or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ

Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ

post #1 of 20
A short video clip posted to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's official YouTube page on Thursday shows the leader meeting with Apple CEO Tim Cook at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

Netanyahu
Apple CEO Tim Cook (left) greets Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at Apple's Cupertino headquarters.
Source: The Prime Minister of Israel via YouTube

As seen in the embedded video below, apparently taken by a member of Netanyahu's delegation, Cook greeted the Israeli PM at Apple HQ's Executive Briefing Center, where the two had a meeting over lunch.

While a list of those in attendance has not been released, Apple SVP of Legal and Government Affairs Bruce Sewell can be seen sitting next to Cook at the large conference table.

The details of the discussion are unknown, though Cook can be heard mentioning "R&D skill" near the end of the video, suggesting the talks at least touched upon Apple's various operations in Israel.

Currently, the company has three R&D sites in the region, including facilities in Ra'anana, Hafia and Herzliya, the latter being acquired after the purchase of flash memory firm Anobit. In addition, Apple extended its footprint in Israel with the purchase of PrimeSense, a company that creates sensors, hardware and middle-ware for motion sensing and 3D scanning applications.

While not of the greatest import, there was some light-hearted banter between Cook and the prime minister when they first walked into the reception area. The two stood for a photos in front of a large poster bearing a quote from late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs:

If you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what's next.

After a quick read, Netanyahu asked wryly, "You can't ask that of government," to which Cook said, laughing, "No, I wish we could."
post #2 of 20

And instead of letting the hideous political argument sink to the bottom of the page they bring it up again. Thank you AI...........

post #3 of 20
I'm glad Tim Cook and Apple have the good sense to not let politics get in the way of good business.
post #4 of 20
That boardroom looks so sterile dull and very very corporate. Each person having exactly 2 lettuce leaves etc. I would have to kill myself if I had to shuffle my arse to those stiff and ultimately pointless dreary meetings. I detest the business end if business. Stick me in a room with the creatives.
post #5 of 20

My family lived in Jaffa  for centuries and lived happily among Arabs and Jews, they respected each other and were kind to each other. I despise Israel's continuous discriminatory acts and vilification of the Palestinian peopleand neighboring countries.

Netanyahu carries the same old and outdated "hate your neighbor" mindset that never worked. Israel needs a young peace-making leader, one with a plan to make amends. The Middle-East if full of smart people, it could become a beacon of peace and prosperity.

bb
bb
post #6 of 20

I think on AI, we should leave politics out of it.  Hardly anyone is ever going to change their position, so it's nothing more than verbal masturbation to comment on either the Israeli or Palestinian governments.

If Apple decided not to do business in any country where the Government has been accused of doing something terrible, they wouldn't be able to do business anywhere (including the United States).

The fact is that the more non-Israeli companies that do business in Israel, the more influence they will have on the Government, just as the pulling of investments such a pension funds out of South Africa is what killed apartheid.

While I personally feel that Apple's investments in Israel is fine, I would also be happy to see them build a facility in the occupied territories and put more Palestinians to work.   What's going to cause peace (if there can ever be a peace) is not the negotiating table or who occupies the Government - it's when all people in the region can see a future. 

post #7 of 20
Regardless of like or dislike, Apple does business in Israel. Tim Cook should meet with any head of state of any country Apple wants to do business in if there is potential for mutual benefit. End of story really.
post #8 of 20

Why is this news AGAIN? The guy is a racist war criminal and no one should care about who he visits - just delete this thread and be done with it.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #9 of 20
zoetmb:
> The fact is that the more non-Israeli companies that do business in Israel, the more
> influence they will have on the Government, just as the pulling of investments such
> a pension funds out of South Africa is what killed apartheid.

This is precisely an argument for Apple to *boycott* Israel. South Africa was a case of corporations publicly shaming and punishing the government for apartheid, not (literally) embracing it.

Such a public embracement of a modern apartheid government is absolutely shameful.
post #10 of 20
In Israel, 1.5 million Arabs are full Israeli citizens with representation in the Knesset, equal access to secondary and higher educations, well paid jobs, same transportation, same restaurants, same hotels, same hospitals, same level of medical care, same national healthcare plans, same entertainment venues, same parks, same political rights, equal pay for equal work, freedom of religion, etc. Besides enjoying equal rights with Jews, Israeli Arabs don't have to do the mandatory military and/or civil service like Jews and other non-Arabic Israeli citizens do. However, if Arabs do want to serve in the IDF or do civil service, they are welcome. So, how is this apartheid again?

People who compare Israel to South Africa have never been to Israel. If you went, you would see how Arabs live in Israel. I will not ever be able to afford a house like the mansions that some Israeli Arabs live in. Not just mansions, but mansions made of stone - castles. Go and check them out for yourself. I've driven through Israeli Druze towns in the North of Israel - you would never believe that people can have such houses. And those are not the Jews.

Find me one Arab country where Arab citizens have a better way than they do in Israel. How dare people call this apartheid? You know where apartheid was very popular? The US was no better than South Africa until just a few decades ago. The place where Tim Cook went to school - that's where the racism flourished - UCLA - Upper Corner Lower Alabama.

And how dare you call Bibi a racist! He is a lot of things, but he is not a racist or a war criminal.
Edited by sirozha - 3/7/14 at 12:50pm
post #11 of 20

Not sure why my post was removed, as there was nothing wrong with it, IMO.  I'll try again.

One can dislike the PM's policies and his government and think him a very flawed person without being an anti-Semite.  One doesn't follow from the other.

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Not sure why my post was removed, as there was nothing wrong with it, IMO.  I'll try again.

One can dislike the PM's policies and his government and think him a very flawed person without being an anti-Semite.  One doesn't follow from the other.

Who besides you used the word anti-Semite?
post #13 of 20

I thought Apple has moral standards.

What's next? Meeting Putin who has just occupied Crimea (though the fanatics in Kiev have really made it easy for him by passing laws that outlaw the native tongue of the people living there) and who has been endorsed by Assad on that move?

Israel's occupation and settlement policies are illegal and ugly. Cook should not dignify people like Netanyahu who support and execute those policies by meeting him. Wasn't it Cook who recently stated that there is more than just shareholder value?

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Who besides you used the word anti-Semite?

The post to which I originally responded was removed, along with my response.  

post #15 of 20

If you don't like it then sell your Apple shares and quit using their computers. Make a stand, be a man.

As for me, I like Apple even more now! :lol:

post #16 of 20
Apple will find out soon enough why they should have chosen another location for their R & D facilities.
post #17 of 20

Put your comments in the political section. Not here!

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Put your comments in the political section. Not here!

"This isn't.......⁉️"
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by watz nex app L View Post

Apple will find out soon enough why they should have chosen another location for their R & D facilities.

Can you elaborate? The Anobit acquisition was 2011 and nothing seems to have happened in the 2'ish years. Any predictions?
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Regardless of like or dislike, Apple does business in Israel. Tim Cook should meet with any head of state of any country Apple wants to do business in if there is potential for mutual benefit. End of story really.

There is a huge market for electronics from middle class families in Iran. Would you approve of Cook meeting the Iranian president?

Now...

How many people has the Iranian government killed in the last ten years? How about Israel?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ