or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod speed

iPod speed

post #1 of 4
i have a 20 gig iPod and i have noticed lately that it has been really slow navigating through the songs...

has anyone else noticed this problem?

how can apple fix this? put a faster processor in there?
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
125/51041 (top .2449%)-Amie Street - awesome independent DRM-free music
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one...
post #2 of 4
[quote]Originally posted by Paul:
<strong>i have a 20 gig iPod and i have noticed lately that it has been really slow navigating through the songs...

has anyone else noticed this problem?

how can apple fix this? put a faster processor in there?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think this is related to the problem of slow scrolling in long contact files.

It appears that the iPod re-parses the list or contact text each step it makes in scrolling. The longer your song list, the slower scrolling will be. This appears to be a problem with the way the OS was written. The problem will only get worse as iPod storage capacity increases. until a) Apple adds a faster processor to the iPod; b) Pixo or Apple fix the OS.

The current workaround would be to break up your song list into playlists, and scroll through playlists instead of your entire library.
post #3 of 4
What size song libraries are we talking about?
post #4 of 4
Well, depending on song length/compression level, you could easily fit 5000 warbly songs on a 20GB iPod. If you browse by song title, the iPod displays the entire list all at once.

Actually, though, my 5GB pod displays and scrolls through all of my 1,269 songs instantaneously. Contrary to my prior post, the iPod apparently doesn't use the same algorithm to display the song list and notes. It could be related to automatic line breakage.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod speed