or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Android "RAT" infects Google Play apps, turning phones into spyware zombies

New Android "RAT" infects Google Play apps, turning phones into spyware zombies - Page 4

post #121 of 171
You wouldn't have that problem with a iPhone ;D
post #122 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You missed out a full stop at the end of the sentence. There should be a semi-colon after 'incorrect' instead of a comma.

Its a pleasure

Thanks. I learn something new everyday, and this is why I enjoy this forum.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #123 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The only acceptable response is for you to close your account and never visit these threads again.

pedromartins can't seem to make up his mind. In one post he's extolling the virtues of the iPhone, and how it beats all other phones in every metric, and now he's defending Android's security. That boy is more confused than a baby in a topless bar.
post #124 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

DroidFTW and Gatorguy.

I know neither of you are developers, but do you have any acquaintances that are?

I've never made any apps for Android?  Good to know.  Thanks for letting me how knowledgable you are by telling me what you "know."

What's even stranger is how it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  Zero.  None.  Nada.

Edited by DroidFTW - 3/8/14 at 3:21pm
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #125 of 171
EDIT
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/8/14 at 3:27pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #126 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Shall I go back over your history and give you a list of all the topics/questions you skirt around or avoid? It's your MO, and everyone here knows it.

You are a liar if you claim you don't avoid questions. Outright, plain and simple liar.

My MO? Then I think that's exactly what you should do. Find those direct and honest questions you asked me that I've refused to answer. I'll guarantee you an answer now if you can find one I previously missed which I don't believe you can. We had another conversation a few months back where you resorted to similar personal accusations that had nothing to do with the discussion, seemingly to avoid an inconvenient answer then too. I can't recall ever resorting to the same tactics, nor can I imagine why I would need to.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/8/14 at 4:00pm
post #127 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

It's insanely easy to avoid malware in Android. Don't use 3rd party app stores.

Solid Fandroid logic:
1. Apple's walled garden is evil
2. Don't buy from outside Google's walled garden

1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #128 of 171
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Thanks for the awesome gif, but that doesnt make up for the fact of how fantastic and secure Android is

You owe me a new 8 key. There’s juice under it now.

…even in the US most people specifically chose Android…

Then how does Apple have higher sales?

Again, this thread is pointless

Except to highlight Android malware. Which exists. 

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Marvin already let us in on what you're up to. Carry on sir. The regulars aren't fooled.

Missed that memo.

post #129 of 171

If someone would just release an app that bricks all the Android phones instead of spying or stealing a little money, it truly could be a "nuclear option".

post #130 of 171

Android…our garden walls are wide open…come on in!

post #131 of 171

Android gets malware. What else is new?

post #132 of 171

Well, you choose Android, now deal with the pain...to each his own.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #133 of 171
The difference between android and apple in app stores is android allows you to purchase apps from differing app stores be it google, amazon, samsung et al all are relatively trustworthy stores to buy from. Apple only allow you to buy from them. The user decides which to go to. Each has its benefits and each has its drawbacks.
post #134 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Those that don't have Google Services certainly don't reap the benefits of those updates.  That may also explain why most Android malware targets users in eastern Asian countries like China and Russia as opposed to US Android users.

Then those phones aren't really "Android " are they? They are Androidish but aren't part of the platform when the fandroids talk about their 80% market share.
post #135 of 171

I can explain the problem plain and simple. Android sucks. Its a mess and always will be. Soon it will be an orphan (and as if it ever really did) it won't know who its daddy is. Android is just some bug eating son of a google whore-  head crawling with lice-  that was put into the wild to do a job for a nickel, that any one else should and would get a quarter for.

Perfect for those who use it.

Class dismissed...

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #136 of 171

Android like Windows is surely open, but just like Windows its open for malware,spyware, viruses, trojans, and denial of service attacks and it goes on and on. Open is good to a point. But no security, then it's a real joke. And with so many variants of Android OS and modified android from carriers it makes it even worse. Most of these phones will never see updates because the carriers are to lazy and don't want to create the patches and also want you to buy the next new phone they have waiting in the pipeline. 

This is what separates Apple from Android. Apple wants you to enjoy your phone and apps and also be safe doing so. That goes for your iPad and iPod touch as well. Everyone complains about the App store approval of developed apps and such. Well without it the same thing would be going on with IOS. But thankfully it's not. Sure Apple misses things but is always good at making those things right and pretty quickly. The media likes to dramatize when IOS has a security flaw 200% but never does so with Android which I find very annoying. Especially since Android is running at about 80% unpatched with malware and such going on all the time. Not to mention those carrier phones that will never see a security patch or OS update ever!

Open is good, NOT!!!!!!

post #137 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Get ready for some Android Apologist knee-jerk reactions:

1. But most Android users don't even know about Google Play, so they're safe.  Oh wait...

2. But it only affects the latest 4.4 KitKat release, and almost nobody has that yet.  Oh wait...

3. So yeah, the RAT affects other releases.  It proves that fragmentation isn't really all *that* bad. Oh wait...

4. But most Android devices are Chinese no-name knockoffs that don't connect to Google Play anyway.  Oh wait...

5. But lots of Android devices are Kindle Fires, which are running a non-Google Play fork of Android.  Oh wait...

6. But 99% of all mobile malware is on Android already, so what's one more little bad app?  Oh wait...

7. etc.

Sorry, I am not going to apologise for this. Android, like Windows, is an open platform and very popular around the world. If you are going to make malware or a virus, you might as well do it on a platform which will have the biggest impact. 

Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #138 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

RAT has got to be the best acronym for malware.
Sure, they have gotten some security updates with the lateral move Google implemented, which is good, but does that mean that all the holes that are in version 2.3 are now closed as if they were running 4.4? And why have the different versions if the actual OS version doesn't mean anything? And what about the different API versions? 2.3 "Gingerbread is API Level 10 while 4.4 "Kit Kat" is API Level 19. Those have to mean something otherwise why have them at all?
yes these do mean something you know windows 7 vs windows 8 (I know you do (8sucked)) that's same as G.B. 2.4.x vs. Ics 4.0.x vs Kitkat 4.4.x there updates, features added, ui improvement... they take that data eveyone has been giving google for the last 10yrs and using it to target market phones the api levels are strictly for developers its a easy way to catalog the different codes n presets for each version think win xp it can not run software made for win8 unless certain commands or scripting functions are used same with android. I could confuse more by adding there's different software levels like the kernel which is based heavily on the current Linux kernel this is a amazing feature that allows easy cross platform coding the end user can still enjoy the experience with being 100% ignorant to all these versions and APIs
post #139 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

RAT has got to be the best acronym for malware.
Sure, they have gotten some security updates with the lateral move Google implemented, which is good, but does that mean that all the holes that are in version 2.3 are now closed as if they were running 4.4? And why have the different versions if the actual OS version doesn't mean anything? And what about the different API versions? 2.3 "Gingerbread is API Level 10 while 4.4 "Kit Kat" is API Level 19. Those have to mean something otherwise why have them at all?

I agree with DED and your point in this post- if you buy an old inexpensive Android device, you are prone to the 97% of malware that does not apply if you buy one of the newer phones.  I do take it with some humor as to whether DED thinks those phones should, or should not, be included in the 'smartphone' discussion.  The prevailing rule of thumb for DED seems to be 'include or do not include them based on what makes a better argument for Apple.'   To be fair, that is in fact his job, but it is a little humorous how many people just willfully go along with whichever pro-Apple method he chooses on any given day.

2.3 does have many vulnerabilities and Google is never going to fix them.  The iPhone 3gs has many vulnerabilities, and Apple is never going to fix those.  I'm good with both of those, except for one thing.  Google continues to sell devices running 2.3 in large numbers.  So why is that?   The answer is pretty simple, and it is why Apple really *can't* enter the booming low end device market even if they wanted to.  iOS 7 and updated Android versions like Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly bean are so feature laden, that they force higher specs be built into a device.  That's obviously not a problem for the iPhone, Ones, and Galaxies out there, but is a very real problem for the countries where people can't afford them.

So that is why Gingerbread continues to be a success and sell in large numbers.  It is vulnerable as hell.  My advice is obviously don't buy a Gingerbread phone.  Unfortunately to those that can't afford a Galaxy or iPhone caliber device that translates into 'don't buy a smartphone.'  It is obviously a problem Google needs to address.  Fortunately, Google *is* addressing the issue and in a way that is far better than trying to set up a 'legacy' team to improve Gingerbread.  In Kit Kat they are dramatically lowering the device requirements to run it and instead delivering more akin to a kernel, where phones will get certain functionality only if they are capable of them.  With that strategy low end devices can start to be built and shipped with Kit Kat instead of Gingerbread and everyone moving forward will be able to get the respective updates to whatever bits apply to their particular device.

I think its a win/win solution if the specs of the devices can be brought down to Gingerbread levels.  If it can't, I say keep selling Gingerbread and let users know it is vulnerable.  It is still a better solution than offering nothing, because users can then make up their own minds.  DED still wins because he can continue to write articles comparing Apple favorably to four year old Android versions for quite a few years to come.

post #140 of 171
Guess this is what Eric meant by "pretty sure"

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #141 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post

wow internet police someone stone this guy before I vomit geez I wasn't gonna dirt slang but your demeanor has change mine .2nd the person that said windows is a open platform almost stroked me out nothing about windows Apple or any software devices etc are open none Linux and google android are open lol Windows is almost as priotory as your apples not quite but might as well be I can't stand using windows n ever time iOS user try to act like they know computers I want to cry use a Linux box for 3months. If you can figure it out it will open your eyes to what is possible n you'll notice its anything you can think of nobillion $ corp. Forcing its point of view on you.

hey!! lets require all peeps in the world to take classes to learn how to use a system such as linux. That would be awesome!! Forget just picking up a device and easily putting it to use. It should be a struggle, with the outcome only realized after many semesters technical classes and lots of sweat. That would definitely make the world a better place. Besides, so many of us have nothing better to do but sit in our parents basement and learn how to make a complex system do the most mundane processes... please jerk me off in another direction.

I figured out a long time ago that I will never need to **** around with linux to be the most productive person I can be. Just give me an iDevice and the world is mine. And my  world pwns linux and android world.        pwned , no doubt about it 

You are so full of infinite wisdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondm16 View Post

Sorry, I am not going to apologise for this. Android, like Windows, is an open platform and very popular around the world. If you are going to make malware or a virus, you might as well do it on a platform which will have the biggest impact. 

Windows is open huh??? wow

it may have an impact, but it would impact the low life, no money scum dogs of the world. Who cares if the droid dorks lose everything to a virus. Whats a couple dollars to anyone?? No droid dork has money, so nothing to lose for the losers. Besides that, their only $ card they use on their devices would be the state issued welfare debit card they use...

So the biggest impact may be in users infected, but the financial impact would comparable to stealing gum from the corner sundry.

So no, you don't have to apologize for that at all

post #142 of 171

A malware program that spies and records? What's new about that?

FaceBook...

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
post #143 of 171
"it looks as if Dendroid was designed with evading Play Store security in mind." 'looks as if...'
"2014 anti-emulation detection code that helps it evade detection by Bouncer" 'that helps it evade...'
Notice the wording in these two quotes. They are not the language of fait accompli and certainty.
"includes not installing apps from untrusted sources and installing third party malware scanner tools"
As one Poster above opined: Wonder why infection rates and geography of them not in Article?
Again and again I see dire, spooky warnings of impending doom for Android users.
By following a few safe rules of practice, as referenced in the Article and quoted by me, I and myriads of others don't encounter malware in years of constant Android use in the wild where we live and work.
I keep pointing this out. And surely true to form the scaremongering Article will have the obligatory AV to promote/sell as a main feature.
post #144 of 171
Quote:

You sir are a true idiot. I happen to use a Galaxy S3 and have a pretty good paid job thank you very much. You may want to think a bit more before you spout such utter crap.  I very much doubt you were being sarcastic and if you were....it is still highly insensitive.

The irony is that I have seen him recommend that others consider buying a $50 4S...

post #145 of 171

No need to apologize.  It's not your fault.  It's Google's fault.

All Google cares about is ad revenue.  97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

Everything Google does makes perfect sense with that little fact in mind.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #146 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

No need to apologize.  It's not your fault.  It's Google's fault.
All Google cares about is ad revenue.  97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.
Everything Google does makes perfect sense with that little fact in mind.

It dropped to around 90% by the end of last year. I'd expect ads to be Google's primary revenue source for a long time to come but they're gradually creating new ones.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/9/14 at 12:23pm
post #147 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Android like Windows is surely open, but just like Windows its open for malware,spyware, viruses, trojans, and denial of service attacks and it goes on and on. Open is good to a point. But no security, then it's a real joke. And with so many variants of Android OS and modified android from carriers it makes it even worse. Most of these phones will never see updates because the carriers are to lazy and don't want to create the patches and also want you to buy the next new phone they have waiting in the pipeline. 

This is what separates Apple from Android. Apple wants you to enjoy your phone and apps and also be safe doing so. That goes for your iPad and iPod touch as well. Everyone complains about the App store approval of developed apps and such. Well without it the same thing would be going on with IOS. But thankfully it's not. Sure Apple misses things but is always good at making those things right and pretty quickly. The media likes to dramatize when IOS has a security flaw 200% but never does so with Android which I find very annoying. Especially since Android is running at about 80% unpatched with malware and such going on all the time. Not to mention those carrier phones that will never see a security patch or OS update ever!

Open is good, NOT!!!!!!

The problem with windows was not that it was "open".  Windows' problem was that prior to Vista, the OS was not designed with security in mind. Thus a large chunk of Windows malware in the old days consisted of viruses, which exploited bugs to hijack other processes. From a technical point of view, Android is at least as secure as OS X, although perhaps somewhat less so than iOS because Android provides more system-level APIs than iOS does. But just like with OS X, nothing will stop you if you choose to run a program that uploads your photos to some shady server. In some ways, Android actually does more than OS X to help the user avoid mislabeled programs (which ultimately is what most malware boil down to), since all programs are sandboxed and the user can see exactly what privileges a program has.

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 3/9/14 at 7:46pm
post #148 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

The irony is that I have seen him recommend that others consider buying a $50 4S...

if all you have is $50, then a 4S is a no brainer

post #149 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

if all you have is $50, then a 4S is a no brainer

Or why not get another phone that has better features and is actually FREE?

post #150 of 171
Or why not get another phone that has better features and is actually FREE?

No phone fits that description.

post #151 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

The malware doesn't infect Google Play apps, it infects Android apps.

Google Play apps aren't Android apps?
Quote:
Android by default has the ability to install these turned OFF.  One has to make an effort to actually get these installed.

As previously noted in this article (I forget by whom), the very common argument as to why Android is better than iOS is because you can side-load apps. I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't use the side-loading apps argument in your favour one day, and then claim this feature is turned off by default and therefore not an issue the next day when there is an article on Android malware.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/9/14 at 3:01pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #152 of 171
Originally Posted by MicroNix View Post

The malware doesn't infect Google Play apps, it infects Android apps.

*cough*

the Google Play app market, where legitimate appearing, RAT-infected apps can hide out undetected.
…Dendroid was designed with evading Play Store security
yes, it breached Google Play
RAT contains techniques to bypass detection by Bouncer, Google Play’s automated malware scanner
The specific RAT in Google Play
…the instance of Google’s official Play Store hosting malicious apps is a regular occurrence
post #153 of 171
The whole nothing is as safe as iOS is just wrong.Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it in turn they force security on you. Now Android doesn't it is wide open if you want it to happen (with in reason of course) it will allow you to do weather it, be used good or bad depends on end user. But in turn you have to seek that extra level of protection less so in 4.4.2 but anyways its left to the user to use this phone/platform how they want. We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time.....you had 1 now you have 1.25 apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the "s" wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right ? Google gives us full support of there apps/products free and integrated into android.
post #154 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

maybe not free but all these are seen as better than a 4S.

galaxy s4 &5
Htc one
sony xperia z1, z1 compact, and z2

And iphones 5 & 5s
post #155 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There might be. There's a pretty big difference between specs (RAM, storage, camera) and features (eye-tracking, waterproofing, voice commands)

post #156 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Then those phones aren't really "Android " are they? They are Androidish but aren't part of the platform when the fandroids talk about their 80% market share.

It just depends on how one wants to interpret things.  It's technically correct to say that they're Android devices if they run AOSP (Android Open Source Project), which is the stock version of the Android OS.  I don't believe that they're forks like Fire OS is (Fire OS is Kindle's Android fork).

However, you're correct that there is a significant difference between a device running only AOSP and what most people think of when Android is referenced; one of the main differentiators being the addition of Google Play Services running on top of AOSP.  Google Play Services isn't just a buzz-phrase to refer to Google's services (Maps, Drive, etc.).  It's actually a program that runs on Android devices.  It provides additonal API's for developers to utilize to better interface with Google's applications/services as well as the added security measures previously mentioned.

So should they be counted as Android devices?  Android fans tend to want to count them when it comes to sales/market share but not when it comes to security while Apple fans want to count them when it comes to security but not when it comes to sales/market share.  I believe that the majority of the world's population couldn't care less how they're counted.

post #157 of 171
Quote:

The whole nothing is as safe as iOS is just wrong.Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it in turn they force security on you. Now Android doesn't it is wide open if you want it to happen (with in reason of course) it will allow you to do weather it, be used good or bad depends on end user. But in turn you have to seek that extra level of protection less so in 4.4.2 but anyways its left to the user to use this phone/platform how they want. We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time.....you had 1 now you have 1.25 apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the "s" wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right ? Google gives us full support of there apps/products free and integrated into android.

So much wrong in this comment. Apple doesn't force anyone to buy an iPhone. I use Dropbox on my iPhone. I did not know 12 months is a "few". Meanwhile "flagshit" Androids are release every other week. I don't pay for iCloud. How do you sync Android to a PC without software ?
post #158 of 171
Apple forces you to use your device how they envisioned it no buts about it

Nope. You can use terrible browsers, mail clients, maps, etc. all you want.

in turn they force security on you.

Nope. You can be as insecure as you want.

We don't need special software to sync we have right to use google drive dropbox or any cloud service 

And you’re claiming iOS does? And you’re claiming iOS doesn’t?

…we have 30models on any giving carrier to pick from @ any time…

Ah, so you’re not only incoherent, you have NO argument whatsoever.

…you had 1…

3. Which still sell more than your 30 models.

…apple puts out a cheap model n less then a few months comes out with the “s“…

In what capacity was the iPhone 5 a cheap model, and in what capacity is a year “less than a few months”?

…wtf your bill is an extra 10$ for your cloud am I right?

Completely and utterly incorrect.

Google gives us full support of there apps/products free

Yeah, you wouldn’t happen to be the product they sell or anything.

…and integrated into android.

Know what else is integrated into Android?

Ugh, it’s too late for a pun and I’m too tired. Repeal daylight savings time.

post #159 of 171
Quote:

maybe not free but all these are seen as better than a 4S.

galaxy s4 &5
Htc one
sony xperia z1, z1 compact, and z2

And iphones 5 & 5s

the first three don't run iOS, so no - they can't even be considered. I would never recommend android, but for poor destitute people there sometimes is no choice  Some people you just can't reach. They are forever bogged down in their pitiful, worthless lives. Under or not educated, ignorant if they are educated...Android fits them perfectly. 

The last 2 aren't $50, are they?

post #160 of 171

Had a small panic attack when I saw this silly title in my feed.  Looks like a singular app made it into Google Play for a small period of time.  Just another Android FUD article on an Apple site.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • New Android "RAT" infects Google Play apps, turning phones into spyware zombies
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Android "RAT" infects Google Play apps, turning phones into spyware zombies