or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement - Page 2

post #41 of 62
Less likely to REPORT broken phones. That phrasing is key.

Until we stop shaming phone-breakers, these incidents will continue to go unreported.
post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Less likely to REPORT broken phones. That phrasing is key.

Until we stop shaming phone-breakers, these incidents will continue to go unreported.

The reports would go way up if they added 'Angry Girlfriend/Wife' to the causes list. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


Please demonstrate how to bypass Activation Lock.

 

 

I  don't think it's appropriate here on AI.

Just type "bypass Activation Lock" in your browser search box and you'll see many "how to".

post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post


I  don't think it's appropriate here on AI.
Just type "bypass Activation Lock" in your browser search box and you'll see many "how to".

I can't find a single method that actually bypasses the Activation Lock on iPhone 5S.
post #45 of 62

The device cannot be powered back on without your passlock. If you took the time to learn how to enable restrictions (particularly the one that restricts the part about not being able to disable find my iphone) your thief would not have been able to disable it!

post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

The device cannot be powered back on without your passlock. If you took the time to learn how to enable restrictions (particularly the one that restricts the part about not being able to disable find my iphone) your thief would not have been able to disable it!

So how do you enter your passlock if the device doesn't power on?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #47 of 62

I assume he means it can't be unlocked without a passcode, even after a restart, power cycle or attempted wipe (which needs your iCloud account if Activation Lock is on) or anything else similar.

 

Maybe the thief never did get access to the iPhone.  Maybe it was locked forever after, and the thief had nothing but a chunk of glass and aluminium for the efforts.

 

Doesn't help the victim of theft, they're still an iPhone down.  iPhones are still getting stolen.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #48 of 62

Yes, they are down an iPhone. Hence, there is an insurance plan possibly, through your service provider. But unless you do not elect that option, then there isn't much you can do if you haven't taken all the proper procedures to track your phone.

Hint: There are apps that take a picture each time there is a failed attempt to unlock the phone, and it emails and uploads the photo to your iCloud account.

post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post
 

The device cannot be powered back on without your passlock. If you took the time to learn how to enable restrictions (particularly the one that restricts the part about not being able to disable find my iphone) your thief would not have been able to disable it!

 

I assume this was directed at me...

 

I guess I'm missing your point.  I just tried turning off Find My iPhone on the new phone which was restored from a backup of the first (so same "restrictions").  It required the passcode to unlock and asked for my iCloud password to disable Find My iPhone.

 

I know you suggested that I take the time to learn, but perhaps you could save me that time by educating what additional "restrictions" are needed??

 

I'm assuming that we or the cell company disabled Find My iPhone because the timing was about the same as far as I can tell.

post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post
 

Hint: There are apps that take a picture each time there is a failed attempt to unlock the phone, and it emails and uploads the photo to your iCloud account.

 

There are?  How can that possibly work without a jailbreak?

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #51 of 62

Take a look on the web. Read some articles.

I would suggest you restrict your email settings as well.

post #52 of 62

Can't find anything that doesn't require jailbreaking, as expected.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #53 of 62

Try Private Photo Vault.

Big Brother.

Hidden.

post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post

Try Private Photo Vault.
Big Brother.
Hidden.

Which of those take a photo every time there is a failed unlocking of the device, not the 3rd-party app that also has an PIN pad.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #55 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzilla View Post
 

Try Private Photo Vault.

Big Brother.

Hidden.

No, none of these do what you claim.  They offer app level security, but nothing on the lock screen.  

 

It is impossible for an app to take control of the lock screen and trigger actions on a failed unlock attempt on an iOS device that hasn't been jailbroken.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #56 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

No, none of these do what you claim.  They offer app level security, but nothing on the lock screen.  

It is impossibl
e for an app to take control of the lock screen and trigger actions on a failed unlock attempt on an iOS device that hasn't been jailbroken.

But that's not a bad reason for me to consider jailbreaking my phone again. My only reservation is trusting a developer that isn't Apple to not be recording my access. That said, even if I did trust a 3rd-party developer I doubt that any have access to TouchID, which is how I unlock my phone so it's a moot point but I'm still going to send on this message anyway because I have already typed it out.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/8/14 at 6:40am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #57 of 62
A failure with TouchID is probably still exposed to a developer of jail brake apps without giving them any access to the fingerprint or hash.

I don't disagree, this would be great functionality to have, and increases the value of jail breaking.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #58 of 62

I just realized while unlocking our old ATT iPhones that Find My iPhone needs to be disabled to restore from backup and the email that I received from Apple regarding FMiP being disable probably applied to the new phone, not the stolen phone.

 

I guess I can have some piece of mind 8-)

post #59 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Both Google's Android and Microsoft's Windows Phone lack any mechanism for similarly blocking reactivation of a stolen device by thieves

Erm, it is possible to remotely lock Windows Phones

post #60 of 62

 iPhone users are 11% less likely to request repairs. That suggests that, despite a delicate appearance, iPhones either are less prone to damage or their users take better care of them (or a mix of both)

 

I've seen a few people with iPhone's with broken screens. I wonder whether the you should consider the fact that some people cant be bothered to fix a broken screen and just make do. 

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Reply
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Reply
post #61 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

 iPhone users are 11% less likely to request repairs. That suggests that, despite a delicate appearance, iPhones either are less prone to damage or their users take better care of them (or a mix of both)

I've seen a few people with iPhone's with broken screens. I wonder whether the you should consider the fact that some people cant be bothered to fix a broken screen and just make do. 

The statement is about the frequency of requesting repairs so those with broken devices shouldn't be considered. This goes for devices from all vendors. Anecdotally, I've seen a lot more busted Android-based (and Windows) devices that customers seem to be perfectly fine using with a poor experience. It's almost like Stockholm syndrome. The only time I really ever hear about people using a defective Apple device on internet forums and I usually say have Apple take a look at it.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #62 of 62

Ironically before I had my Galaxy S2 and my current phone, Galaxy S3, I had an iPhone 1 followed by an iPhone 3Gs. My two Android phones have not broken down, had any parts replaced or have any damage on them of any kind. Where as my iPhone 1 needed a repair to the power button and my 3GS developed a screen fault and ended up being replaced entirely when the fix attempt in store made it worse.

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Reply
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhones much more likely to be stolen, less likely to be broken or need replacement