or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'

AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice' - Page 3

post #81 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Verizon lost big on FiOS.  They've already given up the plans they had for expanding the service into other regions.  Any future improvements entail filling in network gaps for the areas where they've already installed FiOS service, and milking their existing infrastructure for whatever revenue they can squeeze from it.

Verizon didn't lose, they just got tired of all the hoops they had to jump through in order to offer TV. The current CEO came from the wireless side, and concerns himself more with that than the landline side.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

We've heard these same bs arguments for way too long. They're getting tired and old.

Frankly, the quality is pretty mediocre even in dense population corridors such as the Boston-DC and LA-SF (which are more similar to European urban agglomerations than some Iowa cornfield that stretches from here to forever).

The simple problem we have is low expectations.

True.  And it holds for our infrastructure as a whole -- tech or non-tech.  Everything from our cell system to our bridges to you-name-it is awful.  Too many people have been convinced that this is just the way things are gonna be, and there's nothing to be done about it.  So they have, as you say, low expectations.

People complain about un- or low employment?  Put the damn country to work fixing the effin' infrastructure!  Will it cost money?  Yes.  Will it put people to work?  Yes.  Will those people then have money to put back into the economy AND pay more taxes?  Yes.

Ugh.  I'm going to stop now, before I get into full rant mode. :)

Feel free to go into full rant mode. We are going to watch China melt down economically soon and it will be because they have created massive debt to fund massive infrastructure in an attempt to maintain full employment. In the U.S. the infrastructure money is stolen via crony-capitalism and via entitlements. It is the same for health care where the federal government already spends as much money just on care for the elderly as most other countries spend on their universal health care and the rest of the population gets exactly nothing for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Great to see some price competition. I bought an unlocked iPhone 5S and then made Wal-Mart's Straighttalk plan work on it. It's a clumsy solution as you have to use a special gadget to stamp a Micro sim into a nano sim to fit the iPhone 5S.

But it's unlimited everything for $45 and rides on AT&T. After 2.5 GB in any month, the speed can be throttled down.

Straight Talk can be a good value for some but their throttling is often arbitrary and has no means of appealing. Howard Forums has a thread where people can check their data usage by texting 611611 and there are people being throttled for less than a 1 gig of use.

I'm really enjoying having four iPhones on Tmobile for $130 a month. The coverage is good enough. AT&T has stepped up their game though with a four line/10 gig shared data option available for $160 that I am looking at as well as it supposedly covers many of our summer camping locations betters with high speed data. Competition is good all around and still needs to get better.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Verizon didn't lose, they just got tired of all the hoops they had to jump through in order to offer TV. The current CEO came from the wireless side, and concerns himself more with that than the landline side.

My understanding is that Verizon sunk over $20 billion into FiOS, and the returns were lower (with higher costs) than they expected. That's why they pulled the plug on their planned expansion into new regions, yet they have added service within the regions that they already serve.  FiOS' network performance and picture quality for TV service are great, but consumers seem not as willing to pay more for higher service quality. 

post #84 of 87
Just for the record, Straighttalk will work with an unlocked phone. No need to purchase from Walmart.

I read about the scores of frustrated users being throttled early, but I assume many of those users were trying to game the system somehow.

I turned off video stuff on cellular and so far, enjoying great coverage, high quality calls and fast speeds on my unlocked iPhone 5S.

WITH all taxes, it is under $50 per month.
post #85 of 87
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post
Just for the record, Straighttalk will work with an unlocked phone. No need to purchase from Walmart.

Depends on the network you want to be able to use.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #86 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

My understanding is that Verizon sunk over $20 billion into FiOS, and the returns were lower (with higher costs) than they expected. That's why they pulled the plug on their planned expansion into new regions, yet they have added service within the regions that they already serve.  FiOS' network performance and picture quality for TV service are great, but consumers seem not as willing to pay more for higher service quality. 

They actually started making money from the FiOS last year. They might start building where it's cost effective, but I doubt they'll ever build in rural areas where it'll take them decades to recover the capital investment.

The one benefit of the FiOS is that VZ is no longer forced to unbundle the network, meaning that they don't have to allow a competitor on it like they were onto the copper network.

They've also made a few moves lately; partnered with Redbox, and purchased Intel's media assets. They have a game plan and I guess we'll see what that is in the near future.
post #87 of 87
They still don't get it. I would rather have the 2 Gig of Internet at full speed and then throttled then to be hit over the head by dozens of Fees. I switched from Verizon to TMobile 2 years ago and haven't looked back. The service is good while Verizons was a notch higher, it's good enough. I'm still saving at least $35-$40 or more a month and I don't have to worry about any fees. Verizon, ATT, We want Unlimited data, Unlimited Text, and Unlimited talk at sub $80. I'm okay with Throttling, but come on.

Even with the lower price ATT is not Unlimited and will hit you in the head with crazy over use fees on the data. If you don't go over your still about $15 to $20 higher a month. You call this competing??
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T drops price of 2GB no-contract plan by $15, T-Mobile doubles down on 'Simple Choice'