or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to expand iAd options with full-screen video ads this year - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to expand iAd options with full-screen video ads this year - report

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Advertisers may soon gain a new way to reach users with Apple's iAd service, as the iPhone maker is reportedly poised to make a new full-screen "interstitial" advertising option available later this year.

iAd


Apple will make the new units available through its recently-launched real-time ad exchange, according to Advertising Age. If true, the move would mark the first expansion of iAd's in-app advertising inventory since the service's launch in 2010.

Widely deployed on the web, interstitials are designed to appear in between user actions, such as clicking from one article to another on a news site. Some third-party mobile networks such as Google's AdMob have already given app developers the option of including interstitials in mobile apps, but their use on mobile devices is less widespread.

Interstitial advertisements tend to command a premium over more pervasive banner ads because they are displayed automatically, rather than by a tap or click, and command the subject's attention. There is no word on just how much more Apple would ask advertisers to pay, nor is there a definitive timetable for their implementation.

Neeraj Kochar, an executive at ad buyer Magna Global, told the publication that the idea of full-screen interstitial in-app iAds is "compelling," but that advertisers would likely approach the new units with caution. "Advertisers will test into it, potentially as part of bigger deals with Apple," Kochar predicted.
post #2 of 38

Full screen, eh? That probably means 1920x1080 ads.

 

OH HEY LOOK VIDEO IADS FOR THE APPLE TV JUST LIKE I SAID. :lol: 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #3 of 38
I wonder if this is for Apple TV ads.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder if this is for Apple TV ads.

According to those "in the know" it's TV-like ads but delivered to iPhones and iPads.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to those "in the know" it's TV-like ads but delivered to iPhones and iPads.

1) Could be. I can see a use case in the manner previously mentioned, but I think the Apple TV is a more important avenue for this delivery method.

2) This still doesn't make it feel as dirty as how Ad Sense target's users since the ads will still be isolated to a specific app, and not an aggregate of all your internet usage as you search and visit different sites.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Could be. I can see a use case in the manner previously mentioned, but I think the Apple TV is a more important avenue for this delivery method.

2) This still doesn't make it feel as dirty as how Ad Sense target's users since the ads will still be isolated to a specific app, and not an aggregate of all your internet usage as you search and visit different sites.

Apple doesn't have it's own search engine yet.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #7 of 38
I hate interstitials! From what I understand they're those bloody ads that pop up before almost every video I watch on my YouTube playlists and AdBlock doesn't seem to be able to stop them. They're way too distracting and are always much louder than the music video that follows. And you're forced to watch them for at least a few seconds before being able to 'Skip Ad'. It totally ruins the flow of a playlist, so I can't just sit back, relax and watch/listen to my YouTube playlists anymore. F..k Google for that, and it seems now that Apple's getting in on the act too!
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple doesn't have it's own search engine yet.

Not, but there users that opt-in, and allow their usage to be tracked for advertisers.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Full screen, eh? That probably means 1920x1080 ads.

 

OH HEY LOOK VIDEO IADS FOR THE APPLE TV JUST LIKE I SAID. :lol: 

I haven't read that it would be video. iAd has supported full screen interstitial ads on iPad only since iOS 4.3 but not actual video to my knowledge.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not, but there users that opt-in, and allow their usage to be tracked for advertisers.

Does Apple have customers opt-in or opt-out?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does Apple have customers opt-in or opt-out?

The default became opt-in for iAD ad targeting with iOS6 (or was it 5). I don't think it changed with iOS7. It's still kinda hidden away if you want to opt-out isn't it?

EDIT: Was your question about search or ad targeting? Sorry if you meant the first one.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Advertisers may soon gain a new way to reach users with Apple's iAd service, as the iPhone maker is reportedly poised to make a new full-screen "interstitial" advertising option available later this year.
 
iAd

 

 

Interstitial advertising is the best for devs because users can't escape it, so the devs make more money from the advertising.  Apple has always been good to the devs!

post #13 of 38
For those unfamiliar with what an ad exchange is (Apple rolled theirs out in the last couple of weeks but keepin' it on the down-low with no official announcement) BI talked about what Apple planned in an article last year. In general companies would bid on the right to serve up ads to you based on a "anonymized" general profile of who you are as soon as you log-in to Apple services if I'm understanding it correctly.
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-considers-launching-ad-exchange-2013-5
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #14 of 38
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
... the idea of full-screen interstitial in-app iAds is "compelling," ...

 

Yes it is.  Imagine fully-interactive TV iAds that a user can explore with no time constraint, that contain discoverable content, and that return those all-important customer-engagement analytics to Apple and to the advertiser.  I'd expect Apple to show "compelling" iAds like that to ad executives and ask them "Name one other company, in the entire world, who can do that for you.  We'll wait."

 

The downside, for us end-user TV viewers, is that iAds won't be skippable.  100% guaranteed engagement for each and every one of them.  So maybe Apple could have a two-tier system: free with iAds, paid with no iAds.  And guess what.  The advertisers and/or sponsors would get paid either way.  I think that could make everybody happy.

 

So yeah, the very first time I saw that Nissan Leaf iAd, my first thought was "That would be great on HDTV."

I think Apple designed iAd for TV from day one.


Edited by SockRolid - 3/5/14 at 1:45pm

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #15 of 38
Originally Posted by FromAppleToGear View Post
 

Longtime Apple fan here, but now Samsung is really tempting me:

 

[Gear Spam Image]

 

You new to the forum spamming business?

Because you sure did the newbie thing there.

 

Oh, never mind.  I see you have 3 posts.  All spam?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

You new to the forum spamming business?
Because you sure did the newbie thing there.

Oh, never mind.  I see you have 3 posts.  All spam?

It's so weak, too.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Does Apple have customers opt-in or opt-out?

Opt-in, I do have a iPod Touch and a iPad mini.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAppleToGear View Post

Longtime Apple fan here, but now Samsung is really tempting me:

I'm sending you a burner phone so you can call someone who cares.
Edited by dasanman69 - 3/5/14 at 4:28pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 38

Regarding the topic of iAds...when you pay extra because you go over your data plan, will there be a separate counter that will log the gigs of non-wifi data used on your iPhone or iPad plans when you are forced to watch these ads? Will Apple, your carrier, or the vendor give you data credit or reimburse you for the data used watching their ads? People who watch a 1/2hr TV show seem to tolerate nearly 10 minutes of commercials. Seems like a goal for mobile ads, now videos, that you will pay for & go over plan, unless you cut back your data usage in other areas.

post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Apple doesn't have it's own search engine yet.

'Internet' Search engine.

 

ITMS and AppleTV has plenty of apple developed search engines.

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
 

So yeah, the very first time I saw that Nissan Leaf iAd, my first thought was "That would be great on HDTV."

I think Apple designed iAd for TV from day one.

I agree.   The end game was video content, and the end game of that end game is  AppleTV (or maybe "TVPlay" ;-)

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm sending you a burner phone so you can call someone who cares.

You DIDN'T NEED to copy the damn Brand X ad to make your point!!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You DIDN'T NEED to copy the damn Brand X ad to make your point!!

Fixed. Btw you didn't have to shout. I meant to omit it but got busy doing other things and forgot to come back to it. A PM would've sufficed.
Edited by dasanman69 - 3/5/14 at 4:36pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAppleToGear View Post
 

Longtime Apple fan here, but now Samsung is really tempting me:

 

i had to have missed the sarcasm tag at the end of your post, right?

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

i had to have missed the sarcasm tag at the end of your post, right?

No he's just trying to ruffle feathers.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromAppleToGear View Post
 

Longtime Apple fan here, but now Samsung is really tempting me:

 

 

 

Anybody who says that they are a long-time Apple fan is always a troll.

post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I hate interstitials! From what I understand they're those bloody ads that pop up before almost every video I watch on my YouTube playlists and AdBlock doesn't seem to be able to stop them. They're way too distracting and are always much louder than the music video that follows. And you're forced to watch them for at least a few seconds before being able to 'Skip Ad'. It totally ruins the flow of a playlist, so I can't just sit back, relax and watch/listen to my YouTube playlists anymore. F..k Google for that, and it seems now that Apple's getting in on the act too!

It's true that those ads are annoying but there's nothing that can be done about it.  Google is running a business and those ads pay for those millions upon millions of Youtube videos and the whole infrastructure that supports them.  I'd rather have those ads then to see Youtube go away or have to pay a subscription fee for it.  At least a user still has the option of skipping an ad.  I don't think there's any free service that can exist without ads.  However, Apple could probably implement free services without ads and not even feel the impact considering how much money the company has and nearly total reliance on hardware sales.  That's how Apple could beat Google at its own game with a search engine that has no ads.  I don't think Apple is relying on iAd to make heaps of money.  It's more like something to keep the iOS ecosystem healthy and useful to advertisers.

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's true that those ads are annoying but there's nothing that can be done about it.  Google is running a business and those ads pay for those millions upon millions of Youtube videos and the whole infrastructure that supports them.  I'd rather have those ads then to see Youtube go away or have to pay a subscription fee for it.  At least a user still has the option of skipping an ad.  I don't think there's any free service that can exist without ads.  However, Apple could probably implement free services without ads and not even feel the impact considering how much money the company has and nearly total reliance on hardware sales.  That's how Apple could beat Google at its own game with a search engine that has no ads.  I don't think Apple is relying on iAd to make heaps of money.  It's more like something to keep the iOS ecosystem healthy and useful to advertisers.
Wasn't it meant to be a better way for deva to monetize apps?
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

The downside, for us end-user TV viewers, is that iAds won't be skippable.
One of the great aspects of the atv user experience is the absence of ads. That is why I pay for content on iTunes or Netflix. If in exchange for ads users could get free content that would be a good deal, I guess, though not for me.

I have wondered how that would work for advertisers - the people willing to pay for no ads are probably the people advertisers would love to reach the most. The more people pay up the less valuable the remaining audience would be to the advertisers. That's the logic but the truth is probably that most people cannot resist free, no matter what the price.
post #30 of 38
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

One of the great aspects of the atv user experience is the absence of ads. That is why I pay for content on iTunes or Netflix. If in exchange for ads users could get free content that would be a good deal, I guess, though not for me.

I have wondered how that would work for advertisers - the people willing to pay for no ads are probably the people advertisers would love to reach the most. The more people pay up the less valuable the remaining audience would be to the advertisers. That's the logic but the truth is probably that most people cannot resist free, no matter what the price.

 

Good points.  There must be a Numbers spreadsheet on a MacBook somewhere in Cupertino that shows the value, to advertisers, of the "free with iAds and analytics" vs. the "pay to eliminate iAds" customers.  Maybe Apple will send some "pay to eliminate iAds" customer demographics to the advertisers in addition to the cash.  

 

But no, you should never underestimate the value of analytics (time spent looking at each iAd, how far the user drills down in the content, what type of goods each user is most interested in, ad nauseam.)  And you're right.  Never underestimate the power of "free."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The default became opt-in for iAD ad targeting with iOS6 (or was it 5). I don't think it changed with iOS7. It's still kinda hidden away if you want to opt-out isn't it?

EDIT: Was your question about search or ad targeting? Sorry if you meant the first one.

Actually pretty sure it's opt-out. The button says 'limit ad tracking' and pretty sure you had to turn it on. Limit also means that you can't completely opt-out.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Actually pretty sure it's opt-out. The button says 'limit ad tracking' and pretty sure you had to turn it on. Limit also means that you can't completely opt-out.

Nope. Apple's out-of-the-box setting is opt-in. You are enrolled in the iAD program automatically and targeted ad service is enabled. Default opt-in.

If you don't want to be tracked for targeted ads you have to make an active choice to turn it off. That's if you know to look and where to find it. That hidden setting is confusingly worded, not clear to you apparently or many others.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Nope. Apple's out-of-the-box setting is opt-in. You are enrolled in the iAD program automatically and targeted ad service is enabled. Default opt-in.

If you don't want to be tracked for targeted ads you have to make an active choice to turn it off. That's if you know to look and where to find it. That hidden setting is confusingly worded, not clear to you apparently or many others.

You're actually agreeing with him. If you're already enrolled via factory settings than your option is to opt-out.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're actually agreeing with him. If you're already enrolled via factory settings than your option is to opt-out.

I don't believe so since he disagreed with my initial post "The default became opt-in for iAD ad targeting with iOS6 (or was it 5)" but I expect he'll reply to clarify what he thinks. Yup it can be confusing even trying to discuss how confusing it can be. 1bugeye.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't believe so since he disagreed with my initial post "The default became opt-in for iAD ad targeting with iOS6 (or was it 5)" but I expect he'll reply to clarify what he thinks. Yup it can be confusing even trying to discuss how confusing it can be. 1bugeye.gif

How I see it is if you're already enrolled than the default would be to 'opt-out'. I guess it's all in how to look at it, but it seems like the OP is calling it tomato and you're calling it to-mah-toe but it's the same thing.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #36 of 38

The day I am forced to watch full screen ad on my iOS device is the day I completely abandon Apple ecosystem and start behaving like Apple does not exist (just like Microsoft before them, albeit for different reasons).

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Reply
post #37 of 38
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
The day I am forced to watch full screen ad on my iOS device is the day I completely abandon Apple ecosystem and start behaving like Apple does not exist (just like Microsoft before them, albeit for different reasons).

 

So the 12th of Never, then.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I don't believe so since he disagreed with my initial post "The default became opt-in for iAD ad targeting with iOS6 (or was it 5)" but I expect he'll reply to clarify what he thinks. Yup it can be confusing even trying to discuss how confusing it can be. 1bugeye.gif

When I say opt-out I mean that you are automatically rolled in and have to 'roll out' yourself, the misunderstanding probably lies with you referring to the default mode of the switch as opt-in (so you are automatically opted-in) and I referring to it as the method opt-out: "default option being inclusion or permission" (so you are automatically opted-in by default and have to opt-out). In other words the result is the same :). I just always understand opt-in as the option that you have to actively 'choose to participate'. That's why I misunderstood your post.


Edited by Chipsy - 3/6/14 at 3:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple to expand iAd options with full-screen video ads this year - report