or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant - Page 2

post #41 of 80
Actually you can call it a failure. In general you would expect cheaper phones to sell more. I know people think a cheaper 5C might have affected sales of the 5S, I don't buy it as people who bought the 5S could afford it anyway. Look at the iPad to see the cheaper model sell more. Imagine a world where the iPhone 5C was outselling the iPhone 5S by 2-1 and the 5S was not affected. Of course that would be a world where the iPhone 5C were cheaper.

I think something like that could happen this year. I can't see Apple selling this years model, last years model and last years cheap model. That would make no sense ( why even introduce the plastic model if you revert back to the old scheme? ). So it would be 6, 6C, and 5C. The latter two being plastic. The 5C cheap and sold off contract only in most countries. That could be a game changer as the iPhone 5C is better than most cheap or mid range Androids.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Actually you can call it a failure. In general you would expect cheaper phones to sell more. I know people think a cheaper 5C might have affected sales of the 5S, I don't buy it as people who bought the 5S could afford it anyway. Look at the iPad to see the cheaper model sell more. Imagine a world where the iPhone 5C was outselling the iPhone 5S by 2-1 and the 5S was not affected. Of course that would be a world where the iPhone 5C were cheaper.
 

 

So, imagine a fictional world where the 5C is doing even better than the 5S? Sure- it's always easy to image something selling even more. But that's never been in Apple's DNA. They don't push their chepaest products the hardest. They don't WANT they cheapest products cannibalizing sales of their pricier ones. They want their "flagship" products to be the most lusted and sought after. The current scenarios is pretty damn close to ideal for Apple. I doubt they'd want 5Cs flooding the market while the 5S becomes more of a niche product. The 5S contains tech that Apple wants to push- Touch ID, 64bit, ultra-high build quality, etc. 

 

"Imagine a world where the iPhone 5C was outselling the iPhone 5S by 2-1 and the 5S was not affected."

 

So imagine a world where a shitload more people were buying iPhones? Um, ok. That doesnt mean that was a realistic scenario, today. Total iPhone sales are smashing all previous records, so your alternate reality is pretty fictional. My point is that there's no way the 5C can be considered a "failure" if any other company produced ONLY the 5C in their product line, and nothing else, they'd still be insanely successful. 

post #43 of 80
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post
 

I just bought my ex a new 5c yesterday from Walmart for $29 she was using a 4 before that, I think that was a great price this is a much better phone that what she had.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post


The problem with 5C is the price model: in Italy a phone is usually purchased off-contract (because overall expense is lower), the iPhone 5C 16GB is sold (after all taxes) at 629€ that is about 850$. To be compared for example with a Nexus5 at 349€ that is about 450$. I don't want to say what is better, my clarification just to explain why in Europe iPhone is quickly losing market share.

 

  I understand that.  But there are a lot of people like mwhiteco in the US for whom the 5c wasn't a bad deal, so I disagree with some of the negative posts about the 5c in the States.  Here there's a major part of the cell phone users who don't consider buying a phone off contract.  When you have a family plan with five and every few months one of the lines is up it's really no terrible thing to go with a contract phone on an upgrade.  Last year my college age daughter had her 4 stolen so I gave her my upgrade and she got a 5c.  I don't remember offhand what the price was but it was around $50 and another 2 years, and I do remember that it was more of a difference than comparing the off contract phones (which were too high $$$ for the situation).  IIRC it was more than the current difference of around $150.  I used the yardstick of what my reality was, which was comparing the contracts.   I was happy with the cost and she still loves it six months later.    In four months she can take my wife's upgrade, pass the 5c to her younger sister and get a 5s or whatever seems best at the time for the upgrade cost.  (My wife still refuses to have a smartphone but I can guarentee that if she had to she'd get the cheapest iPhone available unless the difference was less than maybe $75 and she would also find it perfectly fine.)

 

  Whatever people's opinions are about the 5c, I think Apple needs to not have only a single new model available, with only storage size choices.    Their 5c mistake, IMO, was in not giving it a better monetary introduction, getting the costs further apart either by subsidizing or margin, while they were making everyone lust after the barely available 5s.  Nothing wrong with the hardware.  

 

Finding a decent case was a PITA though, I'll tell you  :  )

post #44 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I've seen the 5C in public and some Olympians have them as well.
 

What's your point?

 

We have all seen the 5c in public, whether it be teenagers at the mall or Olympians.

 

Bartenders, SI swimsuit models, truck drivers and Fortune 500 CEOs carry around the 5s. 

Last I heard, the 5C was the second most popular phone on the planet, second only to the 5S.  But that doesn't stop them all from calling it a flop, despite the fact that each and every one of them would give anything they had to produce such a "flop". 

post #45 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicakes View Post

Weird, because I see the 5c all over the place! Shows how worthless anecdotal data is, I guess.

Yet you added some of your own. lol.gif

I've seen anecdotal evidence that has been totally correct.  Or, at least, it seemed that way to me at the time...

post #46 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So, imagine a fictional world where the 5C is doing even better than the 5S? Sure- it's always easy to image something selling even more. But that's never been in Apple's DNA. They don't push their chepaest products the hardest. They don't WANT they cheapest products cannibalizing sales of their pricier ones. They want their "flagship" products to be the most lusted and sought after. The current scenarios is pretty damn close to ideal for Apple. I doubt they'd want 5Cs flooding the market while the 5S becomes more of a niche product. The 5S contains tech that Apple wants to push- Touch ID, 64bit, ultra-high build quality, etc. 

"Imagine a world where the iPhone 5C was outselling the iPhone 5S by 2-1 and the 5S was not affected."

So imagine a world where a shitload more people were buying iPhones? Um, ok. That doesnt mean that was a realistic scenario, today. Total iPhone sales are smashing all previous records, so your alternate reality is pretty fictional. My point is that there's no way the 5C can be considered a "failure" if any other company produced ONLY the 5C in their product line, and nothing else, they'd still be insanely successful. 

I said that I didn't think they would have seen any cannibalisation, as people who have bought the 5S would do so anyway.

Despite the rhetoric Apple do want to increase sales in developing countries and a cheaper 5C will be the way.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #47 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post
 

I just bought my ex a new 5c yesterday from Walmart for $29 she was using a 4 before that, I think that was a great price this is a much better phone that what she had.

If she's your ex, why didn't you buy her an Android?

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #48 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

I think Tim Cook needs to shut the doors for good%u2026Apple is clearly doomed and this is further proof of their impending demise. I'll be sure to sell my positions on Monday.

Why so pessimistic?

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #49 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I have a neice (age 16) and a nephew (age 30). Both have blue iPhone 5c's and love them. Myself, I prefer my daughter's iPhone 5. Maybe this has told Apple that Apple users aren't interested in plastic phones?

So out of your tiny survey of three people, two thirds of them prefer plastic phones, and from this you deduce that Apple therefore aren't interested in them? 

 

Maybe you need to lie down.

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #50 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyC2013 View Post
 

I think one of the reason Apple made the 5c was to make a product that looked inferior to the 5s.  Then when customers were given the choice they would always pick the 5s.  A `steering product' if you will.

Yep, Apple were determined to make a product that no-one would want to buy. Clearly, the iPhone 5s was so unattractive that they had to make another product that was even worse, in a desperate attempt to lure the bottom of the barrel customer. Bloody hell.

iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #51 of 80

Because we still get along and I wouldn't give an Android to my worst enemy!!!! Also she had Android before and it was the worst pile of crap ever and I am the one who gave her the 4.

post #52 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If she's your ex, why didn't you buy her an Android?

Because he's not ready to be celibate. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Not only do I not know anyone that has one, I have never seen anyone with one.

What does that mean, most people I see have cases.
post #54 of 80
I went into the Apple Store and test drove the 5c and 5s on all the apps I use. I saw no appreciable difference in performance. The 5c felt better in my hand. I liked the way the default background matched the case - It looked very stylish. So I bought the 5c and am very happy with it.
The Apple honeycomb covers are ludicrously priced and so I have no intention of buying one, and I reckon using one would detract from the tactile experience which I believe is one of the 5c's USPs.
I'm on O2 and don't use 4g because 4g isn't available in my area. But as far as I know the 5c is 4g capable.
post #55 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cue the inane 5C flop posts.

It's not a flop, but it shows a clear misjudgment of the market from the Apple brass. Tim Cook as much as admitted to this fact.

Just goes to show that the people who run Apple are also human (and before the "SteveJobs wouldn't have" folks chime in, Jobs was also prone to many mistakes).
post #56 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post


It's not a flop, but it shows a clear misjudgment of the market from the Apple brass. Tim Cook as much as admitted to this fact.

Just goes to show that the people who run Apple are also human (and before the "SteveJobs wouldn't have" folks chime in, Jobs was also prone to many mistakes).

 

Time Cook merely said Apple underestimated the market for the 5S, and over estimated the market for the 5C. Considering the margins are higher for the 5S, it wasn't really a bad problem for Apple to have. Moreover, there were other nonintrinsic benefits, such as taking over more retail space in third party stores, and giving customers a choice. 

 

From my perspective a six percent market share amongst all operating iPhones seems pretty good for the 5C after less than a year, and twenty percent for the 5S seems incredibly good. 

 

My girlfriend bought a 5C, and I have played with it quite a bit. I think it is a great phone. It is not the 5S, but still a great phone. I think Apple misjudged people's vanity. If you buy a year old iPhone 5, it looks like you are just waiting for your contract to expire, whereas with the iPhone 5S it looks like you just wanted to save a hundred bucks.

post #57 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

I went into the Apple Store and test drove the 5c and 5s on all the apps I use. I saw no appreciable difference in performance. The 5c felt better in my hand. I liked the way the default background matched the case - It looked very stylish. So I bought the 5c and am very happy with it.
The Apple honeycomb covers are ludicrously priced and so I have no intention of buying one, and I reckon using one would detract from the tactile experience which I believe is one of the 5c's USPs.
I'm on O2 and don't use 4g because 4g isn't available in my area. But as far as I know the 5c is 4g capable.

Glad you like the 5c. Although I've only held it in a Store, it seemed a lovely phone.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #58 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

I think Tim Cook needs to shut the doors for good. Apple is clearly doomed and this is further proof of their impending demise. I'll be sure to sell my positions on Monday.

Why so pessimistic?

 

I'm not…it's sarcasm.

post #59 of 80

I wouldn't call the 5c a flop. I love the colors, but it is heavier...Apple has always been about the "premium brand." The 5s is the only way to go! :)

post #60 of 80
A couple of years from now the 5C might be the new entry level 4. We'll see how Apple meant to do it. It'd make sense if the update cycle of the 5c isn't annual, instead pushing production costs down and keeping the design separate from the top line. The C and S might look somewhat similar today, but in a few years it'll probably be even more different from the top line, and cheaper, making it increasingly more appealing as an entry level phone.
Just my thoughts.
post #61 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

A couple of years from now the 5C might be the new entry level 4. We'll see how Apple meant to do it. It'd make sense if the update cycle of the 5c isn't annual, instead pushing production costs down and keeping the design separate from the top line. The C and S might look somewhat similar today, but in a few years it'll probably be even more different from the top line, and cheaper, making it increasingly more appealing as an entry level phone.
Just my thoughts.

In theory, i think the 5C was a good idea but it seems to have caused a high amount confusion among buyers. Even many people who read and post about tech on the internet seem to keep comparing the 5C sales to the 5S instead of comparing it to previous gen iPhone sales going into their second year. If you're going to run out to buy an iPhone opening weekend it was never likely going to the 5C with 2012 HW. For those reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kills it and simply does one new iPhone per year (for a given display size).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #62 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In theory, i think the 5C was a good idea but it seems to have caused a high amount confusion among buyers. Even many people who read and post about tech on the internet seem to keep comparing the 5C sales to the 5S instead of comparing it to previous gen iPhone sales going into their second year. If you're going to run out to buy an iPhone opening weekend it was never likely going to the 5C with 2012 HW. For those reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kills it and simply does one new iPhone per year (for a given display size).

You could be right, but I feel that it's too early to say. After all, this is the first year that Apple has adopted a new strategy, so to finish it so soon might be seen as panicking.

Last year's tech in a cheaper encasing—imagine the 5s in a plastic case this year; I think it would sell well. And if they do a wearable, it would be easy to sell two models—one for the 6 and one for the 6c.

Looking at the Mac line, Apple used to do three of a kind, whereas they tend to do two these days. Two sizes of iMac, two of MacBook Air, two MacBook Pro. Admittedly, I'm looking at screen size as the differentiator.
iPad a Dream.
Reply
iPad a Dream.
Reply
post #63 of 80

i think people who see the 5c as a failure seem to already have forgotten how apple handled the iPod when that segment matured. no one considered the iPod shuffle a failure because it failed to reach the growth of the regular iPod or iPod mini/nano.

post #64 of 80

Yup, My wife just upgraded a 5c (from a 4). I was encouraging her to get the 5s making the argument it was only $100 more explaining it's motion sensor 64 bit ness and fingerprint unlock, when she looked at me (with a face that only married men understand) and said "well if I was spending more I would rather have the 32GB 5c"

And that's precisely what she got... in kermit green. 

 

Its funny, the 5c is thriving despite the fact that the press has been relentlessly trying to convince people they don't want it (and that nobody wants it)

post #65 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Actually you can call it a failure. In general you would expect cheaper phones to sell more.

Then all phones that can't outsell the 5S are failures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In theory, i think the 5C was a good idea but it seems to have caused a high amount confusion among buyers. Even many people who read and post about tech on the internet seem to keep comparing the 5C sales to the 5S instead of comparing it to previous gen iPhone sales going into their second year. If you're going to run out to buy an iPhone opening weekend it was never likely going to the 5C with 2012 HW. For those reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kills it and simply does one new iPhone per year (for a given display size).

There's no confusion. Those that want the latest and greatest buy the 5S. Those that are on the fence, cost may be a deciding factor.
post #66 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

There's no confusion. Those that want the latest and greatest buy the 5S. Those that are on the fence, cost may be a deciding factor.

I don't know. People here seem to expect the 5C to have the same demand as the 5S. Anecdotally everyone I know that has a 5C bought it without actually realizing that it was newly released or they knew it was newly released but didn't know it wasn't the top of the line iPhone. For the latter, these people didn't know about TouchID. It seems these 5C buyers were just told what to buy from the retail employees at the carrier stores, which were without any real 5S supply for months.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #67 of 80

It felt like a doomed campaign from the start, based on my experience getting one in Sept.  This was, IIRC, when the first crop of 5s's were shipped and people who didn't get on that bunch had to order and wait for more, so that wasn't in stock.  First, the salesperson couldn't have been more enthusiastic pitching the 5s yet we couldn't get any solid info about exactly what the deal was with the 5c from them.  Had to get all of that from Apple news sites, which wasn't unexpected, but they answered any question about the 5c with a disinterested grunt with literally no answer, waiting to take orders for a 5s.  It was just too obvious they didn't even want to sell it to me, I practically had to convince her to.

 

Second, not only did that Verizon store not have any cases for it aside from the ridiculous overpriced Apple ones, but no one had more than a few cheesy ugly (and overpriced ones) for weeks.  It barely got any better up through now.  I get it that case makers didn't think 5c owners would spend a lot of money on a case, but the result was hardly any being available.  Even the major manufacturers that offered a few of them didn't appear to offer them in stores.  

 

It did have the feeling of being tainted marketing-wise from the get go.  A shame.

post #68 of 80

The 5c is the last plastic iPhone from Apple.

post #69 of 80

As I've pointed out before, the 5c is more of a supply chain play than anything.  One of the production bottlenecks with the iPhone 5 was the CNC-machined aluminum shell.  Even though Apple eventually expanded capacity enough to handle the iPhone 5 demand, ramping up the 5s AND keeping the 5 would have required a substantial increase in aluminum machining capacity.  Introducing the 5c allowed Apple to use less expensive plastic shells and stamped steel internals that can be produced much faster than the 5/5s.

 

Looking at the 5c sales, the only measure that matters is how its year-over-year sales compare to the midlevel iPhone from the year before.  Comparing 5c sales with the 5s, or even other flagship Android models, is absurd, disingenuous, idiotic, etc.  The 5c is this year's midlevel iPhone.  It might count as a new product, but it's not a new product category or even a new price point, and should not be analyzed as such.  Analysts who choose to do so obviously have their own agenda to pursue.


Edited by Woochifer - 3/9/14 at 1:03pm
post #70 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I don't know. People here seem to expect the 5C to have the same demand as the 5S. Anecdotally everyone I know that has a 5C bought it without actually realizing that it was newly released or they knew it was newly released but didn't know it wasn't the top of the line iPhone. For the latter, these people didn't know about TouchID. It seems these 5C buyers were just told what to buy from the retail employees at the carrier stores, which were without any real 5S supply for months.

How different are these consumers from those that would have purchased the 4s at this time last year, or any of Apple's midprice level phones in prior years?  The 5c is $100 less than the 5s, and at launch it was more widely available.  Aside from more color options and its own marketing campaign at launch, the 5c is basically another midlevel iPhone.  

post #71 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

How different are these consumers from those that would have purchased the 4s at this time last year, or any of Apple's midprice level phones in prior years?  The 5c is $100 less than the 5s, and at launch it was more widely available.  Aside from more color options and its own marketing campaign at launch, the 5c is basically another midlevel iPhone.  

I assume the buyers aren't very different at all. The color could be an attractive quality to a minor extent, but I think most that want the older tech because it's less expensive, or, rather, don't care enough to consider what is the latest tech, would have probably bought the iPhone 5 at about the same rate as the 5C once the 5S was introduced.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

As I've pointed out before, the 5c is more of a supply chain play than anything.  One of the production bottlenecks with the iPhone 5 was the CNC-machined aluminum shell.  Even though Apple eventually expanded capacity enough to handle the iPhone 5 demand, ramping up the 5s AND keeping the 5 would have required a substantial increase in aluminum machining capacity.  Introducing the 5c allowed Apple to use less expensive plastic shells and stamped steel internals that can be produced much faster than the 5/5s.

Looking at the 5c sales, the only measure that matters is how its year-over-year sales compare to the midlevel iPhone from the year before.  Comparing 5c sales with the 5s, or even other flagship Android models, is absurd, disingenuous, idiotic, etc.  The 5c is this year's midlevel iPhone.  It might count as a new product, but it's not a new product category or even a new price point, and should not be analyzed as such.  Analysts who choose to do so obviously have their own agenda to pursue.

it was a different category as it.

1) looked different from the 5
2) was released in the same year as the 5S (which matters to software upgrades)
3) did in fact have different internals.

That's not the same as the 2 year old 4S which had none of this.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


it was a different category as it.

1) looked different from the 5
2) was released in the same year as the 5S (which matters to software upgrades)
3) did in fact have different internals.

That's not the same as the 2 year old 4S which had none of this.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck.


It's not a new category because the 5c occupies the same midlevel price point, and follows the same previous strategy of offering the previous year's technology at a lower price.  The internals are different only so much as they bypass the production bottlenecks associated with the 5/5s' aluminum shell.  The processors and the vast majority of the actual circuits inside the 5c are identical those used in the 5. 

 

Yes, it's a duck, but so is the 5. -- and if you compare benchmarks and functional capabilities, you'd see that the 5c and 5 are basically identical.  The differences that you cite are superficial, at best.

post #74 of 80
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
1) looked different from the 5


But is the 5.

 
2) was released in the same year as the 5S (which matters to software upgrades)

 

But, as it has the 5’s hardware, will not be receiving updates alongside the 5S.

 
3) did in fact have different internals.

 

“Marginally increased battery life” does not matter as internals go. That won’t let it magically see iOS 10.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Not only do I not know anyone that has one, I have never seen anyone with one.

I don't know anyone who has ever bought a Miley Cyrus album/CD and I have never seen anyone with a Miley Cyrus album/CD. I don't even know anyone who listens to Miley Cyrus on the radio. What does this mean? Other than it suggesting that I don't know anyone who listens to or buys crappy pop-tart music, not much. She's probably sold a lot more CDs than Apple has sold iPhone 5Cs, and yet I have never seen a Miley fan in the wild.

 

I absolutely mean no offense to you. But it always amuses me when people offer this sort of anecdote, as if it has any bearing on whether or not a product is popular or not. Maybe it is indicative of the popularity of a product. Or maybe it just means that the person making the claim needs to get out of the house more... or travel to more & different places.

 

Who knows? But it certainly doesn't pass the test for even the most basic form of sampling.

 

I'm sure Cook/Apple is disappointed in the 5C sales. At best, it seems to be doing nothing more than picking up a few incremental sales at the margin. It's not the complete flop that some try to make it out to be, but it's not a success either. Hopefully Apple will introduce a phone this fall to take its place that has a more clear cut (and successful) strategy.

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
Reply
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
 

I don't know anyone who has ever bought a Miley Cyrus album/CD and I have never seen anyone with a Miley Cyrus album/CD. I don't even know anyone who listens to Miley Cyrus on the radio. What does this mean? Other than it suggesting that I don't know anyone who listens to or buys crappy pop-tart music, not much. 

 

Or perhaps you don't know your friends' musical tastes as well as you think!

post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

In theory, i think the 5C was a good idea but it seems to have caused a high amount confusion among buyers. Even many people who read and post about tech on the internet seem to keep comparing the 5C sales to the 5S instead of comparing it to previous gen iPhone sales going into their second year. If you're going to run out to buy an iPhone opening weekend it was never likely going to the 5C with 2012 HW. For those reasons I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kills it and simply does one new iPhone per year (for a given display size).

According to past practice there should be a new form factor this year. Does the 5s then get the plastic back? Do they stick with the plastic 5c, or get rid of it and keep the 4S? It's definitely going to be a interesting year.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #78 of 80

My carrier has introduced 4G connectivity at 3G rate plans, but only for the 5c and 5s. Since my wife has the 5s and is pretty much always connected to Wifi, it looks like I'll end up buying the 5c finally! As long as the internals compare to my 5, it is good.

 

The only step back would be going from 64GB to 32GB, but over the years the number of apps I actually use has reduced so hopefully I should manage.

 

I'm eyeing the blue one or the green one...

post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


According to past practice there should be a new form factor this year. Does the 5s then get the plastic back? Do they stick with the plastic 5c, or get rid of it and keep the 4S? It's definitely going to be a interesting year.

 

Strong arguments either way.  Since the iPhone 6 is going to a brand new design, keeping the 5s does not pose the same potential supply chain constraints that keeping the 5 would have had for this year's production cycle.  Compared to keeping the 5s, moving the 5s internals into a "6c" plastic shell would streamline the production and probably raise the margins.

 

But, what kind of effect would that move have on the year-over-year sales trend?  Would more consumers buy a year-old 5s or a plastic "6c"?  This year, the 5c had novelty in its favor, and it served a purpose in the supply chain management by removing a potential production bottleneck for the 5s.  Next year, those factors would not apply with the "6c." 

 

I don't see any reason to keep the 4s.  It does not use the Lightning connector, and moving the 5c into the entry level slot would complete that migration for the iPhone lineup.  Plus, I suspect that the other A5-based models (iPad2, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th gen) will get phased out by year's end, so there's that consideration as well.

post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

I think it can go either way.  Since the iPhone 6 is going to a brand new design, keeping the 5s does not pose the same potential supply chain constraints that keeping the 5 would have for this year's production cycle.  Compared to keeping the 5s, moving the 5s internals into a "6c" plastic shell would streamline the production and probably raise the margins.

But, what kind of effect would that move have on the year-over-year sales trend?  Would more consumers buy a year-old 5s or a plastic "6c"?  This year, the 5c had novelty in its favor, and it served a purpose in the supply chain management by removing a potential production bottleneck for the 5s.  Next year, those factors would not apply with the "6c." 

I don't see any reason to keep the 4s.  It does not use the Lightning connector, and moving the 5c into the entry level slot would complete that migration for the iPhone lineup.  Plus, I suspect that the other A5-based models (iPad2, iPad mini, and iPod touch 5th gen) will get phased out by year's end, so there's that consideration as well.

Are you saying that they'll go away from using aluminum? I can only see them going with Liquid Metal if that's the case, and I'm not sure that'll be a cost effective material yet.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Report: iPhone 5s to soon account for 1 in 5 iPhones, 5c growth stagnant