or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Class action suit claims Apple Store POS system discriminates against visually impaired

Class action suit claims Apple Store POS system discriminates against visually impaired - Page 3

post #81 of 90
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

"Protected Class"

How do I get to enroll in a protected class? Why would I want to be unprotected?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #82 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How do I get to enroll in a protected class? Why would I want to be unprotected?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=protected+class

post #83 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am not sure what the motives are behind this, why single out Apple, ( we know instant and free press) but no company today has anything in place to deal with the situation called out in this law suite. Ever company in the America has the same issue if a visually impaired person to pay with credit or Debt car, since the issue is really the fact the CC companies required signatures over a $25 purchase they should sue them, it is their rule.

However, this lawsuit falls into what is call of ADA drive by lawsuits. Someone who claims to have handicap which is protect under the ADA, figuratively drives by a business establishment which they believe do not have reasonable accommodations for people with a handicap and they sue them and claim they were discriminated against will visiting their business. It could be as simple as they do not have a ramp into the business. Most companies settle these suite immediate since it is too costly to fight and most time you never win. There are whole group of people which so call handicaps living off the money they get from these drive by lawsuits.

I do not care they are no suing for money, they are picking on Apple to get visibility in hope that apple will come up with something that every other company has to do as well.

You know this could be good business for apple is they patent the solution, then all company with POS will have to use their solution since they will be required to do so under the ADA requirements.

It's clear in the article why Apple got sued:

"Central to the plaintiff's argument is the fact that other businesses use POS systems that feature tactile key inputs, some of which have braille or other raised markings to denote numbers. Because Apple uses a flat capacitive touchscreen, visually impaired customers cannot independently navigate the on-screen UI when entering a debit card PIN."

Also I don't like the email receipt.  can i just get a paper receipt right on the spot?  guess not.

post #84 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

"Central to the plaintiff's argument is the fact that other businesses use POS systems that feature tactile key inputs, some of which have braille or other raised markings to denote numbers. Because Apple uses a flat capacitive touchscreen, visually impaired customers cannot independently navigate the on-screen UI when entering a debit card PIN."

Also I don't like the email receipt.  can i just get a paper receipt right on the spot?  guess not.

I still stand by my statement, since what you pointed out if only try for a POS which also accepts Debt card since you have to punch in a number. Not every business accept debt card and if they do process a debt card it done as a credit card and you need to sign. The simple solution for apple is not to accept a debit card, only CC and make people sign.

To you other point, yeah you can get a paper receipt at apple, I have done so myself, Believe it or not they have printers hidden under those tables in their stores, I watch the guy pull my receipt form the table.

post #85 of 90
Quote:

I much prefer an email receipt to a paper receipt. I'm just going to lose a paper receipt; an emailed one I have forever stored in an easily searchable folder called 'Receipts'.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #86 of 90
Originally Posted by sandor View Post

Yes, see, that’s a joke. It plays off the fact that protection from discrimination is ignored if it is perceived to serve a minority over a majority.

post #87 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I do not care they are no suing for money in this case, they are picking on Apple to get visibility in hope that apple will come up with something that every other company has to do as well.

You've missed the point completely. The "disabled" people are not behind this at all. It is a lawyer who is looking for a paycheck. He wants to be paid for the time it takes him to deal with this unnecessary lawsuit.

Half the people posting are saying the lawsuit is correct because they have sympathy for disabled people. But it's been reported several times already in the comments that facilities (tactile number pads) ALREADY EXIST in each store to service visually impaired customers properly! So (if true) there is nothing to sue over!

If the facilities do not exist, a law suit is still a scumbag approach as a first attempt to get the problem rectified. Is there no way for someone to report a non-compliant company to the ADA and have a fine or sternly worded - even threatening letter sent by the federal government to the offending company? *That* would be a reasonable first step - and if it were ignored, then perhaps a lawsuit would be the way to go. But it appears that this particular lawyer has hired himself to
champion this cause - and as a slap in the face to the affected class of disabled shoppers - is NOT pursuing damages? The only person he cares about being paid is himself!

This is a frivolous suit filed by a greedy lawyer. Nothing more.
post #88 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenly View Post

You've missed the point completely. The "disabled" people are not behind this at all. It is a lawyer who is looking for a paycheck. He wants to be paid for the time it takes him to deal with this unnecessary lawsuit.

Half the people posting are saying the lawsuit is correct because they have sympathy for disabled people. But it's been reported several times already in the comments that facilities (tactile number pads) ALREADY EXIST in each store to service visually impaired customers properly! So (if true) there is nothing to sue over!

If the facilities do not exist, a law suit is still a scumbag approach as a first attempt to get the problem rectified. Is there no way for someone to report a non-compliant company to the ADA and have a fine or sternly worded - even threatening letter sent by the federal government to the offending company? *That* would be a reasonable first step - and if it were ignored, then perhaps a lawsuit would be the way to go. But it appears that this particular lawyer has hired himself to
champion this cause - and as a slap in the face to the affected class of disabled shoppers - is NOT pursuing damages? The only person he cares about being paid is himself!

This is a frivolous suit filed by a greedy lawyer. Nothing more.

Hey do you reckon travelling to every Apple store in the world on a "fact finding" mission would be covered by "legal expenses" or is that something only politicians can get away with?

Note:- there may be a slight amount of sarcasm used in this post.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #89 of 90
Whatever lawyer accepted this class-action suit did not do their research.

Apple's EasyPay system does not accept debit cards directly on the devices. If somebody wishes to use a card as debit, they are required to use a special terminal, that (in compliance with several laws on the subject) has a physical keypad where the user can enter their PIN.

Every store has at least 2 of these terminals (one on each side of the store). Apple's POS system doesn't discriminate against the visually impaired more than any other retail outlet's.
post #90 of 90
Quote:

Yes.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Class action suit claims Apple Store POS system discriminates against visually impaired