or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-res display processing company Pixelworks reveals Apple as major customer

High-res display processing company Pixelworks reveals Apple as major customer

post #1 of 13
Shares of Pixelworks surged more than 30 percent in premarket trading on Thursday, after the company revealed that Apple represented more than 10 percent of its revenue in 2013.

It's unknown exactly what Apple has purchased from Pixelworks, but the company makes video and pixel processing semiconductors and software, benefitting from high-resolution screens like Apple's Retina displays. Pixelworks says it delivers its technology as IP cores, semiconductors, software and custom ASIC solutions, allowing its customers to "deliver the highest video quality in a multitude of applications and form factors."

The target market for Pixelworks includes tablets, smartphones, and ultraportable notebooks --?all markets where Apple competes -- as well as large flat panel displays and digital projection systems.

Pixelworks' sales to Apple were disclosed on Wednesday in an official filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which was discovered by Mark Gomes of PTT Research. It marks the first time that a relationship between the two companies has been confirmed.

In addition to Apple, Pixelworks also revealed that NEC and Hitachi are a major customer, each also representing more than 10 percent of revenue. Past major customers to Pixelworks include Panasonic and Seiko Epson.

In all, revenue attributable to Pixelworks' top five customers in 2013, including Apple, Hitachi and NEC, represented 57 percent of the company's revenue in 2013.
post #2 of 13

Google or Samsung will buy this company for billions based on this article alone for the only reason of slowing/screwing over Apple.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #3 of 13

When a company reveals that Apple is one of its major customers, the shares in that company surge.

... meanwhile, back at Apple.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #4 of 13
It sounds like it could be for nearly everything Apple makes.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #5 of 13
This:

http://seekingalpha.com/pr/8558901-skyworth-selects-pixelworks-pa168-motionengine-video-display-processors-to-power-ultra-hd-4k-tvs

This:

http://vuemagic.pixelworks.com/vuemagic-mate.php

This:

http://vuemagic.pixelworks.com/vuemagic.php

This:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/03/apple-reveals-unique-interactive-airplay-feature-for-tv.html

And this:

Pixelworks, Inc. (PXLW) -NasdaqGM  Follow
6.95 Up 2.15(44.79%) 10:23AM EST - Nasdaq Real Time Price
Get the big picture on all your investments.
Sync your Yahoo portfolio now
Prev Close: 4.80
Open: 6.59
Bid: 7.07 x 100
Ask: 7.08 x 200
1y Target Est: 6.00
Beta: 0.47
Next Earnings Date: N/A
Day's Range: 6.31 - 7.40
52wk Range: 2.11 - 7.40
Volume: 6,322,782
Avg Vol (3m): 507,293
Market Cap: 152.79M
P/E (ttm): N/A
EPS (ttm): -0.45
Div & Yield: N/A (N

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PXLW
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When a company reveals that Apple is one of its major customers, the shares in that company surge.

... meanwhile, back at Apple.

Right, my immediate reaction ...
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #7 of 13
At a market cap of (at this moment) about $154 million, this would be an easy acquisition for Apple. That it has not been purchased suggests that Apple is comfortable with the situation. I Imagine its license for Pixelworks' IP gives Apple everything it needs without the additional expense.
post #8 of 13

I am waiting patiently for Apple to show some love to LQMT..... :\

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Google or Samsung will buy this company for billions ....

Hope so. Bought some today.8-)

post #10 of 13
I never chase after the stock of Apple suppliers. Apple may decide the next day to drop them.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I never chase after the stock of Apple suppliers. Apple may decide the next day to drop them.

Oh, Apple is not the only company needing energy-efficient displays.

Moreover, it's a credible signal of quality.

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have observed that, even if Apple doesn't drop a supplier, the supplier's stock starts mirroring AAPLs price movement, bogus rumors and all.
post #13 of 13

I am just wondering, is it legal for Apple to invest into their supplier prior to using their component on open market, and then sell it later to make profits?  ( But not selling them before Apple dumping them ).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › High-res display processing company Pixelworks reveals Apple as major customer