or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of iOS 7.1 hits 6% in North America after 24 hours in the wild

Adoption of iOS 7.1 hits 6% in North America after 24 hours in the wild

post #1 of 36
After being available for a little over one day, Apple's iOS 7.1 update is now running on some 5.9 percent of operating devices, an adoption rate comparable to the company's previous iOS 7.0.6 release.

Chitika
Source: Chitika

A report from the analytics arm of ad network Chitika published on Tuesday finds Apple's latest release is on the same track as prior iOS point updates, accounting for 5.9 percent of total North American iOS Web traffic over the past 24 hours.

For the purposes of the study, Chitika Insights looked at tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian online ad impressions originating from iOS devices from Mar. 9 through Mar. 11.

Apple's latest iOS 7.1 was released on Monday, bringing with it a host of feature additions, bug fixes and tweaks. Headline functions include CarPlay, Apple's initiative to take over automobile entertainment systems, and user interface tweaks more in line with the spartan iOS 7 aesthetic.

As first reported by AppleInsider, iOS 7.1 incorporates Touch ID enhancements to remedy a so-called "fade" issue where the system would slowly forget a user's fingerprint data.

Apple also addressed a widespread bug that saw many users suffering from intermittent crashes. The problem occurred while using various apps, including Apple's first-party titles like Mail, and would cause the device to reboot.

Finally, a number of UI tweaks were added to Apple's mobile OS, including a calendar month view, new keyboard typography and faster animations.

On a macro level, Chitika found OS 7 users to account for more than 80 percent of iOS Web traffic over the three-day timespan of this study, a number unchanged since the end of February.
post #2 of 36
I imagine this update will be slower than and plateau faster than 7.0.6 in the coming days because of the requirement for 2.5GiB of free space needed to complete this update.

PS: I'm going to say the next iPhone will get a doubling of capacity so that 32GB is the starting point.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #3 of 36
Updated my iPad Air last night and Safari hasn't crashed once since. Even when I'm on this site, which used to crash like crazy. I still have tab reloads though not as much as before 7.1. But to be fair, those existed in iOS 6 so it wasn't anything new to iOS 7 (I do wish Apple would do something about it though).q

Btw, Mixpanel has iOS 7 adoption now at 88%. Quite amazing for software that some claim is the worst piece of garbage Apple ever released.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0
post #4 of 36

I actually couldn't update yesterday. It was telling me it was unavailable, to try later. If there was others like me, I'm sure that it impacted those numbers negatively.

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I imagine this update will be slower than and plateau faster than 7.0.6 in the coming days because of the requirement for 2.5GiB of free space needed to complete this update.

PS: I'm going to say the next iPhone will get a doubling of capacity so that 32GB is the starting point.

You may be right but for the wrong reasons.  Most folks don't know or care about 7.1 because they're either on iOS6 and haven't still noticed the update, or they're on 7 and don't find it needs fixing.  

Also there isn't the "new candy" promotion of a .0 release that brings all the neophiliacs rushing in.

post #6 of 36
This update is absolutely fantastic. My 5S is SMOKIN fast now. Coworker's iPhone 4 is like brand new now. Very needed update. Thumbs up apple
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

You may be right but for the wrong reasons.  Most folks don't know or care about 7.1 because they're either on iOS6 and haven't still noticed the update, or they're on 7 and don't find it needs fixing.  

Also there isn't the "new candy" promotion of a .0 release that brings all the neophiliacs rushing in.

But there are a lot more new features compared to 7.0.6 to which I made my comparison.

post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I actually couldn't update yesterday. It was telling me it was unavailable, to try later. If there was others like me, I'm sure that it impacted those numbers negatively.

still can't get my iPad2 to update OTA.   my 4s went well using iTunes download.

post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmb0037 View Post

This update is absolutely fantastic. My 5S is SMOKIN fast now. Coworker's iPhone 4 is like brand new now. Very needed update. Thumbs up apple

brand new may be a bit hyperbole, but my 4s is snappier.  Haven't put it through it's paces.

I have noted that google mail downloads are slow today... however, I think that's on google's (or some MiTM) side.

post #10 of 36
There are two noticeable dips in the plotted curve. However, it is inconceivable that the number of iOS adoptions actually declined to create the dips.

The chart is not measuring adoption rate, it is measuring some obscure metric dealing with ad impressions, which is documented in the text of the article.

The title of the article is bogus. We do not know what the adoption rate is doing based on this data.
post #11 of 36
How does share of web traffic turn into number of devices?
post #12 of 36

I am really liking 7.1. For the first time since the week the iPhone 5S went on sale, Touch ID works. It used to work only about 1/4 of the time. I had completely stopped using it. Now it works every time, using the same old, stored fingerprint data. Thank you Apple.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #13 of 36

I'd sure like to know how these ad/marketing companies get this information. Maybe a hole Apple needs to plug?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 36
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I'd sure like to know how these ad/marketing companies get this information. Maybe a hole Apple needs to plug?

OS version is part of every browser string visible to a site owner whenever you visit any website.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OS version is part of every browser string visible to a site owner whenever you visit any website.

And if we work together we can finally eliminate these browser strings! ;)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 36

And if we work together we can finally eliminate these browser strings! ;)

If everyone’s using Safari, why would it need to report that! ;)

post #17 of 36
Quote:

And if we work together we can finally eliminate these browser strings! 1wink.gif

You should start a User Agent movement.
Code:
We Are Anonymous

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/11/14 at 5:35pm

post #18 of 36

Yep, my 4S is smokin' also.  I'm loving this upgrade even more than 7.0.

The download took maybe 5 mins over wifi, then another 10 or so to process.

I do find it interesting that the very first animation renderings were the tiniest bit jittery (nothing like an Android, though).  But after those initial bits, it was all rearview.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

Quality isn't expensive... it's priceless.

post #19 of 36
Quote:

That would depend on how many people exclusively rely on OTA updates, since that free space requirement doesn't affect those who update via iTunes. 

With 7.1, I think the demand for this update will be far greater than for prior 7.0.X updates simply because it promises to address a broader range of bugs and performance-related issues than those other updates.  The 2.5 GB requirement for an OTA update (on our iPad mini, the free space needed was 1.9 GB) might put off some upgrades for a while.  But, for anyone that might be experiencing screen lag and crashes using 7.0.X, or just looking for smoother and more reliable performance in general, they'll figure out a way to accommodate -- whether clearing out space on their device or using iTunes to do the installation. 

After installing 7.0.4, my iPhone 5s has not had the stability issues that others purportedly continued to experience.  But, in my experience so far, iOS 7.1 is a very noticeable improvement all the way around (except for battery life), and that seems to be the consensus among people who've installed it.  I think word will get around in short order that iOS 7.1 is a no-brainer update. 

post #20 of 36
Quote:

Last two phones I bought were 32GB.  I think from now on I'll be going for the 64GB or better if available.  Apps (books) for the kids take up a tremendous amount of space.  Seems like I'm always moving things around to update, etc.

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

brand new may be a bit hyperbole, but my 4s is snappier.  Haven't put it through it's paces.

I have noted that google mail downloads are slow today... however, I think that's on google's (or some MiTM) side.

Hey, keep me posted on how your 4S performs. I have given mine to my mother and it is still on iOS 6. I'll update it to 7.1 over the weekend.

post #22 of 36
Quote:

So even though the delta was only 265MB or so, it still needs 2.5 GiB to install? I installed it on 3 devices last night. The download itself said 265MB, but it took a pretty long time to install.

Of course, all 3 devices had more than 3 GB of free space, so maybe that's why I didn't encounter any hiccups.

Quote:

Amen! The day a 128GB iPhone releases will be the day I retire my 160GB iPod Classic.

post #23 of 36
Does anyone but me think that the over 2 GB required for this update is extreme? Yikes. That much is needed for a few improvements? It's getting dangerously close to the amount of memory Samsung devices need!
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Does anyone but me think that the over 2 GB required for this update is extreme? Yikes. That much is needed for a few improvements? It's getting dangerously close to the amount of memory Samsung devices need!

That's not how much was changed in the OS. The 2.5GiB was for the system to complete it's shuffle of switching out the new and old code. 256MiB was the DL for the 5S, which would uncompress to probably about 500MiB. I'd have expected about 1GiB to be needed for the install to occur so I'm certainly confused by the 2.5GiB requirement, but the entire OS, not just the files being changed, certainly isn't taking up over 2GiB.

post #25 of 36
Quote:

That's not how much was changed in the OS. The 2.5GiB was for the system to complete it's shuffle of switching out the new and old code. 256MiB was the DL for the 5S, which would uncompress to probably about 500MiB. I'd have expected about 1GiB to be needed for the install to occur so I'm certainly confused by the 2.5GiB requirement, but the entire OS, not just the files being changed, certainly isn't taking up over 2GiB.

The full installation package is 1.44GB for the iPhone 5s, so it could very well clock in at over 2GB after uncompressing. I would assume that the delta installation duplicates several of the existing files and will only overwrite after verification. Would that extra space be held just in case something goes awry during the installation?
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

The full installation package is 1.44GB for the iPhone 5s, so it could very well clock in at over 2GB after uncompressing. I would assume that the delta installation duplicates several of the existing files and will only overwrite after verification. Would that extra space be held just in case something goes awry during the installation?

The space is definitely given back after the installation. I'll see if I can restore an iPhone to factory tomorrow to see how much storage is remaining and then subtract from the marketed space after converting to BASE-2.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Yep, my 4S is smokin' also.  I'm loving this upgrade even more than 7.0.

The download took maybe 5 mins over wifi, then another 10 or so to process.

I do find it interesting that the very first animation renderings were the tiniest bit jittery (nothing like an Android, though).  But after those initial bits, it was all rearview.

I made the same observation when upgrading my iPhone 4 yesterday. On first run after upgrade it was really slow for a minute or two when opening apps and moving around (which made me a bit worried). After that it has actually been snappier than my 6.1.3 install. The only thing that is slower (so far) is starting apps and possibly loading heavy websites in Safari. And no crashes so far. I'm happy!

post #28 of 36
You actually get back much more storage than before, I cleared out 1.8GB before installation (photo stream had filled up my phone from my iPad) and after I had 2.3GB, I think that the update clears out a lot of cached information. the yellow 'Other' bar on itunes should be much shorter.
post #29 of 36

Apple has finally released the software that they should have sent out back in September.

The Great Beta is over.  Hopefully the refinements to the UI makes it easier to use.

post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Apple has finally released the software that they should have sent out back in September.

The Great Beta is over.  Hopefully the refinements to the UI makes it easier to use.
I didn't know it was hard to use. 1confused.gif
Oh and Windows 8.1 is what Windows 8 should have been. 2nd gen iPad is what the 1st gen should have been, 4th gen iPad is what the 3rd gen should have been, first iPhone was a dud etc.
post #31 of 36

Now that I've got 7.1 installed on my iPhone 5, I immediately noticed an increase in speed. I also appreciate the revised Calendar and other UI tweaks which have made it somewhat easier on my aging eyes.

My only gripe is that it requires one to connect to a WiFi interweb source to install the update, which is a bit of a chore for me, since my iPhone *IS* my source of interweb.  Still, that was not too hard to get around. Thanks, Apple, for the nice--free--update!

post #32 of 36
Yay!
They fixed the music scrolling from the lock screen!
The scroll bar is a tad wider, and now my finger can grab hold if its not directly (exactly) on top... and the lock screen doesn't slide like before...

That was my biggest complaint!

(it also used to revert to a previous point in the song, everytime I opened it... haven't experienced it yet, but give it time)
post #33 of 36

I'm enjoying the update. One thing I've just noticed, which I'm not liking, is when you have the reduced motion setting to on, it stops the dynamic weather app. There is no more moving clouds, rain, etc. I don't get why Apple would change that. I prefer the reduced motion on but still have the dynamic weather. 

post #34 of 36
I thought I remember reading on a blog just before the release of 7.0 that the weather app was going to have an update for live temps in the icon. Am I dreaming?
post #35 of 36
I updated my 4s and I am now experiencing trouble with the keyboard. It lags a lot when I type. Anyone else has this problem?
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I thought I remember reading on a blog just before the release of 7.0 that the weather app was going to have an update for live temps in the icon. Am I dreaming?

Have you checked your totem lately? (e.g., is the top still spinning?) Do you really *want* reality?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of iOS 7.1 hits 6% in North America after 24 hours in the wild