or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple issues first OS X 10.9.3 beta, asks developers to focus on graphics and audio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple issues first OS X 10.9.3 beta, asks developers to focus on graphics and audio

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 
A little over one week after its release of the OS X 10.9.2 maintenance update, Apple on Thursday seeded OS X 10.9.3 beta to developers for testing.

13D12


According to people who have seen OS X 10.9.3 beta build 13D12, Apple is asking developers to focus on Graphics Drivers and Audio. Notably absent from the release notes is Mail, which has been a thorn in OS X Mavericks' side since it debuted in October of 2013.

Despite a standalone patch and continued work through maintenance updates 10.9.1 and 10.9.2, users are still complaining of erratic Mail app behaviors including issues with Smart Mailbox functionality and problems with Gmail.

Apple latest released OS X 10.9.2 last week with a fix for the "goto fail" SSL security flaw and feature additions like FaceTime Audio and iMessage blocking.

Developers can download the latest OS X 10.9.3 beta via Software Update or Apple's developer portal.
post #2 of 37

Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.

 

 

I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  

 

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.

post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.


I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.



Sorry to hear about your screw up. Meanwhile, on six Macs on my LAN that have been running Mavericks since it came out and several with the developers' versions, all is working very well. Heck I even have a G3 running OS 9 ... but then I have been using Macs since 1984, perhaps I have a knack you don't ... 1wink.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #4 of 37
Personally I really like Mavericks.

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks so never used the Lion versions.

A few annoyances, but nothing worse than any other OS, just different annoyances.

Only real bug that I've noticed is if you drag a Finder tab over the desktop and let go it puts a little tiny Finder window that you can't select and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the Finder.
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Personally I really like Mavericks.

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks so never used the Lion versions.

A few annoyances, but nothing worse than any other OS, just different annoyances.

Only real bug that I've noticed is if you drag a Finder tab over the desktop and let go it puts a little tiny Finder window that you can't select and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the Finder.

No it doesn't, you have a problem there. I'd try reinstalling the combo update if I were you.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

Personally I really like Mavericks.

I went from Snow Leopard to Mavericks so never used the Lion versions.

A few annoyances, but nothing worse than any other OS, just different annoyances.

Only real bug that I've noticed is if you drag a Finder tab over the desktop and let go it puts a little tiny Finder window that you can't select and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the Finder.

I like it too! I get amazing battery life. I have found no bugs at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.


I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.

Sounds like something's wrong with your install. Try reinstalling. I've had no bugs
post #7 of 37
The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.
post #8 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.
Obviously people just don't know how to use Mail.app. It works perfectly for me. Not one single bug. I'm an advanced mac user, l haven't had a crash or anything with mavericks. Maybe I'm just lucky, lol
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.
I live in the same world you do. Why does everyone criticize apple? They are a good force for the works, and everyone's after them. Anyone notice this? All the ads of other tech companies are against apple! You try making an OS and tell me if something doesn't break.
post #10 of 37

I don't know whether the complaint about 10.9.2 are real or not, but there's enough of them that I'm not taking any chances.   I'm not loading that update.  I'll wait for 10.9.3.

 

Luckily, I don't use Mail - I still use Outlook, but since Mavericks there are some problems there as well.

post #11 of 37

I really haven't had any issues with 10.9. The first posters sounds like they have something wrong with the install. I would try reinstalling. I run many Macs with 10.9 and all of them have been flawless. Now if your issue was a widespread issue I'd think differently. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.

People are Kool-Aid drinkers if they like Mavericks and/or have not had issues with Mail? 1hmm.gif The issue people are having with Mail seem to be with connecting to Gmail over IMAP. If this is the issue some are having there are plenty of workarounds that the user can setup once and then forget about it.

Note that people not having the issues mentioned in this thread means they believe that Mavericks and Mac OS X don't have bugs, or that Apple can do no wrong. The fact that they are commenting on a thread about a point update should be enough evidence they are too high on the Kool-Aid to not think Apple has bugs to correct.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

People are Kool-Aid drinkers if they like Mavericks and/or have not had issues with Mail? 1hmm.gif The issue people are having with Mail seem to be with connecting to Gmail over IMAP. If this is the issue some are having there are plenty of workarounds that the user can setup once and then forget about it.

Note that people not having the issues mentioned in this thread means they believe that Mavericks and Mac OS X don't have bugs, or that Apple can do no wrong. The fact that they are commenting on a thread about a point update should be enough evidence they are too high on the Kool-Aid to not think Apple has bugs to correct.
I know apple has bugs to correct, I don't go call out all their flaws though.
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones

The Kool-Aid drinkers claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates. They must live in a fantasy world.

 

So perhaps those of us who like Mavericks simply don't use gmail. I don't, and have been running 10.9 since DP2 and haven't had a single issue I would identify with the upgrade. This was a refreshing point-zero beta compared to the previous two major releases. 10.8 was a disaster rife with frequent kernel panics. I believe I've had only one with 10.9.

 

I'm sure the gmail bugs annoy the heck out of anyone who relies on "please spam me and comb my emails for targeted advertising" free email services like gmail, but don't say those of us who prefer to keep our email out of the hands of Google are drinking Kool-Aid because we're not subject to the one major issue that made it into the 10.9 GM.

 

(sorry, edited to properly attribute the original message)

post #15 of 37
I've had a very slow finder since going to mavericks. When in Logic or any other app, clicking 'save as' brings up the dialogue box and you get the spinning wheel while it tries to figure out what's in that folder or directory. Same when using finder. That's with an SSD, so it's not the HDD, I've seen others with the same bug in 10.9. Roll on 10.10...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNosey View Post

Obviously people just don't know how to use Mail.app. It works perfectly for me. Not one single bug. I'm an advanced mac user, l haven't had a crash or anything with mavericks. Maybe I'm just lucky, lol

So you either don't use Gmail or don't use mail groups. Both are broken.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

I've had a very slow finder since going to mavericks. When in Logic or any other app, clicking 'save as' brings up the dialogue box and you get the spinning wheel while it tries to figure out what's in that folder or directory. Same when using finder. That's with an SSD, so it's not the HDD, I've seen others with the same bug in 10.9. Roll on 10.10...

I got the impossibly slow Finder window within apps issue during all the Betas (which I even mentioned on this site last year) but that went away for me when the official version launched. I still don't know why Apple can't do Finder as smoothly as the clunky Windows Explorer. As best as I can figure they seem to want to load all the metadata and large file images before showing you anything.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 37
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I still don't know why Apple can't do Finder as smoothly as the clunky Windows Explorer.

 

Rather, what did they change between 10.8 and 10.9, why did they change it, and why can’t they fix it?

 

Something tells me it has something to do with AppNap and hard drives spinning down far too often.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post
 

"please spam me and comb my emails for targeted advertising" free email services like gmail

Hey, is Yahoo Mail like that?

 

OS X's Mail app plays nicely with Yahoo Mail's IMAP servers; I never use webmail for Yahoo Mail or any other e-mail service.

 

I haven't actively used my Gmail account for years, although I occasionally empty the trash, junk mail, etc.

post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Rather, what did they change between 10.8 and 10.9, why did they change it, and why can’t they fix it?

Something tells me it has something to do with AppNap and hard drives spinning down far too often.

I haven't used a spinning drive in my Mac since this song was popular.


(Clearly I'm exaggerating but I couldn't think of something that fit that's about 6 years old)

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I haven't used a spinning drive in my Mac since this song was popular.


(Clearly I'm exaggerating but I couldn't think of something that fit that's about 6 years old)

So you chose a song that's 30 years old instead? Now THAT brings back back some memories I can tell ya, since that summer I got my first Mac and I was Partying like it was 1999! 1smoking.gif
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #22 of 37
You have issues, Mavericks doesn't. Sure there are flaws in Mavericks but taken as a whole it is the best OS update Apple has ever kicked out. It has closed more bugs and tied up more loose ends than it created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Mavericks is a god-awful OS.  It's like Apple learned nothing from the previous releases.  They broke more things than they introduced.  Total garbage.
The facts indicate the opposite, they actually fixed more things than they broke. By a long shot this is the best Mac OS update released so far, this based on running the platform since 2008.
Quote:

I just had the magic file-delete bug.  I was transferring a file from one machine to another, stopped it on the one, and ALL of the user settings on the target Mac got deleted.  
Sounds like you knew the bug existed before you even created the problem, so who is really to blame here.
Quote:

I've been using Macs since OS9.  Mavericks sucks.

Total BS; Mavericks is possibly the smoothest running OS out there right now. This includes considerable experience with Windows and Linux. If you want trouble free Mavericks is the best option to date.
Edited by wizard69 - 3/7/14 at 4:51am
post #23 of 37
For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. If you have one mail account and no folders or rules maybe you%u2019re fine. But support for Gmail and Exchange and more complex scenario's is awful. The list of issues is endless:

- Rules are not triggered or trigger on the wrong mail
- Scripts executed by Mail rules are executed on other messages than the mail triggering the rule
- Mails with attachments get stuck in the outbox when using Exchange accounts
- Smart mailboxes don%u2019t work correctly
- Search is completely broken leaving out search results
- Mails (gmail and Exchange) you flag as read or move around on iOS are still in the inbox in Mavericks
- etc
post #24 of 37
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. 

 

Other than it being perfectly usable and always having had been.

 
But support for Gmail

 

Yes, Gmail. Not anything else. Google refuses to follow the standard, and Apple has stopped caring. Whine to Google about their broken implementation of IMAP.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
For me, Mavericks is quite on par with the other MacOSX releases, except for Mail. It%u2019s completely unusable. 

Other than it being perfectly usable and always having had been.
Quote:
But support for Gmail

Yes, Gmail. Not anything else. Google refuses to follow the standard, and Apple has stopped caring. Whine to Google about their broken implementation of IMAP.

They just don't get tech. At all. One freaking stupid implementation after the other.

Google. Where stupidness reigns... in abundance.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


No it doesn't, you have a problem there. I'd try reinstalling the combo update if I were you.

This laptop came with a brand new install of Mavericks and it has done this since day one. My partner's iMac at work also does this. I Googled it and it seems that it is a common issue. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492400

post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.

Again, all I can say is Mail is fine for me. Then I am using iCloud and Me not third party mail severs so I can't speak to those situations.
Edited by digitalclips - 3/7/14 at 7:10am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

This laptop came with a brand new install of Mavericksand it has done this since day one. My partner's iMac at work also does this. I Googled itand it seems that it is a common issue. 
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5492400

For heaven's sake beware of assuming if your issue is on that blog it is genuine. That blog is full of self-fulfilling tails and even tales of woe that feed upon themselves in paranoid frenzies. Like any google search, if you search for problems you find them ... and lots of people with the same one, it proves nothing. True there are some smart folks there but by enlarge not so much. Also don't assume anyone from Apple is contradicting total rubbish posted there, they don't. I wish they did.

I can assure you your problem is not normal. Here is what I'd do,

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue is still there. Then I'd run Disk Warrior and check the disk's catalog is not damaged (If you don't have DW it is well worth owning for the future). If it is damaged follow the instructions to replace it, you can also repair privileges in DW or later in Disk Utils from the Recovery partition. Then do the usual ZAP PRAM and permissions if not done under DW. Finally reinstall from the Combo Update. If the problem persists even after this and in Safe Boot you should definitely take the Mac to Apple, I assume it is still under Warranty or Apple care.

Good luck.
Edited by digitalclips - 3/7/14 at 7:47am
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They just don't get tech. At all. One freaking stupid implementation after the other.

Google. Where stupidness reigns... in abundance.

Not to mention abandoning projects on a whim. I gave up supporting all their various in web utilities for web masters as I spent more time having to remove them for clients then trying to explain why than I care to think about ... Totally untrustworthy.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The people claiming Mavericks is great when the article acknowledged that Mail is still broken after three updates must live in a fantasy world.

Or use iCloud, which uses IMAP correctly, unlike gmail, which doesn't.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #31 of 37
Two areas I have problems are Preview and iTunes Match.

In Preview, I find that I have to minimize a file before I can view it; I'm pretty sure it's related to Spaces.

With iTunes Match, I find that Plays are sometimes reset and that Watched and Unwatched tags don't always go through.

On the other hand, I find that iCloud is the strongest it has ever been; indeed, it's more reliable on my Mac than my iDevices.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Or use iCloud, which uses IMAP correctly, unlike gmail, which doesn't.

Isn't it amazing how so many people don't understand that 'Mail' is an application and the 'mail system' they use is up to them, be it iCloud or Google etc. The name 'Mail' may not be such a good idea I am starting to think. As it is Google f^^*ks up and they moan 'Mail' is broken!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They just don't get tech. At all. One freaking stupid implementation after the other.

Google. Where stupidness reigns... in abundance.

Not to mention abandoning projects on a whim. I gave up supporting all their various in web utilities for web masters as I spent more time having to remove them for clients then trying to explain why than I care to think about ... Totally untrustworthy.

That could work as a tagline. Not short, but in this case people would want the full gist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Or use iCloud, which uses IMAP correctly, unlike gmail, which doesn't.

Isn't it amazing how so many people don't understand that 'Mail' is an application and the 'mail system' they use is up to them, be it iCloud or Google etc. The name 'Mail' may not be such a good idea I am starting to think. As it is Google f^^*ks up and they moan 'Mail' is broken!

Though in the defence of those users, I think they are less stupid than Google is.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 

Hey, is Yahoo Mail like that?

 

OS X's Mail app plays nicely with Yahoo Mail's IMAP servers; I never use webmail for Yahoo Mail or any other e-mail service.

 

I haven't actively used my Gmail account for years, although I occasionally empty the trash, junk mail, etc.

 

I have no real evidence that any of them do this, but I can't fathom why companies like Google would offer free email accounts if not to monetize them somehow. I haven't read through their terms-of-service since I my two primary personal email accounts are through services I pay for, but I suspect they capture some information and use it to their advantage. I have friends who refuse to use Facebook due to privacy concerns yet use gmail. Really?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Boot into Safe Mode and see if the issue is still there. Then I'd run Disk Warrior and check the disk's catalog is not damaged (If you don't have DW it is well worth owning for the future). If it is damaged follow the instructions to replace it, you can also repair privileges in DW or later in Disk Utils from the Recovery partition. Then do the usual ZAP PRAM and permissions if not done under DW. Finally reinstall from the Combo Update. If the problem persists even after this and in Safe Boot you should definitely take the Mac to Apple, I assume it is still under Warranty or Apple care.

Good luck.

 

Just out of curiosity, how do you compare Disk Warrior's repair tools to those in TechTool Pro? I keep hearing how great DW is, but it costs about the same as TechTool and seems to do (a lot) less. I don't mind spending the money if DW is a much better tool for disk repair though, since that seems to be my biggest issue.

post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I have no real evidence that any of them do this, but I can't fathom why companies like Google would offer free email accounts if not to monetize them somehow. I haven't read through their terms-of-service since I my two primary personal email accounts are through services I pay for, but I suspect they capture some information and use it to their advantage. I have friends who refuse to use Facebook due to privacy concerns yet use gmail. Really?


Just out of curiosity, how do you compare Disk Warrior's repair tools to those in TechTool Pro? I keep hearing how great DW is, but it costs about the same as TechTool and seems to do (a lot) less. I don't mind spending the money if DW is a much better tool for disk repair though, since that seems to be my biggest issue.

I have both and they are different in their approach and uses. I have used Disk Warrior since its inception and it has been invaluable. Nothing else comes close to it for fixing damaged disk directories and it is blindingly fast and safe. DW isn't trying to do much, just do what it does flawlessly. I have fixed so many Mac users' unsolvable problems in two minutes with it I have lost count. I like to mount the subject Mac with Terminal Mode and run DW on my MBP or nMP over Firewire or Thunderbolt.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have both and they are different in their approach and uses. I have used Disk Warrior since its inception and it has been invaluable. Nothing else comes close to it for fixing damaged disk directories and it is blindingly fast and safe. DW isn't trying to do much, just do what it does flawlessly. I have fixed so many Mac users' unsolvable problems in two minutes with it I have lost count. I like to mount the subject Mac with Terminal Mode and run DW on my MBP or nMP over Firewire or Thunderbolt.

Another vote for DiskWarrior. When I had OS 9, I once got the dreaded question mark at startup, meaning the Volume couldn't be found. I ran DiskWarrior, which repaired the directories and fixed it within a few minutes.

I now use TechTool Pro. It's more of a jack of all trades, but as digitalclips said, DiskWarrior is more focused, but does its job outstandingly well.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #37 of 37
living in pakistan got the late 2013 rmbp 15 low end and as it came the sleep wake failure crash and those random restarts started to happen , gave it to the apple guys here and got it claimed for warranty for a new motherboard, got the new motherboard and having 10.9.2 os x still having the same problem of sleep/wake and restart while left on sleep for long !!! hope 10.9.3 fixes it ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple issues first OS X 10.9.3 beta, asks developers to focus on graphics and audio