or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Latest Apple TV 6.1 update enables AirPlay device discovery over Bluetooth

Latest Apple TV 6.1 update enables AirPlay device discovery over Bluetooth

post #1 of 36
According to a recent report, Apples latest Apple TV software update enables devices running iOS 7.1 to conduct AirPlay sessions via a Bluetooth connection, doing away with the need for a Bonjour setup.

Apple TV

The new functionality, reported by Derick Okihara writing for Apple IT website AFP548.com, allows Apple TVs running the latest Apple TV 6.1 software to scan for AirPlay-compatible sources over Bluetooth. Prior to the change, Apple TV relied on Bonjour to find and connect to AirPlay devices.

It appears that users must also be using the latest iOS 7.1 update to take advantage of the Bluetooth-based identification. As noted in the report, an iPad running iOS 7.1 was able to connect with an Apple TV running 6.1 when connected to the same subnet address, despite the VLAN not being having Bonjour enabled.

Okihara found that a Mac running OS X 10.9.2 could not "see" the Apple TV as a viable source, though he suspects the capability may be included in a future update.

The new functionality, which further streamlines the "no setup required" AirPlay protocol, is likely a boon for corporate and education system administrators.

The latest Apple TV software was released on Monday alongside iOS 7.1. At the time, Apple TV 6.1's headline feature was an easier method of hiding unwanted channels from the set-top streamer's user interface.
post #2 of 36
About time! Now bring this to OS X. Hopefully Reflector App will be able to use it.
post #3 of 36
Wireless carplay anyone ? 1wink.gif
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

About time! Now bring this to OS X. Hopefully Reflector App will be able to use it.

I'll install 10.9.3b2 when it arrives (probably next week), then check to see if exists.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

Wireless carplay anyone ? 1wink.gif

Could be a way to test it in the field, so to speak.
post #6 of 36
Does this mean I could AirPlay from anniphone to an ATV in a room without wifi?
post #7 of 36

I don't understand this.  Presumably it's to do with Home Sharing, as that's the only time the Apple TV scans for sources, but it clearly doesn't means Home Sharing transmission of content over Bluetooth, so what does using Bluetooth instead of Bonjour over wi-fi achieve?  

Every Mac I've owned or used in the past 10 years had Bonjour set up and ready to go straight out of the box, and I believe Bonjour gets installed automatically with iTunes for Windows; so what's the advantage?

censored

censored

post #8 of 36
Bonjour uses broadcast packets to announce services. This will not work across segments of a complex network unless specifically enabled by IT.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

Bonjour uses broadcast packets to announce services. This will not work across segments of a complex network unless specifically enabled by IT.

You lost me. What does IT have to do with a BT connection between an iDevice and Apple TV?

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You lost me. What does IT have to do with a BT connection between an iDevice and Apple TV?

I think that he was explaining why BT is a great option for discovery, because Bonjour is sometimes not available on complicated networks.  It is an answer to the previous post (Crowley's) without quoting him.

Thompson

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I think that he was explaining why BT is a great option for discovery, because Bonjour is sometimes not available on complicated networks.  It is an answer to the previous post (Crowley's) without quoting him.

Thompson

Ah, the 'this' is for Bonjour, not for the BT mentioned in the article. I hate when people don't quote! Don't they know there can be dozens of conversations in a thread?

PS: I'm glad this has been added but I'm still waiting for the ad-hoc network connection that doesn't require going through a router. This will be a great advantage for classrooms and boardrooms.

post #12 of 36
@SolipsismX I simply used "this" to refer to the subject of my previous sentence. I'd say I hate it when people don't read or think before posting, but it's really not that big a deal. 1smile.gif

The ad-hoc wifi idea should work without disconnecting from the WLAN because Apple devices have two wifi adapters now, right? I think that's how AirDrop works. Come to think of it, AirDrop uses BT to authenticate the wifi connection...
post #13 of 36
Quote:

@SolipsismX I simply used "this" to refer to the subject of my previous sentence. I'd say I hate it when people don't read or think before posting, but it's really not that big a deal. 1smile.gif

1) Touche!

2) Yet another example of how ambiguous and vague pronouns can hinder communication.

post #14 of 36
Bonjour is a multicast based protocol. Multicast doesn't propagate across Layer 3 boundaries without special configuration in routers. In your house, every device is on the same subnet, so there no benefit to not using Bonjour for the discovery of Airplay compatible devices. In corporate networks, there may be a layer 3 boundary between an Apple TV's network and the iOS device. So, the Airplay device discovery based on the physical proximity rather than on multicast is beneficial. What I don't understand is the requirement that the two devices must be on the same subnet. Once the two devices have discovered each other, the media streaming should be a unicast and easily traverse Layer 3 boundaries.

Something got lost in translation somewhere.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Touche!

2) Yet another example of how ambiguous and vague pronouns can hinder communication.

funkfeend used correct English, he really doesn't need to apologize.

"My dad ate a chocolate bar. He likes candy." The pronoun "he" refers to "my dad."

While one must use context, the pronoun's relationship to the previous sentence's subject would be the logical choice, especially because both sentences are in the same paragraph.

This is like second grade English, people. This isn't about "ambiguous and vague pronouns," this is about basic reading comprehension.

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

funkfeend used correct English, he really doesn't need to apologize.

"My dad ate a chocolate bar. He likes candy." The pronoun "he" refers to "my dad."

While one must use context, the pronoun's relationship to the previous sentence's subject would be the logical choice, especially because both sentences are in the same paragraph.

This is like second grade English, people. This isn't about "ambiguous and vague pronouns," this is about basic reading comprehension.

I neither implied nor expected him to apologize. I thought my reply clearly expressed that but if it didn't then you must then admit that terms seemingly clearly stated by the writer can be ambiguous or vague to the reader. You should consider that this chat forum isn't the same as the picture books you read in your second grade class insofar as there is a primary article and many discussions being had within the same thread.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/12/14 at 9:53pm

post #17 of 36
Sure, whatever.

Good luck.

Of course, I'm talking to mpantone, right?

1biggrin.gif
post #18 of 36
It's really not that big a deal. I must have read about a zillion of Solip's posts over the years and he contributes greatly to the quality of these forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

What I don't understand is the requirement that the two devices must be on the same subnet. Once the two devices have discovered each other, the media streaming should be a unicast and easily traverse Layer 3 boundaries.

Something got lost in translation somewhere.

Yeah, I've found that tech journalists can't be trusted with details like these. While it is possible that the subnet did not allow for multicast, he probably meant the two devices were not on the same subnet/VLAN.
post #19 of 36

It is time already. I personally have been enjoying the use of Airplay with an app called Celluloid. It made my search for content so much easier when using Apple Tv

post #20 of 36
Why Apple doesn't enable Airplaying audio to iOS devices is beyond me. I need to be able to use an iOS device to receive audio from an Apple TV so that we can watch a show after my child goes to sleep without a risk of waking him up. I had to jailbreak my iPad in order to install Airfloat from Cydia. It works like a charm even when the iPad screen goes black and the iPad locks. I have a headphone splitter made by Belkin that I plug into the iPad, and both my wife and I can watch Apple TV at night with each having our own headphones playing audio from the Apple TV. This is such a basic functionality that I don't understand why Apple disallows this. Additionally, it would be great if Apple allowed Bluetooth audio streaming from Apple TV. That way, we could just use Bluetooth headphones for this purpose. Either feature would make the Apple TV infinitely more valuable and ahead of its competition and would require almost no effort on Apple's part.
Edited by sirozha - 3/13/14 at 3:16am
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I don't understand this.  Presumably it's to do with Home Sharing, as that's the only time the Apple TV scans for sources, but it clearly doesn't means Home Sharing transmission of content over Bluetooth, so what does using Bluetooth instead of Bonjour over wi-fi achieve?  

Every Mac I've owned or used in the past 10 years had Bonjour set up and ready to go straight out of the box, and I believe Bonjour gets installed automatically with iTunes for Windows; so what's the advantage?

A little late, but isn't the Bluetooth part just the handshake?
post #22 of 36
If Bluetooth is not turned on than who cares?
I never turn it on except for my mouse. Is BT auto turned on ATVs?

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #23 of 36
Quote:

I see, thanks. So this particular feature will mainly be for the benefit of businesses using Apple TV for presentations and the like, and maybe a few with highly unusually complicated home wireless systems?

censored

censored

post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I believe it is on by default. It is how I set up my new Apple TV out of the box.
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I believe it is on by default. It is how I set up my new Apple TV out of the box.

You are correct for those with a 3rd gen Apple TV and a device running iOS 7.0 or later.

post #26 of 36

Sadly, the 2nd generation ATV doesn't support BT 4.0, so I wasn't able to test this myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

IMO, a BT keyboard makes using the ATV interface far less frustrating.  Almost Apple-like...  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Quote:

I see, thanks. So this particular feature will mainly be for the benefit of businesses using Apple TV for presentations and the like, and maybe a few with highly unusually complicated home wireless systems?

Yes.  The guy at who wrote the original article at afp548.com is an educator who manages his school's network part-time.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

IMO, a BT keyboard makes using the ATV interface far less frustrating.

At this point I'd wait for the 4th generation Apple TV but you can sell your 2nd gen for about twice as much as it originally cost since it's still jailbreakable.

post #28 of 36
Quote:

At this point I'd wait for the 4th generation Apple TV but you can sell your 2nd gen for about twice as much as it originally cost since it's still jailbreakable.

I should have bought a 3rd generation ATV with the $25 rebate last week.

Shoulda...  Coulda...  Woulda...

post #29 of 36
Quote:

I can vouch for this. Sold my Apple TV 2, which I bought from the Apple Store the day it first came out, this past weekend, for $217. I set a reserve of $89 and literally within 5 minutes of my posting it, had a bid which met my reserve. That was last Thursday night when I posted it, which allows me to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I should have bought a 3rd generation ATV with the $25 rebate last week.

Shoulda...  Coulda...  Woulda...

... Do exactly this. As soon as I knew it met the reserve, I ordered the 3,2 model and got the $25 iTunes gift card. Plus, even after eBay and PayPal fees? I have enough left over to pick up a second one, which was always my intent. But I am waiting for version 4,1 for that. The 3,2 one will go to the kids room.
post #30 of 36
@funkfeend,

Just to be clear, you read my touché comment as an acknowledgment that I should have considered 'this' could also refer to your first sentence?

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I'll install 10.9.3b2 when it arrives (probably next week), then check to see if exists.

I just installed 10.9.3b2 and was able to see my Apple TV's BT on my MBP when I want to the BT setting under General on the Apple TV. However, I was not able to complete the pairing as my MBP shows a 6 digit number that needs to be inputted but there is no screen on the Apple TV that would allow me to input the number. Also, I have no idea if this is different than before because I failed to test before I started my update.

post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

[...] Additionally, it would be great if Apple allowed Bluetooth audio streaming from Apple TV. That way, we could just use Bluetooth headphones for this purpose.

Have you listened to Bluetooth headphones? You may not be very happy with the sound quality. I certainly haven't been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

A little late, but isn't the Bluetooth part just the handshake?

I'm not clear on how this is supposed to work -- does the ATV use BT to find and identify other devices then use ad-hoc WiFi to carry the data, or is the content carried over Bluetooth? If the latter, the quality is really gonna suffer.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #33 of 36
Quote:

However, I was not able to complete the pairing as my MBP shows a 6 digit number that needs to be inputted but there is no screen on the Apple TV that would allow me to input the number.

Couldn't you use the Remote app on your iPhone?
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I never tried but I would have still expected something to appear on the HDTV via the Apple TV.

post #35 of 36
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I never tried but I would have still expected something to appear on the HDTV via the Apple TV.

That would make the most sense, yes.

I also tried it, but nothing 'happened', probably because I'm on 10.9.2 (?)
post #36 of 36

This update is also breaking Dolby Digital 5.1 output from Netflix and other sources. I noticed last night while watching a movie that I was getting stereo when I should have been getting surround sound. Sure enough, my A/V receiver was showing "PCM" instead of "Dolby Digital" coming from the ATV. Nothing has changed on my end except this firmware update.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6012766?start=0&tstart=0

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Latest Apple TV 6.1 update enables AirPlay device discovery over Bluetooth