or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to meet Apple's Cook as part of Silicon Valley tour

Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to meet Apple's Cook as part of Silicon Valley tour

post #1 of 37
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to meet with Apple CEO Tim Cook and other top tech executives on a tour of Silicon Valley, which is part of a larger initiative to cultivate a partnership with California over economic and research development.

Netanyahu
California Gov. Jerry Brown (left) meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. | Source: AFP/Getty Images via SFGate

The meeting is slated to take place on Wednesday and comes after Netanyahu signed an agreement with California Gov. Jerry Brown to stoke development of joint projects covering tech, cybersecurity and the environment, reports SFGate.

As for the meet-up with Cook, topics up for discussion are unknown, though Apple has major investments in Israel, including an active research and development center.

During the company's quarterly conference call for the first quarter of 2012, Apple announced it had acquired flash memory technology firm Anobit. The buy, which is thought to be the first under Cook's tenure, has morphed into SoC development and has generated a number of patents relating to flash memory systems and structures.

Apple currently has three R&D facilities operating in Israel, including a development center in the Ra'anana Industrial zone staffed by former Texas Instruments engineers.

Most recently, Apple widened its reach in the region with the purchase of PrimeSense, which creates sensors, specialized chips and middle-ware for motion sensing and 3D scanning applications. PrimeSense is perhaps most well-known for its infrared motion tracking tech used in the development of Microsoft's original Kinect sensor.

According to the San Jose Mercury News, the prime minister also has plans to sit down with the founders of WhatsApp, the popular messaging company recently purchased by Facebook for a massive $16 billion.
post #2 of 37
What I wouldn't give to have a man like Bibi as President of the United States right now. Putin would be shaking in his boots if he had to face an America with a real leader in Netanyahu rather than laughing in Barack Obama's face as he does now.
post #3 of 37
So the same guy that the media would have us believe told so-called "climate change deniers" to get out of the stock is meeting with the very right of center Netanyahu? How will the media (both left and right) spin this? People on the left hate Netanyahu and people on the right falsely think Cook hates anyone who doesn't agree with him politically.
post #4 of 37

Apple has huge investment capital in Israel.  These politician types know on which side their bread is buttered.  So do the suits!

post #5 of 37

Netanyahu is the Israeli version of George W. Bush. 

post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

What I wouldn't give to have a man like Bibi as President of the United States right now. Putin would be shaking in his boots if he had to face an America with a real leader in Netanyahu rather than laughing in Barack Obama's face as he does now.

Don't sweat it. No one in the US outside of an extreme right-wing agenda respects the man. Even in his own country he is loathed.

post #7 of 37
Quote:

Can you please explain the connection between Putin, Obama and Netanyahu? Except for the Nobel peace prize, of course, except Netanyahu still does not fit in unless we start talking about the fate of jews in ww2.
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdsa View Post

unless we start talking about the fate of jews in ww2.

Oh dear. Let's please not get into that. Political discussions on AI are bad enough without bringing the Holocaust into things

post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Political discussions on AI are bad enough
My point exactly.
post #10 of 37

Tim Cook will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss buying Israel. Netanyahu will be holding out for Cook to let him throw in several hundred thousand Palestinians in with the deal.

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #11 of 37
Quote:

Whatever you have lying around the house, take two of them and see how you feel in the morning. Better, I hope.
post #12 of 37

Not to bright a statement from you!

post #13 of 37

This man should be in the dock for war crimes, not being feted by Tim Cook et al.

Shame on you Apple, shame on you.

Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
post #14 of 37
Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post
This man should be in the dock for war crimes, not being feted by Tim Cook et al.

It’s not like Apple has operations in Israel or anything.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s not like Apple has operations in Israel or anything.

You forgot the /s tag

post #16 of 37
Quote:

Shame on you Apple, shame on you.
What war crimes should he be tried for? Blowing up civilian busses? Shooting up schools? Breaking into a house and slaughtering an entire family in their sleep?
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post

What war crimes should he be tried for? Blowing up civilian busses? Shooting up schools? Breaking into a house and slaughtering an entire family in their sleep?

Yes, the Israelis do all that and far, far worse. Mostly in the settlements they built illegally on land stolen from the Palestinians. They also shoot dead unarmed children for throwing stones and steal water supplies from the Palestinians, as well as making their life hell by forcing apartheid on them. See www www.palestinecampaign.org for more.

post #18 of 37
From a purely business perspective, I know several companies that have had business dealings with Israeli companies and it never ended well for them (the American companies), including mine. So based on experience, I don't get all the hype. California has already given millions to Israeli companies to do business in California, only to have them outsource all their materials from overseas. Go figure. I want to know what Israel is going to do for America.
post #19 of 37

I had no idea Cook was supposed to meet racist supremacists and war criminals like Bibi "the car salesman" Netanyahu - terrible news, to say the least. 

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #20 of 37
Quote:

Yes, the Israelis do all that and far, far worse. Mostly in the settlements they built illegally on land stolen from the Palestinians. They also shoot dead unarmed children for throwing stones and steal water supplies from the Palestinians, as well as making their life hell by forcing apartheid on them. See www www.palestinecampaign.org for more.

And what land have they allegedly "stolen"?

post #21 of 37
Quote:

And what land have they allegedly "stolen"?

Please read some unbiased history (e.g. Jews for Justice for Palestinians http://jfjfp.com). The land I refer to is Palestinian land agreed by international accord. This has been systematically stolen by settlements which are completely illegal under international law. Most recently the Apartheid Barrier the Israelis built stole huge swathes of Palestinian land. Israel has ignored numerous UN resolutions on this subject.

Israel is attempting to Bantustan Palestine, to split it into small meaningless powerless states. It already makes life hell for Palestinians with innumerable, pointless checkpoints. Effectively, it’s trying to ethically cleanse Palestine. The more you find out, the more you realise how profoundly evil Israel’s actions have been. Check out www.ifamericansknew.org/history/maps.html for clear maps.

post #22 of 37
Goebbels would be proud.
post #23 of 37
Quote:

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Bibi is a "real leader", whatever the **** that means. He might be a far-right nutjob that is even too far to the right of most Israelis, a sociopath, a serial liar, and overall a repugnant, disgusting human being- but he's a "real leader". Also, I somehow doubt anyone can make Putin "shake in this boots", Netanyahu included. What exactly do you propose the US do- bomb Russia?

Are you afraid you're gonna get nuked by Russia or something, or that your life is in imminent danger, and that only Netanyahu could save you? That's the only rational context I can find for using such a strong expression as "What I wouldn't give". What exactly would Netanyahu offer your personally? The answer is absolutely nothing- except for the fact that you no doubt agree with his crazed far right, human-rights trampling, abrasive, and discriminatory ideologically- and that's what makes him a "real leader" to you. "Real leaders" order the bull-dozing of Palestinian homes on a daily basis to make way for illegal settlements, and imposing economic conditions that keep a population on their knees.  I can guarantee that Tim Cook disagrees him him on probably every philosophy and issue imaginable- and probably is disgusted by the man- but the meeting is for business purposes, so Cook will tolerate the stench. I'm not the one that brought politics into this, but I won't let a post like yours go an-answered. 

Edited by Slurpy - 3/6/14 at 12:53pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:

The more you find out, the more you realise how profoundly evil Israel’s actions have been.

Do "profoundly evil actions" include intercepting a boatload of Iranian M-302 missiles headed toward Gaza?

post #25 of 37
Quote:

Do "profoundly evil actions" include intercepting a boatload of Iranian M-302 missiles headed toward Gaza?

You mean like not being able to shoot the thief once he invades your house, rapes your sister, turns on the TV, starts watching a nice show and enjoy your warm bed?

Sure.

post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You mean like not being able to shoot the thief once he invades your house, rapes your sister, turns on the TV, starts watching a nice show and enjoy your warm bed?

Sure.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And even if that did happen, you can't judge a nation based on the actions of an individual

post #27 of 37
Quote:

After years of Israeli provocation and refusal to engage in any meaningful peace process, do you think it’s surprising that the people of Gaza, sick of the Israelis and the corruption of their own government, voted for extremists ? And what about the shooting dead of unarmed Turkish protesters on the peace convoy ? Israeli’s crimes are pretty much endless, but they get away with it with a slick propaganda campaign and the immediate labelling of ‘anti-semite’ to anyone who opposes them.

This isn’t the proper forum for this debate so this will be my last comment. Go to Israel and Palestine and see the situation from both sides, then consider your position. If you’re an American, bear in mind that the picture you’re getting in your news media will almost certainly be biased in Israel’s favour.

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben9753 View Post

Goebbels would be proud.

Goebbels said that the greater the lie, the more easily people swallow it, something Israel knows only too well: when they use depleted uranium shells and horrific phosphorus bombs (banned by the Geneva Convention) against non-combatants, the US media barely notices; a few pathetic home-made rockets land in the suburbs of Tel Aviv and the whole world knows in minutes. 

Armed to the teeth with the world’s most sophisticated weaponry, surrounded by supine states, bursting with US money, Israeli settlers bask in swimming pools in their illegal settlements while their Palestinian neighbours have their water stolen from them. If you don’t believe me, turn off Fox News and read any unbiased report of what’s really going on. Read the original version of Richard Goldstone (a Jew and a Zionist) on Operation Cast Lead. Or ask anyone who’s been there.

post #29 of 37
Quote:

Or like the time they rained down a swat team on an unarmed vessel carrying nothing but humanitarian aid, killing and maiming many, and then after a through investigation trotted out pocket knives and a broken guard-rail as "evidence" that the group was violent?

Not like it's worth responding to someone like who, who clearly coudln't give 2 shit about the actual facts of the Israeli-Palestinian situation. Also, your retort is utterly non-sensical. Even if that particular action is not "profoundly evil", what exactly is the conclusion? They're guilty of enough evil actions, so why the **** bring up that example as if you made some sort of point? It's like pointing to a serial rapist and mass murder, and asking if eating breakfast is profoundly evil, as that person does, and thus he is actually not evil after all. What a childish, petty, cowardly way of responding. Incredible of Israeli apologists have nothing but straw-men in their arsenal of debate.  

post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Or like the time they rained down a swat team on an unarmed vessel carrying nothing but humanitarian aid, killing and maiming many, and then after a through investigation trotted out pocket knives and a broken guard-rail as "evidence" that the group was violent?

Not like it's worth responding to someone like who, who clearly coudln't give 2 shit about the actual facts of the Israeli-Palestinian situation. Also, your retort is utterly non-sensical. Even if that particular action is not "profoundly evil", what exactly is the conclusion? They're guilty of enough evil actions, so why the **** bring up that example as if you made some sort of point? It's like pointing to a serial rapist and mass murder, and asking if eating breakfast is profoundly evil, as that person does, and thus he is actually not evil after all. What a childish, petty, cowardly way of responding. Incredible of Israeli apologists have nothing but straw-men in their arsenal of debate.  

You are entitled to believe what you wish, and you clearly believe what your saying enough that any argument, no matter how valid would be pointless. Just know that the Palestinians are not as innocent as you or they claim to be.

As for your "serial rapist and mass murderer" comparison, it is invalid as the two issues are entirely different. Intercepting deadly missiles intended to be used against innocent civilians cannot be compared to eating breakfast in any reality. You clearly misunderstood my point.

post #31 of 37
Quote:

Or ask anyone who’s been there.

Like practically every one of my relatives?

post #32 of 37
Quote:

Then perhaps your relatives need to talk to my relatives.

And that really is me out of here.
post #33 of 37
Quote:

Your relatives have been to Gaza and the west bank? That's what he meant by "there", obviously. But of course you knew that, and decided to respond with deceipt and sarcasm. Israelis by and large have no fucking idea how life is in those areas. All they are fed is the never ending fear-mongering by their gvt about how they're under an existential threat, and the demonization of Palestinians. And most believe it. Expecting your relatives to have any clear, objective view of the situation is ludicrous. But of course, you already knew that.
post #34 of 37
Quote:

You are entitled to believe what you wish, and you clearly believe what your saying enough that any argument, no matter how valid would be pointless. Just know that the Palestinians are not as innocent as you or they claim to be.

As for your "serial rapist and mass murderer" comparison, it is invalid as the two issues are entirely different. Intercepting deadly missiles intended to be used against innocent civilians cannot be compared to eating breakfast in any reality. You clearly misunderstood my point.

No, I understood your "point" (if one would call it that) perfectly. But my very simple to understand analogy obviously went way over your head. I know eating breakfast is not the same as "intercepting missiles". But the analogy is completely valid- in that you bring up an unrelated incident, which is suddenly supposed to excuse all of Israel's past and present actions. What Israel has done to the Palestinians during the last few decades is fundamentally evil- and include practices which they learned from the Nazis. My point is pointing to your interpretation of one incident (which really has little relevance) does not somehow negate that or Israel's philosophies.  It does not negate the thousands of innocents they've slaughtered and maimed, not to mention subjugating and starving millions of people, stifling them economically and spiritually, and invading/occupying other countries while using banned weapons. Children are still being maimed and killed by unexploded cluster mines that Israel planted in Lebanon in 2006 and 2009, not to mention white phosphorus and depleted uranium. So no, I don't much give a **** about your iranian ship. 

post #35 of 37
Tell me Slurpy, why do you believe the Palestinians over the Israelis?
post #36 of 37
Next comment

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

Please excuse my lame English grammar. American Sign Language is my first language and English's the second.
Tallest Skill, you can edit my English grammar for me. My English grammar sucks! lol

post #37 of 37
What y'all didn't know is that YHWH (G-d) said, "do not divide MY land (Israel). The land does NOT belong to Palestine, period. In AD 70 and afterward, the ancient Roman Empire destroy and blotted Israel almost off the map and gave the land to Palestine. But there's ancient and archeology evidence that the land still exist and belong to Jews that YHWH gave to them thru Abraham, Isaac (NOT Ishmael (Arab and Palestine)) Jacob (YHWH changed Jacob to Israel) and his descendant.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to meet Apple's Cook as part of Silicon Valley tour