or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
 

I am waiting for a big screen phone to upgrade my 4s but it they rise the price, I am not so sure I will upgrade.

 

I dont see how this will make people switch from android to iOS?

 

I'm also willing to switch back to Apple, but only if the price doesn't exceed $199 with a 2-yr contract. 

post #42 of 166

Have a look at the posts in response to this article and that gives you a good indication of what most people think. Numbers of Samsung phones sold does not make it right! I wager that a lot of people who fell for the hype of a bigger phone will opt for a smaller one next upgrade cycle when they realise the error of their ways... Just MHO...

post #43 of 166

I think that 3.5 inches is the perfect size.  I can use the phone with one hand, and this is a dealbreaker if I can't.

 

And I can barely fit it in my pocket as it is.  Any larger, and no deal.

 

Those big screens don't really sell well anyways.

post #44 of 166

More analysts pump and dump rhetoric about Apple.  However, every time earnings announcements come along, Apple misses its numbers and the share price collapses.  Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline.  Nothing ever seems to materialize from it.  Apple will come out with a large display iPhone and they'll still continue to lose market share to Android.  Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones to satisfy investors.  Too many people around the world simply can't afford iPhones and Apple will likely charge more for their new large display iPhones which will cause the iPhone to lose even more market share.  It's a vicious cycle meant to ruin Apple shareholders.

post #45 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

When I leave the comfort of AI and go to general mobile forums I find there are some people who say they will leave Samsung et al. for the iPhone if a larger screen is available. Generally these are guys who are agnostic regarding the OS wars and often left iOS because of a bigger screen on other devices. Samsung is not doing it for them these days.

 

You're saying that these people in general mobile forums are only staying with android phones because of the large screen, and that they would move to iPhone if a large screen was available. Thus they have some reason they dislike android. That means either other hardware features, or the software. If these people dislike the software of android, that doesn't make them OS-agnostic, but rather the reverse: iOS-envious. And I think it's those people precisely whom Apple may win as "switchers" if Apple were to make a larger screen iPhone. But I'm not so sure they will do so.

 

Secondly, I think calling it an OS-war is a bit hyperbolic. Perhaps in a few limited circles, there is a "war" but I think that's a very small circle indeed.  I think most people consider there to be alternatives and choices.  The presence of choice does not a "war" make.

post #46 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

However, every time earnings announcements come along, Apple misses analyst numbers and the share price collapses.

1) Fixed that for you.

2) If you honestly felt that way you would have sold your stock by now. In fact, you never would have bought it for $700 in the first place.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 166

Count me among the silent masses that don't want a larger smartphone.  The flip side to the "my friends only bought Androids because of the larger screens" argument is the number of consumers that chose NOT to buy an Android phone because the flagship models only come with large screens.  The iPhone line remains the only smartphone in the 4" screen size that does not cripple the performance or strip away features in order to fit the smaller form factor.  What Apple did with the iPad Air and mini is a great example of how to do this right.

 

I would hope that Apple keeps the current body configuration intact if they decide to offer a larger screen size. With hundreds of millions of iPhones already out there in the smaller screen sizes, it would be foolish to presume that all those consumers view the smaller screen size as a compromise, rather than a preference.

 

The current 5c/5s form factor already pushes the limits of easy pocketability and one-handed operation as far as I'm concerned.  The Galaxy S series is already too bloated for my uses, and the Note models are ridiculous.

post #48 of 166

Come October: Apple fails to release larger screen iPhone, AAPL falls, Apple is doomed! The cycle repeats

post #49 of 166
I see people everyday I work switch from an iPhone to a Android device because of the the screen size. Does everyone want a larger screen? No. There are a ton of people who do though. I also see people switch from an Android device to an iPhone as well. Those people usually had one of the cheap Crappie Android phones though and get the free or cheapest iPhone. So that would make sense. There is a huge demand for a larger size as I've had people come back with the larger Android phone and say they'll never go back to a smaller size. Note that they didn't say they wouldn't get an iPhone again. Just that they'll never get a phone of a smaller size.
post #50 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I think that 3.5 inches is the perfect size.  I can use the phone with one hand, and this is a dealbreaker if I can't.

And I can barely fit it in my pocket as it is.  Any larger, and no deal.

Those big screens don't really sell well anyways.

Samsung was ridiculized on this pages for introducing a 7" tablet, now the 7" iPad is a best-selling product.

A 5" iPhone, possibly with a nearly edge-to-edge screen, in my opinion would be the new best-selling product.
post #51 of 166
Analysts are supposed to draw conclusions from data, not assertions.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #52 of 166
I've had 4 previous iPhones and I think a bigger screen would be great. I use mine for browsing more than anything. One handed operation, schmone-schmanded-schmoperation! Make it bigger!!!
post #53 of 166

If not a larger screen then what?

 

Where can Apple go with its design to attract more sales?

 

I think the mix of 5s and 5c is as good as it gets if Apple sticks with 4 inch phones.

 

Well, maybe not. Something better than the 5c might bump it up a bit... but then I think it really hits a ceiling.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #54 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I've had 4 previous iPhones and I think a bigger screen would be great. I use mine for browsing more than anything. One handed operation, schmone-schmanded-schmoperation! Make it bigger!!!

See, this is what I want. I currently use a larger screen Android. For my needs it's perfect. I will never ever use any of the current size iPhones as they are much too small for me. If Apple does decide to make a bigger screen I'll be one the first to buy one. I'm dying to get my hands on a iOS product of a larger size than currently available. Don't bring up the Mini as that's for a completely different use case for me. I want a all in one. Not two separate devices to lug around.
post #55 of 166
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post
Samsung was ridiculized on this pages for introducing a 7" tablet, now the 7" iPad is a best-selling product.

 

1. Rightly so, as 7” is worthless.

2. The iPad mini is not 7”.

3. Who says it’s the best-selling product?
4. It’s still too small to be usable.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #56 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. Rightly so, as 7” is worthless.
2. The iPad mini is not 7”.
3. Who says it’s the best-selling product?

4. It’s still too small to be usable.

Others would disagree that 7-8" tablets are too small to be usable. You should of said too small to be usable for you.
post #57 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple needs to get over waning the top and bottom bezels to be the same size for symmetry if they are going to continue to use a Home Button on the front.

They have to be symmetric to allow for holding it in landscape. They still have room to keep the symmetry while pushing the display to the edges:



That allows the display to be big enough that the difference between it and the hand brick (4.7") on the right is small enough to not matter and the same hand that can reach the middle of the top-left icon can reach the bottom-right corner.
post #58 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I think Apple can do it. As an example the MotoX really isn't physically that much larger than the iPhone 5S, but the display is significantly bigger.

 

So how many sold?

 

Twenty million, thirty?

 

Apple don't need such amateur niches.

 

Not one of these analysts can present Android sales figures broken down by screen size, not one.

 

One thing is for certain the most popular screen size is the 5c/5s screen size based on the simple fact that these are the biggest selling phone models.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #59 of 166

The size Nazis are out again. "No to a big phone!" " If people wanted a bigger phone why would they buy the current iPhone?!" Well I haven't bought a Android b/c I hate the software, so I've been buying iPhones for the software, but NOT the form factor. Don't get me wrong, it's OK, but I'd rather have a 5.5" phone and dump my iPad mini b/c the truth is, it just sits at home most of the time while the iPhone is with me everywhere I go. Now my wife would prefer something smaller so a 4.5" would make sense for her, and that's where these rumors of two phones sound good to me, but all this moaning and groaning from the "faithful" about how they wish they had a 3.5" phone against instead of a bigger one... well don't worry, they'll release an iWatch and you can have your precious small screen but for goodness sake stop trying to dictate what's good for the rest of us! 

post #60 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They have to be symmetric to allow for holding it in landscape. They still have room to keep the symmetry while pushing the display to the edges:

[images]

That allows the display to be big enough that the difference between it and the hand brick (4.7") on the right is small enough to not matter and the same hand that can reach the middle of the top-left icon can reach the bottom-right corner.

1) I assume that's Apple's reasoning but is that really going to affect usability by having the display start 2mm closer to the edge in one hand when holding in portrait mode? My feeling is that it won't affect usability but will affect symmetry.

2) Moving the display closer to the edge might be why Apple has waited. I think they want to make bigger iPhone just as they wanted to add LTE to the iPhone but they aren't going to do it before the technology is ready for them to make a killer product. With LTE that meant waiting for 3rd generation chips that were small and power efficient enough to be feasible, and for a larger display that could be moving the display to the edge, a higher pixel density for the foreseeable future without sacrificing battery life, GPU performance, or backlight brightness, and/or other features.


PS: At 4.7" that's 277.42 PPI. Is that enough for Apple to say it's Retina?
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/17/14 at 10:36am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #61 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

More analysts pump and dump rhetoric about Apple.  However, every time earnings announcements come along, Apple misses its numbers and the share price collapses.  Tim Cook is deliberately trying to ruin Apple shareholders with his mystery product pipeline.  Nothing ever seems to materialize from it.  Apple will come out with a large display iPhone and they'll still continue to lose market share to Android.  Apple simply can't sell enough iPhones to satisfy investors.  Too many people around the world simply can't afford iPhones and Apple will likely charge more for their new large display iPhones which will cause the iPhone to lose even more market share.  It's a vicious cycle meant to ruin Apple shareholders.

 

Hahaha!

 

Up $4.

 

Anyone who bought in at $700 was sucker played by the same analysts presenting the same crap an example of which is the premise of this article.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #62 of 166
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
Others would disagree that 7-8" tablets are too small to be usable. You should of said too small to be usable for you.

 

Sorry, “usable as a tablet”. How’s that?

 

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post
a 5.5 phone

 

That’s not a phone.

 
…they’ll release an iWatch and you can have your precious small screen…

 

Shut up. A watch is a “phone” in the same way that something with a 5.5” screen is a “phone”: not at all.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #63 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

Samsung was ridiculized on this pages for introducing a 7" tablet, now the 7" iPad is a best-selling product.

A 5" iPhone, possibly with a nearly edge-to-edge screen, in my opinion would be the new best-selling product.

You just contradicted yourself:
1. Smaller screen = best-selling product
2. Therefore larger screen = best selling product

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #64 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) That looks too big for my liking.

2) Apple needs to get over waning the top and bottom bezels to be the same size for symmetry if they are going to continue to use a Home Button on the front.

3) Didn't Tim Cook state, within the last few months, that Apple is looking into a larger iPhone but the technology isn't yet ready?

 

Maybe they can put the camera behind the screen like Samsung does, then have lower quality pictures or a lump to get more distance between the lens and the sensor.

 

An example was that shitty selfie that Ellen took at the academy awards where the quality dropped markedly away from the centre of the picture.

 

There is a reason Apple does things the way they do, not that their designers are any good or anything, right?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #65 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe they can put the camera behind the screen like Samsung does, then have lower quality pictures or a lump to get more distance between the lens and the sensor.

An example was that shitty selfie that Ellen took at the academy awards where the quality dropped markedly away from the centre of the picture.

I neither saw that pic of Musk or knew Samsung had such a product on the market.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #66 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I think that 3.5 inches is the perfect size.

Depending on what you're talking about, there is no perfect size. By the way, welcome to 2007.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #67 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

So how many sold?

 

Twenty million, thirty?

 

Apple don't need such amateur niches.

 

Not one of these analysts can present Android sales figures broken down by screen size, not one.

 

One thing is for certain the most popular screen size is the 5c/5s screen size based on the simple fact that these are the biggest selling phone models.

 

Uh huh. Apple doesn't want to sell an extra 20-30 million phones... phones that might otherwise be Samsung.

 

Sure. I'll go along with that.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #68 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

So if a larger screen will get some switchers, why not just make one with a 11.3” screen and get everyone to switch from Android?

Makes sense to analysts.


Users are switching from Apple to Android/Windows based phones and it's happening more and more... And the no.1 reason is display size. I've seen it done by some friends and lot's of business partners/co-workers, who said they are never going back to smaller 'iPhone' screen sizes once they jumped on bigger Androids. Even I am thinking doing it, if the iPhone 6 doesn't come out soon and has at list 4.5 if not 5 inch display!

post #69 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Count me among the silent masses that don't want a larger smartphone.

Just because about 20% of iPhone owners will chose the larger size doesn't mean Apple should make it. It's about having some choice. It's just like the iPad. And the MacBook Air. And the iMac. And iPods. The iPhone will prove to be just like that over the next year. And somehow you'll still manage to sleep at night.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #70 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Come October: Apple fails to release larger screen iPhone, AAPL falls, Apple is doomed! The cycle repeats

I'd literally bet my life on Apple doing a larger iPhone option this year. I'm better on either 4.6 or 4.7".
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #71 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I see people everyday I work switch from an iPhone to a Android device because of the the screen size. Does everyone want a larger screen? No. There are a ton of people who do though. I also see people switch from an Android device to an iPhone as well. Those people usually had one of the cheap Crappie Android phones though and get the free or cheapest iPhone. So that would make sense. There is a huge demand for a larger size as I've had people come back with the larger Android phone and say they'll never go back to a smaller size. Note that they didn't say they wouldn't get an iPhone again. Just that they'll never get a phone of a smaller size.

Quit bringing reality into this forum. Many people here such as Tallest live inside a distorted Apple bubble and like it that way.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #72 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sorry, “usable as a tablet”. How’s that?


That’s not a phone.

Shut up. A watch is a “phone” in the same way that something with a 5.5” screen is a “phone”: not at all.

Well millions of people use them very well as a tablet, and companies such as Apple keep making more. So, your opinion is a little different than others.

Funny how when I ask why people are switching to a larger screen size above 5", the most common answer is screen size. Once again, others have a different opinion than you. Another thing they say is that they want to get rid of having to carry two devices so the larger screen size fits the bill for them. All ages.

You're not right in what you're saying as people are different than you. Not everyone has to have the same thought process as you. If we did it would be a boring world.
post #73 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Sorry, “usable as a tablet”. How’s that?

Depends what you use your tablet for. If it's for watching movies/browsing the web I agree, 9.7 is a better size. But in terms of mobility and convenience, some people prefer to have the smaller form factor.

post #74 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

An example was that shitty selfie that Ellen took at the academy awards where the quality dropped markedly away from the centre of the picture.

Ellen doesn't use a Samsung phone unless they pay her to. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #75 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Depending on what you're talking about, there is no perfect size. By the way, welcome to 2007.

Nothing that person posts is sincere, just so you know the score.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #76 of 166
Not personally holding out for a monstrously large screen. Or maybe freakishly is the right word.

The bigger issue is why the story is written this way:
Quote:
Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple
By Neil Hughes

If Apple were to launch a redesigned iPhone with a screen size around 5 inches this year, it would become the "motherlode of all upgrade cycles" for the company, helping to reaccelerate year over year growth, one analyst believes.

when it should be more like this
Quote:
One analyst believes there is a demand for an iPhone with a larger screen and that such a device would both current iPhone users who want a larger screen and also attract Android users whose only reason to choose one over the other is screen size. IF Apple announced such a product, AND lots of Android users switched AND lots of iPhone users upgraded early THEN it COULD result in significant year over year growth. This would also setup the market to expect an even bigger screen the following year - which would then lead to crushing disappointment and predictions of Apple's doom when sales the following year fall far short of the number one analyst pull out of his arse - leading to a sharp decline in Apple stock price despite record setting profitability - providing an opportunity for the analyst and his buddies to snatch up Apple shares at artificially depressed prices
post #77 of 166

New smartphone screen sweet spot: 5". Apple may disappoint users again with 4.5" screen iPhone 6 to make them want more. I'm not surprised to see 4.5" 720p iPhone 6 at all. But if for God sake, Apple happens to release a 5" screen iPhone 6, it'll be a mother of all phones. Sale will be massive.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

 

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Reply
post #78 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post


Users are switching from Apple to Android/Windows based phones and it's happening more and more... And the no.1 reason is display size. I've seen it done by some friends and lot's of business partners/co-workers, who said they are never going back to smaller 'iPhone' screen sizes once they jumped on bigger Androids. Even I am thinking doing it, if the iPhone 6 doesn't come out soon and has at list 4.5 if not 5 inch display!

And vice versa.
post #79 of 166

I hate to see Apple going with the Sammy way...  

post #80 of 166
Originally Posted by Jume View Post
Even I am thinking doing it, if the iPhone 6 doesn't come out soon and has at list 4.5 if not 5 inch display!

 

Better just do it now, then.

 

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post
Funny how when I ask why people are switching to a larger screen size above 5", the most common answer is screen size.

 

What phone has a screen larger than 5”?! How is that usable as a phone?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Big-screen 'iPhone 6' predicted to drive massive upgrades, draw switchers from Android to Apple