or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google unveils Android Wear software platform for smart watches and wearables

Google unveils Android Wear software platform for smart watches and wearables - Page 3

post #81 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Welcome back! Sorry, I only read this far. 1smile.gif

Lazy! :) 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #82 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Welcome back

Thank you!

post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Awesome. All these companies coming up with wearables just to get in the game without any real clear vision of what to do. Even Google doesn't know exactly where wearables will go and have produced a half-finished product (then announced it) just to try and jump the gun on others.

This is what Apple loves - everyone making all sorts of junk and they come along with a market-changing product that shows just how pathetic all these other devices really are.

It also shows the difference between Apple and everyone else - Apple works on something in private and only release it when it's good. Everyone else releases half-baked products followed up by a second generation device only months later (Samsung Gear) or announces vaporware that's only in the prototype stage (Google Glass or Android Wearables) and let other people come up with the ideas on how to use them.

Pump the stock, is all this designed for, see look at our vaporware product, like HP and Microsoft at 2010 CES, then Apple introduces the real thing the (iPad). Real revenue and profit then ensues. 

post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Welcome back! Sorry, I only read this far. 1smile.gif

Lazy! :) 

I was expecting a reference to Omega wrist watches in that long post somewhere, but it did not seem to be. Maybe later?

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #85 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

I was expecting a reference to Omega wrist watches in that long post somewhere, but it did not seem to be. Maybe later?

It did have the ever popular mother in law with a mustache and horribly ugly, itchy, cat pee smelling sweater that she knits herself, and that beats an Omega in my book. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #86 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

You know that's funny, I was going to talk about the design or should I say lack of and how these tech firms should really partner up with a watch manufacture. Omega would defiantly be a good choice, although I do like Rolex. Introducing the Rolex Digi-Oyster Smart Watch, for the 21st century pimp in us all. Werner Herzog will probably do another PSA video short, this time on the dangers of texting while scuba diving at 30 meters or below. I can see it now, the film will start with an interview with a Dolphin mommy who lost her child due to a reckless diver who was paying more attention to a funny Twitter comment than to the direction he was swimming.

post #87 of 107
Quote:

I'm back bitches! Well at least 3/4 of me as I am now short a few parts, eeeewwww gross Relic. I'll start a new thread or post in my older one later to bring everyone up to speed, if your interested that is, the last thing I want is anyone to think I was anymore self centered then I already am.

Now though I want to talk about that a-hole comic figure Dick Tracy and his unholy influence that he has had on us. Though I think the technology behind these watches is defiantly interesting and as a gadget freak myself wouldn't mind getting a hold of the Motorola for a day or two. However, outside the circles of cheating High School-er's and people who have a Sky Mall Magazine Platinum Credit Card, are these things actually helpful to the rest of us in our daily struggles, also sometimes called life. To start with, voice commands, I feel embarrassed enough when using it alone and I use this technology everyday, in fact this very post was entered via speech recognition (I'm currently bed ridden and typing makes me nauseated). Anyway, the point being, I don't think I would ever talk to my gadget in public unless I was on LSD and it was talking back. Now as these things become more common in our society I'm sure the social stigma will die down a little but I'm defiantly not going to be that person who changes the minds of the people, so for now If you talk out load and there is no one or phone around to answer, your a wackadoodle. It is also your duty as a sane person to point out these talking into thin air nut jobs to the nearest police official. One last thought, say you wear this watch at all times and then say you were talking unkindly about someone, upon you mentioning that persons name will the watch automatically start composing a message. We’ve all butt dialed only to have your mother in law overhear a conversation about her mustache and horribly ugly, itchy, cat pee smelling sweaters that she knits her self and then gives them away as presents even though she is one of the wealthiest people you know and can afford real gifts, huh, I guess that was only me than. Weather, what is this fascination with always knowing what the weather will be like, the apps that are available today on tablets, phones, this one refrigerator from LG, and now watches have some of the most elaborate meteorological information available, what ever happened to just looking out the window. Messaging, how many more ways of texting do we need until we feel snuggly enough inside, knowing that our friends and family are always reachable. We complain that our government is tracking our every movement but I think the biggest problem we face today is trying to hide from that bitch Linda from down the street who has been trying to reach you for the last 3 days because her ADHD, Ritalin dosed children are selling candy bars that she had to replace twice already because they won't stop stuffing their fat mouths, so they can go to baseball camp but what they really need is to go to fat camp. Unfortunately she has your mobile number, Hangouts, Viber, Facetime, AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, ooVoo, Skype, Skout, Moco, WhatsApp, Line, NimBuzz, Instagram, Twitter and WeChat user id's as well. Sports scores, who cares about sports, what we really need is celebrity gossip info, I know I can't go a full day without hearing about what Angelina, Brad and their 15 techno colored bastard children are up to, woops, I went to far with that one.

I can go on and on as to why a the Google Watch is a silly device but  as you can now start to see the real reason for me posting was just to say hello and that I missed you guys, I thought simply saying hello would be kind of boring so I wanted to show you guys what I used to bring to the table, nonsensical gibberish with a smile, hahaha, I guess I really am self centered. I’m feeling a little better now, not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot but I now have something I didn’t have before and that’s hope. Like I said above I will sit down and write a proper post of my situation.

So again, hello everyone……..

Very entertaining post! I agree with you about people constantly boring you with drivel, which social networking encourages. And the weather; forecasts are normally wrong, so looking out of the window is as good a bet as any.

I was worried about you, and am very pleased to see such a hearty post. I liked your mousey avatar.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #88 of 107
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Flag it.

Heck, I didn’t even. It’s just funny. :lol:

I think making me an admin again would be good catharsis for these people. Remember, I let anything against me fly back then. Surprised more didn’t take advantage and PM me.

post #89 of 107

1.   Wow, just the fact that Google wants to get developers onto this now shows how far along they are.   If this is really vaporware they would be fools to burn developers.     

2.  Love the round face of the Moto 360. but only if it works. Still think I like the Qualcomm watch the best because the charge lasts several days to week. 

3.   This certainly raises the bar for Apple.   still waiting, such a shame apple wasted all that time on the 5c.

post #90 of 107

I don't see any working watch so far, that was all done post production.  Every video link on here was all post production.  Maybe this is an april fools joke on the google-long-gang. 

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
post #91 of 107

Google's motto is do no evil.  Is fooling people an evil thing? Look at this Bloomberg report. 

"Google Glass Leads Video-Game Makers to Test Wearable Potential"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/google-glass-leads-video-game-210732984.html

"Developer Shawn Hardin, showing off his company's video-game creation, slings pies, tomatoes and other bits of food at opponents linked online around the world.

Yet rather than using an iPhone, laptop or game console to play his company's "Global Food Fight," Hardin dons Google Glass and launches each new salvo with a nod of his head."

Does the writer Cliff Edwards know to play this game requires an Android smartphone? Why does Google play dumb that many media people have a misunderstanding of how Google Glass works? 

post #92 of 107
Really cool video but like all their devices, they work great in a video presentation.
post #93 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I consider myself a pretty forward thinking person when it comes to tech, and I'm sorry but I just don't see the implementation in most of the scenarios this video showed as being appealing enough for mass popularity. I guarantee that there is a niche group but I just don't see it being huge. Nobody is talking to their watch out in public, the same way people aren't generally using Siri out in public. Nobody is taking that watch on a surfing adventure (unless waterproof maybe). The question that needs to be asked is what problems does having a smart watch solve that are otherwise a pain is the butt OR could be done so much better that a person feels the need to spend extra money on one. Trust me, I'm a fan of the innovation in this area because it's good for all of us....but I just haven't seen THEE smartwatch to usher in the category properly.

I watched the video and I'm NOT excited about it at all, even though I already want a smart watch. Something is missing here.

post #94 of 107
Apple releases products. Google releases concept videos.
post #95 of 107
The usual calendar/messaging stuff isn't too exciting. But I like the idea of augmented reality without the goggles, i.e. you are walking past an historic building and you look down at your watch and it's already telling you the history of it, without even having to do a query.

The thing to be careful of with these kind of devices, is that they don't start nagging the user. With one that was centred around health for example, there is a danger of that.
post #96 of 107

Apple still has not revealed their smart watch or smart TV. There is no guarantee that Apple will produce anything better, if at all. Apple is no longer the leader that it once was. It can't even decide on a bigger screen iPhone.

post #97 of 107
Originally Posted by peter236 View Post
There is no guarantee that Apple will produce anything better, if at all. Apple is no longer the leader that it once was.

If these sentences had any logical connection whatsoever, you wouldn’t be being told to shut up right now.

post #98 of 107
Quote:

Apple still has not revealed their smart watch or smart TV. There is no guarantee that Apple will produce anything better, if at all. Apple is no longer the leader that it once was. It can't even decide on a bigger screen iPhone.

I beg to differ. Apple does things when it makes sense to, and when technology allows it. Were people screaming about Apple making a smartphone while Palm, HP, and BB had a few years head start? How are those companies doing now?
post #99 of 107
Quote:

Wrong. Apple releases things when they are ready and not because Joe Corp beats it to market. You can't rush innovation and quality.
post #100 of 107
Quote:

I'm back bitches! Well at least 3/4 of me as I am now short a few parts, eeeewwww gross Relic. I'll start a new thread or post in my older one later to bring everyone up to speed, if your interested that is, the last thing I want is anyone to think I was anymore self centered then I already am.

Now though I want to talk about that a-hole comic figure Dick Tracy and his unholy influence that he has had on us. Though I think the technology behind these watches is defiantly interesting and as a gadget freak myself wouldn't mind getting a hold of the Motorola for a day or two. However, outside the circles of cheating High School-er's and people who have a Sky Mall Magazine Platinum Credit Card, are these things actually helpful to the rest of us in our daily struggles, also sometimes called life. To start with, voice commands, I feel embarrassed enough when using it alone and I use this technology everyday, in fact this very post was entered via speech recognition (I'm currently bed ridden and typing makes me nauseated). Anyway, the point being, I don't think I would ever talk to my gadget in public unless I was on LSD and it was talking back. Now as these things become more common in our society I'm sure the social stigma will die down a little but I'm defiantly not going to be that person who changes the minds of the people, so for now If you talk out load and there is no one or phone around to answer, your a wackadoodle. It is also your duty as a sane person to point out these talking into thin air nut jobs to the nearest police official. One last thought, say you wear this watch at all times and then say you were talking unkindly about someone, upon you mentioning that persons name will the watch automatically start composing a message. We’ve all butt dialed only to have your mother in law overhear a conversation about her mustache and horribly ugly, itchy, cat pee smelling sweaters that she knits her self and then gives them away as presents even though she is one of the wealthiest people you know and can afford real gifts, huh, I guess that was only me than. Weather, what is this fascination with always knowing what the weather will be like, the apps that are available today on tablets, phones, this one refrigerator from LG, and now watches have some of the most elaborate meteorological information available, what ever happened to just looking out the window. Messaging, how many more ways of texting do we need until we feel snuggly enough inside, knowing that our friends and family are always reachable. We complain that our government is tracking our every movement but I think the biggest problem we face today is trying to hide from that bitch Linda from down the street who has been trying to reach you for the last 3 days because her ADHD, Ritalin dosed children are selling candy bars that she had to replace twice already because they won't stop stuffing their fat mouths, so they can go to baseball camp but what they really need is to go to fat camp. Unfortunately she has your mobile number, Hangouts, Viber, Facetime, AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, ooVoo, Skype, Skout, Moco, WhatsApp, Line, NimBuzz, Instagram, Twitter and WeChat user id's as well. Sports scores, who cares about sports, what we really need is celebrity gossip info, I know I can't go a full day without hearing about what Angelina, Brad and their 15 techno colored bastard children are up to, woops, I went to far with that one.

I can go on and on as to why a the Google Watch is a silly device but  as you can now start to see the real reason for me posting was just to say hello and that I missed you guys, I thought simply saying hello would be kind of boring so I wanted to show you guys what I used to bring to the table, nonsensical gibberish with a smile, hahaha, I guess I really am self centered. I’m feeling a little better now, not out of the woods yet, not by a long shot but I now have something I didn’t have before and that’s hope. Like I said above I will sit down and write a proper post of my situation.

So again, hello everyone……..

Soooo good to see you here again! Wow, full force I see. Love the mother in law thing, agree with the stigma, also don't see myself talking to my watch and I don't think you went to far with Angelina & Brad.

Look forward to read upon your situation. Good to read that there now is hope. Best to you.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #101 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

At the current time most of these wearables are solutions in search of a problem. Do we really need a second screen for our smartphones? No. After the first couple of times you and your geek pals ooh and ahh over the geekasity of it all you'll realize that you're now tethered to two devices that need your constant attention, care, and feeding. Regressive.

Now on the other hand, if we look beyond the constant stimulation and entertainment addiction of the geekmass we'll find a ton of possibilities for wearable devices in other application areas like personal health monitoring, children/elderly/pet tracking and telemetry, personal safety (gas and oxygen monitoring for miners, soldiers, tank cleaners, people who work in enclosed spaces, etc.), wearable CO monitors for the deaf, near field communication for firefighters, police, and military, avalanche beacons for skiers, underwater telemetry pingers for divers, connected dosimeters for people who work in hazardous or radioactive enviroments, sleepy driver detectors, concussion detectors, sun exposure / sunburn risk avoidance, a way to see around corners, etc. Less "industrial" uses could include a wearable all-day pass that you use at a theme park that allows you to reserve ride times. 

All I'm saying is don't fall into the trap of backward looking thinking or only seeing wearables as extensions to existing portable devices like smart phones. There are countless categories of real world applications that will emerge because of the capabilities that wearables will deliver - once they get the kinks worked out of them, like dealing with energy storage and energy harvesting. It would be realistic to consider all current uses of wearable technology as being very primitive and short sighted compared to what is possible. It's not a matter of IF, only a matter of WHEN.

A glass of water in the desert of the forum religious wars and feuds.

Thank you.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #102 of 107
Quote:

Anyway, the point being, I don't think I would ever talk to my gadget in public unless I was on LSD and it was talking back. Now as these things become more common in our society I'm sure the social stigma will die down a little but I'm defiantly not going to be that person who changes the minds of the people, so for now If you talk out load and there is no one or phone around to answer, your a wackadoodle. It is also your duty as a sane person to point out these talking into thin air nut jobs to the nearest police official. 

I agree. My hope is that subvocalisation technology will be developed, and you will wear some kind of a choker and subvocalise to it.

post #103 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

...and you will wear some kind of a choker...

Google dreams of such a day.

FEAR GOOGLE
FEAR GOOGLE
post #104 of 107
One issue will be the app developers. These screen shots show apps running with no banner ads. Because of very little screen real-estate, an ad supported model may not work with this form factor. Will most apps need to be paid apps? A banner ad in this form factor will greatly diminish the experience. As they say, the devil will be in the details and I'm curious as to how this will shake out.
post #105 of 107
ArsTechnica spent a lot of time digging into the details of Google's new smartphone OS and seem impressed. The resultant article has a ton of information about it for those interested.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/in-depth-with-android-wear-googles-quantum-leap-of-a-smartwatch-os/
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #106 of 107
Quote:

I'm back bitches! Well at least 3/4 of me as I am now short a few parts...

Welcome back. We were worried about you.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #107 of 107

For the smart watch skeptics: 

If you're looking for a killer app to prove "smart watches makes sense", I think you're missing the point.

I've owned a plasticky-cheap Pebble for many months. After loading the right apps, I've reduced the amount of time I use my phone or pull it out of my pocket - dramatically.

For me, the Pebble has simplified my relationship w/ tech in a way that saves me time, makes me more aware of my environment - and makes me LESS of a dork to the people I care about. 

The practical value of having phone notifications, text msgs, app alerts, weather, GPS, your fitness tracker and other bits of data on your wrist kind of sneaks up on you over time.  It's not some "wow" moment or killer feature. The value arrives in hundreds of small moments that save you time.

A lot of these moments are related to ELIMINATING issues related to phones, for example: 

- you don't have to put a package down or stop your bike in the street, to check a call

- you don't have to stick a phone between you and your date, to check a message

- you don't have to be rude w/ your phone during a presentation or meeting, to receive an important text

- you don't have to pull your phone out or wear it on your arm, to exercise

With the Pebble on my wrist, my iPhone stays in my pocket about 80% more than it used to. For someone who makes a living on the internet, this has made a positive difference in my personal relationships with my wife, friends and kids.

It has improved my social manners.

I rely on my Pebble so much now that it has replaced my beloved 20-year old Tag Heuer for 6 out of 7 days. I only wear the Tag when I'm near salt water (I live in FL) or doing something formal.

Based upon my experience, I think it's conceivable that when these devices mature, so many people will love the social grace and time saving/convenience of wearable tech that we'll start to wonder why anyone ever pulled a phone out in public (so rude of them!)

Anyway, this is just my experience/opinion - your mileage may vary.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google unveils Android Wear software platform for smart watches and wearables