or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play Games cross-platform multiplayer comes to iOS, stepping up competition with Apple's Game Center
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Play Games cross-platform multiplayer comes to iOS, stepping up competition with Apple's...

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
Multiplayer support in Google Play Games has gone multi-platform, with a new software development kit that allows gamers to compete with one another while playing titles on Apple's iOS, as well as Android and the Web.




Google announced iOS support for its Play Games SDK as part of the 2014 Game Developers Conference on Monday. The new services now expand multiplayer support to Apple's iOS, allowing for both turn-based and real-time multiplayer titles to be compatible on both iOS and Android.

In addition to competitive and cooperative multiplayer, Play Games also offers cloud saves, synced achievements, and leaderboards so players can see how their performance stacks up when compared to their friends and others around the world.

Also announced Monday as part of the Play Games SDK are game gifts, a new service that will allow gamers to send virtual in-game objects to other users. Developers also have access to enhanced statistics, while ad-supported titles will see the benefits of Google Analytics and in-app purchase ads.The social gaming network space is increasingly crowded, with options from Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and others now available on a variety of platforms.

Google Play Game services debuted on iOS, Android and the Web last year, as part of an initial response to Apple's Game Center for iOS and OS X. Google's family of services allowed features such as cross-device syncing of game save states, but Monday's new additions are the first time the search company has looked to expand to cross-platform multiplayer.

Google's announcement also comes as Microsoft is said to be working to bring its own Xbox Live service to Apple's iOS, as well as Google's Android. In addition to Apple's Game Center, the space on iOS is also occupied by Origin from Electronic Arts, as well as Scoreoid.

Amazon also has its own gaming social network, dubbed GameCircle, which it launched on Kindle Fire devices in 2012. Apple has offered Game Center on its mobile devices since iOS 4 launched in 2010, while cross-platform support with OS X debuted in Mountain Lion in 2012.
post #2 of 47

Why on Earth would anyone want this? Ever?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why on Earth would anyone want this? Ever?

I think it's something that developers would be interested in as much if not more than individual gamers.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why on Earth would anyone want this? Ever?

Because back on Earth half the world uses Android. It's nice to be able compete with everyone and not just iPhones. Apple would do well to provide an Android framework for Game Center. If Google didn't have roughly half the market your comment might make some sense. It's high-time Apple made a simplified WhatsApp-esque iMessage registration process for iPhones and released an Android version of iMessage so Apple devices can massage the other half of the smartphone planet without the need to download a cluster of other shitty apps. Why am I sending you weird symbols in my texts? Oh, I forgot my emoji don't work when I text you. Let's make this experience seamless, Apple, please. And let's crush WhatsApp as it's just getting going. Apple could ripoff WhatsApp's business model and charge $1 per year on Android and charge nothing on iOS. Or seeing as they have the dough and then some make iMessage free everywhere with no ads and better WhatsApp business model.
Edited by Ireland - 3/17/14 at 10:39am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #5 of 47
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Apple would do well to provide an Android framework for Game Center and to release an Android iMessage client.

 

You do actually believe this… :???::rolleyes: 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 47

I think Game Center will probably go away in favor of other Apple offerings and solutions in iOS8.  Personal conjecture, I know.

 

Apple could definitely have an Android section for connecting gamers.

 

Apple should separate the kinds of games that will run successfully on Android, since most Android users have much less processor speed, graphics power and memory available (just given the reality of how the Android platform is most successfully being used, at the low end).

post #7 of 47

Next up:

 

MS releases Xbox Live SDK for iOS & Android for cross-platform Xbox Live multi-player support.

post #8 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You do actually believe this… 1confused.gif1rolleyes.gif  

I do actually believe that.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

I think Game Center will probably go away in favor of other Apple offerings and solutions in iOS8.  Personal conjecture, I know.

Apple could definitely have an Android section for connecting gamers.

Apple should separate the kinds of games that will run successfully on Android, since most Android users have much less processor speed, graphics power and memory available (just given the reality of how the Android platform is most successfully being used, at the low end).

Great idea.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 47
Some services are better with a horizontal provider, I think this is probably one of them, especially since Apple don't seem to have much interest in building out Game Center.

I'd choose Steam over Google Play though, if Valve were to offer something similar.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #11 of 47

But most good games which utilize the game center require you to spend money, and we know Android users do not spend money. So iOS user will not have any one on the android side to play with. This is Google attempt to pull developer to their side.

post #12 of 47
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
I do actually believe that.

 

Despite all the times you’ve been shown how it would do absolutely nothing for Apple whatsoever?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #13 of 47
If you're a developer and you use this Evil Google crap, expect a 1 star review from me. F Google.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

I think Game Center will probably go away in favor of other Apple offerings and solutions in iOS8.  Personal conjecture, I know.

 

Apple could definitely have an Android section for connecting gamers.

 

Apple should separate the kinds of games that will run successfully on Android, since most Android users have much less processor speed, graphics power and memory available (just given the reality of how the Android platform is most successfully being used, at the low end).

 

Interesting to hear someone reference hardware specs to try to show that Apple products are better then Android products.  Normally referencing specs doesn't go over well at AI (for obvious reasons).

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because back on Earth half the world uses Android.

 

And 80% of the world population does not have access to running water.

 

And ants far outnumber Android users. At any given time, there are approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000 ants on planet earth.

 

My point is that Android users are irrelevant, and if I'm playing an online game, I would prefer to only play with Apple users.

 

My reasonable guess is that Android users are more likely to be using a cracked or hacked game, more of them are likely to cheat, and they are also more likely to be using a poor internet connection, with terrible ping times, lowering the quality of the online game for everybody who plays it.

 

I am definitely pro-segregation, and Android users should not be able to mix with Apple users, when playing online games.

post #16 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Despite all the times you’ve been shown how it would do absolutely nothing for Apple whatsoever?

 

You got me there. Get some rest.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

And 80% of the world population does not have access to running water.

 

And ants far outnumber Android users. At any given time, there are approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000 ants on planet earth.

 

My point is that Android users are irrelevant, and if I'm playing an online game, I would prefer to only play with Apple users.

 

My reasonable guess is that Android users are more likely to be using a cracked or hacked game, more of them are likely to cheat, and they are also more likely to be using a poor internet connection, with terrible ping times, lowering the quality of the online game for everybody who plays it.

 

I am definitely pro-segregation, and Android users should not be able to mix with Apple users, when playing online games.

my reasonable guess is either your trying to be witty or someone that should be segregated from most normal Apple and Android users.

post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post
 

But most good games which utilize the game center require you to spend money, and we know Android users do not spend money. So iOS user will not have any one on the android side to play with. This is Google attempt to pull developer to their side.

That is a lie and you know it.  Android users do spend money and I am one of them.  In fact Android users are spending more and more money seeing that Android has almost caught up to Apple in terms of developer revenue.  So it is time to leave the old ideas of 2010 behind.

post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

I think Game Center will probably go away in favor of other Apple offerings and solutions in iOS8.  Personal conjecture, I know.

 

Apple could definitely have an Android section for connecting gamers.

 

Apple should separate the kinds of games that will run successfully on Android, since most Android users have much less processor speed, graphics power and memory available (just given the reality of how the Android platform is most successfully being used, at the low end).

Not a true statement.

post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

Yeah, you might also get viruses because 99.95% of Android devices have them (source: Apple Insider).

Yeah the amount of Android with viruses is microscopic.  It is more like .1 percent have them and those are the ones that side load apps which is not the majority.

post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


Because back on Earth half the world uses Android. It's nice to be able compete with everyone and not just iPhones. Apple would do well to provide an Android framework for Game Center. If Google didn't have roughly half the market your comment might make some sense. It's high-time Apple made a simplified WhatsApp-esque iMessage registration process for iPhones and released an Android version of iMessage so Apple devices can massage the other half of the smartphone planet without the need to download a cluster of other shitty apps. Why am I sending you weird symbols in my texts? Oh, I forgot my emoji don't work when I text you. Let's make this experience seamless, Apple, please. And let's crush WhatsApp as it's just getting going. Apple could ripoff WhatsApp's business model and charge $1 per year on Android and charge nothing on iOS. Or seeing as they have the dough and then some make iMessage free everywhere with no ads and better WhatsApp business model.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

You do actually believe this… :???::rolleyes: 

 

 

I believe it in relation to iMessage for Android. It is a service to me, an iOS user. 

post #22 of 47
Who would want google software on IOS, the only app that google sells well is youtube?
post #23 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

My friend was trying an Android phone in the store and it had a virus on it, so he decided to buy two iPhones.  Similar story for other AI users, so I don't believe a single thing you said.

Would he have bought 4 iPhones if he had found 2 viruses?

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

My friend was trying an Android phone in the store and it had a virus on it, so he decided to buy two iPhones.  Similar story for other AI users, so I don't believe a single thing you said.

 

Care to share with us how your friend knew that the phone had a virus on it?

post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Who would want google software on IOS, the only app that google sells well is youtube?

Um Maps, Gmail, just to name a few.  A lot of people want Google software.  That is why they have some of the top apps.

post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

My friend was trying an Android phone in the store and it had a virus on it, so he decided to buy two iPhones.  Similar story for other AI users, so I don't believe a single thing you said.

Don't believe that for a second.  The only way to get  maleware on an Android phone is to side load an app.   You can't get one from the Play Store it just statistical improbable.  And the fact that Google scans every app downloaded on the phone and now even sided loaded apps the odds of getting one is insanely small.  But you are fact denier.  You are probably a republican aren't you?  Deny facts and make crap up.


Edited by HTC4LIFE - 3/17/14 at 3:16pm
post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post

Don't believe that for a second.  The only way to get a virus on an Android phone is to side load an app.   Those are the facts.  Look it up.  So if the phone had an app someone side loaded an app.  So your story is BS.

FWIW there's no such thing as Android viruses.. You probably meant the very broad category of "malware".
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I don't think there's viruses attacking Android phones anyway as there's no such thing. You probably meant the very broad category of "malware".

Was quoting the other guy who mentioned viruses but yes.  And malware on Android is but that doesn't take away from the point that it is pretty nonexistent for the mainstream customer.  Only those side loading apps are those ones who really need to worry.

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post
...

 

Wow HTC4LIFE, you have 8 posts out of the first 30 or so?

 

Nice (read: not nice) to see the Android evangelism is as alive and well on AppleInsider as on every single other website in existence:mad:

 

Seriously, we're all fanboys of somebody, but the Android fanatics take fanboyism to an entirely new level.  Ugh.

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Who would want google software on IOS, the only app that google sells well is youtube?

It was free last time I looked.

 

Not to mention, Google Maps, Google Search, Gmail, Chrome are all in the top ranking tier on app store.


Edited by patpatpat - 3/17/14 at 5:33pm
post #31 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

It was free last time I looked.

Not to mention, Google Maps, Google Search, Gmail, Chrome are all in the top ranking tier on app store.

If Google keeps it up the iPhone will be voted the best Android phone like the MBP was voted best Windows laptop. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


If Google keeps it up the iPhone will be voted the best Android phone like the MBP was voted best Windows laptop. lol.gif

To me, that is a beautiful thing. I have a mixture of devices phone5 ,nexus 5, ipad and nexus 7. The apps I use most..

Google Search

Chrome

Gmail

Google Maps

Google Translate

 

all work seamlessly across all devices (including on PC/Mac/Linux) 

post #33 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

To me, that is a beautiful thing. I have a mixture of devices phone5 ,nexus 5, ipad and nexus 7. The apps I use most..

Google Search

Chrome

Gmail

Google Maps

Google Translate

 

all work seamlessly across all devices (including on PC/Mac/Linux) 


Wow, talk about vendor lock-in.  Google must have quite the juicy dossier on you now!

FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
FEAR GOOGLE
Reply
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


Interesting to hear someone reference hardware specs to try to show that Apple products are better then Android products.  Normally referencing specs doesn't go over well at AI (for obvious reasons).

64bit...

...bwahahahahaha!
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

Yeah, you might also get viruses because 99.95% of Android devices have them (source: Apple Insider).

Link?
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC4LIFE View Post

That is a lie and you know it.  Android users do spend money and I am one of them.  In fact Android users are spending more and more money seeing that Android has almost caught up to Apple in terms of developer revenue.  So it is time to leave the old ideas of 2010 behind.

Samsung spend more on marketing in a week than HTC makes in a year...

...looks like the "4LIFE" will not be very long.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Because back on Earth half the world uses Android. It's nice to be able compete with everyone and not just iPhones. Apple would do well to provide an Android framework for Game Center. If Google didn't have roughly half the market your comment might make some sense. It's high-time Apple made a simplified WhatsApp-esque iMessage registration process for iPhones and released an Android version of iMessage so Apple devices can massage the other half of the smartphone planet without the need to download a cluster of other shitty apps. Why am I sending you weird symbols in my texts? Oh, I forgot my emoji don't work when I text you. Let's make this experience seamless, Apple, please. And let's crush WhatsApp as it's just getting going. Apple could ripoff WhatsApp's business model and charge $1 per year on Android and charge nothing on iOS. Or seeing as they have the dough and then some make iMessage free everywhere with no ads and better WhatsApp business model.

I don't share your desire for Android versions of iMessage and Game Center.

If you want to get in touch with someone cross-platform, you can ring them, text them or email them. That's three well-established methods. Why do you need yet another? I like iMessage being Apple only, as you can see which of your chums have an Apple device. Game Center tells me that there are just over 280 million users. That's more than enough players to beat! I don't need any more.
Edited by Benjamin Frost - 3/17/14 at 7:26pm
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

If you're a developer and you use this Evil Google crap, expect a 1 star review from me. F Google.

I am always wary of apps that are cross-platform and will always prefer an iOS only app, as in my experience they are better, not surprisingly.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
post #39 of 47

agree with TS. What in it for the developer except a headache and forcing the user to get a Google account? 

seem overly convoluted to me.  iOS App user already has an iOS Game Center account why burden them with getting a Google account? fail.

 

Keep It Simple Stupid!

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And 80% of the world population does not have access to running water.

And ants far outnumber Android users. At any given time, there are approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000 ants on planet earth.

My point is that Android users are irrelevant, and if I'm playing an online game, I would prefer to only play with Apple users.

My reasonable guess is that Android users are more likely to be using a cracked or hacked game, more of them are likely to cheat, and they are also more likely to be using a poor internet connection, with terrible ping times, lowering the quality of the online game for everybody who plays it.

I am definitely pro-segregation, and Android users should not be able to mix with Apple users, when playing online games.

You hold a mirror to my soul.
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
Post from mstone to Benjamin Frost - "Perhaps that explains your lack of mental capacity. If I was your brother, I probably would have repeatedly smashed the side of your head with a cricket bat."
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google Play Games cross-platform multiplayer comes to iOS, stepping up competition with Apple's Game Center
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Play Games cross-platform multiplayer comes to iOS, stepping up competition with Apple's Game Center