or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post


Google does. And they store it, and use it for Ads. Apple doesn't.


That's the problem. Ya just never know. As far as the general population knew as of last year, the government didn't snoop through their stuff

post #42 of 61
No Chrysler/Dodge in the list? Guess the new Durango is out for me. Owned the last two and was looking into buying the new one but I plan to make my next vehicle purchase based on Car Play supporters. I like this idea of infotainment for my next vehicle. Guess I'll be moving to Nissan next.
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

 

Emes, why do you always have to be such a dick?


I apologize if that's the way I seem. Rest assured I have no intention of appearing as male genitals. But if you have a problem with my views and opinions I suggest blocking/ignoring me.

post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post


I apologize if that's the way I seem. Rest assured I have no intention of appearing as male genitals. But if you have a problem with my views and opinions I suggest blocking/ignoring me.

Thanks for the tip man!
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post


Thanks for the tip man!


My pleasure. While I have no intention of altering my opinions, I do not wish to cause arguments or distress when not necessary.

post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple View Post
 

"CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts and calendars"

Whoop. There goes my privacy

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

your smartphone likely already does this all by itself now if you are using iOS7 or modern version of Android.  On iOS you can turns this "feature" off. Not sure about Android however. 


If I had a smartphone it would not run iOS or Android

 

 

got me totally confused here. You say you are concerned you will lose your privacy with CarPlay. When I tell you that you can turn this off with iOS, you state that if you HAD a smartphone it would not run iOS.  

 

So to go back to your originally statement, how would your lose your privacy with CarPlay if you don't even have an iPhone, let alone consider one.  I think you would save a lot of dialog by simply saying, "I don't have any interest CarPlay because I don't even have an iPhone and will never buy one".  I think that would have pretty much made an air tight argument on your position and save a lot of wasted dialog, would it not?  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post


Thanks for the tip man!


My pleasure. While I have no intention of altering my opinions, I do not wish to cause arguments or distress when not necessary.

Emes,

I like your response.  However I just got to wonder, if you could care less about CarPlay because you won't ever consider buying an iPhone, why are you even posting to this thread?   To start a debate of something which you have no interest in the first place?  I just don't understand your motivation.    Are you just trying to change OTHER's opinions only? Don't you think that is a pretty unrealistic goal coming from a person who openly states that they refuse to change their own opinions about something that they don't even care about? ; as you have cleared stated above.

 

  So what's your angle? Why post at all in this thread?  No offense, but it seems to me that this would be pretty good waste of time for both yourself to even post and for those replying to your posts on this subject? Don't you think? 


Edited by snova - 3/7/14 at 12:53am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

your smartphone likely already does this all by itself now if you are using iOS7 or modern version of Android.  On iOS you can turns this "feature" off. Not sure about Android however. 

Yes Android too, The setting is under accounts and privacy, then turn off "personal results". The setting to turn off contact recognition is under the same heading.

Will this also turn off "Google Now" which also turns off the voice assistant?      It was my understanding (which could be wrong) that Google Now encompasses both the personal voice assistant (like Siri) AND constantly does background analyzes of your data to predict what you will do next, where you will travel to, who you will call, etc as as single feature.   I think in iOS these two features are separate. You don't have to turn off Siri to turn off the background analysis feature of where you will likely go next, and who you will call, etc.   Am I mistaken about Google Now encompassing both of these features into a single unit? 


Edited by snova - 3/7/14 at 1:20am
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post
 

your smartphone likely already does this all by itself now if you are using iOS7 or modern version of Android.  On iOS you can turns this "feature" off. Not sure about Android however. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what setting are you referring to here?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #49 of 61
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
Thanks for the tip man!

 

Are you joking? Don’t listen to him! That’s what they want you to do. 

post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Will this also turn off "Google Now" which also turns off the voice assistant?      It was my understanding (which could be wrong) that Google Now encompasses both the personal voice assistant (like Siri) AND constantly does background analyzes of your data to predict what you will do next, where you will travel to, who you will call, etc as as single feature.   I think in iOS these two features are separate. You don't have to turn off Siri to turn off the background analysis feature of where you will likely go next, and who you will call, etc.   Am I mistaken about Google Now encompassing both of these features into a single unit? 

You can be quite anonymous and still have Google Now. The user also selects what 'cards' are displayed, e.g., weather, stock prices, sports scores, package tracking and delivery, flight info, etc...
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

Will this also turn off "Google Now" which also turns off the voice assistant?      It was my understanding (which could be wrong) that Google Now encompasses both the personal voice assistant (like Siri) AND constantly does background analyzes of your data to predict what you will do next, where you will travel to, who you will call, etc as as single feature.   I think in iOS these two features are separate. You don't have to turn off Siri to turn off the background analysis feature of where you will likely go next, and who you will call, etc.   Am I mistaken about Google Now encompassing both of these features into a single unit? 

Google Now and Voice Search are two separate features AFAIK
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57470504-251/android-4.1s-voice-search-not-the-same-as-google-now/

Google Now has it's own privacy settings within Android (and now Chrome too). Simply open the Google Search app, then settings, then Google Now. From there you can finely control the sources that Google Now uses or turn it off altogether. Apps, Contacts, Email, Chrome, Internet, Play Movies, Play Music and a number of others can all be removed as sources if that's what you prefer.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/7/14 at 7:27am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You can be quite anonymous and still have Google Now.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the joke.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Ha! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the joke.

You're most welcome, and I'll hold up a mirror for you if you want a even funnier one.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you joking? Don’t listen to him! That’s what they want you to do. 

I'm confused. He suggested I block him, I thought it was a good tip and I blocked him.
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you joking? Don’t listen to him! That’s what they want you to do. 

You're one of the few here who seem to understand that blocking only makes that poster seem to be correct when "those who know different" don't dispute it.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #56 of 61

Insider knowledge.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
[...] If the location is Ben's house, and I have a Ben in my contacts with a home address, that's also a simple integration that doesn't invade my

 

In the early stages I'd be more concerned about whether or not the sharing of data between apps actually works than any privacy concerns! (See my posts in other threads about how Calendar, Contacts and Maps in Mavericks conspired to invent places that don't exist.)

 

Prying my tongue out of my cheek now! ;)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 
I have no time for your nonsense.

 

FWIW, I found my stress level dropped significantly when I blocked that person. It seems like (s)he finds enjoyment in demeaning others. I'm sure (s)he has some valuable observations, but life's too short to wade through venom trying to find them.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

No Chrysler/Dodge in the list? Guess the new Durango is out for me. Owned the last two and was looking into buying the new one but I plan to make my next vehicle purchase based on Car Play supporters. I like this idea of infotainment for my next vehicle. Guess I'll be moving to Nissan next.

 

After our experience with Jeep sound system failures, I don't think it would do Apple's brand any good to partner with Chrysler.

 

The sound system in our Commander failed. We were advised that there was a recall covering that issue. It was repaired.

 

One year later it did exactly the same thing. Identical symptoms. It was covered under warranty.

 

Another year later it did exactly the same thing AGAIN. That time we were told that the vehicle is out of warranty so we're out of luck. Absolutely no acknowledgement of it being a recurring issue or in any way related to the initial fault. We're reluctant to pay the hundreds of dollars it will cost to repair it because repairs are only covered for 90 days, and if it continues the existing pattern and fails AGAIN in another year we'll be out of pocket again.

 

No more Chryslers for us.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #59 of 61
Thanks Gatorguy, that article cleared thing up. Great find.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're most welcome, and I'll hold up a mirror for you if you want a even funnier one.

You're right; truth and beauty can be comic too. 😉
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're right; truth and beauty can be comic too. 😉

Touché. 1wink.gif well played sir.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › CarPlay development characterized as easy, but Apple planning 'slow and steady' rollout