or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › General Electric and Quirky unveil iPhone-connected smart A/C unit

General Electric and Quirky unveil iPhone-connected smart A/C unit - Page 2

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Nope, Atlanta which has a metro population of over 6 million people. The only times you see window units is in the hood/housing projects and very poor neighborhoods. Even apartments here have central air. You just don't see them often except in garages. 

Completely different worlds. Atlanta is a 'newer' city and in the south. You have to have A/C there.  In 'older', cooler cites like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Detroit Etc. it's more common that the buildings are 100+ years old and were built before A/C was even a dream.

Literally everyone I know has a window unit, myself included. Built-in A/C in NYC is really hard to find at a reasonable price.

I think a phone controlled A/C unit is a great idea if the price is right.

post #42 of 45
Quote:

Nope, Atlanta which has a metro population of over 6 million people. The only times you see window units is in the hood/housing projects and very poor neighborhoods. Even apartments here have central air. You just don't see them often except in garages. 

Atlanta has real heat, and is mostly newer built than cities in the northeast and midwest. Window a/c is common even in nice old-built apartments and houses further north. 

post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Completely different worlds. Atlanta is a 'newer' city and in the south. You have to have A/C there.  In 'older', cooler cites like Chicago, NYC, Boston, Detroit Etc. it's more common that the buildings are 100+ years old and were built before A/C was even a dream.

Literally everyone I know has a window unit, myself included. Built-in A/C in NYC is really hard to find at a reasonable price.

I think a phone controlled A/C unit is a great idea if the price is right.

All of that is true but the point I was making that one guy in particular seemed to take offense at for some reason is the ductless systems can be a better alternative than a window unit and yes in the north also. My friend in NY didn't even know they existed until I told him about it and when his window unit died he replaced it with one and was much happier. The noise factor alone was a huge factor. I understand that window units are still common up north but my question to you is why? They are ugly, noisy, inefficient, allow cool air to escape, and use far more energy to not even do as good a job at cooling, and also tend not to last very long. The only advantage is price. But aren't Apple people supposed to be attached to a better widget. The rest of the world has now pretty much completely abandoned window types and gone with ductless split systems so just curious why the U.S. is the last hold out. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

post #44 of 45
Quote:

All of that is true but the point I was making that one guy in particular seemed to take offense at for some reason is the ductless systems can be a better alternative than a window unit and yes in the north also. My friend in NY didn't even know they existed until I told him about it and when his window unit died he replaced it with one and was much happier. The noise factor alone was a huge factor. I understand that window units are still common up north but my question to you is why? They are ugly, noisy, inefficient, allow cool air to escape, and use far more energy to not even do as good a job at cooling, and also tend not to last very long. The only advantage is price. But aren't Apple people supposed to be attached to a better widget. The rest of the world has now pretty much completely abandoned window types and gone with ductless split systems so just curious why the U.S. is the last hold out. 

Oh I totally agree that the window ones are obsolete.  I think that, in NYC at least, floor space is so valuable that you really don't have a choice but to keep the units in the window. I wish I had space for a floor unit, I'd immediately get one. It's just not gonna work for me. I'm guess cost could be a factor as well. My windows have about 2 feet until the next building which has it's own windows so I'm not missing out on anything other than a 'fresh' NYC breeze.

post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Oh I totally agree that the window ones are obsolete.  I think that, in NYC at least, floor space is so valuable that you really don't have a choice but to keep the units in the window. I wish I had space for a floor unit, I'd immediately get one. It's just not gonna work for me. I'm guess cost could be a factor as well. My windows have about 2 feet until the next building which has it's own windows so I'm not missing out on anything other than a 'fresh' NYC breeze.

Ductless aren't on floor. They mount on wall so don't take up space. also can mount on ceiling. Outside unit usually goes on balcony in apartments or ground in a house

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › General Electric and Quirky unveil iPhone-connected smart A/C unit