or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon increases Prime membership fee to $99 per year

Amazon increases Prime membership fee to $99 per year

post #1 of 81
Amazon's Prime service, which offers free streaming video and book borrowing to Apple iOS device users, has seen its annual price increase from $79 per year to $99 per year, while student members will also see a price hike.

The new annual fee marks the first time Amazon Prime has seen a price increase in its nine-year history. Amazon Student members will also now pay $49 per year for their membership.

Current Prime and Student members will be contacted via email by Amazon to provide the renewal date specific to their membership. The increase applies to existing customers set to renew after April 17. The Prime Fresh membership, which offers same-day grocery delivery in Los Angeles and San Francisco, will remain $299.

In its email announcing the change in pricing, Amazon noted that Prime subscriptions have remained unchanged "even as fuel and transportation costs have increased." It also noted that 20 million items are now available for two-day shipping, while 40,000 movies and TV shows are available on Prime Instant Video, and a half-million books can be borrowed for Kindle.

In addition to unlimited streaming with Prime Instant Video and book lending from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, Amazon Prime also comes with free unlimited two-day shipping for eligible purchases.

Video content available to stream for free through Prime can be accessed through the official Amazon Instant Video app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The software also includes built-in support for Apple's AirPlay wireless streaming, allowing content to be viewed on an HDTV via Apple TV.

Also available for Prime subscribers is the Kindle Owners' Lending Library, which allows users to choose from more than 500,000 books to borrow with no due dates. Once titles have been borrowed from Amazon's website, they can be accessed through the official Kindle for iOS application.
post #2 of 81
Amazon Insider
post #3 of 81

I really do think they loss led this for a while.  Looking at online pricing, it was hard to beat their pricing and shipping if you factored in the convenience of getting it in 2 days.  I figured that almost every shipment (i have 3 subscriptions a month, and spot buy a lot of things), is worth the $11 a month in convenience fees.   I often won't go to Target, Home Depot, or even Albertsons and instead just have amazon ship it to me.

But now at an extra $3 a month ($.10 a day) is that convenience still worth it?  Most will say yes.   So if 50Million people subscribe, all of a sudden  there's a Billion in the black (or less red).   All the while luring us into commitment...

Clever Girl.     

As for Amazon Prime video and books... meh.  Not much more than what's on Netflix, and save for Alpha House (and that's REALLY lame compared to House of Cards), I can't remember content I've watched on Prime.  and I'm a book buyer.

post #4 of 81
HEY AMAZON BREAK IT UP
I do nt want the other services don't use them why pay for them
Amazon the new cable company

How do we contact amazon??
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #5 of 81
DOJ to investigate Apple.
post #6 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post

Amazon Insider

"keep your friends close, but your enemies closer"

Contrary to many, Amazon is Apple's real competitor.    Many people may hate Samsung, but they are a distant 4th place.

It's all down to 'owning' the sales channel to the consumer.   Amazon Prime vs AppleID.  Kindle vs iOS.

Amazon is taking the low [no] margin big box warehouse store route... Apple is taking the curated Nieman Marcus catalog approach...  Both working towards frictionless purchacing.  And they are working towards each other (digital books is the beachhead on Apple's shore, inApp purchases is apple's toward Amazon's vendor marketplace).

post #7 of 81
Ugh. Someone here just lifting any story off of The Verge's home page now?

Why not start covering all of the top news stories, anything at all... What's happening with that Malaysian plane crash? 😣

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 81
I don't buy that much from Amazon.. and I prefer my Netflix over Amazon prime Video.. at $50/year I would consider it.. I almost did at $79.. now, at $99, not going there..

I'll save me the $99/ year and just use Netflix for my video.. They have beefed up their selection lately.. very happy with Netflix..
post #9 of 81
Same here in the UK, although we have been price gouged more than the US customers (as usual).

We were already the most expensive Amazon prime country despite being the smallest.

I'll be dumping prime once I get to renewal, I don't want their film service & refuse to pay for it.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #10 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why not start covering all of the top news stories, anything at all... What's happening with that Malaysian plane crash? 😣

Good suggestion.  Here are some headline possibilities:

Missing jet may have been downed by faulty iPhone battery.

Apple's Find iPhone fails to find MH370.

20 Freescale engineers on doomed flight. (This last one was an actually story)

post #11 of 81

Here comes the monopolist's price squeeze.  All you people who were celebrating Amazon's amazingly low prices will now get a glimpse of what Amazon is planning to do once they kill all their major competitors and cement their monopoly.  Not that easy to accomplish but a lot easier if you have a brainless Department of Justice providing you with an assist.

post #12 of 81

I agree with Nofeer.  I am most likely cancelling my Prime membership over this.  I do not use the Prime streaming or eBook functions, which are likely the biggest reasons for this increase.  If Amazon were to break this up into a Prime shipping for $79 and Prime Streaming for $20, then I would gladly subscribe to Prime Shipping and they could keep getting my $79 a year.  As it is they are likely going to lose my $79 a year, rather than get an extra $20 from me.

post #13 of 81

I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon since their prices are usually the best, but I don't do Prime and I never pay for shipping (I notice they changed the free-shipping minimum from $25 to $35 over the holidays).  I expect that Amazon hates customers like me.

post #14 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon since their prices are usually the best, but I don't do Prime and I never pay for shipping (I notice they changed the free-shipping minimum from $25 to $35 over the holidays).  I expect that Amazon hates customers like me.

No worries. Amazon never has and never will make a profit under their current business model. They have been called 'a charity for investors.'

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 81

As someone who buys a ton of stuff for the office from Amazon (hard drives, computer supplies, various supplies, etc), I conned convinced my company to pay for my Amazon Prime membership.  We buy enough from them that it's really a no-brainer, it more than pays for itself.

That said, if it were just for me (not my company), I don't think I'd do it. I still prefer Netflix over Amazon. And iTunes over Amazon for paid content (yup, have an AppleTV).  And I certainly don't buy enough personally to justify it.  And $99 would cement that decision.

post #16 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

DOJ to investigate Apple.

Haters to blame Apple for this.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 81
The article mentions borrowing books with kindle for iOS. This inaccurate, it is only a feature for kindle hardware http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200757120
post #18 of 81
Hey, for the record, and unless they changed something (I couldn't find that they had) but this is not true. You need a physical kindle device to get this service.
Quote:
Once titles have been borrowed from Amazon's website, they can be accessed through the official Kindle for iOS application.
post #19 of 81
Quote:

Unfunny and tasteless.
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
post #20 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Quote:

Unfunny and tasteless.

Thank you for your contribution.

post #21 of 81
Quote:

Yeah -- I am a bit confused as to what this has anything to do with Apple related news. How does Amazon Prime's pricing affect me as an Apple consumer exactly?
post #22 of 81
Even at the new price it is only about .25 more a month than Netflix. I dropped Netflix and use Amazon for streaming. I can easily get my .25 back with a few freight free shipments. I think it would be very difficult to compare selection between the two and come to any conclusions as to who is a better choice. The good thing about Netflix is I can buy it for one month and watch the new season of House of Cards and then cancel.
post #23 of 81
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post
How does Amazon Prime's pricing affect me as an Apple consumer exactly?

This is your world.

This is your world on monopoly.

Thanks, DoJ.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #24 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I agree with Nofeer.  I am most likely cancelling my Prime membership over this.  I do not use the Prime streaming or eBook functions, which are likely the biggest reasons for this increase.  If Amazon were to break this up into a Prime shipping for $79 and Prime Streaming for $20, then I would gladly subscribe to Prime Shipping and they could keep getting my $79 a year.  As it is they are likely going to lose my $79 a year, rather than get an extra $20 from me.

Just cancelled my Prime account effective the last day of my current membership. Then I sent Amazon an email telling them that I was unhappy about the increase and the bundled benefits. Said if they broke it up like I mentioned earlier I would resubscribe, but I won't pay more because of streaming and kindle borrowing that I don't use.

Hopefully a lot more people do the same and Amazon considers splitting them.

post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is your world.

This is your world on monopoly.

Thanks, DoJ.

Amazon doesn't have a monopoly on anything.

post #26 of 81
Very smart move Amazon- steal a page right out of Apple's and Netflix'playbooks.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #27 of 81

Amazon is a monopoly.  They sell below cost to try to put everybody out of business except them.

post #28 of 81
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

:rolleyes:

post #29 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Perhaps not yet, but why do you think they are willing to go for years with virtually no profit?  Because they are charitable people at heart and they have no plans of gouging their customers once they have killed all their major competitors?  Surely, unlike the DoJ, you are not that naive or gullible.

post #30 of 81

Heard the monopoly nonsense in business school, only it was tagged to Walmart.Still waiting for the universal price hikes to hit.

Amazon is a monopoly of what, exactly? Jeff B. is a volume guy and likes low prices. That's just the way he rolls. $99 is still a huge bargain for online shoppers like me. There will be no price hikes because this economy is still sluggish. Everyone can compare value online.

post #31 of 81
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

There will be no price hikes because this economy is still sluggish.

They, uh… just hiked the price. It literally just happened. You’re posting in a thread about it, in fact.

post #32 of 81

Here in Germany the price just went up from €29 to €49 (just under $70) and although the price isn't too bad, the problem is that most of the Lovefilm offerings are in German - which I do speak, but I prefer the original version. Why watch anything made in English in the dubbed version? 

The €29 just for the postage perks was great - but I honestly don't understand the business model of bundling it with a film-rental service (which it is even if only for €20 a year), especially as they offer absolutely no alternative. If they price goes up any higher, then I will probably tell them where to stick it . . .

post #33 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They, uh… just hiked the price. It literally just happened. You’re posting in a thread about it, in fact.

Well you got me there. I wasn't aware that amazon was a 1-product company.

post #34 of 81
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Well you got me there. I wasn't aware that amazon was a 1-product company.

No, those goalposts stay right where they are, thanks. 

post #35 of 81
Quote:

Very good! But I would modify your second one to:

Apple's Find iPhone fails to find MH370; screen size too small.
iPad a Dream.
iPad a Dream.
post #36 of 81
So how do we contact them
This is stupid
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #37 of 81
1) Amazon Prime for students/educators has jumped $10 from $39 to $49.

2) If you love Amazon Prime but want to pay less there is a simple solution that can reduce your price by $60 (at least in the US). Sign up for a class at your local community college. I'm not even sure you need to actually pay for an actual class, but why not better yourself anyway? Once you have that email address you can use that to verify your account to not only get a reduction in Amazon Prime pricing but the next 6 months for free, and if you already have Amazon Prime they will prorate you the difference back as cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

HEY AMAZON BREAK IT UP
I do nt want the other services don't use them why pay for them
Amazon the new cable company

How do we contact amazon??

And if the pricing would be $99 for Prime delivery, and then $50 for the streaming videos and $30 for the Kindle book rental would you still want it broken up?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #38 of 81
Quote:

You have no interest in the story so pass it up.   But instead, you decided to add to your 14,000+ posts in order to complain about it.

post #39 of 81

Year....Amazon Orders

2003    1
2004    1
2005    6
2006    11
2007    2
2008    12
2009    34
2010    28
2011    77
2012    97
2013    138...11 orders per month!
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Year....Amazon Orders
2003    1
2004    1
2005    6
2006    11
2007    2
2008    12
2009    34
2010    28
2011    77
2012    97
2013    138...11 orders per month!

How can you check?

PS: Just yesterday, on the 25th anniversary of the World Wide Web, I was wondering what my first internet purchase was. I have absolutely no idea.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon increases Prime membership fee to $99 per year