or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod Questions

iPod Questions

post #1 of 4
I'm thinking of purchasing an iPod but I have some questions:

1. How convenient is the remote?
2. Is the earphones on the 10 and 20 GB versions the kind that wraps around your neck on the back or is it the same kind as the 5 GB which hangs on the front?
3. Should I wait until Jan for a new version?

Thanks.
...nunc et in hora mortis nostrae...
...nunc et in hora mortis nostrae...
post #2 of 4
1. It's convenient if you're a woman. If you attach it to a man's button up shirt, it's upside down. But yes, it's handy... you end up with a little wad of wires though.

2. Hang down in front, but they're smaller. I can actually use them now.

3. No. You could be listening to music right now, you fool!

post #3 of 4
The remote is great. I use it in my car, clipped to my cup-holder, so it's nice and high (I have a VW Golf). My iPod can stay tucked away down by the ashtray.

The headphones are about 1-2mm smaller than the original models. They're still the ear-bud style and it can be a little tricky getting them to stay in at first. The foam covers (two pairs) help.

Buy now!! There is NEVER an guarantee when or IF Apple is going to update something.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: clonenode ]</p>
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
c l o n e n o d e
o n e o f m a n y
post #4 of 4
[quote]Originally posted by stevegongrui:
<strong>I'm thinking of purchasing an iPod but I have some questions:

1. How convenient is the remote?
2. Is the earphones on the 10 and 20 GB versions the kind that wraps around your neck on the back or is it the same kind as the 5 GB which hangs on the front?
3. Should I wait until Jan for a new version?

Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. if the iPod is clipped to belt or in bag, remote volume is better than twisting to find the scroll wheel or having to dig the iPod out.
mostly a convenience thing.

2. answered already

3. A leak out of apple indicates colour iPod planned for MWSF (with larger screen possibly rotated for widescreen aspect ratio) as an intermediate storage device for cameras, - including DV - since the new colour iPod will play quicktime movies back as well as .mp3

If you just want music, get one now...
If you want one portable firewire device that will do damn near everything, you can either resell your existing iPod right before MWSF, or suffer through the holidays waiting for the announcement of the next generation iPod.

best of all worlds would be if you can find a vendor who'll rent or lease you an iPod until January rolls around.

and no, i cannot reveal the source of the colour iPod leak at Apple, so don't ask... but when i heard, the info was prefaced with "actually leaked out of apple", not "rumour from outside the loop", so i'm inclined to give it more formal validation than the usual web wishlist

even after the colour iPod comes out, the current one will still rule as best consumer mp3 device, it'll only be second fiddle to iPodQT
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them" -Isaac Asimov
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iPod Questions