or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week

post #1 of 115
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to be planning the introduction of a new, 8-gigabyte variant of the iPhone 5c -- possibly as soon as this week -- in what could be a bid to turn around flagging sales of the plastic-backed device.

iPhone 5c
A purported internal email from German carrier o2


News of the change first appeared in a purported internal email from German wireless carrier o2, which will list the handset for sale at ?509 ($707), ?60 under the current ?569 ($791) cost of the 16-gigabyte model. The communique was obtained by German blog stadt-bremerhaven.de.

There is no word on what affect such an introduction would have on the availability of the iPhone 4s, which is currently the only iPhone available in an 8-gigabyte capacity and is often given away for free when consumers subscribe to a two-year service plan with a wireless carrier. Apple also sells an 8-gigabyte version of the older iPhone 4 in developing markets like China and India.

A move to replace the iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 could make sense, as those devices still use Apple's older dock connector technology and sport smaller, 3.5-inch displays rather than the 4-inch display introduced with the iPhone 5. Dropping the iPhone 4s from the international lineup would put all current-generation iPhones on a common platform as the company gears up to introduce the so-called iPhone 6, which is rumored to ship with a larger display.

Sales of the iPhone 5c have reportedly fallen short of Apple's internal estimates as consumers opt for the marginally more expensive iPhone 5s. Apple CEO Tim Cook admitted that demand for the iPhone 5c "turned out to be different than we thought" during the company's last quarterly earnings call.
post #2 of 115
This actually makes some sense, and is about the same time that last year they dropped the $199 iPod touch 4th gen and brought out the $229 rear camera-less iPod touch 5th gen. As some (myself included) speculated at the time, that pointed to the 4th gen being removed in time for WWDC, and allowed Apple to continue to provide every currently sold iOS device the iOS 7 upgrade. If this is true, then something similar could be happening, with iOS 8 being exclusive to lightning equipped iPhones.
post #3 of 115

This is what was expected.....at the time of launch last September it was said that instead of offering a $0 / 8 GB 5c, Apple would continue to offering the iPhone 4S for a limited period of time..it was unclear if this had to do with inventory or distribution channels, or the relative popularity of the 4S in certain markets at the time....but it was always known that while the 4S was going to be the $0 phone a while longer, it was not going to last the full 12 months. In fact, I think there were reports that said until early 2014....so its falling right in line.

 

What is funny is that Apple could have done this back in September, made an 8 GB $0 version....and totally padded the 5c numbers to offset all the whiney bloggers and analysts....but they did what made the most business sense instead.

post #4 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is what was expected.....at the time of launch last September it was said that instead of offering a $0 / 8 GB 5c, Apple would continue to offering the iPhone 4S for a limited period of time..it was unclear if this had to do with inventory or distribution channels, or the relative popularity of the 4S in certain markets at the time....but it was always known that while the 4S was going to be the $0 phone a while longer, it was not going to last the full 12 months. In fact, I think there were reports that said until early 2014....so its falling right in line.

What is funny is that Apple could have done this back in September, made an 8 GB $0 version....and totally padded the 5c numbers to offset all the whiney bloggers and analysts....but they did what made the most business sense instead.

If it was clear the 4S was doomed I don't remember reading it. And there is no $0 iPhone. And is it doomed? The price point for the lower iPhone 5c seems higher.

Maybe they should have done this from the start, maybe not. Hindsight is 20-20 vision. If they over calculated the 5S sales then they would have had room to introduce a lower priced version sooner. However they probably wanted to wait until the Christmas and Chinese New Year was over.
Edited by asdasd - 3/17/14 at 6:45am
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #5 of 115

so they are releasing a phone with a retarded 8gb of tiny space (this is 2014 last time I ckecked) to save 5$ on cost?  If they want to sell the 5c in volume they need to drop the price to $400 or below on the 16g models....

post #6 of 115
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
so they are releasing a phone with a retarded 8gb of tiny space (this is 2014 last time I ckecked) to save 5$ on cost?  If they want to sell the 5c in volume they need to drop the price to $400 or below on the 16g models....

 

Or, you know, do what they’re doing here. Because they know.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #7 of 115

It makes sense to have it replace the iPhone 4S. That would align all current iPhones to the same 4" display and Lightning connector.

post #8 of 115
well, this would presumably cost $450 like the 4S currently does. Pretty sweet for an iPhone, despite the low memory.

then again, i just bought a like new 32GB iPhone 5S for $500 on ebay. much better deal.
post #9 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Or, you know, do what they’re doing here. Because they know.

 

Hmmmm...

 

Ever since Cook announced that they didn't really know when it comes to the 5c... well, I'm not ready to accept that as an answer.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #10 of 115
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Ever since Cook announced that they didn't really know when it comes to the 5c... well, I'm not ready to accept that as an answer.

 

Uh… what? Sold better than the 4S did.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #11 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Uh… what? Sold better than the 4S did.

 

Doesn't matter.

 

Cook said it didn't live up to expectations. Sold lower than they were hoping.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #12 of 115
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Doesn't matter.

 

Fail to see how.

 
Cook said it didn't live up to expectations. Sold lower than they were hoping.

 

Guess that’s why they’re doing this, huh. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #13 of 115

I think 8GB of space is almost a slap in the face now days. I'm not even a big user of my phone as far as lots of apps and music and I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1 with a 16GB iPhone 5C. One thing I'd really like to see is the bottom end phone be 32GB instead of 16GB. Making the offerings 32/64/128 instead of 16/32/64. As people start doing more and more and Apple keeps making the cameras better and better it will use up the storage capacity even faster, especially with these lower capacities. 

 

Once you get a few songs on it and take a few photos that 8GB will be gone in a heartbeat. I know this is supposed to be a cheap offering but its sorta useless with the amount of space on it. 

 

That being said, I think it would be great to see the 5C offered instead of the 4S if thats what Apple intends on doing. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Doesn't matter.

 

Cook said it didn't live up to expectations. Sold lower than they were hoping.

 

imo they were expecting much better sales indeed. Beating the 4s sales is setting the bar very low on a redesign phone. The phone is Ok, its a matter of pricing.

post #15 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Or, you know, do what they’re doing here. Because they know.

 

Releasing a 8g phone is just plain insulting to me. Its like those guys are stuck in a loop and just cant innovate anymore. They doing this because thats what they usually do?  JC, unreal.

 

They could lower the number of colors so managing is easier , they are others ways than releasing a nerf phone. How about optimizing production and just drop the price?

post #16 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Fail to see how.

 

Guess that’s why they’re doing this, huh. Problem solved.

 

 

Is this the problem solver?

 

We don't this and obviously Apple doesn't know this. I've said it before. Apple isn't sure at this point why the 5c sold lower numbers than was expected. Do people just not like it as much as Apple thought they would, is it price, is it features.

 

I'd imagine this 8 gb model is testing the waters more than it is solving a problem.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #17 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

imo they were expecting much better sales indeed. Beating the 4s sales is setting the bar very low on a redesign phone. The phone is Ok, its a matter of pricing.

 

For a phone that was so heavily advertised... I'm sure that Apple thought its sales would come close to the 5s.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #18 of 115
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Releasing a 8g phone is just plain insulting to me. Its like those guys are stuck in a loop and just cant innovate anymore.

 

That’s you. You just don’t get it

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #19 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

For a phone that was so heavily advertised... I'm sure that Apple thought its sales would come close to the 5s.

 

I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S. That would almost be a slap in the face to Apple IMO. Still, in my area all I see for new iPhones are 5C's...I have yet to see anyone with a 5S. No one! This is a lower income area so it has to be working, at least in the US where they're subsidized. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #20 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That’s you. You just don’t get it

No a lot of people would find 8G limiting. It's basically the OS and a movie. 16G isn't much better.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #21 of 115
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post
No a lot of people would find 8G limiting.

 

Yeah, I know. Guess what? They’re not who it’s for.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #22 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S. That would almost be a slap in the face to Apple IMO. Still, in my area all I see for new iPhones are 5C's...I have yet to see anyone with a 5S. No one! This is a lower income area so it has to be working, at least in the US where they're subsidized. 

 

Why would it be a slap in the face for Apple?

 

(... and why would Cook say that has sold lower than expected? What the hell, do you think I make up this stuff)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #23 of 115

I don't see this as anything more than another supply chain play, and move to finally phase out the 30-pin connector from Apple's new devices.  This simply displaces the 4s as the entry level model (except in India, where the iPhone 4 purportedly remains available) in developed markets, and better optimizes the unused production capacity for the 5c. 

 

With any move like this under Tim Cook, you have to view it through the supply chain, since that's his background and his area of expertise.

post #24 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

That’s you. You just don’t get it

 

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook. Other than that its pretty worthless because there isn't enough space to do anything. They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #25 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Yeah, I know. Guess what? They’re not who it’s for.

 

Then who is it for? To me, its people who cannot afford to shell out money for a phone. That doesn't mean they don't want to do anything with it.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #26 of 115
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook.

 

WOW. It’s almost as though… huh. It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

 
They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

 

Given that updates are only a couple hundred megs, I’m certain they’ll be fine. Because, again, these people don’t care about this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #27 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

Why would it be a slap in the face for Apple?

 

(... and why would Cook say that has sold lower than expected? What the hell, do you think I make up this stuff)

 

Yes, we know Tim Cook said this. You don't have to keep repeating it. We're not retarded! This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying. Nobody really knows the expectations Apple had with the 5C. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #28 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

WOW. It’s almost as though… huh. It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

 

Given that updates are only a couple hundred megs, I’m certain they’ll be fine. Because, again, these people don’t care about this sort of thing.

 

It would be exactly what they want until they realize they can't do what they wanted on it because its out of space. Or, maybe they want to do other things with it and then realize that they can't for the same reason. Other than getting their phones over to the lightning connector, this does nothing for a customer. 

 

The updates are a couple hundred megs to download, but it requires over a GB of space to install. The iOS 7.1 update required I think it was 1.9 GB of free space even though it doesn't that large. I know this, because it made me remove things to install the 7.1 update. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #29 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post
 

It makes sense to have it replace the iPhone 4S.

 

Yeah, and get rid of the other capacity 5c iPhones.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #30 of 115
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

It would be exactly what they want until they realize they cant do what they wanted

 

This discussion is over. You’re trying to use tautology to pretend it’s not tautology.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #31 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

This discussion is over. You’re trying to use tautology to pretend it’s not tautology.

 

HAHA...its over because you can't be mature enough to have a discussion without insulting someone.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #32 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

Yes, we know Tim Cook said this. You don't have to keep repeating it. We're not retarded! This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying. Nobody really knows the expectations Apple had with the 5C. 

 

 

... and twice you've said that I implied that it should have shipped as well as the 5s. So I've got to wonder.

 

... and, yes, we do know Apple's expectations with the 5c. Greater than what they did sell.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #33 of 115
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

HAHA...its over because you can't be mature enough to have a discussion without insulting someone.

 

No, but I’m about to do some insulting. Explain how your use of the iPhone is identical to the use of the other two hundred million iPhone users and how everyone who wants or could potentially want an iPhone needs more than 8GB of space. That has been your argument thus far, so prove it.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #34 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

 

... and twice you've said that I implied that it should have shipped as well as the 5s. So I've got to wonder.

 

... and, yes, we do know Apple's expectations with the 5c. Greater than they did sell.

 

I only said it once...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #35 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

No, but I’m about to do some insulting. Explain how your use of the iPhone is identical to the use of the other two hundred million iPhone users and how everyone who wants or could potentially want an iPhone needs more than 8GB of space. That has been your argument thus far, so prove it.

 

Oh but I thought this discussion was over? I have yet to see that you have proof that they don't need more than 8GB of space. Its a 2 way street there buddy. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #36 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


If it was clear the 4S was doomed I don't remember reading it. And there is no $0 iPhone. And is it doomed? The price point for the lower iPhone 5c seems higher.

 

In the US Apple store the 8GB 4S is $0 with contract.  In Japan, all carriers offer a 16GB 5S for free with a two year contract.

post #37 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

I only said it once...

 

"I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S."

 

"This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying."

 

Twice.

 

So, now I really am wondering.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #38 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

"I think its a bit optimistic to expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S."

 

"This doesn't mean they expected it to ship as well as the 5S which is what you're implying."

 

Twice.

 

So, now I really am wondering.

 

Keep wondering...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #39 of 115
It sounds like the coming 8GB iPhone 6 will be the one to go head to head with the Moto G.

Losing 8GB likely saves Apple a dollar or two in production costs, enough to produce a more competitive screen.
post #40 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

It sounds like the coming 8GB iPhone 6 will be the one to go head to head with the Moto G.

Losing 8GB likely saves Apple a dollar or two in production costs, enough to produce a more competitive screen.

 

An 8gb iPhone with a larger screen sounds like a real loser to me.

 

Won't people who are willing to shell out the extra bucks to have a larger screen be the same people who won't accept anything less than 32gb?

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week