or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]

post #1 of 113
Thread Starter 
A new book about Apple after Steve Jobs paints the company in a largely negative light, leading CEO Tim Cook to publicly take issue with the new title, saying it "fails to capture" the essence of the company.




Cook was quoted in a statement provided to CNBC on Tuesday, in which the CEO slammed the new book entitled "Haunted Empire: Apple after Steve Jobs," penned by reporter Yukari Iwatani Kane, formerly of The Wall Street Journal. Kane's new book, published by HarperBusiness, presents her conclusion that Apple is on the decline after the death of Jobs.

In response, Cook and Apple came out swinging on Tuesday, the same day the book was released. In the statement, the CEO didn't mince words, referring to Kane's reporting as "nonsense."

"This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple," Cook said. "It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company.

"Apple has over 85,000 employees that come to work each day to do their best work, to create the world's best products, to put their mark in the universe and leave it better than they found it. This has been the heart of Apple from day one and will remain at the heart for decades to come. I am very confident about our future."

Aside from its pessimistic outlook on Apple's future, the book also made headlines this week when included alleged details of a 2010 meeting between Jobs and Apple staff were detailed. Kane's sources claim that Jobs viewed the HDTV market as a "terrible business," and signaled to Apple employees that he didn't believe the company should ever make a full-fledged television set.

An excerpt from the book was also published by the Journal last month, describing the almost machine-like way Cook apparently operates in both his professional and personal lives. Kane described meetings with Cook as "terrifying," with the CEO maintaining a "Zenlike calm" while making demands of employees.

"He could strike terror in the hearts of his subordinates, but he could also motivate them to toil from dawn to midnight just for a word of praise," the book reads.

Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple.

"For Tim Cook to have such strong feelings about the book, it must have touched a nerve," Kane said. "Even I was surprised by my conclusions, so I understand the sentiment. I'm happy to speak with him or anyone at Apple in public or private. My hope in writing this book was to be thought-provoking and to start a conversation which I'm glad it has."
post #2 of 113

Some other books like what? - iCon ?

Dont tell Walter's book please! 

 

Why cant he just take that book off from iBookStore? 

iCon was removed when Steve was head.

 

Quote:
'm happy to speak with him or anyone at Apple in public or private.

No thanks.


Edited by Chandra69 - 3/18/14 at 2:39pm
post #3 of 113

Tim knows Apple a WHOLE lot better than the joker who wrote that piece of trash.

post #4 of 113
Yukari will look like a bigger fool than she does now when Apple let's loose a barrage of new products at WWDC in 90 days. Her writing career is going to be toast

Isaacson's reputation is shi* for putting that recommendation on the cover. Incredible that someone with so much access to Apple and time spend with Steve could be so off the rails

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply

Windows survivor - after a long, epic and painful struggle. Very long AAPL

Reply
post #5 of 113

Over at MacWorld, Jason Snell, had a whole piece about it.

His conclusion is that the book often contradicts itself.

For example:

Kane cherry-picks press reactions to Apple events and financial statements that best fit into the Apple-is-doomed narrative. She suggests that too many people buying the low-end iPhone 4s instead of the then-new iPhone 5 in early 2013 was a sign of Apple’s failure. But then, within a few paragraphs, she doubles back to suggest that the new iPhone 5s being preferred over the low-end iPhone 5c is an equal—yet opposite—sign of the same failure.

post #6 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

Tim knows Apple a WHOLE lot better than the joker who wrote that piece of trash.
Go Tim!
post #7 of 113
Dilger / Kane debate live on WSJ d on Apple TV - I would pay for that
post #8 of 113

I don't think Cook should have bothered to dignify the book with a comment.

 

But considering he did, I am pleased with his pithy choice of words.

post #9 of 113
From what excepts we have seen recently I'm afraid I agree.

I was originally interested in this but something feels off with it.

This book seems like a sensationalist attempt at a money grab and I won't be bothering to read it.
The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
post #10 of 113
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 
His conclusion is that the book often contradicts itself.

 

Wonder how much Samsung paid to commission her to write it.


Oh, and this is straight from her personal website:

 

Kane is best known for her in-depth analysis and scoops, among which include the news about Steve Jobs’s liver transplant, the iPad and the Verizon iPhone. Her stories have included the off-beat and hilarious like a piece on a fifteen-year old iPhone hacker and a story on iPad couture that became the subject of a Stephen Colbert rant.

 

You can see her slant just in the wording of these sentences.

 

Unrelated, but I was always taught that using adjectives to describe something you yourself have done was immodest.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post
 

I don't think Cook should have bothered to dignify the book with a comment.

 

Bullshit should always be called out.

 

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
The problem with posting nude photos of Jennifer Lawrence on the internet is that it takes away all the mystique...
Reply
post #12 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Yukari will look like a bigger fool than she does now when Apple let's loose a barrage of new products at WWDC in 90 days. Her writing career is going to be toast

Nah, she could always get a gig writing for Digitimes.

 

;)

post #13 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Yukari will look like a bigger fool than she does now when Apple let's loose a barrage of new products at WWDC in 90 days. Her writing career is going to be toast

Isaacson's reputation is shi* for putting that recommendation on the cover. Incredible that someone with so much access to Apple and time spend with Steve could be so off the rails

Disappointingly, Yukari will be welcomed by many in the press to speak her negative views about Apple's future. Much of what I have read in the press about the book, was written and spoken by many analysts and bloggers last year. Even as Apple was earning more sales and more profits, introducing 64-bit hardware and software, a working fingerprint sensor and more telephone carriers, investing billions in its future, etc., Apple was proclaimed to be in decline..

Not until Yukari backtracks on anything written will the bloodbath of ink slow the promotion of the book. No matter how many slams against the book, Yukari most likely will not backtrack until a lot of money has been made. Look at Isaacson's backtracking on his thoughts about Google being more innovative than Apple. Not much has been heard from him since.
post #14 of 113
Apple declining with its best days in the past? Yeah, I remember a lot of people saying that in the mid-nineties. I have my beefs with Apple, but they're about specifics and not the broad picture.
post #15 of 113
When does Mike Daisey perform the sequel? Utter rubbish.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #16 of 113

Even on Amazon where people often buy and write their opinions are saying out-right, the book joke, thrash with no insight of past and current atmosphere at Apple. With all the products announced after Steve jobs, apple have done technologically marvelous job and will continue in future. Steve Jobs spirit is buried way down in Apple employees heart and mind. 

post #17 of 113
I love how these people, who haven't worked a day in their fucking lives at Apple nor have a damn clue about any aspect of how the company is run, feel entitled enough to write a book making such ridiculous agenda-driven conclusions. The sad thing is because this book is about Apple, and has such a negative title, it will probably make a shitload of money, even though it is filled with nothing but superficialities and near-lies.
post #18 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how these people, who haven't worked a day in their fucking lives at Apple nor have a damn clue about any aspect of how the company is run, feel entitled enough to write a book making such ridiculous agenda-driven conclusions. The sad thing is because this book is about Apple, and has such a negative title, it will probably make a shitload of money, even though it is filled with nothing but superficialities and near-lies.

Hey it got the NY Times a friggin' Pulitzer....

post #19 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
His conclusion is that the book often contradicts itself.

Wonder how much Samsung paid to commission her to write it.


Oh, and this is 
straight from her personal website:
Quote:
Kane is best known for her in-depth analysis and scoops, among which include the news about Steve Jobs’s liver transplant, the iPad and the Verizon iPhone. Her stories have included the off-beat and hilarious like a piece on a fifteen-year old iPhone hacker and a story on iPad couture that became the subject of a Stephen Colbert rant.

You can see her slant just in the wording of these sentences.


Unrelated, but 
I was always taught that using adjectives to describe something you yourself have done was immodest.

You gotta love the Steven Colbert name-dropping.
post #20 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how these people, who haven't worked a day in their fucking lives at Apple nor have a damn clue about any aspect of how the company is run, feel entitled enough to write a book making such ridiculous agenda-driven conclusions. 

a bit like most people who post on any company specific website such as Appleinsider.

post #21 of 113

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

 

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

 

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

post #22 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

 

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

 

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

 

I hope you are joking!

post #23 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

Yeah I would have said something like "I'm not a huge fan of fiction"
post #24 of 113

Feeeding a troll.

Bad move.

 

But i do understand Mr Cook.

To many bad myth regarding Apple out there, because Jobs used to ignore stupid (shortSighted) people.

post #25 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

 

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

 

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

She seems to me to almost be a professional troll.  I'm basing that only off information from this article/thread though.

post #26 of 113

"Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple."

 

In other words; Tim took the bait.

post #27 of 113
It touched a nerve because your book is fiction claiming to be fact.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #28 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

"Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple."

 

In other words; Tim took the bait.

And had he not the narrative would have stood.

 

Even Hershey's had to start advertising.... "I make good chocolate" only goes so far.

post #29 of 113
I think Tim and others at Apple are just tired of the press in general and their lack of any real reporting or journalism. No company has been so under the microscope as Apple has been and been accused of XYZ, in decline, un-innovative, etc...while Samsung, Google, MS all get passes and barely any attention and all are literally stagnant.

Meanwhile today, MS shoots up because of a rumor of Office on iPad. That's innovation....please. Sure it's a new market and revenue but come on, that's nothing compared to the flops they are having.

Google wearable OS? Come on...it's a CG video and not even real.
post #30 of 113

It is a bit odd that Cook responded.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #31 of 113
Tim responded because it was so outrageous and hurtful, but he probably should have been less interesting, to slow the proverbial news machine. But a woman like that loves to see her name in newspapers and mentioned by the elite, like Tim Cook, therefore she'll keep writing her opinion on people who are doing great things in the news, because that will make her money to buy nicer and faster cars.. Although if you look at her net effect on society, she isn't adding anything, while people like Cook are actually making a dent - gotta love Cook! When haters stop using your fame and fortune for the spotlight, you know you've stopped making a difference.
post #32 of 113

I wish Apple would go on offense more often. Quit allowing Apple to be a punching bag.

post #33 of 113
Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.
post #34 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I wish Apple would go on offense more often. Quit allowing Apple to be a punching bag.

I disagree because it is futile. The more Apple reacts, the more Apple will be attacked.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #35 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

April. OMG, I didn't realize that they changed the end of the year to month #4!

 

Samsung has done nothing to "outdone" the iPhone. The S5 has been greeted with a "meh" both by reviewers and by buyers. Their smart watches are such duds that they're giving them away with purchase of a TV. The reason customers don't jump ship from Apple to Samsung is because Apple isn't in the junk business.

post #36 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

👎

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #37 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I disagree because it is futile. The more Apple reacts, the more Apple will be attacked.

Cook is dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn't. I'm sure there are Apple employees that wish the company would stop being a punching bag.

post #38 of 113
Headline baiting hack journalism at its worst...
post #39 of 113
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I hope you are joking!

 

He sort of has a point.

 

Originally Posted by blandersonsf
[post]

 

Shut up and go away.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 113

A chilidsh, petty, and trollish response by the author, as expected. It's the equivalent of trolls who come in and vomit out non-sensical horse-shit about Apple, and when people respond that what they're saying is untrue, their retort is "LOL LOOKS LIKE A GOT A BIG REACTION, PROVES FANBOYS CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH". 

 

Person A: The sky is green

Person B: That's nonsense, it's blue

Person A: So, looks like I struck a nerve. Just goes to show how right I am. 

 

It's the tactic of attention whores and petty liars. You see it everyday with politicians and smear campaigns. I agree that Cook should not even have dignified the book with a comment, no matter how tempting it was to call it out. It's exactly what people like this want, and she'll milk the extra attention for all its worth. 

 

Sane people (and the hundreds of millions who are buying Apple products) do not really believe anything is "haunted" or "doomed" about the current Apple. This "author" knows what they're doing, which is simply profiting from the small but vocal "I hate Apple" and "I wish Apple would die" troll market. This author has mocked and derided the company in every piece she's written about them. She's a hater to the core, yet this book is being billed as some deep, objective, investigative publication. 

 

Either way, the consensus seems to be that the book is complete shit, regardless of its perspective.

 

If you listen to her video interview here, gives you an idea of how little she brings to the table. Besides sounding..not that bright (she has that whiny teenage-girl voice) her entire argument is "Cook isn't Steve Jobs..and umm..yeah!". Thanks for that, brilliant observation. I can tell how little depth the book has based on that short segment, and her mind-numbing manner of speaking. The way she keeps saying "My question is.." makes it clear how little she fucking knows about anything internally within the company. Her interviewers seem to understand more than she does. The same book, with the same "questions" could have been written before Steve's death- because apparently Apple's performance and product quality the last few years are not a factor in her assessments. 


Edited by Slurpy - 3/18/14 at 4:39pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]