or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7.1 brings iPhone 4 speed enhancements, iBeacon improvements

Apple's iOS 7.1 brings iPhone 4 speed enhancements, iBeacon improvements

post #1 of 67
Along with the addition of headline features like CarPlay, Apple's latest iOS 7.1 update brought a welcome speed boost for the four-year-old iPhone 4, as well as new iBeacon handling that allows apps to search for signals even when closed.

iPhone 4
Source: ArsTechnica

When Apple launched iOS 7 in September, users of legacy handsets like the iPhone 4 experienced sluggish performance as the old hardware tried to keep pace with the advanced operating system.

As seen in the chart above, created by ArsTechnica, iPhone 4 users upgrading from iOS 6.1.3 to iOS 7 saw sluggish app launching and a significant hit to overall system performance. For example, the "zoom-in" animation seen when opening an app was noticeably jerky, as was pulling up Control Center.

After conducting a series of tests with the iPhone 4 running Apple's recently released iOS 7.1, the publication reports performance is greatly improved. Tweaks made on the backend now offer users of older hardware a smoother experience, while app launch and system startup times have been dramatically reduced.

Apple attempted to make iOS 7 as backwards compatible as possible, but the operating system's design is heavy on animations, transitions and other graphical flourishes built to take advantage of the latest A7 system-on-a-chip.

The company looked to solve some of the performance issues with iOS 7.0.3, but for iPhone 4 owners, the changes did not offer a substantial improvement.

iBeacon enhancements

In a separate report from BEEKn, iOS 7.1 brings new functionality to Apple's iBeacon protocol, opening the door for "always on" beacon tracking.

Apple Store
Apple's own Apple Store app was one of the first to support iBeacon integration.

Conducting various tests with iBeacon-compatible apps, the publication found iOS 7.1 allows software to search for beacon signals even after the app has been closed and the iPhone rebooted. Previously, apps would only receive iBeacon notifications when open or running in the background.

With the new implementation, once an iBeacon app is installed, it will constantly "look" for signals until a user opts out via the Location Services settings menu, turns off Bluetooth or deletes the app. What remains unclear, however, is how Apple plans to handle iBeacon spam, which can now be pushed to devices as long as a provider's app is installed.

Finally, the publication feels that Bluetooth LE is more responsive in iOS 7.1 as region changes, exits and beacon identification are now logged almost instantly. The findings have yet to be verified.
post #2 of 67
Couldn't they simply disable the animations on iOS 7.0 for the iPhone 4? Why first create a poor experience at launch while apparently they could have optimised the software as we see now. They should have known it was sluggish if they actually installed and used it prior to release 7.0

Or not release it for a 4 3 year old phone in the first place.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #3 of 67
ALSO, the brightness toggle in the slide up control panel has a new physics effect. Try swiping rapidly in either direction, and watch it bounce off the boundaries.
post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaiahmazin View Post

ALSO, the brightness toggle in the slide up control panel has a new physics effect. Try swiping rapidly in either direction, and watch it bounce off the boundaries.

Same for the audio control. Weird that my brightness was set to ≈ 10%. I thought I left it at ≈ 50%
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Weird that my brightness was set to ≈ 10%. I thought I left it at ≈ 50%

Daylight Saving?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Weird that my brightness was set to ≈ 10%. I thought I left it at ≈ 50%

Daylight Saving?

That is US for now; we change our clocks in three weeks time, the 30th. (for reasons beyond me)
post #7 of 67
Download failed due to software failure.
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg2000 View Post

Lucky you
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #9 of 67
Is it just me or does anyone else notice that IOS 7.1 is not an improvement at all, just a slightly less crappy version of 7.0 It still isnt an improvement over IOS 6. To be an improvement would mean its actually better than previous generations. But the real question is this, will you be able to charge your phone again without all the BS that so many people experienced the minute they upgraded to 7.0 and not get some lame explanation about lint in the charging port causing thousands iphones to Not be able to charge even with apple equipment....
We shall see.
post #10 of 67
I have no problem charging my iPhone and iPads in 7.0.x or 7.1 (so far).

iOS7 is better than iOS6 in many ways on newer hardware. But there are shortfalls in 7.0.x.

7.1 is actually pretty solid.

It takes some getting used to after using classical iOS for so long though.
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Lucky you
I had no problem with the over wifi download on my iPhone 4. Seems to work perfectly. I did have to free up some space on my phone to allow the download but have since put all the apps back on my phone.
post #12 of 67
I didn't have charging issues before. 7.0. Now with 7.1 the charging seems to go on-off-on-off randomly. iPhone 4S
Edit: There's no problem wen chargin from the mac though.
Edited by palegolas - 3/11/14 at 3:42am
post #13 of 67
Dramatic improvements, pft. What a fluff piece. Apple purposefully makes iOS7 slower on old devices, so that you'll *buy a new device*. They could *easily* switch off the animations (there's even a toggle in the settings to do just that, for those of us who find the animations motion sickness inducing) and it would be just as fast and snappy, but then why would you buy a new phone?
post #14 of 67
Originally Posted by coolfish View Post
Apple purposefully makes iOS7 slower on old devices, so that you'll *buy a new device*.

I think you're mistaken with your cynicism; it's easier for Apple to behave like most Android handset manufacturers by not making any effort to supply system updates for current and older models.

post #15 of 67

Originally Posted by mortyfink View Post

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that IOS 7.1 is not an improvement at all, just a slightly less crappy version of 7.0 It still isnt an improvement over IOS 6. To be an improvement would mean its actually better than previous generations.

It is just you.

I've found several features which iOS 7 offer, the control centre, AirDrop, the new features with Safari and iCloud, the blocking of nuisance calls and messages, to be of immediate practical benefit for me over iOS 6.

These features work reliably for me, my iPhone 5 works reliably, so, iOS 7 is a definite improvement over 6.

post #16 of 67
Quote:

Dramatic improvements, pft. What a fluff piece. Apple purposefully makes iOS7 slower on old devices, so that you'll *buy a new device*. They could *easily* switch off the animations (there's even a toggle in the settings to do just that, for those of us who find the animations motion sickness inducing) and it would be just as fast and snappy, but then why would you buy a new phone?

If that was really the case wouldn't they just make it slower for *all* devices on update instead of being stupid and actually make older devices run better?

According to you brilliant theory that would make Apple even more money right?

The iPhone 4 is close to *four* years old. The capacity of the hardware has more than doubled every year since then. At least it has decent (and instantly uppgradable) support for the latest OS version as opposed to 90% of the Android hardware out there.

I am currently running an iPhone 4 (on iOS 6) and as long as I keep over 1.5 GB free it runs just fine. I usually wait with upgrades until all kinks are worked out and then I'll update. And that usually works great for me. So I'm now looking forward to upgrading to 7.1 on it and am sure I will be happy with it until I get an iPhone 5c via work in a month or so...

post #17 of 67
Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that IOS 7.1 is not an improvement at all, just a slightly less crappy version of 7.0 It still isnt an improvement over IOS 6. To be an improvement would mean its actually better than previous generations. But the real question is this, will you be able to charge your phone again without all the BS that so many people experienced the minute they upgraded to 7.0 and not get some lame explanation about lint in the charging port causing thousands iphones to Not be able to charge even with apple equipment....
We shall see.

Odd first post. Haven't heard about that lint thing.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I didn't have charging issues before. 7.0. Now with 7.1 the charging seems to go on-off-on-off randomly. iPhone 4S
Edit: There's no problem wen chargin from the mac though.

Your charger?
post #19 of 67
Quote:

Here's a tin-foil hat, Sir.
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg2000 View Post

Me too. Took 2 hours to recover from backup at least. Quite a bummer.

The failure also had the side effect of losing my alarm to music settings. I have set three alarms, each to a different song. When I had to restore from backup, the restore fails to restore that association. It's a bug which Apple has failed to fix.
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonteponte View Post

I am currently running an iPhone 4 (on iOS 6) and as long as I keep over 1.5 GB free it runs just fine. I usually wait with upgrades until all kinks are worked out and then I'll update. And that usually works great for me. So I'm now looking forward to upgrading to 7.1 on it and am sure I will be happy with it until I get an iPhone 5c via work in a month or so...

Honestly, if you're getting a 5c in a month and you've come this far with iOS 6 on your iPhone 4 I'd stick it out using that OS and make a clean break when you get the 5c. An old grandparent who won't be a their party app user wouldn't appreciate an iPhone 4 running 6.0.3.
post #22 of 67

Hmmm  Let's see.  Apple elects not to include a particular device to be eligible for an upgrade for performance reasons and it gets criticized for forcing a user to upgrade or it allows the device to receive the upgrade that makes it slow and it gets criticized for purposely slowing it down to force an upgrade.  I get it, maybe Apple should follow Android's lead and set the expectation to be that the last upgrade you get is the one you get when you walk out of the store when you buy it.

post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Your charger?
I hope so.. But it's been working for all our devices for a long time. Perhaps it broke down right this instant.
post #24 of 67
Maybe I'm just to "simple" but iOS 7 has been an improvement for me. I have my iPad with iOS 5.x and i really miss the ease of use of some features. I miss the control center, miss the swipe back etc. and y don't mind the new look at all.
post #25 of 67
A bunch of whiners out in full force, I see.

Wonderful OS, wonderful update. Go with it and enjoy it, or switch. It's not like your whining is going to get you anywhere.
post #26 of 67
Quote:

We shall see.

It's just you.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #27 of 67
Quote:

That is US for now; we change our clocks in three weeks time, the 30th. (for reasons beyond me)

Maybe you'll be changing your clocks for iWatches. :)

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsu View Post

I have no problem charging my iPhone and iPads in 7.0.x or 7.1 (so far).

iOS7 is better than iOS6 in many ways on newer hardware. But there are shortfalls in 7.0.x.

7.1 is actually pretty solid.

It takes some getting used to after using classical iOS for so long though.

Bizarre post.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Maybe you'll be changing your clocks for iWatches. 1smile.gif

Without a need for it, I am watching this space. This time, any time, whenever Apple releases anything. No time like the present. Right on (time).

Sorry, can't get funny today. But times change.
post #30 of 67
Quote:

Goodbye.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #31 of 67
When iOS 7 was released, Apple dumped one of my favorite features of the Music app: the ability to browse through songs in other playlists while adding songs to another. This was available in iOS 6 and earlier, but iOS 7 only offered the ability to browse by song, artist, album, or--least useful of all--composer. I saw many complaints about this on forums, and I'm sure others submitted suggestions to Apple to restore the option of browsing playlists as I did. However, to add insult to injury, Apple DID update the playlist editing feature in iOS 7.1, but to add browsing songs by genre, not playlists. Yet, composer is still there. I like nearly everything else about iOS 7/7.1, but I no longer create playlists on my phone because it has become too difficult to do so, since now I have to search one at a time for songs by name or artist when previously I could just look at my Purchased list to find recent songs.
post #32 of 67
I personally very much appreciate all the new features, look and animations of iOS 7. But it did make my iPhone 4 sluggish. This performance upgrade is the best of both worlds and it feels like new life has been breathed into my good ol' iPhone, still chugging along as well as it ever did. From me, a big thumbs up for Apple for including me in their future. It virtually guarantees I will remain a faithful customer in my current status, making profit off me as I use my phone regularly with iTunes, the App Store, etc. and that I will be upgrading to a new Apple product in the future.
post #33 of 67

Best new feature is that 7.1 borks jailbreaking. Hopefully it will take a very long time, or never, to bypass it.

post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Best new feature is that 7.1 borks jailbreaking. Hopefully it will take a very long time, or never, to bypass it.

why?
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

why?

Because.

post #36 of 67

Abolish this nonsense.

Apple purposefully makes iOS7 slower on old devices, so that you'll *buy a new device*.

Either prove this or shut up and never say it again.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice that IOS 7.1 is not an improvement at all, just a slightly less crappy version of 7.0

Just you.

It still isnt an improvement over IOS 6. To be an improvement would mean its actually better than previous generations.

And it is. Problem solved.

But the real question is this, will you be able to charge your phone again without all the BS that so many people experienced the minute they upgraded to 7.0 and not get some lame explanation about lint in the charging port causing thousands iphones to Not be able to charge even with apple equipment....

What on Earth are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

why?

Because.

well expect to be dissapointed then. Jailbreaking will continue to your obvious dislike. Some people like it and thus their needs will be addressed by the jb community.
post #38 of 67
We at Mahana (www.getmahana.com) are looking forward to the speed improvements of iBeacon in 7.1 so that we can continue to simplify life for restaurant diners.

We have been working with iBeacon since October and find that the iBeacon lag in previous versions was the main reason we went to a 100ms broadcast rate. Maybe this will allow us to tune for less frequent broadcasts.
post #39 of 67

I'm glad that Apple put some focus on improving iPhone 4 performance, and I'm impressed they got that much improvement in the Messages app. But this is a great chart to show just how sluggish iPhone 4 performs on iOS 7.X to iOS 6.X.  Hopefully future 7.X iterations continue this trend.

post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Abolish this nonsense.

Hear hear! DST has become ridiculous as life has changed and we've become a 'round the clock civilisation'.

Thanks for that video!
They said lol in the 19th century?
I like how the depict Germany
Atari was technology?
$4 yearly saving?
NY, London... with the Sydney pic upside down - nice
Canada, but not in Saskatchewan. Right
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iOS 7.1 brings iPhone 4 speed enhancements, iBeacon improvements
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS 7.1 brings iPhone 4 speed enhancements, iBeacon improvements