or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Great deal on Toshiba e740 PPC

Great deal on Toshiba e740 PPC

post #1 of 8
I know that pocket pc's don't work well with macs, but they are extremely cool little machines. I just picked one up off of amazon earlier this week and it was $519. They had two rebates going that brought the price down to $369. Since that time, they've dropped the price to $449, still $70 more than some places, and removed the rebates. But the rebates are still valid as long as you order before the end of the month.

I was smart and kept the rebates on my computer. They've lowered my price to the $449 and I'm going to be getting another $150 back. So I'm getting one of the best PPC's for the low, low price of $299. Like I said, I've still got the rebates and I can send them to anyone who wants them. You should look over the terms first and then decide, but I don't anticipate any problems.

torifile_at_mac_dot_com if you want 'em.
post #2 of 8
Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
No, the bazaar cannot satisfy users. Neither can the cathedral. Nothing can satisfy users, because software is written to enable rather than satisfy, and because most users are mewling malcontents...
post #3 of 8
[quote]Originally posted by stimuli:
<strong>Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've read that they can. I won't try it, but I'm sure that it would be cool. Get one and try it!
post #4 of 8
[quote]Originally posted by stimuli:
<strong>Good score, Torifile.

Hmm.. wonder if they run linux...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup. Plus 802.11b and Bluetooth.
I'm sure you can imagine some possibilities.

Hrmm. Seems the e740, and Toshiba's line in general, is URL=http://www.handhelds.org/pipermail/handhelds/2002-July/002934.html]bad news[/URL] linux wise.

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>
post #5 of 8
Compaq's iPaq can run linux (QTopia, I believe). I have not seen another PPC that does this though.
One iMac G5, one iPod, many PCs.
post #6 of 8
Woohoo! So far I've been able to sync via airport and I just figured out how to map my home directory as a drive on the PPC over airport. This machine is super cool. Too bad it's about as intuitive as most MS OS's. :/ Not exactly the most user-friendly thing on the planet. But damn is it nice.
post #7 of 8
I am interested to hear how you've got it to "sync".
post #8 of 8
[quote]Originally posted by klinux:
<strong>I am interested to hear how you've got it to "sync".</strong><hr></blockquote>

VPC 5 and Activesync/Outlook 2002 (came with the pda). I'm really just syncing as backup. The work is all done on the e740. Some file transfers, but sharing a folder in VPC makes that a snap. And now that I can get my home directory shared, even that will be less of a hassle.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Great deal on Toshiba e740 PPC