or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Pacific Crest sees larger $299 iPhone increasing profits, ups Apple price target to $635
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pacific Crest sees larger $299 iPhone increasing profits, ups Apple price target to $635 - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Wow, you sure put him in his place. I don't think I would seek out financial advice on an Internet forum either, but I think what he said is very solid advice. By the sounds of your portfolio, however, you seem to be doing quite well. I don't think you need to worry about your retirement. But I did find your remarks about having a hissy fit quite odd. After reading all these comments, I would say you're the one having a hissy fit. As for your original statement, if there is anyone who's retirement is going to be adversely affected by the price of AAPL, they need to get some professional advice ASAP.

Professional advice would have suggested he sell half at $20. He's doing better than any professional advice on Apple would have given.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #42 of 67

It's increasingly apparent the 5C's substandard design was a deliberate choice to avoid cannibalizing the 5S. iPhone 6 must feature a larger screen or AAPL will plummet, that's what this analyst is betting. And I agree with him. As an Apple loyalist I'd be terribly disappointed if the iPhone 6 doesn't feature a larger screen. 

post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post


Wow, you sure put him in his place. I don't think I would seek out financial advice on an Internet forum either, but I think what he said is very solid advice. By the sounds of your portfolio, however, you seem to be doing quite well. I don't think you need to worry about your retirement. But I did find your remarks about having a hissy fit quite odd. After reading all these comments, I would say you're the one having a hissy fit. As for your original statement, if there is anyone who's retirement is going to be adversely affected by the price of AAPL, they need to get some professional advice ASAP.

My point is that he was arguing with me even though I basically agreed with him. The person he should have been arguing with was the original comment by TallestSkil . None of his advice was in the least bit even relevant to me since I am diversified he simply made some very erroneous assumptions instead of asking me, "Hey, do you own other stocks or investments besides Apple". 

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

Can you read? Who and what are you even arguing. I wasn't blaming analysts or manipulators. You should be arguing with Tallest Skil not me since he was the one that said that. And again I never said Apple was my only stock and you would be the last person I would ever ask for any financial or indeed any advice on anything since you seem to have a rage problem and also lack basic reading comprehension skills. I own stocks in over 50 companies and have many other investments like real estate and many others less risky than stocks. Next time you throw a hissy fit you might want to make sure you are venting your rage at the right person and also stop arguing with straw men since you sure seem to like to make a lot of assumptions. 

Um... calm down. Chill.

 

You say you weren't blaming manipulators, but you're the one that said, in Post #12 (I quote in bolded red, in case you're color-blind): "Millions of middle class Americans would suffer and those manipulators will always make money regardless what the price does, so the only people that would suffer would be common shareholders and Apple." What 'manipulators' were you referring to in your post?

 

Perhaps if you made the effort to express yourself a bit better, people are more likely to follow your thoughts.

 

As to 'rage problem/hissy fit,' well.... I'll let the readership decide.

 

(Added a para)

post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Hats off to you. Not just buying at the right time but not selling when the stock started to take off. I did the former but was greedy way before I needed to be and sold at $32 pre split. Biggest regret ever.

It was more luck and being a novice than anything else. I had only opened an Ameritrade account just over a year before I bought my first AAPL shares and really didn't know any better. Just glad I didn't sell as  my "expert" friends advised at the time. I also sold most at $700 and ended up buying even more shares when it dropped to around $520. Now that was a little shortsighted because I should have waited till below $500 but panic hit me since there was an upswing. It is pretty cool that my dividends buy all my Apple gear though. 

post #46 of 67
Anyway back on topic. I feel that Apple now sees the high end phone as a Giffen Good. Veblen Good. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good)

Which means creating a higher differential between it and the next level phone makes sense.
Edited by asdasd - 3/11/14 at 12:15pm
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #47 of 67

Samsung despite their advertising sells a good percentage of its phones to older users who need a larger screen due to their diminished eyesight.

 

Having a larger phone will help Apple sell to these users.  

 

Having a larger phone will also help Apple sell to the users who must have the latest thing in order to show off.  Once the big iPhone is out, it will become much more of a status symbol than the 5S with its mere silver ring that differentiates it from the iPhone 5.

 

I predict the latter (status item) will drive more sales than the former (users who truly insist on having a larger screen.

post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

Um... calm down. Chill.

 

You say you weren't blaming manipulators, but you're the one that said, in Post #12 (I quote in bolded red, in case you're color-blind): "Millions of middle class Americans would suffer and those manipulators will always make money regardless what the price does, so the only people that would suffer would be common shareholders and Apple." What 'manipulators' were you referring to in your post?

 

Perhaps if you made the effort to express yourself a bit better, people are more likely to follow your thoughts.

 

As to 'rage problem/hissy fit,' well.... I'll let the readership decide.

 

(Added a para)

You took that completely out of context since it was a reply. It was not meant to be taken out of context without the original quote which was "Good. Then Apple can buy up all the stock and keep these imbeciles away from their money. " And I stand by the fact that a meteoric drop in AAPL would hurt common people more than Wall Street financier types. Do you disagree with that? They have massive computers and algorithms to buy or sell in a millisecond that home investors do not have. Their triggers would sell before your average Joe even got home from work or looked at his stock app on his iPhone.  You are in fact the one that seems to lack the ability to cogently explain your reasoning and equally inept at choosing the correct person with whom you should be arguing. My name is not straw man nor Tallest Skill which appeared at least in this instance to be your adversaries. You also made a lot of very false assumptions about my investments without even asking me. 

 

You have hissy fits and pedantic fights with most people here on a daily basis. I am far from the first one to call you out.  I don't know exactly when it happens and it doesn't happen to all,  but it seems that once people's post count crosses the 10,000+ mark they seem to feel entitled that their opinions carry more weight or gravitas. It doesn't. 

post #49 of 67
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I am not gonna keep that 4s forever.

 

 

You know the 5 and 5S are larger, right?

 
I have wait yet another year to upgrade on bigger phone rumors that seems more serious this time. 

 

Just like those 2.5” iPhone rumors.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

You took that completely out of context since it was a reply. It was not meant to be taken out of context without the original quote which was "Good. Then Apple can buy up all the stock and keep these imbeciles away from their money. " And I stand by the fact that a meteoric drop in AAPL would hurt common people more than Wall Street financier types. Do you disagree with that? They have massive computers and algorithms to buy or sell in a millisecond that home investors do not have. Their triggers would sell before your average Joe even got home from work or looked at his stock app on his iPhone.  You are in fact the one that seems to lack the ability to cogently explain your reasoning and equally inept at choosing the correct person with whom you should be arguing. My name is not straw man nor Tallest Skill which appeared at least in this instance to be your adversaries. You also made a lot of very false assumptions about my investments without even asking me. 

 

You have hissy fits and pedantic fights with most people here on a daily basis. I am far from the first one to call you out.  I don't know exactly when it happens and it doesn't happen to all,  but it seems that once people's post count crosses the 10,000+ mark they seem to feel entitled that their opinions carry more weight or gravitas. It doesn't. 

 

I'll let the posts stand on their own. And stop arguing.

 

You have a point when you say in your signature (I am quoting): "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

post #51 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Good. Then Apple can buy up all the stock and keep these imbeciles away from their money. 

That doesn't do much for Apples long term investor who clearly are not imbeciles.
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

 

I'll let the posts stand on their own. And stop arguing.

 

You have a point when you say in your signature (I am quoting): "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I definitely should have followed my own advice before I ever bothered responding to you. Let your post stand but you were arguing with the wrong person about views I never held and also made many false assumptions about my retirement portfolio instead of simply asking. Nice deflecting instead of answering my previous post. 

post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I
But, in the article, i think they mean the bigger screen phone will sell at a $100 premium of the current 5s prices. So $299 w/contract indeed. imo thats is a huge mistake if true, rising the price of high-end phones in a declining market would be dumb beyond belief.

Which market? Phablets or premium smart phone?

[quote name="malax" url="/t/163480/pacific-crest-sees-larger-299-iphone-increasing-profits-ups-apple-price-target-to-635/30#post_2485224"  Given component prices, I expect that Apple can (and will) deliver a phone with a larger screen with more storage at either the same price or $100 less (while maintaining margins).
[/quote]
Not going to happen. Impossible, mathematically.
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I think Apple will increase the price for a 5" but only if they release a new 4". Let's call it the iPhone 6 and 6+.

I think it will be called the 6x and the 6xx.

 

"Tell me, does this iPhone make me look thinner?"

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

It was more luck and being a novice than anything else. I had only opened an Ameritrade account just over a year before I bought my first AAPL shares and really didn't know any better. Just glad I didn't sell as  my "expert" friends advised at the time. I also sold most at $700 and ended up buying even more shares when it dropped to around $520. Now that was a little shortsighted because I should have waited till below $500 but panic hit me since there was an upswing. It is pretty cool that my dividends buy all my Apple gear though.

Sounds like you got lucky twice then.  AAPL was only at $700 for a few days.  Well done.

post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not going to happen. Impossible, mathematically.

What's impossible?  A larger phone with more storage (e.g., 32 gig compared to 16) at the same price with the same margin?  I should have been more clear: at more or less the same margin that Apple has made on their iPhones (as opposed to the margin on an iPhone rolling off the current assembly line that's already taking advantage of dropping component prices).

 

There have been times, over the years, when Apple rolls out a model that is priced very competitively.  The MacBook Air was such as case, if I recall correctly.  The original PowerMac G3 was (but that's ancient history).  I just wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't do this with the next iPhone.  And I hope they do.  Then need a product like that now and then to counteract the conventional wisdom of an "Apple tax" or that Apple is only for people willing to pay extra for style.

post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

What's impossible?  A larger phone with more storage (e.g., 32 gig compared to 16) at the same price with the same margin?  I should have been more clear: at more or less the same margin that Apple has made on their iPhones (as opposed to the margin on an iPhone rolling off the current assembly line that's already taking advantage of dropping component prices).

There have been times, over the years, when Apple rolls out a model that is priced very competitively.  The MacBook Air was such as case, if I recall correctly.  The original PowerMac G3 was (but that's ancient history).  I just wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't do this with the next iPhone.  And I hope they do.  Then need a product like that now and then to counteract the conventional wisdom of an "Apple tax" or that Apple is only for people willing to pay extra for style.

Ok. To be at the same margins, it'll be a little more expensive. Maybe just $50 more but more likely $100. (End user price not cost of components)
post #58 of 67
If Apple has to increase the price of the iPhone in order to bring us a bigger screen I think that will be a mistake. Especially when high end Android devices aren't going up in price and are very competitive with iPhone (and in some cases have features that iPhone doesn't, like being waterproof/resistant). If Apple does that it will go against everything they say about not being obsessed with making money but making great products. There were rumors a while back that the iPad Air is selling a lot better than the mini. Now maybe that's because Apple was able to get the weight of the Air down to one pound, but it could also be because Apple increased the price of the retina mini to $399. I think Tim Cook and Jeff Williams need to anything and everything possible to keep the price of the iPhone the same.
post #59 of 67
I highly doubt they will if they do there wasting a lot of money doing that but I'm guessing they will leave the second iPhone the so called "budget" iPhone to 5 inch , an put the iPhone 6 to be at 5 inches but increase it , not to 6 inches or higher but under 6 inches
post #60 of 67
Originally Posted by shocker915 View Post
I highly doubt they will if they do there wasting a lot of money doing that but I'm guessing they will leave the second iPhone the so called "budget" iPhone to 5 inch , an put the iPhone 6 to be at 5 inches but increase it , not to 6 inches or higher but under 6 inches

 

Anything above 5” is unusable. Anything on the high end of 4” is unusable, too.

 

Keep the phone actually usable. If they want a larger device, I’ve never seen any argument against a larger iPod touch! 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

Samsung despite their advertising sells a good percentage of its phones to older users who need a larger screen due to their diminished eyesight.

 

Having a larger phone will help Apple sell to these users.  

 

Having a larger phone will also help Apple sell to the users who must have the latest thing in order to show off.  Once the big iPhone is out, it will become much more of a status symbol than the 5S with its mere silver ring that differentiates it from the iPhone 5.

 

I predict the latter (status item) will drive more sales than the former (users who truly insist on having a larger screen.

I have diminished eyesight and haven't seen any advantage to a large screen Android device. Most apps don't offer font size choices so most of the time the high resolution Android screen results in physically tiny print.. I find Android fonts generally hard to read even on large size, low res devices like the Galaxy S II. Maybe I just never found the settings to increase font size, but there's only so much you can do when you're borrowing someone else's phone.

post #62 of 67
I never believe anything that these analysts ever say. If they say it , it is always wrong. 1smoking.gif
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If Apple has to increase the price of the iPhone in order to bring us a bigger screen I think that will be a mistake. Especially when high end Android devices aren't going up in price and are very competitive with iPhone (and in some cases have features that iPhone doesn't, like being waterproof/resistant). If Apple does that it will go against everything they say about not being obsessed with making money but making great products. There were rumors a while back that the iPad Air is selling a lot better than the mini. Now maybe that's because Apple was able to get the weight of the Air down to one pound, but it could also be because Apple increased the price of the retina mini to $399. I think Tim Cook and Jeff Williams need to anything and everything possible to keep the price of the iPhone the same.

The SG Note is $100 more than the SG4. I hope Apple doesn't replace the 4" with a 5". If they keeps the 4", the 5" will not be the same price.
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
 
 

The SG Note is $100 more than the SG4. I hope Apple doesn't replace the 4" with a 5". If they keeps the 4", the 5" will not be the same price.

I just pray that hey keep the 3.5" screen.  Nothing bigger than that would fit into my pockets.

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

As for your original statement, if there is anyone who's retirement is going to be adversely affected by the price of AAPL, they need to get some professional advice ASAP.

While institutional ownership of Apple is at around a 5 year low at about 64%, this means that more individual investors now have comon shares. A large drop in the share price would absolutely hurt them. Small time individual investors are by far the most likely to sell in a panic if the stock takes a nose dive. Thus hurting their possible retirement, unless they were able to hold on long enough for the stock to recover or moved their money to other investments that could make up for this loss.

And then you have to understand that some of the largest holders of apple stock are State Street Bank, Fidelity Investors and Vanguard. Three of the largest mutual fund companies, where many billions (if not trillions) of dollars are being professionally managed for retirement funds. They will continue to make money from fees regardless, but if the stock price tanks as Tallest Skill suggests might be a good thing, then once again, it is the individual who has his money in these professionally run retirement funds who would be the most hurt.

If you have a 401 k through work or have opened a Roth IRA yourself and invested in a mutual fund it is very easy to find out the top holdings of your accounts. Any large cap fund will almost certainly have Apple stock in it. Many of them will have apple as a top 5 holding, if not top 2.

It is very simple. Suggesting that Apple stock should tank is not a good thing for anyone who holds it, especially individuals.
post #66 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDigger View Post


While institutional ownership of Apple is at around a 5 year low at about 64%, this means that more individual investors now have comon shares. A large drop in the share price would absolutely hurt them. Small time individual investors are by far the most likely to sell in a panic if the stock takes a nose dive. Thus hurting their possible retirement, unless they were able to hold on long enough for the stock to recover or moved their money to other investments that could make up for this loss.

And then you have to understand that some of the largest holders of apple stock are State Street Bank, Fidelity Investors and Vanguard. Three of the largest mutual fund companies, where many billions (if not trillions) of dollars are being professionally managed for retirement funds. They will continue to make money from fees regardless, but if the stock price tanks as Tallest Skill suggests might be a good thing, then once again, it is the individual who has his money in these professionally run retirement funds who would be the most hurt.

If you have a 401 k through work or have opened a Roth IRA yourself and invested in a mutual fund it is very easy to find out the top holdings of your accounts. Any large cap fund will almost certainly have Apple stock in it. Many of them will have apple as a top 5 holding, if not top 2.

It is very simple. Suggesting that Apple stock should tank is not a good thing for anyone who holds it, especially individuals.

Exactly. I said very much the same thing with less finesse and not as much detail. It is moronic for anyone purporting to be pro-Apple to say a huge drop in share price would be good for either Apple or individual investors. Finaciers, fund managers, analysts, etc.. will always make their money whether through fees for management, short sell or options. It is the little guy that always get shafted when stocks in a company like Apple plunges. 

post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post
 

I just pray that hey keep the 3.5" screen.  Nothing bigger than that would fit into my pockets.

 

Pants are cheaper than phones!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Pacific Crest sees larger $299 iPhone increasing profits, ups Apple price target to $635