or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout

CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout

post #1 of 61
Only a select number of developers were allowed to work with CarPlay prior to this week's announcement, as Apple is taking a slow approach with its new car infotainment system platform, though integration of the feature with existing iOS applications is said to be a simple process.

CarPlay
Currently announced third-party applications for CarPlay.

Inside details on the behind-the-scenes work that went into this week's CarPlay unveiling was revealed on Thursday by Fast Company, which spoke with Clear Channel Media, one of just four companies that were allowed to develop apps for CarPlay ahead of Apple's announcement. Clear Channel's iHeartRadio was joined by Spotify, Beats Radio and Stitcher as Internet radio applications advertised to support CarPlay at launch.

Brian Lakamp, president of Digital for Clear Channel Entertainment, said his company worked closely with Apple to build the demo that was unveiled this week at the Geneva Motor Show. He said updating the existing iHeartRadio application on iOS to add support for CarPlay was a "fairly quick" process.

Volvo

To keep things simple and consistent, and to cut down on cluttered apps that may be a distraction for drivers. Lakamp said the API for CarPlay features a "relatively straightforward directory structure" for listing songs and artists, while the on-screen controls come with just a "limited set of things you can do."

Fast Company also spoke with an anonymous Apple employee who indicated that safety is a chief concern for the company, which led not only to limited functionality for developers, but also such a small number of developers with access to CarPlay. It's unknown exactly when more developers might gain access to CarPlay to update their own existing iOS applications, as Apple is reportedly taking a "slow and steady" approach in pushing the new platform.

Currently, all third-party applications advertised for CarPlay are music- and radio-based. Apple has promised that "even more supported apps" will be "coming soon," but has not given a timetable or more details for outside developers.

CarPlay

More extensive, however, is the list of car companies that have pledged support for CarPlay, with select vehicles coming this year from Volvo, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Hyundai, and Ferrari. Future partners that have also committed to support CarPlay are Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Kia, Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi.

The largest omission of support on the automaker front is Volkswagen, which told AppleInsider this week that it is "investigating" in-car infotainment providers beyond Google. Also missing is electric car maker Tesla, despite the fact that it has reportedly held talks with Apple about unknown matters.

On the Internet radio front, the most glaring absence of application support is Pandora, though there are many other services that go beyond the four limited partners announced by Apple. Pandora said in a statement to MacRumors this week that it continues to view Apple as a "valued partner," but the company declined to go into further detail.
post #2 of 61
DeLorean is also due to be added to this list in 1985.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #3 of 61
Was planning on getting a new Audi later this year. Sure won't get one now without iOS support. Why they would consider going with Google with all the risk of Android malware, etc. is beyond me. Don't they understand who their customers are (at least in the US)?
post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post

Was planning on getting a new Audi later this year. Sure won't get one now without iOS support. Why they would consider going with Google with all the risk of Android malware, etc. is beyond me. Don't they understand who their customers are (at least in the US)?

I'm in the same boat. Was extremely disappointed. I'm sure Google woo'd them with some offer, but it's a very short-sighted decision for Audi. Just does not fit with their brand at all. Idiotic decision by their management. 

post #5 of 61
I work for a Ford dealer and I can't wait until Ford dumps Sync.
post #6 of 61

A slow rollout makes sense. Quality control and guidelines are critical, not just spamming every possible car possible. 

post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

that little 17W adaptor to power Car Play may not be be able to step down the 1.21 gigawatt power bus of that deLorean

post #8 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post

"CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts and calendars"

Whoop. There goes my privacy

post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm in the same boat. Was extremely disappointed. I'm sure Google woo'd them with some offer, but it's a very short-sighted decision for Audi. Just does not fit with their brand at all. Idiotic decision by their management. 

Cross licensing of the self-driving car patents?

If you look at this, it doesn't look much different than the 'Smart TV' Market.   Google TV is a big player in that market.

And I see CarPlay as an embedded AppleTV.   The parallels will be interesting...  Especially with MB looking to add CarPlay as AfterMarket Options for some recent models.
post #10 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

With no clarification of what that statement means, it doesn't really tell us anything.  If it all happens on-device in a user-visible way it's hardly a problem.

e.g. since location is a part of calendar appointments, then it makes sense for iOS to be intelligent enough to tell that I want to drive where my next appointment is, if it's in 30 minutes time, and a 30 minutes drive away.  Doubly do if I've put in transit time (built into Mac OS X Calendar).  If the location is Ben's house, and I have a Ben in my contacts with a home address, that's also a simple integration  that doesn't invade my privacy - it's all on-device using information that I've put there in a way that is clear to me.  Email and text messages it's less obvious how they'll be used, but maybe it refers to incoming communications, and re-routing a direction based on the sender, on command.

Simple intelligent integrations that don't invade anyone's privacy.

But as said, the statement could use some clarification.

censored

censored

post #11 of 61
Quote:

I'd be just as concerned about choosing a car that had CarPlay 1.0 in it, as there may not be any upgrade path. Sure Apple is very generous with upgrades for your phone but car manufacturers don't care so much because they don't have an ecosystem to maintain and you are only going to buy a car every few years. I'd like to hear more about the car OS upgradability to remain compatible with whatever Apple does in the future, before becoming an early adopter.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:

With no clarification of what that statement means, it doesn't really tell us anything.  If it all happens on-device in a user-visible way it's hardly a problem.

Driver may have a passenger and might not like having addresses displayed on the screen from all their recent texts and emails.

post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Driver may have a passenger

Driver doesn't really need to be viewing info he doesn't want the passenger to see. Moreover....who are you driving around?

post #14 of 61
Quote:

It'd be quite a upgrade from this. lol.gif

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #15 of 61
Quote:

Oh ... That's what that little hidden compartment was for 1biggrin.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #16 of 61
"...while the on-screen controls come with just a "limited set of things you can do."

Wonder what the Samsung/Android interpretation of this would be. I bet their first "PlayCar" app will be Angry Birds (Auto)mobile.
post #17 of 61
Quote:

When you go to cheat your wife with someone else you don't have use you're iPhone or use it but make sure you had cleared history 

post #18 of 61
Quote:

An intriguing prospect.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #19 of 61
Quote:

Very odd. I think Google/Samsung must have handed over a nice wadge to Audi.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #20 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

"...while the on-screen controls come with just a "limited set of things you can do."

Wonder what the Samsung/Android interpretation of this would be. I bet their first "PlayCar" app will be Angry Birds (Auto)mobile.

And Microsoft's will be 'TruckWork'.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #21 of 61
Quote:

Quote:

With no clarification of what that statement means, it doesn't really tell us anything.  If it all happens on-device in a user-visible way it's hardly a problem...... the statement could use some clarification.

I doubt that you're going to get any.

post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:

Driver may have a passenger

Driver doesn't really need to be viewing info he doesn't want the passenger to see. Moreover....who are you driving around?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/162573/roundup-video-of-apples-carplay-in-action-with-mercedes-volvo-ferrari

Check out the Volvo video at the 2:37 mark.

In the demo the names of places you been to or texted about recently show on the screen. You would have to disable the assistive feature to avoid that. Perhaps you don't want the wife to know you recently went to the diamond ring store for any number of reasons. It also shows your recent calls on screen. Again, you might have a good reason not to show that list to your wife or girlfriend.

Let's say you receive a call while driving from someone who was not in your contact list, perhaps your banker. You then hang up but think out loud, oh I should have asked him something else but I don't have his number. Your wife, being the clever iPhone user just reaches over and taps the recents button and voila, there is your recents lists in all its glory. 

post #23 of 61

have worked in this market in the past, I'd say it has more to do with carefully navigating political waters between OEMs and Tier 1 head unit suppliers, than technical execution.  In a way its similar to AppleTV and the cable vs content providers.   Slow rolls out is probably best and political issues resolved on a case by case basis. This takes control away from traditional players who I am sure are not completely happy or comfortable with this.  OEMs don't want to lose their "brand" and Tier 1 suppliers don't want to lose business which would normally be done by them for the OEM. 

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #24 of 61
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post

"CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts and calendars"

your smartphone likely already does this all by itself now if you are using iOS7 or modern version of Android.  On iOS you can turns this "feature" off. Not sure about Android however. 

post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

your smartphone likely already does this all by itself now if you are using iOS7 or modern version of Android.  On iOS you can turns this "feature" off. Not sure about Android however. 

If I had a smartphone it would not run iOS or Android

post #26 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really?  Pretty rubbish feature then if no one knows about it because it never gets explained.

If nothing else, what Apple mean will become clearer when the product ships.

censored

censored

post #27 of 61
So now it's clear. CarTunes paves the way for iOS to support multiple screen sizes. Larger iPhone screens won't be far behind.
post #28 of 61
Quote:

I wrote a letter to VW today. Very disappointing.
post #29 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Yes Android too, The setting is under accounts and privacy, then turn off "personal results". The setting to turn off contact recognition is under the same heading.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #30 of 61
Quote:

Quote:

Really?  Pretty rubbish feature then if no one knows about it because it never gets explained.

If nothing else, what Apple mean will become clearer when the product ships.

Not sure you understood my post.

Not for the first time.

post #31 of 61

Maybe you should rephrase then, instead of being passive aggressive?

Misunderstandings happen.

censored

censored

post #32 of 61
Quote:

In what way? iOS already has access to that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #33 of 61
Quote:

You've got that right! CarPlay is awesome!!
post #34 of 61
Quote:

Be quiet. iOS already uses that stuff, even Siri. It's not a big deal if only you see if. If you don't like it, don't use it.😑

Quote:

Driver may have a passenger and might not like having addresses displayed on the screen from all their recent texts and emails.
Then don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

exactly!
post #35 of 61
Quote:

Maybe you should rephrase then, instead of being passive aggressive?

Misunderstandings happen.

Or you can reread in context, and try and figure it out.

Or not.
post #36 of 61
Quote:

Or not.
Bingo
post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Be quiet. iOS already uses that stuff, even Siri. It's not a big deal if only you see if. If you don't like it, don't use it.😑

My point is that you people complain that Google looks through your stuff

post #38 of 61
Quote:

Or not.

You think I didn't read it in context the first time?  I took your point to be that that you doubt Apple will clarify an ambiguous piece of text they published on their own website.

Not that?  Explain what your point is more clearly then, because from where I'm sitting that's the most obvious interpretation of your words.

Or don't, be unhelpful, I care not.

censored

censored

post #39 of 61
Quote:

My point is that you people complain that Google looks through your stuff
Google does. And they store it, and use it for Ads. Apple doesn't.
post #40 of 61
Quote:

You think I didn't read it in context the first time?  I took your point to be that that you doubt Apple will clarify an ambiguous piece of text they published on their own website.

Not that?  Explain what your point is more clearly then, because from where I'm sitting that's the most obvious interpretation of your words.

Or don't, be unhelpful, I care not.

Please give up. Run along. Enough already with getting others to do your thinking for you.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout