or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down

Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down - Page 2

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyclb View Post

I haven't had many crash issues. It has worked rather smoothly; however, I am having volume issues with 3rd party apps like Angry Birds Star Wars and a couple of children's games. To basically put it, there is no audio when I go to play the games. The music app works fine and I get audio. I haven't seen anything on the discussion boards, but has anyone else had this issue or have a remedy?

What you are describing sounds like you have the audio mute button turned on. Some applications -- usually ones showing audio and video disregard how the button is set -- they assume you want to listen to music/video and everything else (alerts, beeps, etc) will be muted.

Games are supposed to follow the button setting. So you can play a game and mute the sound by sliding the switch.

post #42 of 99
I have had freezes with my iPhone 5...touchscreen unresponsive, power cycle and it's fine. But, no issues, so far, with my iPad Mini.
post #43 of 99

That's bull. This entire thread is of people complaining about issues that still exist. Not everyone asked for help, including me. I've done my research and there is no fix for my issue. 

post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

That's bull. This entire thread is of people complaining about issues that still exist. Not everyone asked for help, including me. I've done my research and there is no fix for my issue. 

Do what my ex-boss told me to do. "take your phone throw it as hard as you can at that wall" that'll fix it once and for all lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No it wasn't. What benefit did the OP or anyone else get from his comment? Maybe if he asked if anyone is experiencing the same issue, but it was a pure unadulterated rant that served no purpose.

Pretty much describes 95% of all posts on any forum.  To be fair he did state what he's tried so far.  The posts with, "no problems here" don't provide any real benefit either.

post #46 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Pretty much describes 95% of all posts on any forum.  To be fair he did state what he's tried so far.  The posts with, "no problems here" don't provide any real benefit either.

The 'no problem' posts are by far the worst. They just have to get in the mix.
post #47 of 99
I had frequent resprings before, and nothing after. Performance increase from faster animations is very pleasant. No reason to wait on this one from my view.
post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Have iPads shared the same problems with lagging, crashing, and non-responseive screens as the iPhones have?

Nah, that description sounds more like the Motorola Droid. ;)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's funny how the same cantankerous people never seem to have any problems resolved, but instead their problems just seem to be piled on with release-after-release. My advice is to never use Apple's products ever again but I'd settle for you not posting on this forum.

LOL, made my night.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Crashes are gone on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. This update didn't fix every fault in 7.0 but it is by far a much better revision, like many others I'm very happy!

Happy with 7.1 or Huddler Tech?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Lagging, freezing, and horrible battery life. Did an experiment over the weekend: turned the phone one without opening any apps, put it in airplane mode and let it sit for a couple hours. In three hours it was down to 75%. Did a full restore, repeated the experiment: 77% after three hours. Not sure what's up, but there are some rogue processes running somewhere. Thankfully I alway save my SHSH blobs, and downgraded back to 7.0.4. I'm sure they'll fix it, but I'm not going to update again until they do.

AppleCare.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 99
Quote:

It's funny how the same cantankerous people never seem to have any problems resolved, but instead their problems just seem to be piled on with release-after-release. My advice is to never use Apple's products ever again but I'd settle for you not posting on this forum.

My advice is always to contact Apple support or Genius Bar. Apple has high customer satisfaction ratings for support a reason. "Never using products ever again" is good advice for half-assed, disposable gadgets made by "white box" vendors.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by APDunne View Post

I've had no problems with 7.1 on my iPhone 5. Not keen on the new shift key though - I always feel like it's not selected when it is and vice versa.

Slightly unrelated - where can I get the wallpaper from the top left of this article?

A

John Lewis, maybe?
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #54 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

My 5th gen iPod touch was always fine but my iPad Air crashed quite often on 7.0

Since the upgrade to 7.1 both devices are definitely snappier and my iPad has not crashed once. Shame about the thicker text on the keyboard, but there you are.

Pleased indeed.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacWiz44 View Post

What you are describing sounds like you have the audio mute button turned on. Some applications -- usually ones showing audio and video disregard how the button is set -- they assume you want to listen to music/video and everything else (alerts, beeps, etc) will be muted.

Games are supposed to follow the button setting. So you can play a game and mute the sound by sliding the switch.

Steady on—that's your third post in five years! No need to monopolise the forums.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

Sure they do. They encourage those who haven't yet updated to take the plunge.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nah, that description sounds more like the Motorola Droid. ;)

Lol, did you even read the article?  Either way, there are posts already that confirmed that iPads are effected as well and that's what I was wondering.

Edited by DroidFTW - 3/18/14 at 7:16pm
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #58 of 99
Before 7.1, my 5s is crashing almost everyday when touch ID and reduce motion are both on. They have fixed that with the latest version. I have it updated via wifi, in the office, without doing a backup!

Had 1 green screen on one game, hanged for 2 seconds, then automatically restarted. After that little issue, everything works faster and no crashes even after playing around the settings which I get crashes until 7.0.6. Just noticed the added micro second delay when unlocking phone using touch ID. Maybe it was just me.

The 3 best solution to those experiencing the issue is [1] restart your idevice. If it still crashes, [2] restore WITHOUT backup via itunes (of course, back up your data before restoring) and [3] contact apple support.
post #59 of 99

My wife reports that the IMDB app is nearly worthless now on 7.1, exhibiting many of the mentioned freezing issues.  I looked in the iTunes Store and there are many, many complaints about the degraded performance of the IMDB app.  She also is seeing weirdness with her gmail accounting iOS mail.  She handed me her phone tonight and the gmail account was grayed out, while all others were fine.  This in on a 4S.

She has little tolerance for this sort of thing, so I am getting an earful.  Apple and the developers need to get this figured out or I'm gonna wake up dead.

post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

My wife reports that the IMDB app is nearly worthless now on 7.1, exhibiting many of the mentioned freezing issues.  I looked in the iTunes Store and there are many, many complaints about the degraded performance of the IMDB app.  She also is seeing weirdness with her gmail accounting iOS mail.  She handed me her phone tonight and the gmail account was grayed out, while all others were fine.  This in on a 4S.

She has little tolerance for this sort of thing, so I am getting an earful.  Apple and the developers need to get this figured out or I'm gonna wake up dead.

I can't stand IMDb and gmail is best avoided, so no sympathy from me, I'm afraid. Enjoy your afterlife.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #61 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

I've seen two anomalies with iOS7.1 on iPhone 4s: The first one was that all of my email accounts were shown twice in Settings under Accounts. The other one was on more than one occasion where the battery dropped 30-50 percent drops in a matter of minutes when running Safari, Maps, Photos, or other connected apps on cellular or wifi. I noticed that if I did a hard restart or reset the network settings the estimated percentage would actually increase. Maybe it's time to do a full discharge cycle.  I did a full backup & restore last night. Today it seems better but still too soon to say it's fixed. I'll keep monitoring the situation.

It would be really cool if iOS8 included energy management services so the OS and users could tell which apps are sucking up too many CPU cycles and battery capacity. I know this is too geeky for most users but just being able to know who the worst offenders are would be good enough to allow regular users to shut down the power hogs that are not needed for the task at hand. 

there are battery management apps available in the AppStore and are free... you might want to check on those.. however as per my experience, it is the facebook app that is making my iphone suck battery life the most... 

post #62 of 99
Many users including me, the iphone 4 was disappointed with personal hotspot cannot work, the APN profile can't save. It's been almost two weeks apple's Party gave no official information on this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/message/25214962#25214962, whereas many people from various countries complained about this. I think this is a serious problem that is not dealt with seriously by apple. Apple mentions that iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance. I think apple has lied, I find apple's performance from day to day are increasingly dropping, disappointing in the midst of an increasingly rigorous competition era. I hope there is a media that raised this topic became news, because this incident has disturbing our activities in the works using the hotspot.
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadiess View Post

Many users including me, the iphone 4 was disappointed with personal hotspot cannot work, the APN profile can't save. It's been almost two weeks apple's Party gave no official information on this discussion https://discussions.apple.com/message/25214962#25214962, whereas many people from various countries complained about this. I think this is a serious problem that is not dealt with seriously by apple. Apple mentions that iPhone 4 users will enjoy improved responsiveness and performance. I think apple has lied, I find apple's performance from day to day are increasingly dropping, disappointing in the midst of an increasingly rigorous competition era. I hope there is a media that raised this topic became news, because this incident has disturbing our activities in the works using the hotspot.

That would have to do with the profile loaded from the SIM provided by your phone network.

Perhaps you should ask about replacing the SIM.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #64 of 99
I've had a couple of issues. My iPad Mini w/Retina Display bricked when I did the update. My iPad w/retina display and my wife's iPad 3 were fine. I've had issues with my iPhone 4s where the volume image will just show up on my screen and I have to exit out of the app I'm in and then try and go back.
post #65 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Sure they do. They encourage those who haven't yet updated to take the plunge.

And fill out the sample context.

OTOH: I always wonder how much of the issues are derived from APP incompatibility that slowly gets sorted out as the apps upgrade?

post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And fill out the sample context.

OTOH: I always wonder how much of the issues are derived from APP incompatibility that slowly gets sorted out as the apps upgrade?

Quite a few, from my experience.
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #67 of 99

yup, even i have had the same issue of no audio in games occasionally. the games which i am talking about are "threes" and "boost 2". all i have to do is force quit the app, and restart it.

post #68 of 99
On my iPhone 4 iOS 7.1 so much better then previous two versions. First it seems to be much faster in every way. Without instrumentation don't know if this is real or not but definitely feels faster. Second I had a lot of crashes before in Safari, BBC, Bloomberg, eyetv, iBooks and GoodReader. Sometimes the only fix was to reboot. Since 7.1 haven't had any crashes. Thanks Apple.
post #69 of 99

iOS 7.1 has been positive here too. My 5S fingerprint recognition is much quicker, first-time recognition is much more frequent and I don't think I've once had to fall back to entering the PIN since the update (start-up excluded, of course). Reliability is much better too.

However, the big bonus for me is the new month view in calendar. It gives me a better day view than the day view :???:: Day view can only show about 4 hours without scrolling. There is no indication of whether there are other appointments outside of that 4 hours so you have to scroll to check, a waste of time when there aren't many appointments. The new month view can show three without scrolling and, if there's only 1 or 2, it's clear there are no more.

Maybe other people put more detail in their calendar, or have busier lives and more friends than me :( 

OS X and iOS user

OS X and iOS user

post #70 of 99

my wife's 5s battery issue was fixed with limbaugh's approach.  thanks i tried everything even reset everything , many things were suggested when i did a search but limbaugh's worked right off

i'm having issues with my blutooth,   using maps the first second of instructions comes then  stops   " turn right at........"

never really had an issue with the finger sensor that has worked for me 99+%

now having a bit of  lag with touch screen

but solving the battery issue for my wife was a big relief :)

I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #71 of 99

I want to start out by saying, I don't consider myself a complainer but just couldn't help adding a couple of issues I'm having on my iphone 4 since updating to ios 7.1   Why I updated, I have no idea since I wasn't having any problems of any kind before.  I saw that it supposedly had enhancements for the ip4 and just had to try it.  Stupid me!

Since updating I have a home button that doesn't work half the time, my screen freezes, everything is in slow motion.  It is so bad that the majority of the time I can't even get a celllular signal until about the 4th try making a phone call or checking phone messages. I'm not a happy camper, to say the least.  I'm going to try and reset everything back to what it was before I updated.  Just hope I can do it.  Despite my disappointment and frustration with this latest update, I still love my iphone.  I'll just be happy if I can restore it today to its previous self.

post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2 View Post

I want to start out by saying, I don't consider myself a complainer but just couldn't help adding a couple of issues I'm having on my iphone 4 since updating to ios 7.1   Why I updated, I have no idea since I wasn't having any problems of any kind before.  I saw that it supposedly had enhancements for the ip4 and just had to try it.  Stupid me!
Since updating I have a home button that doesn't work half the time, my screen freezes, everything is in slow motion.  It is so bad that the majority of the time I can't even get a celllular signal until about the 4th try making a phone call or checking phone messages. I'm not a happy camper, to say the least.  I'm going to try and reset everything back to what it was before I updated.  Just hope I can do it.  Despite my disappointment and frustration with this latest update, I still love my iphone.  I'll just be happy if I can restore it today to its previous self.

Unless you saved your SHSH blob (if you don't know what that is then you didn't) before updating you won't be able to go back to 7.0.6. What I suggest is plugging it into iTunes, baking it up, then doing a Restore which will reinstall 7.1 while removing everything. Once that is complete then test it to see if it's working fine before you reinstall your files. If it then try to build it back up. If not, get it looked at by Apple.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #73 of 99
^ post

And to add to that, even if you still have iOS6 ipsw lying around...Apple doesn't sign it anymore. So one can install it, you can't active your phone. They took that away a few days after the release of iOS7.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #74 of 99
Quote:

Unless you saved your SHSH blob (if you don't know what that is then you didn't) before updating you won't be able to go back to 7.0.6. What I suggest is plugging it into iTunes, baking it up, then doing a Restore which will reinstall 7.1 while removing everything. Once that is complete then test it to see if it's working fine before you reinstall your files. If it then try to build it back up. If not, get it looked at by Apple.

Thank you for your response to my post.  A nice surprise for sure.   

You were right when you said if I don't know what SHSH blob is then I didn't save it.  I've never heard of this thing named SHSH blob and though I'm a 'senior citizen' I do consider myself computer saavy to a point.  I try to keep up with all the tech stuff but somehow this SHSH slid right past me.  Would you mind telling me what it is?  If I understand correctly, since I didn't save it, there is no way for me to go back to 7.0?  That's really rotten. 

Thanks for any additional info.

post #75 of 99

iOS 7.1 proves my point that the crashes in previous versions is an iOS issue rather than a user issue that some idiots claim to be.

post #76 of 99
Originally Posted by rgwychu View Post
iOS 7.1 proves my point that the crashes in previous versions is an iOS issue rather than a user issue that some idiots claim to be.

Seems like an unfounded accusation.

post #77 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2 View Post

Thank you for your response to my post.  A nice surprise for sure.   
You were right when you said if I don't know what SHSH blob is then I didn't save it.  I've never heard of this thing named SHSH blob and though I'm a 'senior citizen' I do consider myself computer saavy to a point.  I try to keep up with all the tech stuff but somehow this SHSH slid right past me.  Would you mind telling me what it is?  If I understand correctly, since I didn't save it, there is no way for me to go back to 7.0?  That's really rotten. 
Thanks for any additional info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHSH_blob
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #78 of 99
Freezing and Lagging in the same sentence as iPhone....not possible.
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
Always happy to debate an issue with anyone. Once it turns into name calling, I am out of there. 
post #79 of 99
Tons of problems last few days with 5s post update: extreme lagging when typing, sound works intermittently, can't stream music, charging works intermittently, phone turns off on its own, restart sometimes gives me the white apple screen then blue screen of death, no siri, responsiveness overall is off, battery drains faster... the list goes on and on. Suggestions welcome. I plan to take it to an apple store tomorrow. I've only had the phone a few months. Very frustrating.
post #80 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloface View Post

Tons of problems last few days with 5s post update: extreme lagging when typing, sound works intermittently, can't stream music, charging works intermittently, phone turns off on its own, restart sometimes gives me the white apple screen then blue screen of death, no siri, responsiveness overall is off, battery drains faster... the list goes on and on. Suggestions welcome. I plan to take it to an apple store tomorrow. I've only had the phone a few months. Very frustrating.

If you've restarted and you've restored it, then your next step is to make a Genius Bar appointment. Don't walk into the Apple Store without an appointment.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/27/14 at 12:57pm

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Users report freezing, lagging iPhones with Apple's iOS 7.1, but overall crashes are down