or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Need advice: I am looking to get a Digital Camera

Need advice: I am looking to get a Digital Camera

post #1 of 17
I am looking at getting a Digital camera soon (since film would cost alot more for the amount I could be using it), and need people's experiences with there Digital camera's.

I am seriously looking at the Nikon CoolPix 995. I heard that the next model may be announced on May 29 which is next Wednesday. If that is true, I will get the Nikon CoolPix 995 when the price drops to $800 Canadian.

I would like to see your pictures from your camera's at the highest res, so I can see what they can do.
Quote:
Get busy living or get busy dying--Stephen King
Quote:
post #2 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by Mac Write:
<strong>I am looking at getting a Digital camera soon (since film would cost alot more for the amount I could be using it), and need people's experiences with there Digital camera's.

I am seriously looking at the Nikon CoolPix 995. I heard that the next model may be announced on May 29 which is next Wednesday. If that is true, I will get the Nikon CoolPix 995 when the price drops to $800 Canadian.

I would like to see your pictures from your camera's at the highest res, so I can see what they can do.</strong><hr></blockquote>
There is good thread about this in the digital hub section. You should go there and read the thread, for the picture sorry i have just a G1 . But when i bought the G1 i compare it to the nikon, the nikon has more natural pictures than the canon, but the canon was more chromatic.
post #3 of 17
powerdoc is right. There are a couple of threads on digital cameras in the Digital Hub forum, where I'm going to move this.

I'll leave it open for people to post links to images, please.

<a href="http://www.dpreview.com" target="_blank">DPReview</a> includes sample images in all its reviews, also.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #4 of 17
I have read the DCResources, and Steve's Digi Cam's review of the Camera.

[quote]
but the canon was more chromatic<hr></blockquote>

what do you mean by more chromatic?
Quote:
Quote:
post #5 of 17
<strong>I have read the DCResources, and Steve's Digi Cam's review of the Camera.

what do you mean by more chromatic?</strong><hr></blockquote>
The colors are more flatteringhly, they are more saturate if you prefear.
post #6 of 17
We have the Coolpix 950. It has served us well for a couple of years. My complaint with it is that it it not sensitive enough. You wind up with exposure times longer than 1/30 sec which means you need a tripod or a flash and the built in flash is not very helpful.

I suggest getting a camera with compact flash storage then getting at least a 128MB card (about $50 newegg.com). Now you can set the jpg compression to the lowest level. That will dramatically improve the sharpness.

In that price range it seems that different cameras each have some good points but none covers all the bases. The Nikon is good, so is the Sony and the Canon. The newer cameras seem to be addressing the sensitivity problem. The CP950 has a sensitivity of about ASA85 or so. Some newer cameras claim to be rated at roughly ASA200 or so.

As pointed out above, dpreview.com has very detailed reviews of most cameras on the market.
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
Unofficial AppleScript Studio Lobbyist
post #7 of 17
For those who can afford it, and need it:

512MB "Transcend" Compact Flash card from <a href="http://www.myDigitalDiscount.com/display_products.cfm?category=Compact%20Flash" target="_blank">http://www.myDigitalDiscount.com/display_products.cfm?category=Compact%20Flash</a> for $219.99 . I just got one from them.

Apparently, it is one of the fastest cards around.

- T.I.
post #8 of 17
[quote]512MB Transcend 25X Fast Professional Grade Compact Flash Card in Retial pack! that includes 5 year warrantee card, small plastic case and sealed retail packaging.

Use to Store Digital Files for Digital Cameras, MP3 Players, Palm Devices, Laptop Computers and Many Other Applications.

This is the highest quality Compact Flash Card on the market.

Compatible with all products that accept Compact Flash.

This product is about 500% faster than most Olympus,
Sandisk, and Lexar Compact Flash. <hr></blockquote>

Hmm... 'retial'

And Olympus doesn't make CompactFlash cards...
I can change my sig again!
post #9 of 17
[quote]Originally posted by Eugene:
<strong>

Hmm... 'retial'

And Olympus doesn't make CompactFlash cards...</strong><hr></blockquote>No matter that. If you look in the <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023" target="_blank">http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1023</a> forums, you will find nothing but praise for the Transcend.

- T.I.
post #10 of 17
Yeah. I was more worried about the retailer...not the manufacturer.
post #11 of 17
<strong>Yeah. I was more worried about the retailer...not the manufacturer.</strong><hr></blockquote>He seemed nice enough when I spoke to him, and I got the card v. quickly. Also, everyone at dpreview seemed happy with him.

- T.I.
post #12 of 17
i have a Sony DSC-S75, 3.3 mp, which I am very happy with. i wouldnt trade it for anything else.

I'm not a pro photographer by far, but here are some pix, including some night-time shots using a slow shutter speed. the night shots aren't quite right, but maybe someday i will actually learn to use the manual settings for aperture and shutter speed.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum3.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/misszee73/PhotoAlbum3.html</a>

make sure to look at the larger image instead of the thumbnails in order to appreciate the sharpness of the picture. on some of those trees, you can actually count the leaves.

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and suffer the loss of his soul?"
"What does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and suffer the loss of his soul?"
post #13 of 17
ive got a canon digital ixus - had it since feb 2001 , i've been a semi - semi - amateur photographer for years..

been thru ' an eos 600 / 100 & Eos-1 ( crap )

and dont miss 35mm one iota..

digital is a WONDERFUL , liberating experience..

HIGHLY recommend it

the quality of printer seems to have more effect than the resolution , my epson 875dc prints stunning A4 pix - really impressive ( after a bit of Painter / PS )..

Really impressed by digital photography.!!!

post #14 of 17
I have decided on the Nikon CoolPix 995. I saw pictures and reviews of the new 4500, and I don't like it. They went back a few steps on it.

So now I need input from all Nikon owners. If you have a Nikon I want your review, along with pictures if possible.

I looked at the 885 today, and the 1.5 LCD is too small for me (which is the size of the LCD on the 4500). The 995 has a 1.8 inch, so that will be easier to see.
Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 17
I don't see how the 4500 is that much worse. You don't want to use the LCD for most shots...maybe macros where more accurate fram coverage is needed.

The 4500 has much more options and should be just as inexpensive as the now obsolete 995.

I can't guarantee the feature-set or the price because it hasn't been released yet.
post #16 of 17
<strong>I don't see how the 4500 is that much worse. You don't want to use the LCD for most shots...maybe macros where more accurate fram coverage is needed.

The 4500 has much more options and should be just as inexpensive as the now obsolete 995.

I can't guarantee the feature-set or the price because it hasn't been released yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here the things that make the 4500 a step back
  • Plastic Tri-pod mount!
  • only 1.5 LCD
  • No Info LCD
  • Smaller Body

I am visually impared, and can't read the 1.5 LCD, I have enough trouble reading text and the menu's on the1.8. As for obsolete, So what if it is being discontinuee? The 4500 will be obsolete in 12 months too.

I don't stay on the bleeding edge. I will be using the Camera until I move to an SLR in 5-7 years.

The 4500 will retail for $900 USD. I can get the 995 for $600 today.

The only Real advantages the 4500 has over the 995 are:
  • Metal Body
  • 4MP
3.3MP is more then enough Mega Pixal's.

The trend is going towards smaller Camera's, and taking out key things that make a camera good, such as moving to EVF from OVF, taking out the Info LCD, going to smaller LCD''s, going to plastic tri-pod mounts and so on. The 995 is the best Camera in it's line, and it's down hill from here.

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: Mac Write ]</p>
Quote:
Quote:
post #17 of 17
<strong>I have decided on the Nikon CoolPix 995. I saw pictures and reviews of the new 4500, and I don't like it.</strong><hr></blockquote>Just in case you didn't see this <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/" target="_blank">http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/</a>

- T.I.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Need advice: I am looking to get a Digital Camera