or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Drive slashes paid storage prices, turning up the heat on rival Dropbox
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Drive slashes paid storage prices, turning up the heat on rival Dropbox - Page 2

post #41 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh. Unless it's at least 25GB free, with the option to purchase up to a TB, I would find it uninteresting and unimpressive.

Apple should at least scale free storage based on the number of IOS and Macs I have active and registered to my iCloud. MBP, iMac, iPad 128GB, iPhone 64GB
post #42 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


Scanning your documents is much different then what was asserted.  The poster claimed that "Google wants to scan your data so they can take your ideas and make money off of them before you can" (emphasis mine).

Either misinformed or just making stuff up then obviously. I've always felt it better to research what I don't know anything about rather than posting misinformation or outright FUD. Yes, there's a lot of stuff I have to look up too. 1cool.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #43 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You don't even need to search for little known court cases. Google is right upfront about what they collect and how it's treated. It's not a secret.
https://support.google.com/a/answer/60762?hl=en

Yes, that's Google for you. Always honest and upfront:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/18/google-pays-17-million-settlement-over-no-harm-browser-privacy-violations/

Invasion of an individual's privacy no harm, my ass.

It staggers me how you consistently attempt to promote Google as a company that respects privacy.

Especially when we have nice lengthy articles like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google

...that detail deliberate, regular, and repeated behaviour disregarding, not only privacy, but quite a few other important principles as well.

Piss off to GoogleInsider, GoogleGuy.
post #44 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yes, that's Google for you. Always honest and upfront:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/18/google-pays-17-million-settlement-over-no-harm-browser-privacy-violations/

It staggers me how you consistently attempt to promote Google as a company that respects privacy.

Especially when we have nice lengthy articles like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google

...that detail deliberate, regular, and repeated behaviour disregarding, not only privacy, but quite a few other important principles as well.

Piss off to GoogleInsider, GoogleGuy.

I suppose making stuff up rather than looking stuff up may make sense for some folks. I personally prefer knowing the facts when they're available.

As I recall I took Google to task over that particular issue myself more than once, not particularly buying their claim that it was accidental. Unfortunately for attorneys there's no evidence that proves they're not telling the truth.

Worse there's nothing illegal about ignoring DoNotTrack preferences anyway which is why it's very often ignored by advertisers, data aggregators, other search providers and "consumer research" companies. Many of them have publicly stated they will ignore the preference.

EDIT: Appreciate the effort you made to offer a link to the article at TechCrunch. It was surprisingly friendly to Google's position too so it was unexpected to see you mention it.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/13/14 at 2:43pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #45 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I suppose making stuff up rather than looking stuff up may make sense for some folks. I prefer knowing the facts when they're available. As I recall I took Google to task over that particular issue myself, not particularly buying their claim that it was accidental. Unfortunately for attorneys there's no evidence that proves they're not telling the truth.

Ironic then, that so much stuff seems to be 'made up' about one company. Repeatedly. Over a lengthy period of time.

Where's there's smoke, there's fire.

1wink.gif
post #46 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlack View Post

just wait for yahoo to acquire dropbox to get a foot in the door.

 

Dropbox is on the road to an IPO and their valuation is pretty high, especially with their recent investment round. I think prohibitively high for Yahoo to purchase. Also, there isn't much of a value add to the direction Marissa Mayer is taking Yahoo.

post #47 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Yeah but - Dropbox doesn't scan your data and make use of that.

 



Google should give cloud storage away; for you giving them the opportunity of scanning your files.
post #48 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ironic then, that so much stuff seems to be 'made up' about one company. Repeatedly. Over a lengthy period of time.

Where's there's smoke, there's fire.

1wink.gif

People make up lots of stuff about Apple. I don't believe everything I hear and I'm sure you don't either.


Oh wait, you were talking about Google. . .
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

People make up lots of stuff about Apple. I don't believe everything I hear and I'm sure you don't either.

Oh wait, you were talking about Google. . .

I fail to see how Apple is a topic in regards to Google's privacy violations.

Please feel free to go through that entire list in 'Criticisms of Google' and explain how poor, innocent Google has just been unfairly set upon by third parties.

In the meantime, while the rest of us are waiting for you to get back to us (I mean, any realistic, properly researched, response is going to take a least a few days, right? 1wink.gif), here's a joke to amuse the rest of us:

What do Google and Hitler have in common?

They are both just victims of bad press.
post #50 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I fail to see how Apple is a topic in regards to Google's privacy violations.

Please feel free to go through that entire list in 'Criticisms of Google' and explain how poor, innocent Google has just been unfairly set upon by third parties.

In the meantime, while the rest of us are waiting for you to get back to us (I mean, any realistic, properly researched, response is going to take a least a few days, right? 1wink.gif) here's a joke to amuse the rest of us:

What do Google and Hitler have in common?

They are both just victims of bad press.

You do realize the same source has a "Criticisms of Apple" page. 1hmm.gif

I've not ever said there's not legitimate concerns about some Google practices especially since I've complained about some myself. What you should really find odd tho is there's apparently so few legitimate ones that some here have to come up with imaginary creations just to avoid being redundant.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/13/14 at 2:08pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #51 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You do realize the same source has a "Criticisms of Apple" page. 1hmm.gif

Stop trying to change the topic.

Explanations of how Google is innocent and misunderstood pronto, please!
post #52 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post
 

:lol:


What?

post #53 of 95

Oh, and Googleguy, by the way, prepare to be upset when, on the off chance you ARE able to refute all of the criticisms against Google, that many of us continue to refuse to use their services.

 

Sorry about that.

 

;) 

post #54 of 95

Anyone tried Mega? (50gb free) 

post #55 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Stop trying to change the topic.

Explanations of how Google is innocent and misunderstood pronto, please!

LOL. . .
I've got a teenage son who only hears what he want to hear so I've got some experience figuring out when to take the time to be helpful and when it's just wasted effort. In this case I think the effort would be wasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Oh, and Googleguy, by the way, prepare to be upset when, on the off chance you ARE able to refute all of the criticisms against Google, that many of us continue to refuse to use their services.

Sorry about that.

1wink.gif  

I block their tracking and targeted ad efforts myself for the most part, but not at all ashamed to use their services when it benefits me. I don't own stock in 'em so whether you use them or not really has zero effect. I still find them to be the best search provider.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #56 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

LOL. . .
I've got a teenage son who only hears what he want to hear so I've got some experience figuring out when to take the time to be helpful and when it's just wasted effort. In this case I think the effort would be wasted.

Why use so many letters for the expression "I can't"?

Google can be trusted, as proven by Gatorguy:

Myth busted.
post #57 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Why use so many letters for the expression "I can't"?

Google can be trusted, as proven by Gatorguy:

Myth busted.

I really was looking forward more to your typically funny one-liners. Your last few posts seem to be unusually personal and aggressive. Any particular reason?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #58 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emes View Post

Wake me up when someone makes a tablet with 1TB internal storage

I work for a local authority. None of our servers have a TB of storage, the servers are on average about 350gb and we have about 5 servers. How much data do you need to keep on your tablet?
post #59 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

I’ve been wondering something recently.

 

Go back to 1994. 1GB drives were huge. Basically the largest available, right?

Fast forward to 2004. 1TB drives had just come out. 1000x larger.

And now in 2014, we have… 4TB. Where are our Petabyte drives? What happened here? I mean, even 10TB  seems like a meaningful thought, but nothing. Nada.

 

 

It think it is just a symptom of most of the R&D moving to flash storage technology to support mobile. There were advancements in magnetic, but no where near as impressive. Flash went through the same huge growth cycle by gaining storage capacity, reducing physical size, increasing performance, and reducing price.

post #60 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's like 4 AM in Australia.

Ah, that might feed into it. I'm not at my best at 4am.

EDIT: 8am then? My day starts at 5:30. By 8 I've killed at least 4 cups, maybe 6. I'm definitely a coffee guy, so its great they've found health benefits to it. Why cut back now, more must be better right?
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/13/14 at 2:53pm
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #61 of 95
Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

It think it is just a symptom of most of the R&D moving to flash storage technology to support mobile. There were advancements in magnetic, but no where near as impressive. Flash went through the same huge growth cycle by gaining storage capacity, reducing physical size, increasing performance, and reducing price.

 

And that’s certainly true. There’s a minimum physical size for a spinning disk’s magnetic sectors before the magnetism itself starts to interfere with neighboring sectors. There’s a minimum physical size for the heads within the disks and the space between them. And NAND (and all other forms of solid state) happen to have a far lower threshold for these physical limitations than all disks, leading to a higher density.


But REALLY. Ten years and this is the best we can do? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #62 of 95
where is apple on this dammit? google is eating its lunch again... google had a 3 year lead with gmail vs a decent apple proposal (is there one today?) google had a 3 year lead with google docs vs iwork for icloud.. is it gonna be another 3 years until apple matches google on cloud storage?

its one thing to wait and iron out all the details and come out with a more finished product but
a. 3 years is a freaking long time
b. if a user get used to sth its very hard to switch (see gmail)
c. its cloud storage for crying out loud and apple has gazillion trillion in the bank

make it happen dammit
post #63 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Meh. Unless it's at least 25GB free, with the option to purchase up to a TB, I would find it uninteresting and unimpressive.
I think 10-20 max if they were to but a option to go 1 TB would be believable.
post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post
 

 Heh heh, I have 11.5 GB from taking advantage of every freebie promo and test volunteer reward that they offered me about a couple of years ago.  That's free for life.

 

I got 48 free GB for two years with a Samsung Galaxy SIII, when I got an S4 with the same offer it was not added to or extended, which seems like a bit of a scam.

 

It runs out soon which is when I'll have to cut back I suppose.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

where is apple on this dammit? google is eating its lunch again... google had a 3 year lead with gmail vs a decent apple proposal (is there one today?) google had a 3 year lead with google docs vs iwork for icloud.. is it gonna be another 3 years until apple matches google on cloud storage?

its one thing to wait and iron out all the details and come out with a more finished product but
a. 3 years is a freaking long time
b. if a user get used to sth its very hard to switch (see gmail)
c. its cloud storage for crying out loud and apple has gazillion trillion in the bank

make it happen dammit

 

It took Google 5 or more years to catch up to Apple's iTools, let alone Apple's eWorld.

 

 

 

Your statements are completely wrong, you've got things ass backwards.

 

LOL at the guy who thinks Apple needs to follow Google.


Edited by hill60 - 3/13/14 at 3:24pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #66 of 95

please enlighten me

post #67 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post


I work for a local authority. None of our servers have a TB of storage, the servers are on average about 350gb and we have about 5 servers. How much data do you need to keep on your tablet?

I don't. Who needs 41 megapixels in a camera (not knocking it btw, it's still an amazing camera), who needs a 64-bit smartphone, who needs to calculate pi to the 100,000,000,000,000th digit?

 

It's because numbers sell.

post #68 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


You do realize the same source has a "Criticisms of Apple" page. 1hmm.gif
 

I don't feel that the Criticisms of Apple page is quite the same scope as the Criticisms of Google page. If anything, it is not as pertinent to this discussion as the Google page. And if you ask me, at first glance, most of Apple's criticisms listed on that page are because Apple is held to a higher standard than their tech peers, especially with the environment and labor issues.

 

I, like many others here, avoid Google and their services as much as possible.

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

Reply
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

It took Google 5 or more years to catch up to Apple's iTools, let alone Apple's eWorld.

 

 

 

Your statements are completely wrong, you've got things ass backwards.

 

LOL at the guy who thinks Apple needs to follow Google.

if you havent noticed a lot of the areas that apple and google operate in overlap nowadays...

 

My point is exactly that apple need not follow google.. it should lead

post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

I’ve been wondering something recently.

 

Go back to 1994. 1GB drives were huge. Basically the largest available, right?

Fast forward to 2004. 1TB drives had just come out. 1000x larger.

And now in 2014, we have… 4TB. Where are our Petabyte drives? What happened here? I mean, even 10TB  seems like a meaningful thought, but nothing. Nada.

 

So Google being able to offer up this amount of storage seems insane. Think of the sheer number of drives! Think of the amount of physical space required! And I guess they assume the service will be used for at least a year per person, because terabyte drives are still $100.

Simple math assuming the average 100GB purchaser _uses_ 10GB (and median user is 2GB...pretty much what I see in my disk management Life).

 

And retail for 4TB internal drives is ~$150. Google's price is wholesale.... your price is off by a factor of 3+.

 

Figuring in 4TB RAID 5 and a Mirror... and likely a decent amount of compression to balance any anomalous usage spikes

 

Let's say you want to service a BILLION users.

That's 10GB per user  RAIDED/Mirrored out at 24GB.

24GB*1B (is a lot of zeros)/4TB = 6Million Drives

 

my back of the envelope price for the raw spindles (6 million 4TB if you're counting) is $750Million..

Storage Array, networking, the army of technicians to wire up the cabinets, electrical, cooling... lets double that 1.5B 

Seems like a lot of Initial spend.... oh wait  Google made 9.0BILLION last quarter....  Take it out of petty cash.

 

A BILLION Users costs Google 1.50 cents in initial CapEx and OpEx/yr per user... 

 

Google .49/1.99  = 25% Gross Margin...   is it profitable to Googles current stds.... yes.

Year 2... plan on 10% disk failure (8 cents) and 10% growth (8 cents), 10% growth on costs (.83 cents per user)

Google makes $1.05 Billion at 50% gross profit the 2nd year....

 

Seems to make pretty simple business sense... if you have the capacity in the data center and your network.


Edited by TheOtherGeoff - 3/13/14 at 3:53pm
post #71 of 95
Quote:

Please, stop putting out FUD! Two totally different things. Dropbox IS NOT scanning your data but simply, and securely, building previews based on file extensions to give you easy access to previews of your own docs from your web browser without launching an app. Did you even read the article?
post #72 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

Any evidence of this ever happening?  Where does this stuff come from?

They read it from other "over zealous" AppleInsider users and since they don't bother fact checking, it becomes gospel.

post #73 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


People make up lots of stuff about Apple. I don't believe everything I hear and I'm sure you don't either.


Oh wait, you were talking about Google. . .

 

Why bother, the guy lives a double standard life and his posts pretty much admit it.  He chooses to ignore any wrongdoing by his chosen company and point the finger at anything that could make his company look bad.  You probably shouldn't engage those type of people in debate when they try that tactic.

 

I think the proper response to Google lowering their prices should be "That's great - we as consumers win" because it will put pressure on other companies to drop their prices or come up with something different so they can differentiate themselves from Google.   It's called healthy competition and it does wonders for the industry.   Some people may say that Google is undercutting the competition to knock them out but let's be honest - if that happened, it would not be the first time it has ever happened and it would not be the last.  Every major company (Apple included) has done this at some point in their storied careers. 

post #74 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post
I think the proper response to Google lowering their prices should be "That's great - we as consumers win" because it will put pressure on other companies to drop their prices or come up with something different so they can differentiate themselves from Google.   It's called healthy competition and it does wonders for the industry. 

Actually not always. There is a difference between selling storage at a loss when it is not your main revenue generator versus, in the case of Dropbox, selling nothing but storage, of course they can't sell at a loss. It is the same argument made about Amazon undercutting the actual cost of ebooks. It is not real competition. It may look good for consumers until your only choice is either Google or MS. But Apple is no different in some respects, they give away their OS and apps to sell more hardware, just like Google gives stuff away for free to win your eyeballs on ad impressions.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #75 of 95
Dropbox's valuation and potential IPO price just collapsed...

Serves the VC's right for chasing the latest shiney object without thinking two moves ahead

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #76 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Dropbox's valuation and potential IPO price just collapsed...

Serves the VC's right for chasing the latest shiney object without thinking two moves ahead

 

I suppose they still have the deal with Samsung to give 48GB for two years and the deal with HTC to give 23GB for two years.

 

I don't know if Dropbox get paid for it or if they are hoping people will pay to keep their data at the end of the two years.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #77 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Please, stop putting out FUD! Two totally different things. Dropbox IS NOT scanning your data but simply, and securely, building previews based on file extensions to give you easy access to previews of your own docs from your web browser without launching an app. Did you even read the article?

And how do they detect file extensions if they're not scanning for them?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #78 of 95
These people are even cheaper than Google:
https://hubic.com/en/offers/

€1 ($1.40) a month for 100 GB
€10 a month for 10 TB compared to Google's $100 (€72) for the same capacity.
post #79 of 95
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And retail for 4TB internal drives is ~$150.

 

When did THAT happen?

 

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post
Dropbox IS NOT scanning your data

 

Looks like that’s exactly what they’re doing.

 
Did you even read the article? 

 

Yeah, they’re looking at the documents.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #80 of 95
You Techies, Sometimes CLEVER. But Sometimes Very SiLly !

You'll Make A Big Mistake if You Take Account of ONLY HOW BIG STORAGE You're Offered When You Choose Cloud Service.

I Was Thinking Taking Advantage of Using FREE Big Capacity of Google Drive for My Video Library Collections.
And I Uploaded Some Videos There to Find Out that PLAYING VIDEO QUALITY IS HORRIBLE Despite that Original Video Quality is NO PROBLEM !

So I Tried Every Other Cloud Service too in The ViewPoint of Video Playing.

MS's OneDrive ( Former SkyDrive ) and Amazon's Drive : Not Bad. So So.

DropBox : Superior. Flawless.

So You Have to Be SELECTIVE in Using Every Cloud Service.
When You Put JUST Myriad of Your Fotos, PDF and Texts, Google Drive is O.K.
But as for Video Storage, It's USELESS !

Side Note. And What's GOOD about DropBox is It's So Easy to Make Your Own Web Site on It by SSL !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google Drive slashes paid storage prices, turning up the heat on rival Dropbox