or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Which Printers Require Driver Installations?

Which Printers Require Driver Installations?

post #1 of 4
Just for edification, I'd like to know people's experiences with printers that require additional driver installations under OS X rather than those that work through built-in drivers. It's much more convenient for there to be true plug-n-play, and I'm leary of broken drivers.

I was troubled by the HP driver issue; I understand HPs require their drivers to be installed for the printers to function under OS X. I like HP printers, but if they require the installation of non-standard, dangerous drivers, they're not worth trouble. Of course, I could be wrong -- those HP drivers could have been built-in to Jaguar -- I don't really know. Let me here your experiences with the various brands.

[ 12-16-2002: Message edited by: Big Mac ]</p>
PPC4EVER
PPC4EVER
post #2 of 4
I always get the latest drivers from the manufacturer since the OS X installation probably will not have the latest version. Never had a problem with HP drivers myself... wouldn't call them "dangerous"...
post #3 of 4
All printers will require a driver. Some come with OSX, so the driver installation is transparent, but every printer needs a driver.

My Epson printers (900G & 785EPX) both work fine--well the 900G died due to "operator error"--but the 785EPX works fine.
post #4 of 4
I use an inexpensive Lexmark z22 that I purchased at walmart for 28.00. The printer works great! The drivers work flawlessly.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Which Printers Require Driver Installations?