or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple

Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple - Page 4

post #121 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

When jobs was taking about shaving off fingertips - a disengenous argument given the size of the 3GS - he was talking about any tablet of that size. Probably he was just spreading FUD.

Jobs words are very clear if you choose to understand what he's saying. For instance, he also specifically referenced "the current lot" of 7" tablets are DOA, which in no means all tablets that are less than 9.7". BTW, which of those 7" are still being sold today?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #122 of 166
Quote:

When jobs was taking about shaving off fingertips - a disengenous argument given the size of the 3GS - he was talking about any tablet of that size. Probably he was just spreading FUD.

He was referring specifically to Android tablets, which at that time were 7" or smaller. I don't think he was spreading FUD, as Apple have never made an iPad that small, probably because of the reason Steve Jobs stated.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #123 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He also specifically referenced "the current lot" of 7" tablets are DOA, which in no means all tablets that are less than 9.7". BTW, which of those 7" are still being sold today?

Dunno. Since his argument was about the size of the screen it would be an argument against the mini too ( and all iPhones ) unless he had an ulterior motive. Which he had because the mini was probably being developed on his watch.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #124 of 166
Quote:

Dunno. Since his argument was about the size of the screen it would be an argument against the mini too ( and all iPhones ) unless he had an ulterior motive. Which he had because the mini was probably being developed on his watch.

His argument was for the poorly implemented tablets trying to compete with the iPad. His argument for a 7", 16:9 tablet running a poor OS and apps not idealized for that platform was spot on and Apple has yet to release any such equivalent.

post #125 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Where are numbers to back this statement up?

Given that iPhones are the biggest selling smartphone models.

Do I need a number? Just name a few major ones lately: HTC One2, GS4, GS5, Sony XperiaZ1/Z2, Nexus 5, MotoX... Are those enough to justify 5" screen phone is sweet spot. I guess so.

I Want My iOS UI Like in Apple Watch"
post #126 of 166
Quote:

No; the iPad Mini is significantly larger than 7", thus rendering your statement void.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #127 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No; the iPad Mini is significantly larger than 7", thus rendering your statement void.

.9" is significantly larger?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #128 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just watched an unboxing of the thing (because all official product images REFUSE to show it being held or used by anyone… for some reason… almost as if…), and roughly 1/3 of the screen was accessible with one-handed use. How is anyone on Earth stupid enough to buy this?!

“Well, they’re not using it as a phone…”

Maybe don’t buy a phone, then? I mean, on one hand you get people whining that “8GB is too small except for [action], [action], and [action]” and then dismiss it as unacceptable. There’s your “budget phone” for “emerging markets” right there! And on the other you get these things for which the same people would rape a badger to obtain and the product is physically unusable for its category regardless of the use case! 

Here’s a postulation, because you’re dead right about one-handed use. As a device gets thinner, the amount of curve to your hand hand required to hold said device becomes smaller, and thus your digits get a longer reach.

As such, a larger area becomes accessible to a thumb the thinner a device gets (to a point, after which it just becomes impossible to hold at all). I’ll have to grab some cardboard of different thicknesses and run some mockups, but I can say right now that no matter how thin the device is, anything above ~4.5” 16:9 is completely unusable. And maybe even smaller.

Correct on the thickness since it will allow you to hold/reach more.

Like you said, I think anything above 4.5" is unusable also for 1 handed and I'm thinking 4.4" is where they will go in size increase. Has anyone run the #s in terms of resolution vs pixels vs size increase?

Now again, I can see them coming out with something like the iPhone 'Note' or whatever you want to call it...a phablet that is 5" in size that targets a 'specific' market and maybe they emphasize Facetime on this device vs holding it up to your ear. I do know that the engineers at my post house would love to have something bigger then their iPhones but smaller than their iPad Minis that they can carry around with them while doing work/repairs/etc.

post #129 of 166
If Apple do this they will keep the 4". Then only two things can happens to relative upgrade numbers.

1) nothing. Because there is no demand for larger iPhones and they sell only as much as any new iPhone would.
2) something. Because there is a pent up demand from people with the 4 + 4s who are waiting for a significant design upgrade, and switchers from Android.

2 is more likely. Time to retire the one-handed argument since Apple have.

Well, I understand one-hand usability argument, but smartphones have evolved so much since the first iPhone in 2007 which nowadays we use it a lot more than just basic functions: talk and text, so phone size should evolve beyond basic usage. I'm not a fan of >5" screen Phablets, but I dont' deny that 5" phones are really okay for one-hand use (MotoX for example). 

Apple can always keep 2 sizes: 4" and 5", but I don't believe people would stay with the former one they try the latter. I was in the same boat a few years back when iPhone 5 was released. I thought it was the same as 4s, but once I used it, and when I looked at the 4s, it's like a midget..seriously, no discrimination tho.

post #130 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Doesn't sound much, but compared to, say, a Nexus 7, the iPad Mini has between 20 and 30% more screen if I remember correctly; it may be a little more. It's in particular because the screen is wider, making the iPad better for browsing in landscape, as well as reading in portrait.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #131 of 166
Quote:

Doesn't sound much, but compared to, say, a Nexus 7, the iPad Mini has between 20 and 30% more screen if I remember correctly; it may be a little more. It's in particular because the screen is wider, making the iPad better for browsing in landscape, as well as reading in portrait.

It's nearly 50% more display area.

Size . . . AR . . . Height . . Width . . . .Area
7.0" . . . 1.78 . . . . 6.1" . . . . 3.4" . . . 20.94 sq in
7.9" . . . 1.33 . . . . 6.3" . . . . 4.7" . . . 29.96 sq in

post #132 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

More analysts pump and dump rhetoric about Apple.  However, every time earnings announcements come along, Apple misses its numbers and the share price collapses.  Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline.  Nothing ever seems to materialize from it.  Apple will come out with a large display iPhone and they'll still continue to lose market share to Android.  Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones to satisfy investors.  Too many people around the world simply can't afford iPhones and Apple will likely charge more for their new large display iPhones which will cause the iPhone to lose even more market share.  It's a vicious cycle meant to ruin Apple shareholders.

"Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline."

I have no fucking idea how you are banned yet. Same shitty rant in every thread. Go find a new hobby. 

post #133 of 166
Quote:

Shut up. A watch is a “phone” in the same way that something with a 5.5” screen is a “phone”: not at all.

What if they can make phone calls?

post #134 of 166
Quote:

The S4, Note 3 and others have the camera in the centre of the phone behind the screen, unlike Apple where the camera is above the screen.

The S5 has a bump around the lens.

Do you mean the front or back camera? The front cameras on Samsung's phones are at the top right. That's why in selfie pics, the eyes don't look at you because the people are looking at the display.
post #135 of 166
Quote:

The solipsistic arguments here are amusing. I don't like larger iPhones so nobody should.

Then there is the strange one handed argument. Apple used to make that argument but it was as false as SJ's arguments against small tablets. However recently they've stopped making that argument; when Cook is asked about larger screens he doesn't say no and talk one-handed rot, but rather "when the technology is right".

Like nearly everybody I am using two hands to write this on an iPhone. One to hold it, the other to type. I do use one hand to scroll but that just means I need to be able to cup the phone and use my thumb, which I could do easily enough with a larger phone. In any case for most people except the one thumbed typists, the iPhone is dual handed. When typing. Which is fairly important. And many games.

If Apple do this they will keep the 4". Then only two things can happens to relative upgrade numbers.

1) nothing. Because there is no demand for larger iPhones and they sell only as much as any new iPhone would.
2) something. Because there is a pent up demand from people with the 4 + 4s who are waiting for a significant design upgrade, and switchers from Android.

2 is more likely. Time to retire the one-handed argument since Apple have.

I wouldn't even consider a phone that takes up too much pocket space.  3.5 4:3 is best.

post #136 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

Where are numbers to back this statement up?

Given that iPhones are the biggest selling smartphone models.

Do I need a number? Just name a few major ones lately: HTC One2, GS4, GS5, Sony XperiaZ1/Z2, Nexus 5, MotoX... Are those enough to justify 5" screen phone is sweet spot. I guess so.

There have likely been sold more 3.5 inch iPhones than all of those put together.

post #137 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Guess what?

iPhones outsell all of them added together.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #138 of 166
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's nearly 50% more display area.

Size . . . AR . . . Height . . Width . . . .Area
7.0" . . . 1.78 . . . . 6.1" . . . . 3.4" . . . 20.94 sq in
7.9" . . . 1.33 . . . . 6.3" . . . . 4.7" . . . 29.96 sq in

He knew EXACTLY what was meant by the original comment. As usual he's trying to make a point (very poorly) by picking only one aspect of size (diagonal) while ignoring the ones that really matter (aspect ratio and area).
post #139 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

He knew EXACTLY what was meant by the original comment. As usual he's trying to make a point (very poorly) by picking only one aspect of size (diagonal) while ignoring the ones that really matter (aspect ratio and area).

I thought he was being facetious, but ask a straight question, get a straight answer. I try to be straightforward with that kind of ambivalent question, as there's no harm done either way, and being straight with someone can be disarming.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #140 of 166
Quote:

I thought he was being facetious, but ask a straight question, get a straight answer. I try to be straightforward with that kind of ambivalent question, as there's no harm done either way, and being straight with someone can be disarming.

I was indeed being facetious.
post #141 of 166
Quote:

I was indeed being facetious.

Refreshingly honest.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #142 of 166
Quote:

Refreshingly honest.

I was going to add some 'that's what she said' type joke, but decided against it so I left it as such.
post #143 of 166
I am one of the people that will switch from Android if Apple puts out an iPhone with a larger screen. I have an iPad and I love it but I also have large hands and the current iPhones feel too small and delicate to me. My current Galaxy S3 is the perfect size for one-handed operation and I'd love to see the new iPhone approach that size.
post #144 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post

I am one of the people that will switch from Android if Apple puts out an iPhone with a larger screen. I have an iPad and I love it but I also have large hands and the current iPhones feel too small and delicate to me. My current Galaxy S3 is the perfect size for one-handed operation and I'd love to see the new iPhone approach that size.

Large hands? Lose some weight. Or file your fingers down.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #145 of 166

Personal Fact: I will consider a phone with a larger display when Apple makes it.

Personal Fact: I got a smaller screened tablet the moment Apple made it.

There was a time when I couldn't decide whether I preferred the weight and ease of the iPad Mini, or the screen estate area and resolution of the iPad 4th Gen. That changed when the iPad Air released.

post #146 of 166
Apple won't draw android users to a 4.7 inch screen, people want a larger screens for every day uses, look at the trend, people want big screens for everything also the camera specs are not up to par as some of the android phones, and the price is going to deter sales .
post #147 of 166

Apple has already shown that people become fairly price insensitive when it comes to their stuff.... the only real thing that's hurt them (and even that, not so much) is the screen size. The specs on the camera don't matter as much since the 5S still takes nicer pictures than most android phones with more pixels (the notion of quality pixels isn't new to those into photography). Naturally there will be some who just don't want to spend money, but those are the people who currently get the discounted crap android phones and then don't spend any money in the ecosystem. That's not a part of the android user base that Apple wants to attract anyway... Google can keep them :P That said, 4.7" isn't really all that big (a decent size, especially for a smaller person). I personally hope the 5.5-5.7" rumor is true, but I guess we'll see. I suspect they'll sell a ton of whatever they release, so the wish for a 5.7" iPhone (or iPad "nano" with calling ability as some suggest) is strictly a personal one. As a side note, I think 5.7" is about the cutoff for a phone becoming too ridiculous for phone use. I played with some android models in the store, and I while I can see my self having something the size of the Note III, the Mega really is a small tablet and just too damned big as a phone. That said, I'm 6 ft and I expect that those size cutoffs will be different for different people.... either way, I've been buying Apple for the software/relative security and I'll keep doing so, though I will not complain about more screen real-estate ;) 

Quote:

Originally Posted by strato View Post

Apple won't draw android users to a 4.7 inch screen, people want a larger screens for every day uses, look at the trend, people want big screens for everything also the camera specs are not up to par as some of the android phones, and the price is going to deter sales .
post #148 of 166
Quote:

If you don't want two devices, that's fine, but a phone will always be far inferior to an iPad for browsing and typing, two things which are obviously appreciated by the large number of iPad users.

Unfortunately the iPad is vastly inferior to the iPhone for making telephone calls because it can't.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

post #149 of 166
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
It’s almost as though there’s an entire category of people out there who don’t have iPhones for whom that would be EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT.

12 people is a category? Again: who’s dumb enough to want a phone that can’t be used as one?

Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post
He will eat those words and he will get the bigger screen iPhone and Then, and only Then will it be the best thing ever created....

I think I mentioned earlier that if they do make a unusably large screen phone, I’ll buy it simply to prove its unusability. Anyone else with a hand span over 9.5” want to do the same?

Additionally, I’ll have to ask you to stop making such claims. Basically, stop being an idiot. Anyone can see that you’re lying.

However recently theyve stopped making that argument

Nope, they’ve never stopped making it.

2 is more likely.

And your data points showing this are?

Time to retire the one-handed argument since Apple have. 

Except that’s not the case. They have half the market without a larger screen. They had half the market with the 3.5” screen. They’re always going to have half the market because half of the people out there are too cheap to buy quality or spend more to get the thing that isn’t just a dumbphone.

Yeah, nearly an inch is significantly larger on a device of this scale. How is this even a question?

Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

What if they can make phone calls?

My Mac Pro can make phone calls. It isn’t a phone. Holding it up to my face is idiotic, as is holding a watch to my face, as is a brick.

post #150 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post

MP doesn't equal all camera specs. What trend? Apple isn't going to make an iPhablet sized monstrosity. Wasn't "price" going to deter sales since 2007. I guess one day you'd be right.
post #151 of 166
Quote:

Android doesn't shut off the screen when holding the phone to your ear and making a call? Uhm, 'kay.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #152 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In a nut shell most of us don't want a massive amount of bulk in our pockets for a daily carry. IPad provides the perfect large screen solution when you really need it.

I agree - but as long as it's an option, I don't have a problem with it. I don't think they will sell as well as the analysts are convinced they will. I could see the first offering selling well for pent up demand, but past that I see it playing out like the matte displays on the PowerBooks. Much noise initially and then dropping as sales don't justify keeping the offering.
post #153 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Android doesn't shut off the screen when holding the phone to your ear and making a call? Uhm, 'kay.

Lol, you do know that's not a phone?
post #154 of 166
Lol, you do know that's not a phone?

Funny, it’s labeled as one, marketed as one, and sold as one.

I agree with you in that it’s wholly unusable as one, but I specifically picked something that was not a tablet. Not even a phablet.

post #155 of 166
Quote:

Funny, it’s labeled as one, marketed as one, and sold as one.

I agree with you in that it’s wholly unusable as one, but I specifically picked something that was not a tablet. Not even a phablet.

Really, which phone is that? I just thought it was a guy with a tablet to his ear. lol.gif
post #156 of 166
Really, which phone is that? I just thought it was a guy with a tablet to his ear. lol.gif

The Huawei Ascend Mate. Tagline: “**** you, I’m big.

WOW. Huddler blocks swearing. Never noticed because I don’t do it. 

post #157 of 166
Quote:

That's just ridiculous. Any phone 5" or more is way too big.
post #158 of 166
Quote:

Quote:
Really, which phone is that? I just thought it was a guy with a tablet to his ear.
lol.gif

Thanks for that link. What a godawful site. Anyway, they did made me read about this 27 inch table PC:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-and-ubisoft-deliver-cool-touchscreen-games-on-giant-27-inch-table-pc/

post #159 of 166
Quote:

isnt that pic of the ipad mini not the "howay the lads" monster?

post #160 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Unfortunately the iPad is vastly inferior to the iPhone for making telephone calls because it can't.

Then buy a $10 Nokia.
- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple