or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple gets official green light to build San Francisco flagship store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple gets official green light to build San Francisco flagship store

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
The San Francisco Planning Commission and the city's Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to green-light amendments to Apple's revised plans for the company's upcoming San Francisco flagship retail location.

Apple Store


Today's vote on amendments of Apple's Union Square Apple Store plans is the final operational step in obtaining a go ahead for construction and comes less than one week after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors signed off on a planning code variance. The news was first relayed by Re/Code.

"We are thrilled that the city of San Francisco has given its final approval to begin work on our new store and public plaza, which will make a wonderful addition to Union Square and create hundreds of local jobs," said Apple spokeswoman Amy Bessette. "Our Stockton Street store has been incredibly popular, welcoming over 13 million customers since it opened nine years ago, and we look forward to making a new home on Union Square."

Apple's new SF flagship will be located on the corner of Post and Stockton, directly across from Union Square. Architectural renderings of the building show an all-new design theme that builds on current Apple Stores' "open" feel.

As seen in the latest plans, the main attraction will be a two story-tall glass facade facing Union Square. Integrated into the six-panel design are two 44-foot-tall steel-framed sliding glass doors.

Along the approval process, Apple's project has seen a number of slight alterations since being announced in 2013. For example, a small controversy forced alterations when it was discovered that Apple's original plans called for the apparent removal of a fountain designed by local artist Ruth Asawa.

While Apple has yet to announce an official start date for construction, the publication cited sources who suggest the project will begin this summer.
post #2 of 30
Coulda been better if they opened up the side. Do they have underground parking?underground parking
post #3 of 30
There is a lot of parking nearby. Underground across the street under Union Square, and a large structure a block away (Stockton Sutter). This is a heavy retail area, and many locals use public transportation.
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

The store really captures the essence of San Francisco.  I just wish that they could get rid of that ugly fountain.  Nobody likes it except filthy homeless people.

SF welcomes the homeless.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post
 

The store really captures the essence of San Francisco.  I just wish that they could get rid of that ugly fountain.  Nobody likes it except filthy homeless people.

 

You have it in for homeless people?

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 30
Homeless people don't have a lot in life. If they like the fountain, that's a good reason to keep the fountain.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #7 of 30
Simple question - Do all retailers in San Francisco or any other city go through such scrutiny or even gets discussed on Blogosphere? I can point to many other ugly retailers in the same neighborhood, which I doubt went through such intense approval process. We all should realize that Apple is way too much into aesthetics and it is ingrained in their blood to do anything otherwise.
post #8 of 30
Amazing store, an engineering marvel; I can't wait to go to the outer edge of the second story overhang and jump up and down 1smile.gif

On the subject of the homeless people, the majority fit into two categories: 1) Drug addicts that are enabled to maintain their addiction lifestyle by ineffective, mindlessly liberal policies and a permissive culture. 2) Mentally ill individuals also enabled by the same permissive culture that falsely conflates civil libertiy with beneficence. Disorganized schizophrenics need institutional psychiatric care, not a sandwich and some cash to hold them over between dumpster dives (meanwhile, the people that make the ineffectual laws are loathe to eat anything that isn't 100% certified organic). Seems like a strange place to me. That said, I still love visiting SF.

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #9 of 30

Wow, MacRumors has really gone downhill. Just read the comments on a post about the exact same topic:

 

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1715502

 

The comment string is a complete train wreck. Not sure if there's anyone there over fifteen years old anymore. It's like Slashdot circa 2004.

post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post
 

The store really captures the essence of San Francisco.  I just wish that they could get rid of that ugly fountain.  Nobody likes it except filthy homeless people.


That's a little offensive don't you think?

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Amazing store, an engineering marvel; I can't wait to go to the outer edge of the second story overhang and jump up and down 1smile.gif

On the subject of the homeless people, the majority fit into two categories: 1) Drug addicts that are enabled to maintain their addiction lifestyle by ineffective, mindlessly liberal policies and a permissive culture. 2) Mentally ill individuals also enabled by the same permissive culture that falsely conflates civil libertiy with beneficence. Disorganized schizophrenics need institutional psychiatric care, not a sandwich and some cash to hold them over between dumpster dives (meanwhile, the people that make the ineffectual laws are loathe to eat anything that isn't 100% certified organic). Seems like a strange place to me. That said, I still love visiting SF.

California once had state mental institutions, until noted liberal governor Ronald Reagan closed them down because of the amount of taxes required to maintain them.
post #12 of 30

I can't quite see the point of having 44' tall sliding doors.  It just seem a bit excessive in height.  Are these doors automatic sliding doors that activate when someone approaches?  Which so much area, I would think the ambient temperature of the store would constantly be changing depending up the outside temperatures.  I could see if at least the store had inner and outer doors as a temperature buffer.  Whatever.  It seems like form over function but that's not for me to decide.  I like the way the store looks and I'm sure it will cost a small fortune to build, but as long as Apple is keeping its earnings for itself, they might as well make good use of it.  A nice monument to their own internal wealth.

post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Simple question - Do all retailers in San Francisco or any other city go through such scrutiny or even gets discussed on Blogosphere? I can point to many other ugly retailers in the same neighborhood, which I doubt went through such intense approval process. We all should realize that Apple is way too much into aesthetics and it is ingrained in their blood to do anything otherwise.
Yes they do! San Francisco likes to think of itsefl as being very progressive, but I guess the Planning Comission didn't get that e-mail.

A notorious case a few years ago was when Prada wanted to build a store (very close to where this new Apple store will be) designed by the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas and it was vetoed.
post #14 of 30
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
I can't quite see the point of having 44' tall sliding doors.


I can.

 

You see, now Samsung is going to build a store with 100’ tall sliding doors, but it will all go horribly wrong and they’ll collapse, crushing everyone.

 

It’s the perfect plan.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
 


That's a little offensive don't you think?

 

I'm sure the fountain doesn't care.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post
 

The store really captures the essence of San Francisco.  I just wish that they could get rid of that ugly fountain.  Nobody likes it except filthy homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post


California once had state mental institutions, until noted liberal governor Ronald Reagan closed them down because of the amount of taxes required to maintain them.

 

You do realize that even if this is the 100% truth (governors only sign the laws that the legislation passes) he was last governor in 1972?  How long now has California been run by liberal moon bats?  Are you saying they've been that incompetent for the last 42 years?

 

The real reason why many of the people with mental issues are on the streets now is because of costs, no one (state or federal) can afford it with all the other social programs, so its easy to kick them out on the street.  Who's going to complain?  Not them for sure.  The nice political cover is to have groups like the ACLU come in and say it is inhumane to keep the mentally ill in special hospitals.

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post
 

You do realize that even if this is the 100% truth (governors only sign the laws that the legislation passes) he was last governor in 1972?  How long now has California been run by liberal moon bats?  Are you saying they've been that incompetent for the last 42 years?

Since 1975 (Reagan's final year, not 1972) California has had a Republican Governor for over 60% of the time - 24 years compared to 15 Dem.

 

Though, to your argument's favour, the state legislature has been Dem for almost the whole run.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #17 of 30
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Since 1975 (Reagan's final year, not 1972) California has had a Republican Governor for over 60% of the time - 24 years compared to 15 Dem.

 

Though, to your argument's favour, the state legislature has been Dem for almost the whole run.

 

You’ve heard of RINOs and DINOs, right?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #18 of 30
Sure, but that's a bit of a cop out answer, effectively a "no true Scotsman" argument. Plus, of the Republican governors it was only really Schwarzenegger that leant much to the left, and even then mostly in his second term iirc.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #19 of 30
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Sure, but that's a bit of a cop out answer, effectively a "no true Scotsman" argument.

 

Not… at all. In fact, it’s inherently the opposite. :???: 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
 

Since 1975 (Reagan's final year, not 1972) California has had a Republican Governor for over 60% of the time - 24 years compared to 15 Dem.

 

Though, to your argument's favour, the state legislature has been Dem for almost the whole run.

Sorry, not sure what I was thinking on the year.  Only had one cup of coffee this morning...  ;-)

Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #21 of 30

"They're not really Republicans, they're RINOs because of [cherry-picked policy disagreement]"

 

That's pretty NTS.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

California once had state mental institutions, until noted liberal governor Ronald Reagan closed them down because of the amount of taxes required to maintain them.

I'm not sure what your point is. I know it's popular to use Regan as some sort of boogeyman, but democrats were equally complicit in supporting the shutdown as they felt (falsely) that the mentally ill were better off with "liberty" than proper care. That's the problem with idealism, it gets in the way of reality.

   

Reply

   

Reply
post #23 of 30

Union square already has parking lot.

post #24 of 30
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
"They're not really Republicans, they're RINOs because of [cherry-picked policy disagreement]"

 

I don’t see how explicitly not behaving how a party behaves is a cherry-picked argument in the slightest.

 

“I’m pro-life, for diminished gun control, and for deportation of all persons in this country illegally, but I am a Democrat.” 

Do you somehow think that flies?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #25 of 30

Now I'm confused.  Are you saying that Reagan would or would not have shopped at this store?

post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t see how explicitly not behaving how a party behaves is a cherry-picked argument in the slightest.

“I’m pro-life, for diminished gun control, and for deportation of all persons in this country illegally, but I am a Democrat.” 


Do you somehow think that flies?
Yes, because that's three policies out of many. The idea that Democrat and Republican is a binary equation is a false one, everyone exists on a spectrum, and both R and D occupy a wide chunk of that spectrum. Having these accusations of RINO and DINO against those who have different views on a handful of policies is just levying a NTS argument against Republicans and Democrats who don't agree with you on absolutely everything.

That fact that the Republican party is so split right now, and the Democrat party has had huge amounts of infighting over the last few decades is symptomatic of this. Both parties occupy a wide political range.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #27 of 30
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Yes, because that's three policies out of many.

 

Come off it.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #28 of 30
Let's just agree to disagree then.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #29 of 30

Okay, regarding the doors... what if they have a very particular purpose, being to grant very large exhibits access to the display floor, motor vehicles for example. Not vehicles manufactured by Apple but by a close partner and which feature CarPlay (and perhaps other iOS features)? Suppose in some states Apple took up a vehicle dealer's license, the stores would make quite interesting showcases.

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Reply
post #30 of 30
I'm thinking more that the doors have a purpose in keeping the store comfortable. When it's a sunny day in SF, that store will get very hot. Opening the doors would be a good way to keep it bearable without depending on air conditioning. Of course open doors require added security . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple gets official green light to build San Francisco flagship store