or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements

Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements - Page 2

post #41 of 136
You can now change the gender of UK English Siri....liking the less robotic female approach! I haven't had time to check, but I think changing the Siri voice still changes the spelling.
post #42 of 136
I can now conference call more then 8 people !
post #43 of 136
So happy to see the finally fixed the calendar month view. It was one of my biggest complains about iOS 7.0
post #44 of 136
Installed a few hours ago. My iPhone 5 now sure feel snappier. UI enhancements here and there looks great. Good stuff.
post #45 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Must be my slow iPhone. Normally I'm #1 to make a derogative remark about the competition.

What competition? 1biggrin.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #46 of 136
One of the things that really pisses me off is the today view that shows you the weather but does not show you the current temperature all the time. It shows you the high for the day and it shows you the low for the day sometimes but doesn't show you the current temperature all the time. That really pisses me off that you cannot control that.

Miniscule rant over.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
post #47 of 136

ufff ok.  these file is heavy. let me se if there some issues or advantages installing the full image instead of having the patch. 

post #48 of 136

Hooray - I can finally read the time and see the battery status on my home screen now.  Previously the brightness of my home screen photo made it very difficult to see then clearly.  Glad they addressed this.

post #49 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Nice update! I just hope the constant Safari crash is fixed. It happens at least 10 times a day for me on my iPhone 5s. Same with my iPad. 

We tested it using our web app, it used to crash on iPad 2/iPad mini, now runs fine without problems.

post #50 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Just starting the download. I'm hoping some of these
phone resets/springboard crashes are fixed. Has been the bane of my life in the past number of months.

I, too, am hoping the crashes during app switching/springboard ops are resolved. They certainly are annoying for such an expensive device.

If iPhone crashes are the worst thing in your life then you are a very lucky person - count your blessings.
post #51 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

• Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000

Finally ! It's about time they dedicated substantial resources for this scourge. /s

Seriously, even though it was probably a simple quick fix, this is sooo trivial and much more a personal organizational problem than a technical one. I guess some business users could possibly carry 10,000 emails for business or legal issues, but unread ?

post #52 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Nevermind. Turn this setting on, then visit Maps. Major bug. Search field is black. Text is black. Text is invisible. Well done Apple. Solid testing. (feedback submitted)

I don't have this issue.
post #53 of 136

Guys..... mine just froze for 10 seg opening mail.......

post #54 of 136
There's still a few glaring bugs like the notes-date-to-first-line-gap that shirnks and grows depending on what it wants and the duplicate alarms that get created in Calendar. Both bugs which have been around for months now.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #55 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. 1wink.gif

That's the same as Ars Technica, when an article about Microsoft is being posted on. We get all of those anti Apple people posting something pretty quickly. Strange to see it there though. But then, we get a lot of anti Apple posting in Apple articles too.

Let's face it, there's a rivalry between all of the various OSs and manufacturers. It will never stop anywhere, and you just have to get used to it, and stop letting it bother you.
post #56 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's the same as Ars Technica, when an article about Microsoft is being posted on. We get all of those anti Apple people posting something pretty quickly. Strange to see it there though. But then, we get a lot of anti Apple posting in Apple articles too.

Let's face it, there's a rivalry between all of the various OSs and manufacturers. It will never stop anywhere, and you just have to get used to it, and stop letting it bother you.

It doesn't bother me at all. 1smoking.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #57 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by glancingaft View Post

So happy to see the finally fixed the calendar month view. It was one of my biggest complains about iOS 7.0

Calendar Month View

Jan 2007 - Sept 2013

Calendar Month View

March 2014 to Present

Guess Apple can chock that one up to, "Oops."

post #58 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by glancingaft View Post

Didn't hear about other changes to the calendar except for what's listed, but any chance the ability to duplicate events with a swipe on the device has been added?

Thanks.

post #59 of 136
Agreed! The springboard/multitasking crash was my entire eagerness for this update! At LAST!!

So far, on my iPad Air, I couldn't get it to crash! My iPhone 5S is still installing. So, I'll see when it's done. But, so far, everything is MUCH snappier and (appears to be) more stable! Transitions are very noticeably more snappy.

I also agree with the earlier post: It'd been nice to just rest my thumb on the TouchID sensor for Siri to know when I'm still dictating.

Maybe next time.
post #60 of 136
Quote:

Of course not. What was I thinking?
post #61 of 136
Quote:

Unable to Check for Update

An error occured while checking for

a software update.

Cancel      Try Again

:-(

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #62 of 136
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how this experience will be on Android. Is it something, like, BOOM¿

...and it took 17 posts before Google and/or Android got an off-topic mention. 1wink.gif

.... and less than 17 from that for you to -- ever so faithfully and predictably -- point it out. ;) 

post #63 of 136
Quote:

Quote:

You certainly don't sound like it in your posts.

post #64 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

.... and less than 17 from that for you to -- every so faithfully and predictably -- point it out. 1wink.gif

Your iPhone a little slow today too I see. 1biggrin.gif
post #65 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon Schultz View Post

I don't have this issue.

Neither do I.
post #66 of 136

The App Store is 1000000x times faster. Wow.

post #67 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurpbleepbloop View Post

I, too, am hoping the crashes during app switching/springboard ops are resolved. They certainly are annoying for such an expensive device.

If iPhone crashes are the worst thing in your life then you are a very lucky person - count your blessings.
..bane of my *digital* life 1wink.gif
post #68 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Likely an Apple server overload with so many trying to download this at the same time.
post #69 of 136
I wish Siri would get the option to process the voice to text on the phone instead of on Apple servers. I'm so tiered of waiting and waiting and waiting for Sire to come back only to have it get what I said wrong. Then I try again with same results and then try again and finally after a minute and a half too two minutes it gets it right. On the Mac you can enable this feature and it's amazing. As you speak the words just fly onto the screen. If it gets a word wrong you can change it before continuing. This would be the single most productivity enhancement the iPhone could get!
post #70 of 136
I thought I heard they were changing the volume button when playing a YouTube video so it didn't block the screen. That seems like such a glaring oversight design wise.
post #71 of 136
Quote:

Neither do I.

Did you update OTA? The natural response is to say it's my fault I didn't do a full update thru iTunes, but then I wonder why Apple would allow such a buggy update process with the OTA deltas.

Also, I updated an iPad mini OTA, but the download was 2.5 GB, which seems more than a delta update, and it too has the black search field bug.
post #72 of 136
Just updated, and it does feel quicker.
post #73 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Did you update OTA? The natural response is to say it's my fault I didn't do a full update thru iTunes, but then I wonder why Apple would allow such a buggy update process with the OTA deltas.

Also, I updated an iPad mini OTA, but the download was 2.5 GB, which seems more than a delta update, and it too has the black search field bug.

Ota for my phone. I'm updating my iPad right now as I'm typing this. I always update iOS devices ota. Do t know why the mini update would be that big. Did you update all in between updates before this one? If not, that could be the reason. If you did, then I'm at a loss. I'll see what happens on my iPad once it's through.
post #74 of 136
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
I thought I heard they were changing the volume button when playing a YouTube video so it didn't block the screen. That seems like such a glaring oversight design wise.

What, on YouTube.com in Safari? That wouldn’t be different from the standard QuickTime control block.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #75 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony0 View Post

Finally ! It's about time they dedicated substantial resources for this scourge. /s

Seriously, even though it was probably a simple quick fix, this is sooo trivial and much more a personal organizational problem than a technical one. 
I guess some business users could possibly carry 10,000 emails for business or legal issues, but unread ?

I've got 14000 unread.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #76 of 136
Videos is still a world of pain. The UI fixes are over due, I don't notice any increase in speed on the 4s. Bit meh.
post #77 of 136
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Likely an Apple server overload with so many trying to download this at the same time.

Yup.  Fixed.

Now, if Apple would just allow OTA updates over the LTE service I pay so much money for...

post #78 of 136
Quote:

Ota for my phone. I'm updating my iPad right now as I'm typing this. I always update iOS devices ota. Do t know why the mini update would be that big. Did you update all in between updates before this one? If not, that could be the reason. If you did, then I'm at a loss. I'll see what happens on my iPad once it's through.
Yep all the intermediate updates were applied.
post #79 of 136

Hopefully the performance improvements on iPhone 4 are significant.  It can't possibly get much worse without rendering the phone entirely inoperative.  

Disappointed to see there is still no fix for the "Messages (Saved)" bug that takes up 3.6GB on my phone.  Deleting iMessage threads don't remove these "saved" messages for some reason.  Maybe iOS 7.2...

post #80 of 136
Quote:

Quote:

Must be my slow iPhone. Normally I'm #1 to make a derogative remark about the competition.

1biggrin.gif

Apologies where apologies are due. Lambasting competitors' products is the wrong approach to preach for my preference, which are Apple products. It not only shows my true colours for not fully knowing how a competitors product works, but also shows my lame attempt at humour. Lame humour, which I must stop doing, as it derails a thread which could remain a civilised one and I simply should keep to the topic at hand.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, Siri and Touch ID improvements