or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rev. Jesse Jackson targets Apple, Google, HP, others in tech racial diversity campaign
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rev. Jesse Jackson targets Apple, Google, HP, others in tech racial diversity campaign - Page 3

post #81 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

Gotta Fill the pool.  This isn't about taking some schmoe off the street and putting him on the Board.   This is executive grooming.   Large Corps pride themselves in their executive development (Apple, actually doesn't do what the military and GE do, which transfer their protege's into other divisions to get a feel of the 'whole company' - they are very 'up from the bottom' mode).  

 

The problem won't be solved tomorrow.  But the solution can be started today.

I agree with your, and that was my point.  Lack of diversity on corporate boards is a symptom of lack of diversity at other levels of society.  African Americans are less likely to complete HS, less likely to attend college, less likely to graduate from college, less likely to major in the sciences, etc.  So why is it a surprise that tech companies don't have large number of African American developers, middle managers, and executives?

 

This is like arguing that the Nobel Prize in Medicine is racist because (I assume) most winners have been white or Asian.

post #82 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

That's your assertion that you're trying to label as a fact. Where's the data to support your assertion?

Can't I just use Jesse Jackson's own assertion?  According to his speech there are "ZERO" minorities in the "C-suite" of major corporations.

 

If that's not credible (which of course it isn't), I could spend a few minutes (or seconds) searching for evidence of "number of minorities executives at fortune 500 companies (or executives at similarly large government or non-profit enterprises)" but I'll leave that as a exercise for the reader.

post #83 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post
 

The simple fact that an article pointing out an obvious fact managed to draw out such blatant racism on this thread speaks volumes. 
Rule of thumb... if you start a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but..." then you're probably about to say something stupid and racist.
I think I spotted just about every race-based dog whistle so far.

Good job techies!

Ick.  Anyone who has to refer to "dog whistles" loses my interest fast.  "It's not what you actually said that I disagree with, it's what I infer you meant based on my interpretation of the subtle clues in your text--you can't fool me."  Meh.

post #84 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


I'm sorry but the best people for the job can't be all of one race.

Ok, here goes:

 

If you owned a company and needed to hire 3 sales people and you had 5 people apply for the job. 3 white people with sales experience and 2 African Americans with no sales experience.

 

Would you be a racist for only hiring the white applicants?

post #85 of 270

Does he know the high tech industry is highly competitive?  If the employee can not perform he is easily fired.  If the company can not compete it will be gone in no time.  How can a high tech company hire anyone that can not do the job? 

post #86 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post

Ok, here goes:

If you owned a company and needed to hire 3 sales people and you had 5 people apply for the job. 3 white people with sales experience and 2 African Americans with no sales experience.

Would you be a racist for only hiring the white applicants?

No but if you have 3 white people and 3 black people with similar experience and hire the 3 whites, that is racist.
post #87 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


No but if you have 3 white people and 3 black people with similar experience and hire the 3 whites, that is racist.

Correct.

post #88 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

No but if you have 3 white people and 3 black people with similar experience and hire the 3 whites, that is racist.

Is it? What if two "white" applicants were hired instead of three? What if one "white" applicant is hired?

Arbitrary quotas based on race are racist. The end.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #89 of 270
So it's evident that Jackson has seen an Apple keynote: A bunch of white guys with white guy names preceding and following a bunch of other white guys, all wearing white guy clothing.

Now that I mention it, wow, it really is a boys' club.
post #90 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyer View Post
 

Ok, here goes:

 

If you owned a company and needed to hire 3 sales people and you had 5 people apply for the job. 3 white people with sales experience and 2 African Americans with no sales experience.

 

Would you be a racist for only hiring the white applicants?

Frankly, I don't care if it would be considered "racist."  But I could also see plenty of reasons for hiring one or both of the minority candidates.  First off, experience is just one part of an applicant's resume.  If the experience white guys are mumbling boobs and the minorities are well-spoken, enthusiastic go-getters, I know who I'd choose.  And depending on the location of my store (for a retail job) or the nature of my customers, I might even give preferen.... uh nevermind.  I mean I might see the value in having a diverse sales force to better understand the diverse nature of my clients.  That might not work for a paper company, but it would certainly be relevant for a clothing gig.

post #91 of 270

Because this involves Jesse Jackson and large billion dollar companies it made big news. But what you don't see are the much smaller cases of enforced diversity training courses all over the country. One such example involved a friend of mine who is a teacher. She has been star teacher numerous times and has won many teaching awards. She does not have a racist bone in her body.  Her school district paid over $300,000 for a 3 day seminar to a groups of scammers from a company called Pacific Educational Group that immediately began to verbally assault all the white teachers and told them whether they think they are racist or not they are racist. It was a complete scam and set back race relations in the district and accomplished absolutely nothing. The teachers were absolutely devastated and demoralized after 3 days of forced verbal assaults. 

 

This is the guy that became extremely wealthy by charging poor school districts hundreds of thousands of dollars to give a seminar for a few days and explain why all white people are racists and it is impossible for blacks to ever be racist. His name is Glen Singleton. If you ever hear that your school district are considering bringing his company for a seminar do everything you can to make sure that does not happen.

http://www.openmarket.org/2007/12/12/glenn-singletons-racism-and-the-arlington-public-schools/

post #92 of 270

First: get them to complete high school at the same rate

Second: get them to enroll in the appropriate majors in college at the same rate
Third: get them to graduate at the same rate
Fourth: get them hired at entry level jobs at the same rate
Fifth: get them work to get promoted at the same rate
 
Finally: get them promoted to senior executive positions at the same rate
post #93 of 270
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post
How can a high tech company hire anyone that can not do the job? 

 

Careful. You’re ableist for saying that.

 

Originally Posted by MACT View Post
First: get them to complete high school at the same rate
Second: get them to enroll in the appropriate majors in college at the same rate
Third: get them to graduate at the same rate
Fourth: get them hired at entry level jobs at the same rate
Fifth: get them work to get promoted at the same rate
 
Finally: get them promoted to senior executive positions at the same rate

 

Seems they want the cabbage before the corn. Or… you know.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #94 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Is it? What if two "white" applicants were hired instead of three? What if one "white" applicant is hired?

Arbitrary quotas based on race are racist. The end.

1 and 2 person hiring is different. I'm not arguing for quotas but if you're white and you hire three white people over the other qualified candidates who happen to be a minority, all else being equal, because you feel more comfortable, then that's racist.
post #95 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Putting aside the aroma of a reputed Jessie Jackson shakedown, I mostly agree with both of you.


But, I prefer direct affirmative action -- rather than getting the governments/politicians involved ...


For example, couldn't these companies better address the problems of the middd class and poor by creating jobs in depressed areas -- Detroit, for example.


NY, AZ, TX and others give tax incentives to entice job creation in their states -- Companies that take advantage of these incentives tend to create support jobs (construction, services, etc.) in addition to the direct employment. The fanout benefits the entire community -- not to mention the satisfaction of earning your own way!


I also would rather see investment in direct affirmative action as opposed to token board members.
And I would posit  that 'token' is a bad choice of words (or was it?)   I think 'Board members who can best represent our global community of owners, employees and customers'

Job creation in the knowledge industry is less about creating 'jobs' in Detroit, than to 'educate for the new economy' in Detroit.   That's where the problem lies.  Education is based on property values and people with no excess capital for community reinvestment (due to 100's of years of not being allowed to earn/retain wealth, ending... well, it may not have ended just yet [see 'The New Jim Crowe' book];-( ).

It takes a board member block of votes to support a CxO to make a decision to invest in a community.   But it also takes a set of middle and director level managers who are capable and comfortable to fight for success of the program, as there will be risks that need to be addressed in execution.

I chose the word token * with care, considered the ramifications -- then decided to go with it.

* done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture

To me, action mostly trumps appearances.


I do agree that "creating jobs in Detroit" is not as important as education, and other deficiencies. However, it is a beginning, and more readily attainable than addressing the socio-poitical issues which comes with attendant involvement of governments and politicians.

When I worked for IBM, they put a cable manufacturing plant in a rundown neighborhood of Bedford-Styvasant:
Quote:
IBM Brooklyn plant

A bridge to opportunities: The IBM Brooklyn plant

Brooklyn, N.Y., has been renowned for its churches, Coney Island beach and boardwalk, loveable baseball bums ( the Dodgers), historic Navy yard and world-famous suspension bridge.

In IBM, Brooklyn has also been known for a pioneering company effort to create and provide manufacturing jobs in an economically depressed inner-city community of nearly half a million people (nearly the size of Minneapolis), most of whom were minorities.

On April 17, 1968, IBM announced that it would open a manufacturing facility in a leased building at Gates and Nostrand Avenues in the borough's Bedford-Stuyvesant area. IBM Chairman Thomas J. Watson, Jr., said at the time:

Establishing a new manufacturing activity is always a milestone for our company. This is all the more meaningful in the case of Bedford-Stuyvesant, where the requirement for new job opportunities is so acute. We will do our best to be responsive to the needs of the area and look forward to being part of the community.

Watson had decided that IBM needed to go beyond the government aid programs of the 1960s that had made possible corporate sponsorship of such projects as Job Corps Centers. He selected "Bed-Sty" because it had not received much attention from private business and because, two years earlier, the late Senator Robert F. Kennedy had asked Watson to serve on the Board of Directors of the newly-formed Bedford-Stuyvesant Development and Service Corporation -- a combined public/private effort to rehabilitate the area.

The new plant -- staffed initially by about 17 people beginning in July 1968 and by more than 300 a year later -- began business by manufacturing computer cables for use in IBM's entire standard computer line. Ernest K. Friedli, a 21-year IBM veteran, was named as the plant's first general manager.

Brooklyn plant management team in
May 1968 Ernest K. Friedli (seated), general manager of IBM's Brooklyn, N.Y., plant, with members of the facility's management team in May 1968. Shown from left are Henry Jackson, manager of personnel; John W. Lawson, production control manager; Edgar A. Fitt, information manager; Alfred J. Iannone, manager, plans and operations; Matthew Whithead, II, legal counsel; Eugene E. Douglas, manager of manufacturing operations; Dean M. Kintner, staff assistant; and Eric J. Flood, controller.

Cable production was started on July 8, 1968 in a small area on the second floor. Brooklyn's first shipment of external cables went to IBM's huge Poughkeepsie plant, in upstate New York. Four months later, the Brooklyn site took on a second product mission: the manufacture of power supplies for the IBM 029 card punch and the IBM 059 card verifier. Power supply units provided the exact amounts of electrical power necessary to operate these machines, and Brooklyn began shipping its first completed power supply units to IBM's Kingston, N.Y., factory in January 1969.

...

In foreground, John R. Opel, IBM president and chief executive officer, with Henry Bing, Jr., left, general manager, and Herbert Bruce, right, sub-products manager, first shift, in 1981.

In 1993, the Brooklyn plant became an independent, minority-owned business when IBM transferred its ownership to Advanced Technological Solutions Inc., a new business consisting mainly of former managers and employees of the facility. ATSI continued to perform the same services for IBM as before, along with additional work for non-IBM customers.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/brooklyn/brooklyn_1.html

I skipped over part of the article, but if you read through it, you will see the progress that this type of endeavor can make.

Unfortunately, the story becomes one political/governments meddling ... You can surf and form your own opinions.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #96 of 270
If we want racism to die we need to stop pulling the race card and/or "investigating racial diversity" in corporate America. I HIGHLY doubt when high level interviews are conducted there are conversations that go something like this, "I think they're a good candidate but you know I just can't get over the fact that he/she's (insert your favorite color here)."
post #97 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephFriedrich View Post

I'm completely against racism and the exclusion of women. But the population is still made up of a white majority. And a large part of the women in the US still haven't even entered the workforce. So it does seem a little harsh for Mr. Jackson to say that the only reason for most senior officials in US companies being white and male, is racism and discrimination.

Racism/discrimination is a cumulative effect.  What happened to people of color 20-40 years ago (and their parents and grandparents before them) basically eliminated them as potential candidates [didn't go to the right school, haven't worked up the corporate ladder, not economically self sufficient because no generational wealth accumulation].  Jesse is saying effectively that the bastion of white maledom needs affirmative action.

 

And... check your stats.  US Bureau of Labor statistics says 'a large part' of women over 17 are working or looking for work.

 

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2011/ted_20111223.htm

 

and those women that do are actively discriminated against, so much so that it took an act of congress (and 2 tries at that, with corporate lobbyist's screaming at the top of their lungs about the lost profits to shareholders [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilly_Ledbetter_Fair_Pay_Act_of_2009]) to force pay equity.

 

As for 'White [Male] Majority'   I think Jesse's point is that we're long past 'majority = winner and winner take all [board spots]' and our executive leadership should reflect the constituencies of the consumer, the stockholder and the employee.  His message may be grating to some, but it's that's what hard truth is to those who have to give up power for global justice.

post #98 of 270
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

And... check your stats.  US Bureau of Labor statistics says 'a large part' of women over 17 are working or looking for work.

 

Wouldn’t that be more due to the fact that ~30% of the country is out of work than anything else?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #99 of 270

So no movement since this was last raised as an issue?  Disappointing.  Even a simply statement on the company's equality and diversity policy would help here.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #100 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheredy View Post

If we want racism to die we need to stop pulling the race card and/or "investigating racial diversity" in corporate America. I HIGHLY doubt when high level interviews are conducted there are conversations that go something like this, "I think they're a good candidate but you know I just can't get over the fact that he/she's (insert your favorite color here)."

Racism is more refined that that.   

 

"He didn't go to Harvard.... like this guy"

"His net worth makes us queasy he can't dedicate the time to the position"

"She has a 14 yo child"

 

You don't have to say it... you just have to have enough people to 'think it'.

post #101 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
 

 

Well I think we should have a WET awards and TV station. I mean it's only fair right?

 

The BET is the perfect example of "hey we don't practice what we preach."

 

WET would fail.  What programming could you put on that ABC, CBS and NBC don't already cover?   The minute you put some fool from Amren on your advertisers would flee.  Really only small groups/culture need specific programming that isn't readily available on larger channels. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This is another case of someone preaching that black people should be included because they are black, regardless how smart they are.

Satya Nadella is Indian and he's CEO of Microsoft.

 

As one poster said before.  The important part is leveling the playing field for our K-12 academic institutions.  The key ingredient of poverty often is a single parent household, local schools in disrepair and drug usage. 

 

If we eradicate the chasm between these schools and provide a safe environment for all kids we will see much better results in our school.  The War on Drugs has failed (unless you consider it a victory that we incarcerate a ridiculous amount of people) 

 

I'm not concerned with now as much as I'm concerned with kids entertaining the education processes without the necessary tools to afford them the option of chasing STEM degrees.  

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #102 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Wouldn’t that be more due to the fact that ~30% of the country is out of work than anything else?

not to his stats, and out of work means still means in the workforce pool.... just drowning.

post #103 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


1 and 2 person hiring is different. I'm not arguing for quotas but if you're white and you hire three white people over the other qualified candidates who happen to be a minority, all else being equal, because you feel more comfortable, then that's racist.

Well sure if you change the rules of the game by adding in "because you feel more comfortable" then yes I'd qualify that as racist.  But if we get to change the wording, then I could say "if you hired 3 white people out of a pool of 3 and 3 based solely on their resume and nothing on their resume would suggest their races then you're not racist."  The answer is "it depends."

post #104 of 270
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
still means in the workforce pool. just drowning.

 

That’s great; I’ll have to use that.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #105 of 270
What the Rev. ought to be targeting is all the gang bangers and rappers who decay society.
post #106 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 

Racism is more refined that that.  

 

"He didn't go to Harvard.... like this guy"

"His net worth makes us queasy he can't dedicate the time to the position"

"She has a 14 yo child"

 

You don't have to say it... you just have to have enough people to 'think it'.

 

Right because anyone giving preference to Harvard grad is clearly really thinking about race.  We all know that a Cal State Fullerton grad is just as smart and well-prepared as an ivy league grad.

post #107 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

…your assumption and yours alone, based in absolutely nothing said or implied by me. So try again.

Yes, implied by omission. By oversimplification and only stating one very narrow pov you are implying. You will deny this but your comment was frivolous and silly. Nobody is arguing that one should not employ the best candidate but that is hardly the issue, is it? So, I don't have to try again. You know it.

post #108 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


Putting aside the aroma of a reputed Jessie Jackson shakedown, I mostly agree with both of you.

But, I prefer direct affirmative action -- rather than getting the governments/politicians involved ...

For example, couldn't these companies better address the problems of the middle class and poor by creating jobs in depressed areas -- Detroit, for example.

NY, AZ, TX and others give tax incentives to entice job creation in their states -- Companies that take advantage of these incentives tend to create support jobs (construction, services, etc.) in addition to the direct employment. The fanout benefits the entire community -- not to mention the satisfaction of earning your own way!

I also would rather see investment in direct affirmative action as opposed to token board members.

 

Which policy response is best really depends on what the source of the problem is. If there are a lot of productive people out there who are poor just because of some irrational prejudice on the part of firm managers, then affirmative action makes sense (though that would definitely require government involvement). But I don't think that's the main problem we face today. I think the main problem is significant inequality in access to resources, starting at birth. This unequal access may affect people from some races more than others, but the people affected definitely span all races, genders, etc.  

post #109 of 270
Hi,

I do not believe that it is a major issue for these tech companies.
I as a user, would like to have the best products abd services regardless of the color abd race of the employes.
This is all political shit, all these companies have offices all around the world with many races on payroll.
If a white man is better then a blak man that means he is better and that is it.
In Europe we do not have this situation due to a different sociaty but that is wrong only when you are good and they do no hire you. There are laws for that. Stop moping and study to be great at something.
post #110 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasybuzzz View Post

Hi,

I do not believe that it is a major issue for these tech companies.
I as a user, would like to have the best products abd services regardless of the color abd race of the employes.
This is all political shit, all these companies have offices all around the world with many races on payroll.
If a white man is better then a blak man that means he is better and that is it.
In Europe we do not have this situation due to a different sociaty but that is wrong only when you are good and they do no hire you. There are laws for that. Stop moping and study to be great at something.

Right... no racism in Europe.  Congratulations.  Oh wait, has their ever been a person of color as the president or prime minister of a Western European country?

post #111 of 270

Silicon Valley is one of the purest meritocracies we have; in fact, aside from sports, practically the only one left. There is nothing preventing the next Steve Jobs, Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg being non-white/non-male, so if Jesse Jackson wants to help, it's the self-image and self-respect of young under-represented kids that need the help. Not artificially stuffing the boards of already successful companies will 'representation' from under-prepared people.

 

I deplore bigotry and exclusion, it's completely unacceptable, but the answer is not a back door to the top, it's an even playing field at the start.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #112 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

This is another case of someone preaching that black people should be included because they are black, regardless how smart they are.

Satya Nadella is Indian and he's CEO of Microsoft.

sigh.

 

what he's saying is people of color are people, and given the same education, experience, and opportunities, succeed at the same rate Western European people do.  But they are not given the same education, experience, or opportunities.

 

India is one of the most racist/discriminatory/misogynist cultures in the world.   Should I infer the head of Microsoft is Racist.  No.  My point being, you didn't make a point... you provided data.  It's like saying we're post-racial because the leader of the free world is Part African (and part American, but by definition not 'African-American' [family heritage begins in the slave era]).  We're Post Racial and Anti-Racist when it's an engrained part of our peopleness, whether a community or corporation.

post #113 of 270

this guy will always be "martin l. king" wanna be. just an idiot.

post #114 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Well sure if you change the rules of the game by adding in "because you feel more comfortable" then yes I'd qualify that as racist.  But if we get to change the wording, then I could say "if you hired 3 white people out of a pool of 3 and 3 based solely on their resume and nothing on their resume would suggest their races then you're not racist."  The answer is "it depends."

Yes but it's implied that people hire those they are comfortable with.
post #115 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


Which is what I suspect Apple does.
Yeah some people are born stupid, you don't expect them to get promoted or work their way up the corporate ladder. As to African Americans , how many are in the tech industry to begin with, especially the computing related areas? Not many from what I can see. I've meet a few mechanical and electrical engineers but few focused on this industry.

As to inequalities I really think you blow things out of proportion. I've meant many African Americans working in the trenches so to speak just like me. Like me many don't want to involve themselves in the corporate ladder climbing community.
The alternative is simple, get off your dead ass and work for it. That is if you really want it.
This is exactly what is wrong with the country right now and why I reject this non sense. Frankly I'm not even a republican but do believe I have enough social experience that handouts solve nothing. In fact they create more problems than they eliminate. The worst result of such policies is the placement of idiots in positions they can't handle.

 

I think you are living in a 1978-era Reagan fantasy if you think that the only variation (or even the primary variation) in income and wealth is due to how hard people work. 

 

I'm not arguing that how hard people work is totally unrelated to income and wealth, but the relationship is not as strong as I think you would like to imagine. 

 

I'd say the primary sources of variation in income and wealth are due to (in decreasing order of importance):

 

1. How smart you work, not how hard

2. Random chance

3. Inherited wealth

4. How hard you work

 

If income and wealth were driven only by numbers 1 and 4, I'd be mostly opposed to redistribution. 

 

But I think #2 and #3 are a big deal, and that #3 is gaining in importance to a level that is becoming really troubling. 

post #116 of 270
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes, implied by omission.

 

Yes, you omitted what I said and substituted your own reality.

 
Nobody is arguing that one should not employ the best candidate but that is hardly the issue, is it?

 

Sounds like it’s exactly the issue. The best candidates are already being hired.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #117 of 270
I really don't know what Jackson has to say (didn't read it) but if his goal is to get "minorities" at higher levels in these companies to make them look racially diverse like a Disney Kids TV shows or Gap commercial then I disagree with that myopic, not seeing the forest-for-the-trees solution. But if his goal is to get better education for "minorities," which tend to have additional hurdles in the States due to cultural and economic differences, so there is a larger pool of people with the aptitude, training and experience to lead these companies into the future then I am all for it.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/19/14 at 10:04am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #118 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Which is what I suspect Apple does.
Yeah some people are born stupid, you don't expect them to get promoted or work their way up the corporate ladder. As to African Americans , how many are in the tech industry to begin with, especially the computing related areas? Not many from what I can see.


It also isn't enough for them to join the tech industry - most good programmers start at age 12, the one that start in college are the ones doing it because it is easy money.   African Americans probably need a cultural change that gets age 12 kids to start programming if they want to generate a bunch of good programmers - and before somebody says that they can't afford that, microcontroller kits are very cheap.

45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #119 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post
 


It also isn't enough for them to join the tech industry - most good programmers start at age 12, the one that start in college are the ones doing it because it is easy money.   African Americans probably need a cultural change that gets age 12 kids to start programming if they want to generate a bunch of good programmers - and before somebody says that they can't afford that, microcontroller kits are very cheap.

First, I doubt that "most good programmers" start at age 12.  And kids who are programming at age 12 are almost certainly on the very high end of the intellectual bell curve (who were also lucky enough to have the parental resources to explore their interests).  Throwing a microcontroller kit to your average 12 year old won't get you very far.

post #120 of 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post
 

 

Right because anyone giving preference to Harvard grad is clearly really thinking about race.  We all know that a Cal State Fullerton grad is just as smart and well-prepared as an ivy league grad.

bias takes many forms... and American Racism at the elite level is highly refined, because, it's the root of it [racism is a variation on 'devine right'... the powers of the universe ordain me and 'people like me' to control everything I want to control.   The trick is, to convince others they have a chance to 'be like me' and use whatever form of bigotry that works for them to align with my goals. 

 

Again, the key item is discrimination.   A lot of white guys are discriminated against too.   I'm saying that exclusivity ('we're the best and the brightest, based on external attributes) and privilege (the ether by which white male supremacy permeates all it wishes to control) are part and parcel of classism and it's most destructive offspring: racism.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rev. Jesse Jackson targets Apple, Google, HP, others in tech racial diversity campaign