or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week - Page 3

post #81 of 115

So additional colors would be nice: IMHO that casing would look very good in gray for instance.

post #82 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

No; they mean two different things. You're not thinking.

No they don't, you're over thinking :-)

post #83 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

I think 8GB of space is almost a slap in the face now days. I'm not even a big user of my phone as far as lots of apps and music and I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1 with a 16GB iPhone 5C. One thing I'd really like to see is the bottom end phone be 32GB instead of 16GB. Making the offerings 32/64/128 instead of 16/32/64. As people start doing more and more and Apple keeps making the cameras better and better it will use up the storage capacity even faster, especially with these lower capacities. 

 

Once you get a few songs on it and take a few photos that 8GB will be gone in a heartbeat. I know this is supposed to be a cheap offering but its sorta useless with the amount of space on it. 

 

That being said, I think it would be great to see the 5C offered instead of the 4S if thats what Apple intends on doing. 

 

Uh, i think this has been gone through before.  Just make iphone expandable with a 128gb card, problem solved.  

post #84 of 115

Yeah, the fact that the storage sizes haven't really changed much since 2009 is sad.

 

Although this move doesn't telegraph it, I'm hoping Apple will take the lead and start being a bit more generous. Memory is so cheap. 8GB borders on pathetic in 2014.

post #85 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
 

 

Uh, i think this has been gone through before.  Just make iphone expandable with a 128gb card, problem solved.  

 

Uh no....This would make it so they'd have to design a way for a card slot to work without making thicker, wider, etc. Just put 128GB in as standard...problem solved!

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #86 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

so they are releasing a phone with a retarded 8gb of tiny space (this is 2014 last time I ckecked) to save 5$ on cost?  If they want to sell the 5c in volume they need to drop the price to $400 or below on the 16g models....

 

My Galaxy S4 came with around that much useable space and it cost way more than $400.

 

Should the S5 also be less than $400 given that it will have even less useable space?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #87 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

 

Releasing a 8g phone is just plain insulting to me. Its like those guys are stuck in a loop and just cant innovate anymore. They doing this because thats what they usually do?  JC, unreal.

 

They could lower the number of colors so managing is easier , they are others ways than releasing a nerf phone. How about optimizing production and just drop the price?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook. Other than that its pretty worthless because there isn't enough space to do anything. They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

 

 

I guess you won't be getting a Galaxy S5, then.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #88 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think 8GB of space is almost a slap in the face now days. I'm not even a big user of my phone as far as lots of apps and music and I had to delete things just to install iOS 7.1 with a 16GB iPhone 5C. One thing I'd really like to see is the bottom end phone be 32GB instead of 16GB. Making the offerings 32/64/128 instead of 16/32/64. As people start doing more and more and Apple keeps making the cameras better and better it will use up the storage capacity even faster, especially with these lower capacities. 

Once you get a few songs on it and take a few photos that 8GB will be gone in a heartbeat. I know this is supposed to be a cheap offering but its sorta useless with the amount of space on it. 

That being said, I think it would be great to see the 5C offered instead of the 4S if thats what Apple intends on doing. 

Push more often to the iCloud... I have 16GB iPhone 5 and I've found the iCloud is an easy place to store some of my music and much of my photos. Apple has made the camera better but unlike Samsung didn't do it by making the the pixel count ridiculously high. Thank God!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #89 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

No they don't, you're over thinking :-)

"different than we thought" and "didn't live up to our expectations" mean different things. If you think they mean the same, then I have overestimated your intelligence.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #90 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


Push more often to the iCloud... I have 16GB iPhone 5 and I've found the iCloud is an easy place to store some of my music and much of my photos. Apple has made the camera better but unlike Samsung didn't do it by making the the pixel count ridiculously high. Thank God!

 

I still agree with his point. You can't be constantly pushing to the cloud. The iPhone captures full HD Video! I think my 32GB is good but an 8GB iPhone is a bit silly in 2014.

post #91 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

"different than we thought" and "didn't live up to our expectations" mean different things. If you think they mean the same, then I have overestimated your intelligence.

I'd say based on that reply, you overestimate a lot of things. Enough said.

post #92 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

I'd say based on that reply, you overestimate a lot of things. Enough said.

 

It's okay, man, Ben Frost is in the very small percentage of people who still believe that Cook meant that the 5c was selling to expectations.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #93 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is what was expected.....at the time of launch last September it was said that instead of offering a $0 / 8 GB 5c, Apple would continue to offering the iPhone 4S for a limited period of time..it was unclear if this had to do with inventory or distribution channels, or the relative popularity of the 4S in certain markets at the time....but it was always known that while the 4S was going to be the $0 phone a while longer, it was not going to last the full 12 months. In fact, I think there were reports that said until early 2014....so its falling right in line.

What is funny is that Apple could have done this back in September, made an 8 GB $0 version....and totally padded the 5c numbers to offset all the whiney bloggers and analysts....but they did what made the most business sense instead.
I would assume that 4S parts saved a lot more $$ than they do now and that would be another reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WOW. It’s almost as though… huh. It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

Given that updates are only a couple hundred megs, I’m certain they’ll be fine. Because, again, these people don’t care about this sort of thing.
Someone who updates to IOS 8(let's say 2gb) with 3gb currently full by software will have 3gb to them self at least so it really is for a low amount user, however in mind someone using a Samsung would go from 8 of 16 to 5 out 8(at least) so it would go great.
post #94 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
 

 

It's okay, man, Ben Frost is in the very small percentage of people who still believe that Cook meant that the 5c was selling to expectations.

Now you're putting words in my mouth! I never stated that I believe that Cook meant that the 5c was selling to expectations. I'm very wary of people who put words in others' mouths, as it is a form of lying.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #95 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Now you're putting words in my mouth! I never stated that I believe that Cook meant that the 5c was selling to expectations. I'm very wary of people who put words in others' mouths, as it is a form of lying.

Not to gang up on you but. "Different than we thought" can't mean "met expectations" it has to mean didn't meet, or exceeded expectations. I assume you don't really think the latter so it has to be the former, and you are being semantic. If you do think that the 5C sold better than internal apple projections you should come out and say that.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #96 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
 

I don't see this as anything more than another supply chain play, and move to finally phase out the 30-pin connector from Apple's new devices.  This simply displaces the 4s as the entry level model (except in India, where the iPhone 4 purportedly remains available) in developed markets, and better optimizes the unused production capacity for the 5c. 

 

With any move like this under Tim Cook, you have to view it through the supply chain, since that's his background and his area of expertise.

 

Agree.  

 

Though with any other manufacturer the difference in the retail price of two devices with 8G difference of storage would be marginal.  By not slashing the price enough and instead offering an 8Gig model Apple is going to have a hard time getting much of a response except for "Big whoop."

 

I disagree with those saying there's no market for an 8Gig device in general.  Having done such a remarkable job putting iPads and Minis on the street, there's now a new niche of people who have a tablet for all their movies and music and apps, and some need a new phone soon.  So their phone will not be where any of their media lives.   Plus, most people I know who have gotten into streaming services the past year (which is a lot) don't really keep much on their phone anyway, rarely videos, never bigger than youtubes.  Can't use an HD feature for file size needs because that would never enter into the equation.  For them it's all homemade streaming channels that take up no space.

 

Still, it's a tough sell to make what seems clearly NOT a strategic market plan beyond the supply chain move and dress it up in enough razzle dazzle to make the 5c be seen as the prom queen instead of the old maid.  (And we have a 5c in the family and I think it's great)

post #97 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post


I would assume that 4S parts saved a lot more $$ than they do now and that would be another reason.
Someone who updates to IOS 8(let's say 2gb) with 3gb currently full by software will have 3gb to them self at least so it really is for a low amount user, however in mind someone using a Samsung would go from 8 of 16 to 5 out 8(at least) so it would go great.

Yep, as I keep saying, with Tim Cook you have to look at the supply chain implications before you look into any other reasons for any move that Apple makes.  Demand for the 4s might have simply reached a point where the 5c costs less to produce, and ending production of the 4/4s form factor made sense cost wise and happens to fit better with their long-range product map.  The 5c seems to have plenty of unused production capacity and the only change involves the amount of storage.  This would make for an easy transition if you look at it through Cook's supply chain prism.

 

As far as 8 GB goes, there apparently remains enough demand to keep that option and price point around.  If Apple prices the 8 GB 5c the same as the 4s, then the buyer actually gets a faster and better featured phone with a bigger screen for the same price.  Regardless of what anyone thinks about 8 GB of storage, any shortage on the 8 GB 5c would also apply to the 4s. 

 

Keep in mind that in much of the rest of the world, people pay for the true (i.e., unsubsidized) cost of the phone.  For them, there is no such thing as a "free" phone, and that's where $100 here and $100 there can quickly add up. 

post #98 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 
Guess that’s why they’re doing this, huh. Problem solved.

 

No, because the real reason the 5C isn't selling very well compared to the 5S is those hideous colors! :lol:

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #99 of 115
I feel sorry for those, likely new to the iPhone, users who go for an 8GB iPhone.
It's far too little memory for iOS7.
Looking at the 8GB iPhone4S at the Apple retail store, I see about 1GB left for user Apps and data.
Apple; this is not the way to gain happy iPhone users.

BTW my 16GB iPhone 4 runs very well with iOS7, which I like, but I had to delete quite a few files to upgrade from iOS5 to iOS7.
post #100 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM View Post
 
In the US Apple store the 8GB 4S is $0 with contract.  In Japan, all carriers offer a 16GB 5S for free with a two year contract.

 

How does the cost of the monthly plan in Japan compare to a similar plan in the USA? I'll bet it's about $10/month more, which over 24 months would cover the difference in price between the two phones.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #101 of 115

An 8GB iPhone is almost a feature phone.

 

An 8GB 5C may not be a replacement for the 4S (at least for now) but something intended to create a more gradual upsell path in some international markets. Consider the difference in cost for each base iPhone model in the US and the Australian Apple stores.

 

Outright price as per the US Apple Store

iPhone 4S 08 GB US$450 
iPhone 5C 16 GB US$549 (+$99)
iPhone 5S 16 GB US$649 (+$100)

 

Outright price as per the Australian Apple Store

iPhone 4S 08 GB AUD$529 
iPhone 5C 16 GB AUD$739 (+$210) WOW!
iPhone 5S 16 GB AUD$869 (+$130)

post #102 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


Not to gang up on you but. "Different than we thought" can't mean "met expectations" it has to mean didn't meet, or exceeded expectations. I assume you don't really think the latter so it has to be the former, and you are being semantic. If you do think that the 5C sold better than internal apple projections you should come out and say that.

Yet again, someone is making presumptions about what I think. I repeat once again: Tim Cook has never stated what Apple's expectations for the iPhone 5C are, or whether they have met them or not. You're just assuming that Tim Cook saying 'different than we thought' = 'missed expectations.' That's your interpretation, but you can't possibly extrapolate that into saying that Tim Cook stated that the iPhone 5c missed expectations. 

 

My interpretation of Tim Cook's statement is that Apple probably didn't know how many the iPhone 5c was going to sell. They probably have quite a wide estimation of sales due to the change in their product strategy. In other words-to ask whether the iPhone 5c missed estimations is the wrong question, in the sense that I don't feel that Apple had any expectations of a particular sales number to beat. 'Different than we thought' could mean all kinds of different things. It could mean that sales started very strongly but then tailed off; or sales were stronger than expected in certain regions but less in others; or that one colour sold much more strongly than others. The point is, all we can do is speculate, which is fine, but what we can't do is say that Tim Cook admitted to missing expectations on the iPhone 5c. The reason several anti-Apple people on AI are saying that is because the interviewer used that expression in his dishonest question, and so it has become the status quo. Tim Cook avoided the question, partly I imagine because Apple rarely ever breaks down sales within models.

 

It's important to listen carefully to what people say. Not listening leads to the misinterpretation which you and several others here are guilty of. Lies generally start small and subtle; that is the nature of evil.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #103 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

Yet again, someone is making presumptions about what I think. I repeat once again: Tim Cook has never stated what Apple's expectations for the iPhone 5C are, or whether they have met them or not. You're just assuming that Tim Cook saying 'different than we thought' = 'missed expectations.' That's your interpretation, but you can't possibly extrapolate that into saying that Tim Cook stated that the iPhone 5c missed expectations. 

 

My interpretation of Tim Cook's statement is that Apple probably didn't know how many the iPhone 5c was going to sell. They probably have quite a wide estimation of sales due to the change in their product strategy. In other words-to ask whether the iPhone 5c missed estimations is the wrong question, in the sense that I don't feel that Apple had any expectations of a particular sales number to beat. 'Different than we thought' could mean all kinds of different things. It could mean that sales started very strongly but then tailed off; or sales were stronger than expected in certain regions but less in others; or that one colour sold much more strongly than others. The point is, all we can do is speculate, which is fine, but what we can't do is say that Tim Cook admitted to missing expectations on the iPhone 5c. The reason several anti-Apple people on AI are saying that is because the interviewer used that expression in his dishonest question, and so it has become the status quo. Tim Cook avoided the question, partly I imagine because Apple rarely ever breaks down sales within models.

 

It's important to listen carefully to what people say. Not listening leads to the misinterpretation which you and several others here are guilty of. Lies generally start small and subtle; that is the nature of evil.

Tim's exact words were "the mix was something very different than we thought”.

Not "a little different", not "somewhat different" but "very different".

 

There's no misinterpretation here.

 

We are speculating that TC meant missed sales expectations, you are speculating something else (what I have absolutely no idea), the burden of evidence is in favor of the former.

post #104 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Tim's exact words were "the mix was something very different than we thought”.
Not "a little different", not "somewhat different" but "very different".

There's no misinterpretation here.

We are speculating that TC meant missed sales expectations, you are speculating something else (what I have absolutely no idea), the burden of evidence is in favor of the former.

That still tells you nothing about expectations! You can interpret it to mean anything you like, but it's still just an interpretation or speculation. You can't pronounce that Tim Cook stated that the iPhone 5c missed expectations, which is what the crux of this argument is about. It may seem a small difference, but it's not; if I disagree with your interpretation, I'm not making a value judgment because a guess is a guess. But if you state that Tim Cook said something that he didn't, I will make a value judgement of you because twisting someone's words, however subtly, is a lie.

And these things happen all the time. Just today, someone twisted TS's post: he was talking about 7" tablets and the other person quoted him as saying 7-8" tablets. Insinuous and unwise to tolerate.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #105 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post
 

Yet again, someone is making presumptions about what I think. I repeat once again: Tim Cook has never stated what Apple's expectations for the iPhone 5C are, or whether they have met them or not. You're just assuming that Tim Cook saying 'different than we thought' = 'missed expectations.' That's your interpretation, but you can't possibly extrapolate that into saying that Tim Cook stated that the iPhone 5c missed expectations. 

 

My interpretation of Tim Cook's statement is that Apple probably didn't know how many the iPhone 5c was going to sell. They probably have quite a wide estimation of sales due to the change in their product strategy. In other words-to ask whether the iPhone 5c missed estimations is the wrong question, in the sense that I don't feel that Apple had any expectations of a particular sales number to beat. 'Different than we thought' could mean all kinds of different things. It could mean that sales started very strongly but then tailed off; or sales were stronger than expected in certain regions but less in others; or that one colour sold much more strongly than others. The point is, all we can do is speculate, which is fine, but what we can't do is say that Tim Cook admitted to missing expectations on the iPhone 5c. The reason several anti-Apple people on AI are saying that is because the interviewer used that expression in his dishonest question, and so it has become the status quo. Tim Cook avoided the question, partly I imagine because Apple rarely ever breaks down sales within models.

 

It's important to listen carefully to what people say. Not listening leads to the misinterpretation which you and several others here are guilty of. Lies generally start small and subtle; that is the nature of evil.

 

It's good to not make too much of an assumption, but here you're putting much more of a spin on the quotes and story than those simply going with what Cook was clearly implying.   There really aren't a whole lot of ways to interpret "Different than we thought" in this context.

post #106 of 115
If you want to turn around the 5C's flagging sales redesign it from the ground up to reflect Apple's design aesthetic and appeal to regular customers. 1wink.gif
post #107 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

It's good to not make too much of an assumption, but here you're putting much more of a spin on the quotes and story than those simply going with what Cook was clearly implying.   There really aren't a whole lot of ways to interpret "Different than we thought" in this context.

I disagree. Apple set new records for sales of iPhones when the 5s and 5c and Tim Cook explicitly stated that he was delighted with the numbers. For him to say that the mix was a lot different than we thought I interpret as meaning just that; it's not a positive or a negative. If they sold more 5ss than expected, great, but it still doesn't mean they missed expectations for the iPhone 5c; it suggests that the mix was very different than Apple thought, which is precisely what Tim Cook said, as you helpfully referenced. When the analyst who questioned Mr. Cook lept to his conclusion that the iPhone 5c had missed expectations, Tim didn't address the point, but nonetheless made an honest statement about the mix. Everyone is saying it was just his roundabout way of admitting failure on the 5c, but it wasn't.

It's interesting how Chinese whispers become gospel. So many times the media call the iPad Mini a 7" tablet and thus talk about Apple changing their mind despite Steve Jobs' insistence that 7" tablets were DOA. An insinous lie.

I haven't read Sir Jonathan Ive's recent interview, just titbits here, but it sounds as though he has drawn attention to another little lie or meme—that the general public don't care about quality, but just settle for cheap and nasty. He talks about how everyone is surrounded by badly-made things. The insinous lie is that therefore we don't care. When, in fact, people do care, but there has been such a culture of assumption and low standards that the mantra of 'don't care' has become gospel, even though it's not based on truth.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #108 of 115

I don't see why anybody should complain about Apple offering an 8GB phone. It's simply one more option. If somebody needs more space, they'll buy the next model up.

 

8GB might not be enough for most people, it definitely isn't for me, but for others, 8GB will be just fine.

 

Don't project your own needs and your own usage methods onto others.

 

A person who just needs a phone and internet capabilities and is not likely to store music or videos or have a ton of apps can get by with 8GB. Somebody can have iTunes Match and have access to their entire song library, without it taking up space on the phone. Even movies can be seen through streaming services.

post #109 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't see why anybody should complain about Apple offering an 8GB phone. It's simply one more option. If somebody needs more space, they'll buy the next model up.

8GB might not be enough for most people, it definitely isn't for me, but for others, 8GB will be just fine.

Don't project your own needs and your own usage methods onto others.

A person who just needs a phone and internet capabilities and is not likely to store music or videos or have a ton of apps can get by with 8GB. Somebody can have iTunes Match and have access to their entire song library, without it taking up space on the phone. Even movies can be seen through streaming services.

Exactly. iTunes Match plus online access to iTunes purchases means you can save a lot of space if you need to.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #110 of 115
They will replace the 4S with the 8GB 5C, and the iPad 2 with the iPad 4. It's a greta move, and makes perfect sense. They will get rid of all non-lightning connector devices this way, as well as anything that likely wont get iOS8.
post #111 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

They will replace the 4S with the 8GB 5C, and the iPad 2 with the iPad 4. It's a greta move, and makes perfect sense. They will get rid of all non-lightning connector devices this way, as well as anything that likely wont get iOS8.

Don't they still sell the iPhone 4 in China?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #112 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post
 

 

No, you don't get it. An 8GB phone isn't even worth buying unless you just want to make calls on it and check email, and do Facebook. Other than that its pretty worthless because there isn't enough space to do anything. They'll be lucky to be able to install an iOS 7 updates down the road without deleting a bunch of stuff. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


I disagree. Apple set new records for sales of iPhones when the 5s and 5c and Tim Cook explicitly stated that he was delighted with the numbers. For him to say that the mix was a lot different than we thought I interpret as meaning just that; it's not a positive or a negative. If they sold more 5ss than expected, great, but it still doesn't mean they missed expectations for the iPhone 5c; it suggests that the mix was very different than Apple thought, which is precisely what Tim Cook said, as you helpfully referenced. When the analyst who questioned Mr. Cook lept to his conclusion that the iPhone 5c had missed expectations, Tim didn't address the point, but nonetheless made an honest statement about the mix. Everyone is saying it was just his roundabout way of admitting failure on the 5c, but it wasn't.

It's interesting how Chinese whispers become gospel. So many times the media call the iPad Mini a 7" tablet and thus talk about Apple changing their mind despite Steve Jobs' insistence that 7" tablets were DOA. An insinous lie.

I haven't read Sir Jonathan Ive's recent interview, just titbits here, but it sounds as though he has drawn attention to another little lie or meme—that the general public don't care about quality, but just settle for cheap and nasty. He talks about how everyone is surrounded by badly-made things. The insinous lie is that therefore we don't care. When, in fact, people do care, but there has been such a culture of assumption and low standards that the mantra of 'don't care' has become gospel, even though it's not based on truth.

 

Cook was probably referring to listening to the bloody bozo's on Wall St, who were clamouring for Apple to release a cheap plastic iPhone because that was the way to gain market share.

 

I don't think he'll give in to those clowns again.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #113 of 115
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Someone who updates to IOS 8(lets say 2gb) with 3gb currently full by software

 

iOS is 3GB now? Wow.

post #114 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If you want to turn around the 5C's flagging sales redesign it from the ground up to reflect Apple's design aesthetic and appeal to regular customers. 1wink.gif

lol: That's what the 5s is for.

post #115 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post


Don't they still sell the iPhone 4 in China?

Probably: but it's not compatible with China Mobile's LTE system: the 5c is.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple to launch lower-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c this week