or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Mobile phones

Mobile phones - Page 3

post #81 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by Belle:
<strong>There's full information available on the <a href="http://www.my-siemens.com/s55/" target="_blank">Siemens S55</a> now. Looks like a nice phone.

I've been looking through information on recent and upcoming Nokias - what's the situation with e-mail clients on its phones?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Belle, I thought of you when I noticed the unlocked S55s (with camera) on <a href="http://www.gsmphonesource.com" target="_blank">www.gsmphonesource.com</a> . You might want to look into that, possibly buy a freebie-of-the-month with T-Mobile now to get on the great holiday promo plans, and then buy your own unlocked S55 from a third party like that after selling the freebie phone and making some money off of it. I'm thinking of doing it myself in order to get a T600.
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #82 of 100
Thank you for the link. If it's going to take forever for Siemens to release the model here, I'll maybe go down this route. I don't particularly want the camera attachment, though.

I've not read much about the T600. How does it compare to some of the other phones discussed in these threads?
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #83 of 100
FYI: The PowerPage is reporting on a reader's success using a Sony USB Bluetooth adapter with a <a href="http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10308" target="_blank">Nokia 7650</a>. Sounds like Address Book transfers work but not SMS sending.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.
post #84 of 100
<strong>Thank you for the link. If it's going to take forever for Siemens to release the model here, I'll maybe go down this route. I don't particularly want the camera attachment, though.

I've not read much about the T600. How does it compare to some of the other phones discussed in these threads?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Curious.. why do you want the S55 if not for the camera attachment functionality and bundle pricing?

The T600 is smaller than the T300, silvery-er, has Bluetooth, sort of like a better T68i. It has the features of both the T68i and the T300 that I like, without the crappy reception or the lack of PIM/Bluetooth function (respectively). Plus it's fairly rare, kind of unique.
post #85 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by bradbower:
<strong>Curious.. why do you want the S55 if not for the camera attachment functionality and bundle pricing?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Because it's one of very few phones available that has a bunch of interesting features without being a big, ugly camera phone.

It's tri-band, has hands free speakerphone, Bluetooth, voice dialing, SyncML support, GPRS, vibrating alert, an e-mail client, and polyphonic ring tones.

I'm not really too fussed about the frivolous stuff, but it's very difficult to find a phone with Bluetooth, SyncML and GPRS.
[quote]<strong>The T600 is smaller than the T300, silvery-er, has Bluetooth, sort of like a better T68i. It has the features of both the T68i and the T300 that I like, without the crappy reception or the lack of PIM/Bluetooth function (respectively). Plus it's fairly rare, kind of unique.</strong><hr></blockquote>
The Sony Ericsson site looks nice, but boy is it ever short on usable information.

The product page doesn't list Bluetooth or GPRS, though? I like the grayscale screen. Color isn't necessary, and it saves the battery. And the size is unbelievable!
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #86 of 100
Belle: bradbower pointed us to the <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/" target="_blank">PhoneScoop</a> website in another thread. They have a little bit of information on the <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=213" target="_blank">Siemens S56</a>, which I remember to be the North American version of the S55, right?

As for the T600, it looks to be a decent phone with good PIM and Bluetooth for synching. I wonder how soon Apple will have Bluetooth in all Macs so that we can avoid those Bluetooth USB dongles. I don't like dongles (although I could probably live with a dongle attached to my iMac's keyboard, but not to my iBook).

Escher

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
post #87 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by Escher:
<strong>Belle: bradbower pointed us to the <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/" target="_blank">PhoneScoop</a> website in another thread. They have a little bit of information on the <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=219" target="_blank">Siemens S56</a>, which I remember to be the North American version of the S55, right?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Yeah, it'll be the S56 here. Your link is wrong, though. The correct one is <a href="http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=213" target="_blank">here</a>.

Though I notice it's listed here as dual band, whereas the S55 is triple band.
[quote]<strong>As for the T600, it looks to be a decent phone with good PIM and Bluetooth for synching. I wonder how soon Apple will have Bluetooth in all Macs so that we can avoid those Bluetooth USB dongles. I don't like dongles (although I could probably live with a dongle attached to my iMac's keyboard, but not to my iBook).</strong><hr></blockquote>
Where have you found information on the T600? According to all Sony Ericsson's information, the T600 has neither Bluetooth nor GPRS.

It is a little strange that Bluetooth hasn't appeared in Macs yet, especially the 'Books. Perhaps we should expect a big announcement tying in new hardware (or a new combo AirPort card) and iSync 1.0?
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #88 of 100
<strong>Though I notice it's listed here as dual band, whereas the S55 is triple band.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah. What's up with that? If I'm going to buy any GSM phone it absolutely and unconditionally has to be tri-band. My hope is that PhoneScoop's info is incomplete. I'm really curious to see how the S56's Bluetooth, SyncML and GPRS will work with Macs. If it works at least as well as with the T68i, I'd rather get the Siemens because it is 100 times more beautiful.

[quote]<strong>Where have you found information on the T600?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I confess that I was simply relying on statements from Harald and bradbower. Thank goodness I'm not a journalist.

[quote]<strong>Perhaps we should expect a big announcement tying in new hardware (or a new combo AirPort card) and iSync 1.0?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be incredibly sweet! I've often been slow at adopting new technologies (I didn't buy a CD-ROM until 1997 and still haven't burned a CD-R, even though I bought a burner 18 months ago). But this time I'm ready to jump into the fray. I'm just waiting for the optimal combination of hardware, software and services.

Escher
post #89 of 100
My S55 is on the way...
It will arrive this week. I ordered it with the Cam here in Germany in combination with a contract for 199 EUR (that is about 199 $). I will post pics this week/ or weekend.
Unfortunately I will not be able to try it with iSync because I don't have a bluetooth stick yet.
post #90 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by macrescue:
<strong>I will post pics this week/ or weekend.</strong><hr></blockquote>

We look forward to seeing your pictures and reading your review. Im voraus schon vielen Dank, macrescue. Ich freue mich ungemein auf deine Photos.

[quote]<strong>Unfortunately I will not be able to try it with iSync because I don't have a bluetooth stick yet. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't dispair. Just go out and buy one, before your S55 even gets to you. Seriously, I think it would be a shame not to be able to take advantage of the built-in Bluetooth of the S55. From what I understand, many different brands of USB BT adapters work with iSync, not just the D-Link one that Apple sells.

Escher

PS: You can click on the Edit button above your post to edit or delete its contents. (Unfortunately, you can't delete the post completely.)

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
post #91 of 100
InfoSync has a <a href="http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2814.html" target="_blank">review</a> of the S55. All in all, it looks pretty good. Assuming Apple keeps true in its implementation of SyncML and Bluetooth, it will hopefully work with iSync 1.0.
Chicanery.
Chicanery.
post #92 of 100
Stupid, Stupid Phone Companies.

I hate how my v60i doesn't round off minutes used to get an accurate estimate of how many minutes I actually use. Who cares that I used 10:11 when that probably translates into 13 or 14 minutes because of rounding. And I hate how the damn phone can't detect that it's after 9pm and whatever minutes I use don't matter because it's free after that time. It's just another way to make money off us.

Otherwise, I'm completely enjoying my free v60i. (Although I am using the perfectly annoying 1812 Overture ring-tone )

"Is that your phone ringing?"

post #93 of 100
Thanks to macrescue for the Siemens S55 pics in a separate thread.

I just got back from two weeks of good skiing. It's just crazy how many people use their mobile phones on the slopes and lifts! I felt like an outcast not being able to send and receive SMS messages on the chairlift.

I didn't have time for any specific research, but I can say the following from my trip to Switzerland and some duty-free shopping during my layover at Paris CDG. The Sony Ericsson T68i is on closeout sale everywhere. I have not doubt that it will be replaced soon. (Harald pointed out its impending replacement before.) The T600 is absolutely tiny in comparison to the T68i. Probably too small for my taste. It's a shame I didn't run into a P800. Would have loved to play with one of those myself.

Escher
post #94 of 100
Kind of late jumping in here but I went thgough the very same dilemma a while back. I had ATT TDMA service and wanted to get on the GSM service. Got a T68 and my service sucked. No reception inside of buildings and a limited service area. Changed phones to a Nokia, same problem. The I got a Siemens I49 which supposedly was able to perate on bot GSM and TDMA. Not the case or atleast they couldnt get mine to work, EVER.
post #95 of 100
<strong>The T600 is smaller than the T300, silvery-er, has Bluetooth, sort of like a better T68i. It has the features of both the T68i and the T300 that I like, without the crappy reception or the lack of PIM/Bluetooth function (respectively). Plus it's fairly rare, kind of unique.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I don't think the T600 has bluetooth, sorry..
Bill Bradley to comedian Bill Cosby: "Bill, you are a comic, tell us a joke!"
- "Senator, you are a politician, first tell us a lie!"
post #96 of 100
I finally gave in and got a new phone the other day. A Sanyo 4900.
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
PEACE--->Rhoq

iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM
post #97 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by New:
<strong>
I don't think the T600 has bluetooth, sorry.. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Take a look at Sony Ericsson's site.
post #98 of 100
<strong>
Take a look at Sony Ericsson's site.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I did.
post #99 of 100
[quote]Originally posted by New:
<strong>
I did.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cool, I was too lazy. Looks like you're right. Sorry.

Interesting that the T608 (Sprint) has color and BT. A little more than just a software flex in that model!
post #100 of 100
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Mobile phones