or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds] - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

So that's the funny thing about haters: their narrative about Apple keeps changing.

1. "Apple is a great company on the decline because its almost April and still nothing."
2. "Apple stole all their ideas and never really invented anything, unlike Samsung."

These are contradictory ideas about Apple, but the cognitive dissonance never registers with Fandroids.

Apple was beaten to market by Samsung in MP3 players, smartphones, tablets and TVs too. I'd say Apple has an extremely consistent track record of NOT being first to market. So why is NOT being first in the smartwatch market a sign of Apple in decline??? And, why are you postulating that Samsung was "first" in smartwatches when they were beaten to market by others like Pebble?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #42 of 113
April's fool is early in 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #43 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

One post troll alert! Does Sammy pay per account and per post?

Yes. Because only a Samsung troll would project their fantasy that Apple users would jump to Samsung because it sells a garish, redundant wrist gadget that iPhone users all secretly covet.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Where are all the anti-Samsung books? Oh yeah, noone is interested to read anything concerning Samsung. 

I am. It is a tremendously huge company which does ships, planes, as much as phones.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

 

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Reply
post #45 of 113

Read The Guardian's very unfavorable review of the book here:

 

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

 

"Great title, shame about the contents."

post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

Dilger / Kane debate live on WSJ d on Apple TV - I would pay for that

Macalope vs Kane would be much funnier. DED has a tendency to dig himself into holes he doesn't realize he's in.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

Reply

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

Reply
post #47 of 113

I believe she truly does understate Ive, like the CNBC interviewer is suggesting in the video from the link. Ive's role as spiritual companion to Jobs and not reporting to anyone at apple (as stated by SJ in his biography) allows Apple to keep the intersection between tech and liberal arts going, with two persons at helm: Cook like a more traditional CEO, and Ive like the design ethos of the company with still no reporting authority above him at the helm. Great thought has been put into keeping teams working together seamlessly, by going as far as to firing the brilliant but tacky Scott Forstall when he threatened to breed internal dissent and to try to stage a coup which, if successful, was prone to turn apple into a more tecky, dorky company à la Google. 

 

Apple stays brilliant. The author is welcome to stir conversation however, and as Cook points out, she's at par with the author of iCon (which jobs banned out of apple stores a few years back) and apple naysayer Daniel Lyons aka fake steve jobs (who later repented on dissing the iPad upon arrival).

post #48 of 113

this is what happens when Trolls decide to publish books.  Sadly they got the attention they wanted and fools will flock to buy their work. sad.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
Reply
post #49 of 113
More than years since Steve Jobs passed away and still there are people singing the litany of a doomed Apple... sad, very sad 1frown.gif
post #50 of 113
Haters will hate.
Apple has disrupted an entire tech industry with the iPad and they can't find a fu**ing way out the mess.
Apple forces other player's business model to get fu**ed.
Are you buying a new pc every 4 to 5 months like we did back in the days? Hell to the effing no!
And the notion Apple can't survive without Jobs is hilarious. Apple has become self aware of who it is and what it does and what should matter. IMHO!
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post
 

Read The Guardian's very unfavorable review of the book here:

 

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/10/haunted-empire-book-review

 

"Great title, shame about the contents."

 

I was gonna quote stuff, but as I read more and more, every paragraph making the book look worse and worse, I didn't know what to quote anymore. That review makes it clear that the book is complete trash.  Anyway, here's a couple for the heck of it:

 

Quote:
 

By this time, Kane has pretty much decided that because Apple’s current lineup doesn’t contain Steve Jobs, that it’s a busted flush. Unveiling the iPhone 5 in 2012, Cook is wooden on stage. Schiller’s touting of its larger screen (compared to previous iPhones) was - apparently - a jab at Samsung’s Galaxy Note. I missed that reference myself, though I was watching the same presentation. And “[Schiller’s] remark signalled Apple’s increasing vulnerability”. Huh? The iPhone 5 sold more than any previous iPhone. Vulnerability to what?

I found the bizarre attribution of meaning to events which didn’t seem to have meaning more and more intrusive.

 

Quote:
 A giant failing of this book is its focus only on Apple. You simply can’t write about its position without also writing about Google and Microsoft and their ambitions, at the very least. Their strategies are so interlocked, with each feinting while also trying to move to places the other wants to reach, that any examination of them in isolation is a map without landmarks. 

 

Quote:
 

Kane also falls prey to simplistic interpretation, thinking that because Google offered a maps app for the iPhone, that it would be a hit. That overlooks the power of defaults. (Google Maps is now hardly used on the iPhone compared to Apple Maps.) You have to understand how people use technology to give your readers context.

 

Quote:
 So should we conclude that post-Jobs, Apple won’t make stupid antitrust-breaching decisions? Or is it that his acts hang over the company like a pall - in which case, wouldn’t staff welcome moving on to new ground? Kane seems to want it both ways. Everything Jobs did was wonderful, except the stuff that left Apple screwed when it tried to do anything else. This, though, rests on the concept of the Immaculate Jobs, which anyone who’s covered Apple for any time will tell you is bunk. Tons of mistakes happened under his watch; and he could be as shortsighted as anyone, the two biggest examples being that he didn’t want third-party apps on the iPhone, and he didn’t want the iPod to work on Windows. If he’d prevailed, he would have sunk the company.

 

Quote:
 By this stage of the book (page 307) I was reading through whatever the visual equivalent of gritted teeth is. “The Red Chair” details, excruciatingly, Tim Cook’s hey-he’s-not-as-cool-as-Steve-Jobs appearance at the All Things D conference in May 2013. Kane clearly thinks he did poorly by not leaping to his feet and announcing a new iThing, or giving the crowd some ole Southern charm like a Bill Clinton of technology.

 

Quote:
 

Kane manages this with the book’s epilogue, which mentions the iPhone 5S with its fingerprint sensor in a single line. Apparently a new feature that loads of people use and which enhances their security (most phone users don’t use passcodes) and which comes from a company (Authentec) bought after Steve Jobs died, well, that’s not interesting. But the lower-priced iPhone 5C and its failure to mimic hot cakes sales-wise in its first month? Now you’ve got something doomy to write about! (Sales of the 5C have picked up since the new year, following price cuts. You’d almost think Apple had some sort of strategy there rather than doing this stuff randomly.) The “gold iPhone” is compared unfavourably to blue-sky research from Google on understanding death, which was enthusiastically hyped up by tech bloggers.

Only one of those two things, though, is on sale now; the other might never happen. Google kills a lot of projects, in case people had forgotten. Do you prefer your innovation in the palm of your hand, or in an uncertain future?

 

Yeah I'll stop. The link is worth a read. Confirms what I suspected about the book- it's an empty, agenda-driven pile of drivel that insults readers.

post #52 of 113
Sounds like typical WSJ nonsense

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #53 of 113
She was on Marketplace this evening, and she knows less than she thinks about how Apple works, and speculates all too much on - for lack of a better term - WWSD?

I'd like her to list one thing that Steve would do differently from what Tim has done. Probably nothing of consequence.

Rule 1 about writing a book is get people talking about your book. She's succeeding.
post #54 of 113

Wowser. Sounds like this week's issues of the National Enquirer and The Onion have some serious competition to contend with thanks to Ms Kane!

 

Everyone loves a good fight, but I got my money on The Onion. At least it's funny.

post #55 of 113

I think Apple's software division is sucking. Hardware is great. 

 

I have frequent problems I didn't have in the past. Worse, Apple is aware of the problems, but they don't seem to be timely about addressing. Like Mail, which I stopped using when I lost mail (using Airmail, thank you very much).

 

Now problem (today) is using Numbers. Made spreadsheet in Excel, works fine in Numbers and Numbers on the web. But does not work with iOS (does not show up on phone).

 

I had to copy and paste data from each tab into a new spreadsheet, screwing up the formatting.

 

New problem? Issue on iOS with fonts. Others having same problem for a long time.

 

And, like a lot of people, the Apple fetish with circle designs everywhere doesn't work well. And iOS icons, to start, are pretty ugly and inconsistent.

 

Off my rant...

 

Edit: Solution: From Numbers, export and email offending spreadsheet as Excel file. Save from email and open in Numbers. Problem fixed.

 

(Apple user for 30+ years)


Edited by pfisher - 3/18/14 at 6:01pm
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

Confirms what I suspected about the book- it's an empty, agenda-driven pile of drivel that insults readers.

 

The book sounds like it started with the conclusion that a post-Steve Apple was doomed and worked backwards to support that world view with negative interpretations of actual events, such as Tim Cook's appearance at All Things D. Steve Jobs not unveiled any products at All Things D either, but somehow, they overlook this and declare that it's proof of whatever they've already concluded. It's argument by non sequitur

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #57 of 113

Unfortunately no one ever loses a job or their reputation writing anti-Apple bullshit. The majority of the world now wants morally bankrupt companies like Google and Samsung. Apple is the punching bag for these assholes. I think the problem for them is that Apple makes them, and the companies that they favour, look bad. And rather than be better they want the comparison not to be able to be made.

 

"The rage of Caliban on seeing himself in a mirror".

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
post #58 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
 

 

Bullshit should always be called out.

 

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

 

Nope. Mr. Cook should have ignored the book and its author. The author’s response proves that point. She is overjoyed that Cook took exception to the book. It will increase sales, is great PR for her, it’s a win-win for her. She can’t lose now.

post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Nope. Mr. Cook should have ignored the book and its author. The author’s response proves that point. She is overjoyed that Cook took exception to the book. It will increase sales, is great PR for her, it’s a win-win for her. She can’t lose now.

 

Actually, having seen her response, I agree.

post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I disagree because it is futile. The more Apple reacts, the more Apple will be attacked.

 

Which is precisely why Tim Cook should have ignored the book and its author.

post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The book sounds like it started with the conclusion that a post-Steve Apple was doomed and worked backwards to support that world view with negative interpretations of actual events, such as Tim Cook's appearance at All Things D. Steve Jobs not unveiled any products at All Things D either, but somehow, they overlook this and declare that it's proof of whatever they've already concluded. It's argument by non sequitur
Here's all you need to know about this author and this book. She believes Steve wanted Apple to decline, to be less successful after he died.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/steve-jobs-wouldnt-want-tim-cook-do-better-he-did

Steve Jobs was a man of no small ego. What do you think he would have thought of the troubles that Tim Cook is having now and the situation Apple finds itself in?
Quote:
“I have talked to people who knew Steve who speculate that part of the reason he chose Tim Cook was that he knew Tim Cook would do a good job leading Apple and running the business, but that he knew that he also wasn’t going to exceed Steve Jobs at being Steve Jobs. His legacy wouldn’t be complete until Apple was seen to fade a little bit.”

Do you think Steve Jobs would be taking a little pleasure in Tim Cook’s struggle?
Quote:
“The first time it was announced that Steve Jobs had cancer the stock fell only 2 percent. And Steve’s reaction was, ‘That’s it?’ He was very disappointed. So he wouldn’t want Tim Cook to do better than he did.”
post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Which is precisely why Tim Cook should have ignored the book and its author.
She's getting a lot of attention as it is because Apple is good click bait and good for ratings. But the book is getting crap ratings so I doubt it will sell much.
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

Well maybe if apple actually put out new products, something creative, and actually maintained its word by making a splash in 2014, they would receive less criticism. Its almost april and still nothing. Samsung has now outdone apples phone, and released a smart watch and a second gen smartwatch. Apple has nothing but court battles to show for its victories. Maybe if customers started to jump ship a bit more to samsung apple might start making better products faster.

 

It should be AI policy that new forum members should not be allowed to post or respond for two weeks after joining. That would stop a lot of this one post trolling that goes on. If you are truly interested in participating you can wait a week or two before doing do.

post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post
 

"Update: In a statement emailed to Re/code, Kane said her book "must have touched a nerve" with Cook and is pleased the account has started a conversation about post-Jobs Apple."

 

In other words; Tim took the bait.

And had he not the narrative would have stood.

 

Even Hershey's had to start advertising.... "I make good chocolate" only goes so far.

Not sure I get the Hershey's analogy, but if you are suggesting that Tim Cook is NOW finally starting to respond to bad (erroneous and biased) press about Apple, all I have to say is "you've got to be kidding, right?…"

post #65 of 113

See that Tim... you "started a conversation". Why did you do that? Should have just ignored her or told he to go pound sand in half a sentence and no more.

post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Here's all you need to know about this author and this book. She believes Steve wanted Apple to decline, to be less successful after he died.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/steve-jobs-wouldnt-want-tim-cook-do-better-he-did

Steve Jobs was a man of no small ego. What do you think he would have thought of the troubles that Tim Cook is having now and the situation Apple finds itself in?
Do you think Steve Jobs would be taking a little pleasure in Tim Cook’s struggle?

 

Wow. I find those quotes of hers particularly despicable, and a punch in the gut to the memory of Jobs. She's actually stating that Steve Jobs WANTED Apple to fail after his death, instead of to flourish? Apple, the company that SJ founded, brought back from the dead, dedicated his life to, and loved more than words can do justice? In her mind, he would believe that Apple falling would have a more positive effect on his legacy than becoming even more successful? This goes to show the utter depths of her ignorance, pettiness, and stupidity- and how she possesses not even the most basic understanding of someone like Steve Jobs or what drove him. The suggestion that he would have wished for the demise of Apple is not only absurd, it's a grotesque spit in the face to the dead. 

 

The "that's it?" comment was obviously a tongue in cheek joke- I'd imagine I'd have the same response if I'd been told the same thing. Instead, she twists it into a sincere form of disappointment from Jobs that the stock didn't tank even more. As if Jobs would take sincere joy in the financial detriment of his company. 

 

..And someone who thinks this stunningly misguided way has published a book about Apple, which is being publicized like no tomorrow as an enlightening read, and having merit. Just absolutely stunning. 

post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

See that Tim... you "started a conversation". Why did you do that? Should have just ignored her or told he to go pound sand in half a sentence and no more.
But he didn't. She was already interviewed by NPR CNBC, Marketwatch and the New York Times. There are already reviews of her book out there. Cook didn't start the conversation.
post #68 of 113
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
See that Tim... you "started a conversation". Why did you do that? Should have just ignored her or told he to go pound sand in half a sentence and no more.


Pull a Dalrymple, perhaps?

 

Interviewer: What do you think of this new book out about Apple, Tim?
Tim: Nope.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

a bit like most people who post on any company specific website such as Appleinsider.

It gives me no pleasure, but nor does it surprise me, to say that the comments dripping with the most unfounded cynicism and lie tend to come from the anti-Apple brigade.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

Tim should never have called this book nonsense.  To slam the book is only to empower and draw attention to it.

He should have said, "I'm not familiar with the book.  I haven't read it" or something similar.

Tone of: vague dismissal, he's too busy even to think about a gnat buzzing around.

Jews should never have stood up to the Nazis. They should have submitted to the Nazi's orders, lest they should be rounded up, shot at random and gassed in their millions.
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
Reply
post #71 of 113

The patient wait in anticipation,

each day a memory to treasure.

The shrill shrew writes a new

Dribbles of vexation.

 

A slippery slope to gather coin

What sells makes up the matter

But peace and truth lay idle by,

Less meaning in her chatter.

 

The Apple cherished will not buy,

The negative too cheap to bother.

The time it takes to pass a stool

Is cherished beyond this clatter.

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

April. OMG, I didn't realize that they changed the end of the year to month #4!

Samsung has done nothing to "outdone" the iPhone. The S5 has been greeted with a "meh" both by reviewers and by buyers. Their smart watches are such duds that they're giving them away with purchase of a TV. The reason customers don't jump ship from Apple to Samsung is because Apple isn't in the junk business.




The s5 has more memory, processing, sensors, a bigger screen, higher resolution, higher megapixel cam, heart rate sensor, etc etc, while maintaining a battery life equal to iphone 5s. Apple is still "trying" to work in a bigger display, and i can put a good bet on the reason it takes apple so long to do anything, is because they are trying their hardest to make their devices less like samsung devices, however apple tends to wait and see what samsung does, and then apple includes features similar, but with an apple twist of course. It had been this way since steve passed away. You cannot argue the facts. Yes apple has a few things they do well on, but they couldnt give a rats ass about getting customers great and newer more advanced products, because they know apple fans will buy anything they release. They are sitting on over $150,000,000,000 dollars. They can afford to take some risks and place more into development. Free watches with a tv is product placement. Not because they are doing horrible. If it was a dud device, they would not have made a new model. i am not a fan of samsung at all. But ive upgraded every iphone when they came out and honestly i fell like i have had the same phone for the past 5 years. And i hattteeee how apple delegates the memory in its devices. Memory is really cheap now, and to run todays media, multiple apps, etc etc, along with storage needs, you need to have way more than the offered ram and memory they give you.

Its also one of the most unwise decisions to not release something great around tax time, everyone getting refunds, but nobody wants the ipad thats about to be outdated and the ipad that does not have touch id, when their phones already have it. When switching from using the iphone to the current ipad, you feel like youre switching to older tech, because it has lesser features.
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It should be AI policy that new forum members should not be allowed to post or respond for two weeks after joining. That would stop a lot of this one post trolling that goes on. If you are truly interested in participating you can wait a week or two before doing do.


Your idea lacks any meaningful sense. I signed up after having the app and reading the articles for over a year, i just decided to get involved with the forums lightly. I stand by what i have said. The fact that we have seen nothing so far is a sign that they have much less than we expected, because apple is too smart to just release everything all together. But the samsung devices are surpassing iPhones in features and that is a fact. Im not a samsung fan, but im so tired of these tiny ass iphones that have looked the same for the past 4 years.
post #74 of 113
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post
But the samsung devices are surpassing iPhones in features and that is a fact.

 

I see where you’re confused. A ‘fact’ is something that is true.

 
Im not a samsung fan, but…

 

Just shut up and go away.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

[trollish garbage]

 

I'm going to ask you 2 Qs before I block you:

 

1. I noticed you conveniently left out the S5 fingerprint sensor out of your list of "features". Why? Also, what do you have to say to the fact that while every single hands-on has stated that the finger print sensor is unreliable, awkward to use, poorly thought out, and almost impossible to use with one hand, TouchID pretty much perfected the solution- 5 months ago? Are you proud of these shitty implementations of features? Would you want Apple to adopt such a strategy? Do you not care that the S5 fingerprint sensor, is by all accounts, complete shit? Of course you don't- because it's not on an Apple product, so you'll let shittiness pass. What about 64bit? Again, you conveniently skip that part. 

 

2. Do you not realize that the 5S was released a full 5 months ago, while the S5 isn't even out yet? That's 6 full months between launches. Do you not think this is a relevant factor when doing a spec-for-spec processing comparison (since processing power doubles every year) or are you being purposefully deceitful and obtuse? Also, do you know of a single person on the entire fucking planet that has experienced slowdown on a 5S? I haven't. If not- then why is this even relevant to mention? It's not 1995 anymore. Stop playing the deceitful spec game. 


Edited by Slurpy - 3/18/14 at 8:57pm
post #76 of 113
"This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple," Cook said.

A polite way of saying they've all be used for wiping his butt.

The problem is that it seems this book is so crap it might be doing the reverse to the job Tim has assigned it.
post #77 of 113
I don't think Tim was starting a conversation. He was ending one.
post #78 of 113
Dudes! So glad to see the cookster striking back! If I were working for Apple , that would be SO GOOD for my morale.

Of course there IS a conversation. But it's about what a crappybook this is.

Not what most authors hope for.
post #79 of 113

Yukari Iwatani Kane is an idiot and probably received money from Samdung to write that trash. They can't build quality phones to outperform the iPhone so they try and pay people to carry their brand. She had Samdung laptops and tablets but probably typed it all up on a Macbook Pro... LMAO

post #80 of 113
Apple is the most watched company in the world. You better know what you're talking about if you are going to write a book about it otherwise there will be hundreds of people who could easily tear your work to bits if you stumble into even the smallest factual error or the slightest implausible opinion. I noticed that Ms. Kane started reporting on Apple only in 2011. So she wasn't really paying attention during the period spanning the iPhone and iPad introductions, and the years prior to that. No wonder she has a very shallow grasp of what Apple and Steve Jobs is all about.

I don't think her journalistic transgressions reach down to Judith Miller levels, but this sort of shoddy research and analysis is the sort of work that ruins a nonfiction writer's reputation. I don't really ascribe it to malice on her part, just sheer intellectual laziness-- she decided to start writing before answering the question "Have I grokked Apple enough to write about it?" Obviously, the answer is "No".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook slams new anti-Apple book as 'nonsense' [update: author responds]