or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly

Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally... - Page 3

post #81 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by onci View Post

Dear Mikey Campbell. Just comment to your sentence:

"As Corning stands to lose a major source of revenue if Apple decides to switch away from Gorilla Glass in favor of its own sapphire-based solution, the company is understandably a detractor of the burgeoning tech. "???

You are wrong here. Corning yearly revenue is 8.000 Mio USD and Gorila from apple is only about 150 Mio. This is in your opinion a major source??? Corning has four independent revenue pillars and Gorila is just one small revenue stream for Corning. Corning does not need to be negative on Sapphire. In opposit. They even admited that Sapphire is nice sexy name :-)

Best

Assuming your numbers are accurate, that sounds like a major drop in revenue, especially when you consider it's from just one customer. Furthermore, the same chain of events that brought customers to GG because of Apple may now bring them to sapphire. How much more of their revenue, profits, R&D, investments, etc. are tied in GG? Losing Apple as a customer doesn't sound good for business.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/5/14 at 11:26am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Assuming your numbers are accurate, that sounds like a major drop in revenue, especially when you consider it's from just one customer. Furthermore, the same chain of events that brought customers to GG because of Apple may now bring them to sapphire. How much more of their revenue, profits, R&D, investments, etc. are tied in GG? Losing Apple as a customer doesn't sound good for business.

If they were smart they would have a plan for this scenario. If Corning doesn't have applications for GG on deck just waiting to be launched then its R&D dept didn't do their job.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know why they are even concerned, after all Android has 80% of the market!

/s

/s

/s

Because... losing 20%, or even 10% of your customers overnight is still big loss? /s
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Sapphire is brittle compared to glass, so it isn't 'stronger' and doesn't offer a way to make a screen thinner and lighter.  Really hard substances tend to be brittle.  Diamond may be extremely hard, but it is also brittle.  The toughest mineral is jade (nephrite) so if you wanted to make a hammer, or a phone screen that would best resist breaking, you would use jade.  Unfortunately nephrite isn't transparent.

I've read somewhere that NASA specifies Hardlex crystals for their Astronauts' Omega watches over Sapphire glass. Sapphire is harder to scratch, but Hardlex is less brittle. I don't know how Gorilla glass compares to Hardlex, but compared to Sapphire, it seems to be less scratch resistant and less brittle, not unlike Hardlex. It will be interesting to see how well Sapphire performs on phones. Unless, of course, Apple is not considering this for their smartwatch and some other unspecified products with small glass surface.
post #85 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

If your sapphire plant is solar powered, the amount of energy required isn't that much of an issue.
Still it rises cost for more panels and space.
post #86 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think the forum software is auto-capitalising; I had to correct to lower-case.

Testing iOS's autocorrect I get sapphire ok here on this forum.
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

I've read somewhere that NASA specifies Hardlex crystals for their Astronauts' Omega watches over Sapphire glass. Sapphire is harder to scratch, but Hardlex is less brittle. I don't know how Gorilla glass compares to Hardlex, but compared to Sapphire, it seems to be less scratch resistant and less brittle, not unlike Hardlex. It will be interesting to see how well Sapphire performs on phones. Unless, of course, Apple is not considering this for their smartwatch and some other unspecified products with small glass surface.

Thats not the reason, Hardlex doesn't shatter like glass and so all these tiny fragments aren't going to be floating all over a spacecraft.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #88 of 95
GT Advanced Technologies will be holding a briefing on March 14 where they will be discussing their new technology for creating thin laminate sapphire and solar cells, which according to what i read is made using an ion canon, which can "exfoliate" a layer as thin as 25 microns, and do so cost effectively. I strongly suspect they may talk about the relationship with Apple and will at least hint at what they will be producing for them this year. In their latest quarterly conference call they said that much of their revenues would be backloaded to the second half of 2014 due to the ramp up in production in sappire materials, with as much as 85% of revenues and profits in the second half. Much of that revenue, i think, will come from Apple.

There is also some speculation that Tesla might be involved in some way eventually, with thei expertise in ion lithium battery technology perhaps being used as potential power storage for the Mesa plant. Makes sense to me, considering the meetings Apple had with them last year.

I don't think GTAT will be making enough sapphire glass to meet Apple 's needs until 2015. Until then, perhaps we'll see the 5c (Corning) and the 5s (Sapphire) to further differentiate them, with the iPhone 6 being all sapphire.
post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Funny and true. Corning seem to be protesting too much. If they were confident, they wouldn't need to be so defensive. Maybe sapphire will turn out to be the gorilla in the room.

Those who live in Gorilla Glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #90 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDigger View Post

GT Advanced Technologies will be holding a briefing on March 14 where they will be discussing their new technology for creating thin laminate sapphire and solar cells, which according to what i read is made using an ion canon, which can "exfoliate" a layer as thin as 25 microns, and do so cost effectively. I strongly suspect they may talk about the relationship with Apple and will at least hint at what they will be producing for them this year. In their latest quarterly conference call they said that much of their revenues would be backloaded to the second half of 2014 due to the ramp up in production in sappire materials, with as much as 85% of revenues and profits in the second half. Much of that revenue, i think, will come from Apple.

There is also some speculation that Tesla might be involved in some way eventually, with thei expertise in ion lithium battery technology perhaps being used as potential power storage for the Mesa plant. Makes sense to me, considering the meetings Apple had with them last year.

I don't think GTAT will be making enough sapphire glass to meet Apple 's needs until 2015. Until then, perhaps we'll see the 5c (Corning) and the 5s (Sapphire) to further differentiate them, with the iPhone 6 being all sapphire.

Will be interesting to see if Apple buys up all of the excess capacity of the Tesla factory.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #91 of 95
What about a sapphire micro coating or nano coating?? Hmm
post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarSea2 View Post

What about a sapphire micro coating or nano coating?? Hmm

The GT Advanced sheets are only 20 micrometers so that's "micro"....

post #93 of 95

iPhone 5s run over by car, gorilla and sapphire.

post #94 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iPhone 5s run over by car, gorilla and sapphire.

Unfortunately that test doesn't reveal anything about the disparate materials because the size and placement of the materials are very different, which includes sapphire in the 5S even having a flexible button and protective ring that would allow it to recede as pressure was being applied to the face.

post #95 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

If your sapphire plant is solar powered, the amount of energy required isn't that much of an issue.

...and if your car is solar powered gasoline is not an issue - so what?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Corning exec lets slip the gorillas of war, calls sapphire expensive, heavy, environmentally unfriendly