or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple Service

Apple Service

post #1 of 8
Hello AIers

Is there any email address to contact Apple Support at?

I'm getting kind of cheesed off by their 'passive' support; they seem to just be doling out notices instead of providing users with a more friendly 'interface' (i.e humans).

More specifically, I am pretty antsy about my iPod servicing now. It's been a couple of days since I've sent in the box and all I've had on the iPod depot page was 'Note'. Plus my warranty's 'expired' according to Apple, even though my iPod is less than 2 months old. Does anybody have any experience with iPod servicing?

Another thing is, I notice that Apple has quite a few feedback pages for .Mac. Off-hand, I can think of:
<a href="http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html</a>
<a href="http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/pm.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/pm.html</a>
<a href="http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/gtm.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac/gtm.html</a>
Is Apple really interested in our feedback or are these links just there to pacify angry users?
post #2 of 8
Apple's computer database which handles all Service calls and requests has been down since last Friday. They are currently upgrading all of the systems and they are due back online 'any time now'.

My PowerBook repair request is also in the queue and while it's frustrating, there's nothing we can do.

Supposedly, it will make support calls much faster, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next time I have to send my PowerBook in to be fixed.
post #3 of 8
Well I just checked my status again and was appalled. Apple claims that there are no faults with my iPod and is sending it back.
post #4 of 8
What was wrong with your iPod anyway? Apple won't repair cosmetic damages, and all iPods have the following problems:

1. Remote connector is a crap design.

Many users think their remote is broken when they just didn't push it in hard enough. Keep pushing. You won't break it. Apple should fix this with a later hardware revision.

2. iPods skip or hang when jostled for a long period, such as when running.

If you exercise with your iPod, put it somewhere where the impact is minimized, such as on your waist or in your hand, and alter your stride if you have a high-impact step (running/jogging with a smooth stride will be much better for your legs, anyway).

3. Apple won't repair any cosmetic problems with your iPod.

If it's scratched, you'll just have to live with it. If there is a "gap" betwwen the lucite and the metal back, or if the FireWire port cover is loose, Apple will probably claim it's within spec.
post #5 of 8
What was wrong with your iPod anyway? Apple won't repair cosmetic damages, and all iPods have the following problems:

1. Remote connector is a crap design.

Many users think their remote is broken when they just didn't push it in hard enough. Keep pushing. You won't break it. Apple should fix this with a later hardware revision.

2. iPods skip or hang when jostled for a long period, such as when running.

If you exercise with your iPod, put it somewhere where the impact is minimized, such as on your waist or in your hand, and alter your stride if you have a high-impact step (running/jogging with a smooth stride will be much better for your legs, anyway).

3. Apple won't repair any cosmetic problems with your iPod.

If it's scratched, you'll just have to live with it. If there is a "gap" betwwen the lucite and the metal back, or if the FireWire port cover is loose, Apple will probably claim it's within spec.
post #6 of 8
Well I was having some problems with the battery; it lasted only about 2-3 hours after a full charge without all the bells and whistles activated, and with very little usage (something like an hour or so a day), way shorter than the advertised life. But Apple says it's fine, so it's fine.

The screen also seemed to be flickering at some angles and even when I am looking at it directly. Especially obvious under indoor lighting. Backlight also did not seem to work across the screen; patchy areas visible. But Apple says it's fine, so it's fine.

Well I've heard of people sending in the iPods because of the battery life and getting replacements, which was why I tried my luck. Anyway, does anyone have the screen problem too? I don't really think it falls under the 'cosmetic' cosmetic problems category right.
post #7 of 8
The screen backlight is blotchy. There are five LEDs on the left side, and the light is not distributed evenly.

I haven't noticed any "flickering" of the screen, but all LCD screens like this show an "oil spill" effect when viewed at certain angles under certain lighting conditions (especially under the sun). The iPod screen also has a lot of "banding" because it is a low-power, passive matrix screen. This actually varies from Pod to Pod, but you can minimize such an effect by reducing your screen's contrast.

Sorry about the battery. You could call them back and insist. You should get a replacement for this if your battery life is indeed short. Don't take no for an answer.

About the battery: charge with the charger rather than the FW port for better performance, and remember that the battery will drain in about two days even if you don't use the iPod. This means that if your real sustained battery life is about 10 hours, you charge up your iPod completely, then listen for two hours, then go to sleep, by the next day it should be more than half empty and will only last for a few more hours. This will make it look like your battery life is only about five hours or so, even if, as Apple says, there's nothing really wrong with your particular unit.
post #8 of 8
Thank you for the reassurance. I always charge my iPod with the desktop charger, and connect it to my Mac only for syncing. I guess it's probably a user problem then, since I don't charge it everyday.
Thanks again!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple Service