or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS

How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS - Page 5

post #161 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I have seen no evidence of this happening.
I've no idea myself. Florian is using this report to support the comment. http://www.visionmobile.com/product/developer-economics-q3-2013-state-of-the-developer-nation/
melior diabolus quem scies
post #162 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I've no idea myself. Florian is using this report to support the comment. http://www.visionmobile.com/product/developer-economics-q3-2013-state-of-the-developer-nation/

A couple of the "facts" stand out to me.
Quote:
52% of the developer population uses HTML5 technologies to develop mobile apps

What do they mean by use? Are they including UIWebView being included in an iOS app?
Quote:
iOS monthly revenue at $5,200 -more than Android, but gap closing

Closing the gap the way Windows Phone is closing the gap between iOS and Android by increasing from 1% to 1.1% marketshare YoY?
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/16/14 at 9:23am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #163 of 239

I was wondering when that report would surface at AI followed by the predictable defensive posts.  Meuller's also not the first I've seen to cite it while claiming that Android has "won the battle" vs. iOS.  To those curious of the reality of the situation (3? 4 of you?) the report actually gives a pretty non-biased report.  It shows areas in which Android is doing better as well as areas that iOS is doing better.  It shows no clear "winner" and makes no attempt to.  Both platforms are extremely successful and the report reflects this.  

Edited by DroidFTW - 3/16/14 at 11:26am
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #164 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

These fiction pieces are even better than the science fiction books you can buy in the iBook Store

You can't imagine how much I'd love to watch you stumble your way through an argument to back up this statement.

I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
I don't care about what the ignorant masses perceive as truth. I'm concerned with the facts on the ground.
post #165 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I was wondering when that report would surface at AI followed by the predictable defensive posts.  Meuller's also not the first I've seen to cite it while claiming that Android has "won the battle" vs. iOS.  To those curious of the reality of the situation (3? 4 of you?) the report actually gives a pretty non-biased report.  It shows areas in which Android is doing better as well as areas that iOS is doing better.  It shows no clear "winner" and makes no attempt to.  Both platforms are extremely successful and the report reflects this.  

Like the extremely popular "wallpapers" which populate Play???

They seem like good "Apps".

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #166 of 239
Quote:

Mueller of FOSSpatents has an usual article up this morning. Included are the claims Apple has already lost the platform battle to Google, more developers are now concentrating on creating Android apps than iOS ones and then strays into details about an Apple guy suing him. I take that as his observation that negative Apple comments can attract serious attacks from Apple commits? Not entirely sure what his point is. Quite a different article from him.
http://www.fosspatents.com/2014/03/book-recommendation-haunted-empire.html

A book review, where the author mentions Mueller's work, clearly stated.

Here's another one.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

The publishers are obviously doing the rounds, prior to the books release.

post #167 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A book review, where the author mentions Mueller's work, clearly stated.

Here's another one.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

The publishers are obviously doing the rounds, prior to the books release.

Muellers claims come from that book? I know the article started out to promote the book but then strayed off into other related and unrelated comments as far as I can see.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/16/14 at 1:26pm
post #168 of 239
Quote:

Like the extremely popular "wallpapers" which populate Play???

They seem like good "Apps".

I don't see a whole lotta wallpapers populating the "most popular" categories in the Australian Play Store. As it's the second time you've mentioned them you must be looking at some other source showing different results where wallpapers are the biggest attraction?
http://www.appannie.com/apps/google-play/top/australia/overall/
post #169 of 239
Quote:

I don't see a whole lotta wallpapers populating the "most popular" categories in the Australian Play Store. As it's the second time you've mentioned them you must be looking at some other source showing different results where wallpapers are the biggest attraction?

1) Does having any wallpaper apps top any of the charts bode well for the platform?

2) On their main page they show a wallpaper app as what I assume is their 19th most frequently downloaded app.

post #170 of 239
Quote:

1) Does having any wallpaper apps top any of the charts bode well for the platform?

2) On their main page they show a wallpaper app as what I assume is their 19th most frequently downloaded app.

That link shows me the Spanish Play Store and the only wallpaper app is one made by Whatsapp to change the background of that application.

post #171 of 239
Quote:

That link shows me the Spanish Play Store and the only wallpaper app is one made by Whatsapp to change the background of that application.

I see the following app at what looking 19th place, as well as others that I'm surprised are not part of Android, like a flashlight.

post #172 of 239
Quote:

Why not? If Apple's Appstore offers wallpapers do you think they might see some success?

Compare the types of apps most often downloaded on iOS to those from Google Play. The AppAnnie link I gave you makes it very easy to do.

If you have an iPhone or Google Android smartphone you're far more likely to download a game than anything else, same for both stores. On smartphones apps are most often for fun. On a tablet the most frequently downloaded type will still be games but there is a better representation of productively app compared to smartphones, particularly on Google Play. Does that bode well for the two stores? I don't see a particular problem myself.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/16/14 at 2:05pm
post #173 of 239
Quote:

I see the following app at what looking 19th place, as well as others that I'm surprised are not part of Android, like a flashlight.

Ah, that application also shows on the top free iOS apps, position 98:

http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/united-states/?device=iphone

Zedge has been a wallpaper and ringtone curator since 2009.

post #174 of 239
Quote:

Zedge is as much for sounds (notification, ringtones, messaging) and themes as wallpapers. Kind of a catch all if you might be looking into changing the device defaults. It's on iOS too, tho more limited in what it offers.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/16/14 at 2:16pm
post #175 of 239
Quote:

Why not? If Apple's Appstore offers wallpapers do you think they might see some success?

Compare the types of apps most often downloaded on iOS to those from Google Play. If you have an iPhone or Google Android smartphone you're more likely to download a game than anything else, same for both stores. On smartphones apps are most often for fun. On a tablet the most frequently downloaded type will still be games but there is a better representation of productively apps.compared to smartphones. Does that bode well for the two stores?

Sure, comparable apps by established developers that are popular in a culture are a positive, but that doesn't mean other offering can't be a negative. For example, it's great that Android has Dropbox, Angry Birds, etc. but that it's not great that major developers seem to all mention that it takes more time and money to support Android over iOS. There simply doesn't seem to be the economics of scale working for the 1.5 million daily activations that were reported last June.

post #176 of 239
Quote:

Zedge is as much for sounds (notification, ringtones, messaging) as wallpapers. Kind of a catch all if you might be looking into changing the device defaults.

Why is it at space 19 on Google's site? Is Google not placing them in order of popularity?

post #177 of 239
Quote:

Why is it at space 19 on Google's site? Is Google not placing them in order of popularity?

As far as I know they do. It's much more useful on an Android device since one of the fun things users like to do is customize them. Zedge is more limited by iOS.

In any event it wouldn't help Hill's assertion that wallpapers are the most popular download category for most Google Android handsets. It seemed like you were coming to his defense so perhaps you never saw his original claim.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/164458/how-android-lost-global-open-market-share-to-apples-integrated-ios#post_2487333
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/16/14 at 2:27pm
post #178 of 239
Quote:

Sub $300 phones in particularly in China, that being the majority of Android marketshare.
post #179 of 239
Quote:

Sub $300 phones in particularly in China, that being the majority of Android marketshare.

Still I don't see wall[papers as being the most downloaded category looking at app store stats. Are you looking at something else?
post #180 of 239
Quote:

Still I don't see wall[papers as being the most downloaded category looking at app store stats. Are you looking at something else?
Even in the personalization section on play store you have to go down to 12th place to find the first "wallpaper" entry. Zedge is at 1 but it is a lot more than just wallpapers.
post #181 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So? Why should they not be able to design what works best for them?

The EU will apparently be stepping in to mandate universal mobile chargers, and settling on mini-USB. Doesn't mean that Apple wil have to change their charging port of course but likely they'll have to include a universal charger in the box if I'm reading it correctly.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/eu-votes-in-favor-of-universal-mobile-charger/
post #182 of 239
Quote:

The EU will apparently be stepping in to mandate universal mobile chargers, and settling on mini-USB. Doesn't mean that Apple wil have to change their charging port of course but likely they'll have to include a universal charger in the box if I'm reading it correctly.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/03/eu-votes-in-favor-of-universal-mobile-charger/

Apple's PSU has been universal since the start. It's everyone else that used a built-in cable on the power brick that limited the devices that could be connected to that PSU. Of course, the EU isn't allowing FW400 as an option on the PSU, but it was still open to any other device to use that PSU and it's been about 8(?) years since Apple moved to USB-A which is part of the ruling.

post #183 of 239
Quote:

Apple's PSU has been universal since the start. It's everyone else that used a built-in cable on the power brick that limited the devices that could be connected to that PSU. Of course, the EU isn't allowing FW400 as an option on the PSU, but it was still open to any other device to use that PSU and it's been about 8(?) years since Apple moved to USB-A which is part of the ruling.

I guess if you're happy with a 2.5w trickle charge you could consider it universal. While the current charger is allowed as compliant I don't think it would be under the new proposal.
post #184 of 239
Quote:

I guess if you're happy with a 2.5w trickle charge you could consider it universal. While the current charger is allowed as compliant I don't think it would be under the new proposal.

1) Is there a new proposal that would force Apple to increase the max power output of their charger?

2) The bottom line is Apple has been using USB-A well before the EU ever considered reducing charger waste. The cable that connects to the phone is irrelevant here.

edit: Note that picture is talking about chargers but is showing cables and one end of the port interface, not the charger aka PSU.

edit: Here is the EPS law (Image from Wikipedia).

"A common EPS must include a cable with a Micro USB-B connector for connecting to a mobile phone. This cable can be either 'captive' (permanently attached to the power supply) or detachable. If detachable, the cable must connect to the power supply via a standard USB-A receptacle / connector."

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/16/14 at 6:46pm

post #185 of 239
It's an interesting Apple propaganda article.

But: "And Samsung's success hasn't been due to using Android; it's quite clearly due to using Apple's designs. "

That's just a ridiculous fanboy statement. HTC has consistently delivered superior designs to Samsung the last couple of years and still lost, simply due to the marketing power that Samsung delivers.
post #186 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschipperheyn View Post

But: "And Samsung's success hasn't been due to using Android; it's quite clearly due to using Apple's designs. "

That's just a ridiculous fanboy statement. HTC has consistently delivered superior designs to Samsung the last couple of years and still lost, simply due to the marketing power that Samsung delivers.

And the HTC One looks much more like a iPhone than any current Samsung, so by the author's logic it should be successful.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #187 of 239
Quote:

It was superior design that took the iPod to the top of the world, not marketing. It would seem that HTC's 'superior design' is not superior enough to match the success of the iPhone.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #188 of 239
HTC has consistently delivered superior designs to Samsung the last couple of years and still lost

Uh… except no one has seen them as superior designs. That’s why they lost. Nothing to do with marketing.

Can’t believe I’m defending Samsung on not being a marketing company… :lol:

post #189 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Marketing was
 the strong arm of the iPod's success, the later part of the iTunes ecosystem helped carry the iPod as well.

There was nothing superior about the iPod's design or performance.  Feature wise, Apple was very far behind the competition such as Archos or RCA, who had media players that could record TV, watch video, view pictures, play music (take pictures/video with a camera accessory) around the same time Apple had the iPod Photo/Colour.  As iPod popularity grew, Apple eventually dropped Wolfson and started to use less expensive / lower performing DACs.  

No. The iPod revolutionised MP3 players. Those names you mention were clunky and made obsolete. Your comparison of features reveals your PC mentality of checking against a spec sheet. Apple did very little to market the iPod in its early years; there was no need.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #190 of 239
Quote:

There was nothing superior about the iPod's design or performance.  Feature wise, Apple was very far behind the competition such as Archos or RCA, who had media players that could record TV, watch video, view pictures, play music (take pictures/video with a camera accessory) around the same time Apple had the iPod Photo/Colour.
Accelerative scroll wheel

Sync

Simplicity

censored

censored

post #191 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Marketing was
 the strong arm of the iPod's success, the later part of the iTunes ecosystem helped carry the iPod as well.

There was nothing superior about the iPod's design or performance.  Feature wise, Apple was very far behind the competition such as Archos or RCA, who had media players that could record TV, watch video, view pictures, play music (take pictures/video with a camera accessory) around the same time Apple had the iPod Photo/Colour.  As iPod popularity grew, Apple eventually dropped Wolfson and started to use less expensive / lower performing DACs.  

No. The iPod revolutionised MP3 players. Those names you mention were clunky and made obsolete. Your comparison of features reveals your PC mentality of checking against a spec sheet. Apple did very little to market the iPod in its early years; there was no need.
Two things made the ipod a success
ITunes and it being available for the windows market.
Coupling the software with a place to buy media created the prototype ecosystem that people found a revalation at the time.

Buy music and put it on your device.. easily.

Rip your own music and put it on your ipod... easily.

Taking the ipod by itself it wasnt the best media player on the market and might have gone nowhere.
post #192 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I honestly don't see how anyone can say that Apple is a better company than Google is when Google has the strongest backing on Wall Street.  Market share remains the most important measure of how well a company is doing and Apple looks pretty sick based on shrinking market share.

That is the mystery to members of the Church of MarketShare, isn't it?

Only, Apple's marketshare of all mobiles isn't shrinking, it's growing. What's "shrinking", is share of arbitrary sub-set smartphone. This is largely unimportant, because the definition of that category changes every month, and that category is rapidly growing to subsume all of Mobile, of which it is a subset.

So, by definition, you can't measure more than all mobile; therefore, that is the best metric, and one in which Apple is growing. Apple aimed for 1%, now they seem to be passing 10%. Of course, anyone's share "shrinks" by half when the market being measured ("smartphone"doubles overnight. That's basic math. As the article points out, Android is already present in both parts ("smart" and "feature") of all mobile, as the new default OS. Whoopee! After all, something has to be put on new phones. And that something, Android, isn't doing as well as Symbian did, according to the article. It certainly doesn't benefit Google as much as Windows benefits MS.

post #193 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

Someway this can be considered true, since most of profits in smartphone market go to Apple.

But while Apple gives iOs for free in order to make profits from hardware, Google gives Android for free and hardware on par (Nexus) or let other sell hardware (Samsung and others) in order to sell its services (search with ads, map with ads, youtube with ads, ...). In this context, even if not directly a commercial success, Android is a huge success for Google: deeply embedded services and search bar in the home screen of roughly one billion devices, without paying anything to hardware manufacturers.

Thats why its an antitrust issue and will be corrected sooner or later! Read Google MADA an judge for yourself....

post #194 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by habi View Post

Thats why its an antitrust issue and will be corrected sooner or later! Read Google MADA an judge for yourself....

Both Apple and Google have potential antitrust issues under informal investigation according to reports, Google for MADA stipulations and Apple over carrier stipulations. Personally I don't expect much to come from either one. Can't say Microsoft isn't doing their best to get the EU to investigate tho.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/17/14 at 5:14am
post #195 of 239

As I said in my previous post I was curious. The same reason you come here? My point is that your posts are usually full of conjecture. Like the points that you try to make about Apple's data collecting being similar to Googles. Let me ask you a question if the user of either platform didn't change any of the privacy settings, which platform of the two would be more intrusive? Also does Samsung have its own set of privacy rules that come into play? In Apple's documentation in the user manual it explains what is collected & how it is collected & how regulate it. It may do this when you sign up for Google's services on the phone...I don't know which is why I asked. Most people are not going to search for this to find the answer. I guess the real question would be how accessible is the information to the normal user? You don't seem to know. Yet you go on about it as if you do.

post #196 of 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Let me ask you a question if the user of either platform didn't change any of the privacy settings, which platform of the two would be more intrusive?

None, Android tracking and advertising features are all opt in, not opt out.

post #197 of 239
Quote:

None, Android tracking and advertising features are all opt in, not opt out.

So now you've set up your "smartphone" sans Google, what have you got?

A glorified feature phone, which must happen a lot, seeing as most claimed Android activations mysteriously vanish from online usage figures.

post #198 of 239
Quote:

So now you've set up your "smartphone" sans Google, what have you got?

A glorified feature phone, which must happen a lot, seeing as most claimed Android activations mysteriously vanish from online usage figures.

Apart that if you don't use Google services you can use other Stores and cloud services if you set up a Google account, ad and location services are opt in.

post #199 of 239
Quote:

Apart that if you don't use Google services you can use other Stores and cloud services if you set up a Google account, ad and location services are opt in.

OH wow!! google and android is just the greatest ever!! 

LOL

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

post #200 of 239
Quote:

So here we are, back to the danger of side loading trojans from untrusted sources.

That must explain all the malware on Android.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › How Android lost global open market share to Apple's integrated iOS