or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant

post #1 of 80
Thread Starter 
According to the latest statistics from analytics firm Mixpanel, Apple's iPhone 5s is about to breach the 20 percent mark in overall iPhone marketshare and will soon overtake the venerable iPhone 4S, while the counterpart 5c model languishes at about 6 percent.

Mixpanel

Source: Mixpanel


As seen above, Apple's flagship iPhone 5s accounted for 19.31 percent of all active iPhones during the week of Mar. 3, and is on an upward trend to overtake the iPhone 4S. In fact, the crossover may have already occurred as Mixpanel updates its trends page for the full week every Monday.

The most current statistics place the iPhone 5 at the top spot with users accounting for 32.65 percent of the whole, followed by the iPhone 4S, which takes up 23.94 percent. The three-year-old iPhone 4 is on the decline at 16.43 percent, while the new iPhone 5c rounds out the top five with 6.34 percent.

Unlike past product cycles, Apple did not keep the last-generation iPhone 5 as a carry-over model when it introduced the iPhone 5s and 5c in 2013. Instead, the company opted to discontinue production altogether, shoehorning in the plastic-chassis 5c. The iPhone 4S, however, remains on sale as an entry-level model and starter phone for developing markets.

Looking at the graph, it appears the iPhone 5s is exhibiting the most growth, rising an average 0.5 percent each week since Dec. 30. The cheaper iPhone 5c is tracking upwards, but at a far slower pace of .14 percent per week. Echoing the Mixpanel results, a recent poll conducted by Piper Jaffray found the iPhone 5s to be the ">smartphone of choice for consumers planning to make a buy within the next few months.

As can be expected, the usage share of older models, like the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, are all trending down at a nearly identical rate as Apple's newer handsets take over.

Mixpanel is a web and mobile analytics firm that handles 17 billion user actions per month. The above statistics were compiled from over 194.3 billion events recorded from Sep. 9, 2013 to Mar. 3, 2014.
post #2 of 80
Cue the inane 5C flop posts.
post #3 of 80
Not only do I not know anyone that has one, I have never seen anyone with one.
post #4 of 80
I've seen the 5C in public and some Olympians have them as well.
post #5 of 80
First up we are well aware that the iPhone 5c is just the regular iPhone 5 but with colors.
Ok, so you buy an iPhone 5s instead of a 5c.
Um, how is Apple losing?
They ain't!
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I've seen the 5C in public and some Olympians have them as well.
 

What's your point?

 

We have all seen the 5c in public, whether it be teenagers at the mall or Olympians.

 

Bartenders, SI swimsuit models, truck drivers and Fortune 500 CEOs carry around the 5s. 

post #7 of 80
the overall path of the 5c is upward from a quick visual glance, somewhat subtle by apple standards, but many competitors would kill for that kinda of subtle growth.
post #8 of 80

I just bought my ex a new 5c yesterday from Walmart for $29 she was using a 4 before that, I think that was a great price this is a much better phone that what she had.

post #9 of 80

Since the iPhone 5C is a rough stand-in for the iPhone 5 this year (yes it has improvements, but it's in the same slot) then separating it on the graph shows a potentially misleading picture.  The graph appears to show the 5C languishing, but if you combine it with the 5 numbers, then the combination of the two is right up at the top, and holding relatively steady at around 40%.

 

Also, without comparison to how the proportions moved in previous years, these values aren't very telling.  If the 5+5C gradient is flatter than that of the 4S at this time last year then it could be called a flop.  If it's (positive) steeper, then it's doing just fine.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #10 of 80
Iphone 5c failed. Apple is clearly doomed.
post #11 of 80
Oh poor Apple. People only want to buy ther most expensive products in huge numbers. Lol
post #12 of 80
As Crowley noted, the 5Cos hardly languishing, it is simply having a hard time gaining % marketshare while the 5S is blowing it out. A similar metrics service is offered by Fiksu http://www.fiksu.com/iOS-7-iPhone-5s-5c-Usage-Tracker . One of their charts shows that the combination of 5S and 5C are already at 24.3% of all iPhone devices actively in use. Should break 25% within a week. Another chart shows how their adoption rate is tracking vs the 5 on a day-by-day basis since their respective introductions. Although the 5 tracks faster up the ramp, the 5S and the 5C have a significantly larger installed base to compete with as a %. Even so, the combination of 5C and 5S are holding their own vs the original iPhone 5's adoption rate.
post #13 of 80
Weird, because I see the 5c all over the place! Shows how worthless anecdotal data is, I guess.
post #14 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicakes View Post

Weird, because I see the 5c all over the place! Shows how worthless anecdotal data is, I guess.

Yet you added some of your own. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 80

Wow, this is much better then what i expected. Although It isn't what Apple was hoping which was to aim at a completely different market.

 

So basically the 5c is selling at the similar rate ( % wise ) as all previous 1 year older gen iPhone. Except with better margin. However I have seen apple is relaxing the price on 5c in order to boost sales i guess the 5c is still running at the same margin as if it was the iPhone 5.

 

So in terms of Financial and profits. Nothing has changed.

post #16 of 80
I think Tim Cook needs to shut the doors for good%u2026Apple is clearly doomed and this is further proof of their impending demise. I'll be sure to sell my positions on Monday.
post #17 of 80

Anecdote that's not really evidence of anything: my wife, who pays less than zero attention to new phones until she needs one, saw an ad for the 5c on the back of a magazine (the one with 4 different phone/case combos that's been running a lot lately), muttered "God, that's an ugly case," then did a double-take and sputtered, "APPLE made that?" (She thinks the phone's fine, but she can't believe the case.)

post #18 of 80
All I see for new iPhones in my area are 5c's. I have yet to see a 5S in the wild around me.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #19 of 80

Apple simply needs to drop the price on the iPhone 5c.  If Apple were to drop the price to about $450 for an unlocked 32GB 5c, I'd get one to use as an alternative to the aging iPod Touch.  I'm sure the price will drop quite a bit when Apple introduces its next new model iPhone.  I guess most people don't see the purpose of the 5c.  It's based on an older model, still somewhat expensive and doesn't have an A7 processor or Touch ID.  Consumers might as well just spend a little extra cash and buy the 5s if they're going to be stuck with a two-year carrier contract.  So what if the iPhone 5c didn't live up to Apple's expectations of sales?  It's not like it's going to do the company any significant harm since many consumers likely ponied up the extra loot to buy a 5s which has higher profit margins for Apple.  At least, Apple may have learned a valuable marketing lesson.

post #20 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Anecdote that's not really evidence of anything: my wife, who pays less than zero attention to new phones until she needs one, saw an ad for the 5c on the back of a magazine (the one with 4 different phone/case combos that's been running a lot lately), muttered "God, that's an ugly case," then did a double-take and sputtered, "APPLE made that?" (She thinks the phone's fine, but she can't believe the case.)

Honestly, I'm not very happy with the hole-filled case either.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #21 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cue the inane 5C flop posts.

What I see is that over 6% of all iPhones being used today are the iPhone 5C, which is pretty damn impressive considering it's not something early adopters would have and it's using (for the most part) 2012 tech. I wonder what percentage of iPhone 4S's were sold in 2012 after the iPhone 5 launched, or the iPhone 4 in 2011 after the iPhone 4S launched. I can't image the difference in percentages were so great that people now have to disparage the 5C for not being on par with the 5S.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #22 of 80
Just my own anecdote 1wink.gif London, more iPhone 5 actively in use (black). Seen lots of 5c everyday, just about every color. Apple is doing big push in the Tube (wall to wall ad) and carrier are doing pretty good deal like £24 a month and no up front cost.

I think one of the big reason the phone is not getting in more hands is because of the 4G. I am on O2 but their 4G don't support iPhone! And EE still too pricy in my opinion.

I think next year will see more people change phone because of the 4G finally roll out en mass.
post #23 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Apple simply needs to drop the price on the iPhone 5c.

OK, the current model's price will drop anyway when it becomes last year's model. Give the 2014 model the fingerprint sensor and a 64-bit processor and I'll bet that the selling curve will zoom upward.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

First up we are well aware that the iPhone 5c is just the regular iPhone 5 but with colors.
Ok, so you buy an iPhone 5s instead of a 5c.
Um, how is Apple losing?
They ain't!

They are losing because most think: "I'm not paying 500 euros for an year old phone with plastic. I might as well pay 300 and get an Android".

post #25 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

I just bought my ex a new 5c yesterday from Walmart for $29 she was using a 4 before that, I think that was a great price this is a much better phone that what she had.

The problem with 5C is the price model: in Italy a phone is usually purchased off-contract (because overall expense is lower), the iPhone 5C 16GB is sold (after all taxes) at 629€ that is about 850$. To be compared for example with a Nexus5 at 349€ that is about 450$. I don't want to say what is better, my clarification just to explain why in Europe iPhone is quickly losing market share.
post #26 of 80
I have a neice (age 16) and a nephew (age 30). Both have blue iPhone 5c's and love them. Myself, I prefer my daughter's iPhone 5. Maybe this has told Apple that Apple users aren't interested in plastic phones?
post #27 of 80
People seem to be forgetting Touch ID. I upgraded early with the AT&T Next program and I would never go back to a phone that didn't have it. I suspect the 5S is more popular than normal because of it.
post #28 of 80
Some of the other phone purveyors would love to achieve the 5C's share.
post #29 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post


The problem with 5C is the price model: in Italy a phone is usually purchased off-contract (because overall expense is lower), the iPhone 5C 16GB is sold (after all taxes) at 629€ that is about 850$. To be compared for example with a Nexus5 at 349€ that is about 450$. I don't want to say what is better, my clarification just to explain why in Europe iPhone is quickly losing market share.

 

This!  I am waiting on Apple strategy when this phone becomes the low end model before I call this a fail.   If they match the Nexus phone prices with the 5c this fall they will have a good unlock / emerging market option...   (note: Apple would need to sell at around $300-$350 US to have a decent offering in mid-range / unlock markets)

 

Tim Cook said at the shareholder meeting that the growth will be in emerging markets and that China is a priority. But if they keep doing nothing about it and keep throwing them rich countries models,  I don't see how this is an important market for Apple...  

 

Regarding the unlock phone market, its like Apple has buried is head in the sand and still wants to believe the subsidize business model is still ruling. In international markets, customers are tired of insane monthly fees and the trend is quickly moving to unlock phones and this why Apple is losing big chunk of market shares all over the world. Now the Americans who thinks the world revolved around the US and the Apple diehard fanboys want to believe Apple is losing market shares to very cheap sub $100 phones in the wastelands outside of there borders. But this is not the case, they are losing all market segments except the high end, which is now saturated.


Edited by herbapou - 3/8/14 at 4:46am
post #30 of 80

I think one of the reason Apple made the 5c was to make a product that looked inferior to the 5s.  Then when customers were given the choice they would always pick the 5s.  A `steering product' if you will.

post #31 of 80
In other headlines: Apple selling one iPhone 5c for every 3 5s it sells, making them by far the number one and two selling smartphones in the world.
post #32 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelchu View Post

Just my own anecdote 1wink.gif London, more iPhone 5 actively in use (black). Seen lots of 5c everyday, just about every color. Apple is doing big push in the Tube (wall to wall ad) and carrier are doing pretty good deal like £24 a month and no up front cost.

I think one of the big reason the phone is not getting in more hands is because of the 4G. I am on O2 but their 4G don't support iPhone! And EE still too pricy in my opinion.

I think next year will see more people change phone because of the 4G finally roll out en mass.

I'm on 4g on 3....sim only is £15 a month (locked in for a year) it's £18 doing it monthly.
post #33 of 80
What they don't show the iPhone 3GS ???
Ps. The 5c is the mix of the iphone 5 and the iPhone 3GS ... One of my friends thought my phone ( iPhone 3GS ) was the iphone 4c
post #34 of 80
If iPhone 5s is a flop, that is in how many sales were lost to competing platforms,not how man people bought the 5s instead.
post #35 of 80
For the colorful.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 80
I see a metric shitload of 5cs around, so I very much doubt it's doing badly. It simply not as successful as the 5s, which is currently the most successful phone on the planet. By any other standard, the 5c is a successful product, and I doubt Apple minds that its being outsold by the 5s. I'm sure that's exactly what they wanted.
post #37 of 80
I have a 5s and we also have the 5c. I love the 5c it really has a great feel to it. Now I love my 5s but that is because I require the added features. But for people that really don't need the fingerprint or the processor the 5c is an awesome phone
post #38 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

First up we are well aware that the iPhone 5c is just the regular iPhone 5 but with colors.
Ok, so you buy an iPhone 5s instead of a 5c.
Um, how is Apple losing?
They ain't!

away back i criticized iPhone 5c for replacing iPhone 5 and not gonna have huge sales but i was wrong in fact iPhones 5c will sell more than other iPhone models starting this year in fall and even more next year, iPhone 5c will have a great feature: Price!

 

 

Reply

 

 

Reply
post #39 of 80

I will add one thought: We need to compare the sales of the 5C with the 4S it replaced this time last year.  We can't compare the 5C with the current 5S!

post #40 of 80
I think the 5c is doing just fine. Maybe not the runaway smash Apple was hoping for,but if it makes a profit then it is not a "failure". Apple wanted to distinguish the cheaper phone from the flagship and it definitely succeeded from that standpoint as the 5s is definitely a runaway success. This from a phone with a "tiny screen" and an outer shell that is virtually the same as the 5. With the exception of the gold and space gray colors, the phones look virtually identical to last year's model. This would confuse a lot of buyers and would not distinguish the 5s at first glance. The colors on the 5c are not my cup of tea, but it is still a better phone than most of what is out there. Performance-wise, it is a worthy upgrade from the 4/4s and a worthy upgrade if you didn't want to drop the extra $100, but still wanted a newer iPhone. Time will tell if Apple continues with putting last year's guts into a color shell, but it was worth a try.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant