or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update - Page 2

post #41 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJohnWhorfin View Post

That's really disgusting on Apple's part. Why do they feel compelled to act as the carrier's police when Android doesn't? Nice way to drive customers away to Android.

 

Grow up and be responsible.

post #42 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatentHeld View Post

If this was truly deliberate removal by Apple, it was a really a poor decision to favor service providers over existing customers. This just gives one more reason to choose an Android phone over an iPhone and supports the argument that Apple does not provide enough flexibility to users.

 

It was a really a decision to favor service providers who make the rules over existing customers who break the rules.

post #43 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

Haha, automated advertising on appleinsider.com has placed a StraightTalk advertisement adjacent to my post above.  The ad reads

"Straight Talk ® Wireless Touchscreen Phone Sale! No Contract Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data - $45."

 

But if you go to their site, and click on the T&C at the bottom of the page, and scan through the tiny print, you'll find:

"7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. "

 

So what the right hand gives, the left hand takes away.

 

Neither hand gave tethering. Thus, it was not taken away.

post #44 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

Yes, Darryn Lowe, the 3 major carriers do allow it.  It's part of their data plan, and those are the three which Apple offers on their website (AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon).  It's the discount and PAYG carriers (and a handful of smaller regional carriers) that prohibit tethering.  Though I hesitate to classify StraightTalk a minor carrier, since they're sold by Walmart, and owned by the massive TracFone (a company I believe is based in Mexico).

StraightTalk is an MVNO. They are not a major carrier because they don't have their own cellular towers. It has nothing to do with the size of their corporate parent, nor which retailers sell their service.

 

Straight Talk, Net10, and TracFone are all MVNOs from the same corporate parent: America Movil (Mexico). They all have the "no tethering" policy in the boilerplate legalese.

 

It is likely that AT&T is the one stipulating to their MVNOs that end users of those services cannot tether. It protects AT&T "value-add" to their premium post-paid service plans. Note that AT&T's own prepaid service users are not allowed to tether either.

 

Both T-Mobile USA and Sprint also lease tower access to MVNOs and most likely, those carriers also prohibit MVNO end users from tethering as well.

 

Major carriers sell their services at cheaper wholesale rates to MVNOs with the expectation that the discounted users aren't using the same amount of services as premium customers.

 

In many cases, the MVNOs and prepaid service customers are literally second-class citizens, and do not receive priority access to the cellular towers and best connectivity. During the early stages of AT&T's LTE deployment, Straight Talk customers (and AT&T's own GoPhone PAYG customers) did not have access to LTE service, just 3G HSPA.

 

Would AT&T like to sell only top-tier premium postpaid service? Absolutely. And United would love to fill their planes with only full fare first-class passengers. That's not realistic, which is why there are service tiers. AT&T can't sell all of their network access to postpaid customers at premium prices, so they sell excess capacity at lower rates (themselves or via MVNOs) with less service.


Edited by mpantone - 3/19/14 at 1:32pm
post #45 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post


Sorry it's more like you own two houses and you want to avoid the minimum meter charge on the 2nd house, so you connect the water and sewer lines between the two.

And if the company wrote their financial model to include selling as many direct connects,mifi devices and USB wireless dongles, why shouldn't they seek contractual protection of that revenue stream.

And should Apple risk the deep pocket penalty for not doing right by the contracts they sign with carrier? No.

Nothing to see here but people entering into service agreements they felt no reason to comply with and want apple to take their scofflaw side.

 

I don't like the water/meter example too much since in that case one would have to do way too much digging to accomplish the mentioned scenario.

 

It's more like an ISP, at home, charging extra for each device I connect to the internet.

So in my case

1) my iMac   (no charge)

2) my GF's work PC

3) my iPhone

4) GF's iPhone

5) my iPad

6) GF's iPad

7) visitors' devices

 

How much extra for 2 through 7?

post #46 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

Sometimes Apple does stupid shit.

 

If I'm paying for 2GB (or 4GB or 10GB or whatever) of bandwidth per month, it shouldn't matter how I use it.  This just allows the carriers to gouge users for an additional fee to use the bandwidth they are already paying for.

 

I've really been loathe to go the whole jailbreaking route, but this could very well change my mind...

 

Talk to your carrier, not Apple. Apple CANNOT allow tethering for folks who does NOT have agreements from carriers that do not authorize this. Apple's doing this for legal reasons. If your carrier doesn't allow tethering on your plan, then no, you can only use it in the manners they tell you to use. 

 

Go ahead and jailbreak, your carrier will have the rights to terminate your service and you have nobody to blame but yourself. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post
 

 

I thought Apple always has the bargaining power.  When did that table turned?

They had it in the first two years but as data demand quickly outstripped the network's capacity, Apple lost most of their leverage. 

 

Note the recent moves by many carriers to stop subsidizing the phones, that also meant folks in US will soon have to pay the full price for iPhones and Apple have nothing to provide incentives for when there are much cheaper Android phones. That's why they're working on getting 8GB iPhone 5C out but they're not going to get anywhere until they lower their iPhones lineup by 200$. In order words, sell 16GB iPhone 5C for 200$ and iPhone 5S for 400$. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof View Post

That's completely bogus. There's no legal way some operator can forbid tethering via fineprint, if you pay for a regular data service you may use it in any way. If in doubt buy a MiFi device... It's really painful to see Apple participate in such shady behaviour.

 

It is not a fine print, it is a restriction on the data plan.I don't know where you are but it is perfectly legal in US. You signed a contract that says you can only use the network for your phones only, not for tethering with unauthorized devices unless you pay an extra fee to add this support.

 

Any violation of this will result into a complete termination of your service. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by vlscout View Post

Apple does not even always permit tethering if it is clearly allowed by the carrier.

No idea why they purposefully restrict their own devices but they do.

Giffgaff UK, a MVNO using the O2 network, allows tethering, yet, as Apple refuses to give them their own carrier file and designation, it is not possible to activate the personal hotspot.

Android users on giffgaff can tether while Apple users can not.

Yea, Apple does that for some carriers who won't pay the extra fee for the certification process or in some area, when a certain carrier has an exclusive agreement to provide the personal hotspot. 

 

The EU is already working on passing a law that says Apple (any manufacturer) cannot restrict 4G or other features for the sole purpose of exclusivity with a network. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

If I pay for 1gb of data I should be able to use that 1gb however I want. I appreciate that it is the carriers that put the block in place but it's a disgusting way to screw your customers over.


Apple cannot break the laws, it's in their contracts with the carriers to abide by their restrictions they place on customers. There's nothing Apple can do about this. 


I agree with you, you should be able to use your 1GB however you want through your phone. Go ahead and complaint to your provider, but there's nothing Apple can do. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by umumum View Post
 

 

no, you're incorrect

 

a carrier-branded+restricted 4.4  will not tether out of the box, but this can be defeated

 

a sim-free 4.4 phone will tether freely

 

And if the carrier detects such tethering, you will lose your service, simple as that. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post
 

 

Yes, Darryn Lowe, the 3 major carriers do allow it.  It's part of their data plan, and those are the three which Apple offers on their website (AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon).  It's the discount and PAYG carriers (and a handful of smaller regional carriers) that prohibit tethering.  Though I hesitate to classify StraightTalk a minor carrier, since they're sold by Walmart, and owned by the massive TracFone (a company I believe is based in Mexico).

They only recently started allow tethering in some forms but many grandfathered unlimited plans do NOT offer tethering. 

post #47 of 136

I have an iPad with 2 gigs of data via Sprint (I know, bad choice but it was cheap and I don't use it often.) The FCC Verizon decision makes it legal to tether if you have a set data cap but I could not figure out how to setup the tethering on the iPad so I called Sprint. They agreed that under the FCC decision I was allowed to tether but they were not legally obligated to provide the tools to do so and made it clear that they would not help me. They will turn on the monthly hotspot but it would be an additional monthly fee! So I just jailbroke the device and when I can actually get a workable connection MiWi works great. 

post #48 of 136

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Go ahead and jailbreak, your carrier will have the rights to terminate your service and you have nobody to blame but yourself.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Any violation of this will result into a complete termination of your service.

 

Jailbreaking a phone in the US is legal through 2015, at the very least. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post

Apple cannot break the laws, it's in their contracts with the carriers to abide by their restrictions they place on customers. There's nothing Apple can do about this. 

 

What laws?  You're going to have to cite the actual law being "broken" if you expect anyone to take you seriously.  Otherwise we're all going to assume you're just making this up as you go.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #49 of 136
Damn these companies that make you pay for their product!
post #50 of 136

I use AT&T in the US. We have a shared data plan - 4 iPhones in our family sharing 10GB per month. Tethering is included in the 10GB. I have to have internet access as part of my work, and I use the tethering as a back up just in case cable modem goes out.

I think if you don't have a shared data plan, you have to pay a little extra per month to turn it on. Prior to AT&T offering shared plans and bundling tethering, I used to pay extra for the security of having a back up internet just in case. 

I think the major carriers in the US - such as Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile have similar plans. Don't know about the smaller discount carriers.

post #51 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

The FCC Verizon decision makes it legal to tether.....

The decision didn't make it legal to tether. Verizon was blocking tethering apps; one of the stipulations when they won the auction for their LTE frequency bands was that they could not block software on devices accessing the LTE network. They had no choice but allow the use tethering apps on their phones whereas other carriers blocked them.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #52 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Damn these companies that make you pay for their product!

Big brass ones, if you ask me. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 136

TANSTAAFL

post #54 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
 
It would be nice to see a little less regulation and allow more competition among wireless companies

 

Except that this is what happens when the reigns are relaxed even just a little. We get abject greed trumping ethical policy. There is absolutely zero justification for a supplier imposing rules on how you consume what you buy from them, yet this goes on even WITH the spectre of government intervention. Imagine how egregious the customer boning would become if you removed that threat.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #55 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post
 
And if the company wrote their financial model to include selling as many direct connects,mifi devices and USB wireless dongles, why shouldn't they seek contractual protection of that revenue stream.

 

I understood your point and the rest of your post makes sense, but this line confused me. As many as what? It's an incomplete sentence.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Reply
post #56 of 136

So jailbreak your phone. 

post #57 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

 

 

 

Jailbreaking a phone in the US is legal through 2015, at the very least. 

 

 

What laws?  You're going to have to cite the actual law being "broken" if you expect anyone to take you seriously.  Otherwise we're all going to assume you're just making this up as you go.

Read what I was quoting for the context, I was never talking about jailbreaking itself. I'm talking about the tethering itself, the user was talking about jailbreaking his device for the purpose of tethering. That is a violation of his contract with his carrier if he tethers his stuff, thus giving them full legal rights to terminate his service. 


I never said jailbreaking is illegal.

 

As for the rest of the laws, read any contract laws in the US states. Apple CANNOT allow their customers to bypass the restrictions in the contract the customer have with the carriers, I'm sure the carriers have the same clause in any contracts they have with Apple when they certify the devices to use in their networks. 

post #58 of 136
If the carriers weren't so greedy they would all offer personal hotspot and unlimited data on one of there plans, helpful for price under $100 too.
post #59 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

If the carriers weren't so greedy they would all offer personal hotspot and unlimited data on one of there plans, helpful for price under $100 too.

Is only Apple allowed to make money?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #60 of 136
That David Hun comment made me laugh.

I'm sorry but if you fail an exam because your smartphone can't tether I have to ask what sort of university would implement such an exam structure, and/or is it not your responsibility to make sure you get your exam turned in, one way or another?

This generation thinks they're technologically adept, when they are completely inept to adapting to technological changes/glitches.
post #61 of 136
So they just returned to what was in place a few years back.
post #62 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The decision didn't make it legal to tether. Verizon was blocking tethering apps; one of the stipulations when they won the auction for their LTE frequency bands was that they could not block software on devices accessing the LTE network. They had no choice but allow the use tethering apps on their phones whereas other carriers blocked them.

Meh, the Sprint guy told me that because of the precedent set by this ruling I was allowed to tether (but Sprint would not provide me with a way to do that unless I paid a monthly fee to turn the feature on). Either way, jailbreaking took care of it. If they were to terminate my contract for doing it, their coverage around here is so poor that I am not sure it would make a difference ... 

post #63 of 136

If you must have tethering, you can either pay for it (either as a separate add-on or as part of a service plan that includes tethering) or hack your phone to get something for free that's not part of your cell service agreement.  The latter option is not something that you're entitled to, or that Apple is under any obligation to enable.  You want something for free, and somebody does not give it to you, figure out your own path. Don't ask Apple for the road map and the keys. 

 

It's like paying for basic cable TV and finding out that you could watch HBO for free by changing a setting on the cable box. Just don't be so surprised if after a software update to the cable box, you find that you can only view what you paid for.

 

Otherwise, if you want tethering, a lot of the service plans now include tethering for free.  I know that T-Mobile and AT&T's postpaid plans now include tethering (don't know about Sprint and Verizon).  For me, I use a $30/month TMo prepaid plan.  If I need tethering, I activate it and it's charged through the rest of the month on a prorated basis (up to $15/month).  So far, I've only needed it when traveling, and the monthly charge is still cheaper than what most business and conference hotels charge for wi-fi.

post #64 of 136
I'm weeping, weeping for their loss... I pay extra $$ for an AT&T Plan with Personal Hotspot - you can too!
post #65 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

If the carriers weren't so greedy they would all offer personal hotspot and unlimited data on one of there plans, helpful for price under $100 too.

T-Mobile already does for $70/month.  If it's that important to you, then switch.  Right now, they'll even pay for your early termination fees.

 

If you're sticking with another carrier because of other advantages they might have (i.e., better network coverage, data speed, etc.), then you're part of the problem because you're not holding your carrier's feet to the fire for not giving you what you want.

 

Carriers are greedy. Of course they are! But, if enough customers want something enough to walk away from their current carriers, then you can bet that the other carriers will jump in. Just look at how AT&T reacted when T-Mobile's contract-free BYOD plans started catching on. Talk is cheap.  If you think carriers should be punished for not offering tethering and unlimited data, then put your money where you mouth (or keyboard) is.


Edited by Woochifer - 3/19/14 at 3:38pm
post #66 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

T-Mobile already does for $70/month.  If it's that important to you, then switch.  Right now, they'll even pay for your early termination fees.

You only get 5GB of data to tether with.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #67 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You only get 5GB of data to tether with.

That's high-speed.  The data is unlimited, albeit throttled after 2.5 GB of tethering.

post #68 of 136
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
TANSTAAFL

 

Trolling Apple Never Stops Taking Away All Feeling… Lighthearted?

 

Originally Posted by prof View Post
That's completely bogus. Theres no legal way some operator can forbid tethering via fine print…

 

That explains why every single one of them can do it, huh.

 
It's really painful to see Apple participate in such shady behaviour.

 

How dare they follow the law! How DARE they make you keep agreeing to the terms to which you legally agreed!

 

Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Sometimes Apple does stupid shit.

 

And sometimes users don’t think before posting stupidity.

 

Either Apple blocks disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “restriction of functionality” or Apple doesn’t block disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “terminating my cell phone account i need that account apple how dare you i will sue you”.

 

Personally, I’m fine with the former.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 3/19/14 at 5:01pm

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #69 of 136
Still working on US Cellular iPhone. I think I'm supposed to pay extra for the "privilege" of using my data however I want but it's always worked straight out of the box. Using 7.1 with bluetooth tethering to create this post.
post #70 of 136

I'm not sure why so many are getting their panties in a twist. This is about those people on "unlimited data plans" where there is an express exclusion of tethered devices.

 

 

This is not about those who pay for 2, 5 ,10Gb data - you can use that cap how you see fit. I get 3Gb/ month that I can use how I like.

post #71 of 136

Good for Apple!  It is about time.

 

People should not steal service and Apple should not be an accessory to that sort of thing.

post #72 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You only get 5GB of data to tether with.

 

Well, it's not your network. They built it, manage it and lease it.

post #73 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
 

T-Mobile already does for $70/month.  If it's that important to you, then switch.  Right now, they'll even pay for your early termination fees.

 

If you're sticking with another carrier because of other advantages they might have (i.e., better network coverage, data speed, etc.), then you're part of the problem because you're not holding your carrier's feet to the fire for not giving you what you want.

 

Carriers are greedy. Of course they are! But, if enough customers want something enough to walk away from their current carriers, then you can bet that the other carriers will jump in. Just look at how AT&T reacted when T-Mobile's contract-free BYOD plans started catching on. Talk is cheap.  If you think carriers should be punished for not offering tethering and unlimited data, then put your money where you mouth (or keyboard) is.

 

Still doesn't disclaim the fact the network is their [ATT, VZ, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc] product, their services, their business model.

post #74 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Well, it's not your network. They built it, manage it and lease it.

I wasn't complaining. Just making a 'matter of fact' statement.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #75 of 136
If you pay for the data AND get overcharged for overages what business is the carriers how you or I use the data? This is plain and simple abuse by these greedy SOB's!!! I for one would simply stop paying for a service that would impose this tiny text rip-off on me. Catch me if you can Motherfuskers. I would jailbreak my phone and forever try to stick it up these suited rat bastards a$$es. I you don't agree or are offended Screw you and the hoar you road in buttpuppet pions!!!
post #76 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

 

 

It's just too easy for a user to turn on tethering when the carrier prohibits it, and subsequently find that the carrier has terminated their plan, because of the data usage.  

You are subject to overage charges regardless of whether you are paying for tethering privileges. Moreover, many smartphones already let the user monitor data usage and set caps (see for example http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3443819/set-data-usage-limit-on-android/) to completely avoid the scenario you posed. Tethering charges do not benefit consumers in any way.


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 3/19/14 at 7:26pm
post #77 of 136
Quote:

I don't know what country you're in, prof, but in the USA a contract is a contract, and it includes the fine print (Terms of Service).  Which in the case of at least StraightTalk, expressly forbids tethering (despite the advertised "unlimited data").  See my post above.  I agree it is unpleasant, but that is why I do not buy service from that carrier.  I get what I pay for.

The fact is that tethering is a made up term used to describe a functionality of certain end devices instead of being a technical or lawful term that could be used to impose limits in contracts. Many devices (even those sold by the operators together with these contracts) are employing the very same "tethering" mechanism as the single possible way to use the data service at all. In Europe clauses in contracts which are surprising to the customer (eg. because they prevent the use of product for its intended purpose like here) are completely void. So while it would be lawful to exclude the use of a data service for more than one concurrent end device (which is quite likely what the tethering clauses are supposed to mean) it is not lawful to forbid the use of an intermediate access device (which is what tethering really means).

 

In my opinion Apple here chose to play nice with the operators solely for their own gain without having any real obligation to do so.

post #78 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof View Post

The fact is that tethering is a made up term used to describe a functionality of certain end devices instead of being a technical or lawful term that could be used to impose limits in contracts. Many devices (even those sold by the operators together with these contracts) are employing the very same "tethering" mechanism as the single possible way to use the data service at all. In Europe clauses in contracts which are surprising to the customer (eg. because they prevent the use of product for its intended purpose like here) are completely void. So while it would be lawful to exclude the use of a data service for more than one concurrent end device (which is quite likely what the tethering clauses are supposed to mean) it is not lawful to forbid the use of an intermediate access device (which is what tethering really means).

In my opinion Apple here chose to play nice with the operators solely for their own gain without having any real obligation to do so.

It's not a made up term. Originally the phone had to be wired (tethered) to a device. Then came wireless tethering, now we just leave the wireless part is left out
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #79 of 136
Quote:

How dare they follow the law! How DARE they make you keep agreeing to the terms to which you legally agreed!

 

...

 

Either Apple blocks disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “restriction of functionality” or Apple doesn’t block disallowed tethering and gets morons whining after them for “terminating my cell phone account i need that account apple how dare you i will sue you”.

 

As you obviously figured out by yourself in the very same post Apple is not following any kind of law here they're simply facilitators for some network operators who put some (in many countries) void clauses into their terms and conditions. Also by enforcing some kind of incomplete whitelist they're obviously not only taking away functionality from customers whose operators try to (rightfully or not) block the functionality by contractual means but also from operators which do not even try to forbid that kind of use but for some reason didn't make it onto the whitelist.

 

The takeaway here is: Is it not up to Apple to decide and/or enforce who can use this function or not. That's strictly between the operator and the customer and Apple trying to be a MITM is shady behaviour.

post #80 of 136
It's not a made up term. Originally the phone had to be wired (tethered) to a device. Then came wireless tethering, now we just leave the wireless part is left out

The modem is separate from the main CPU that does the higher level network processing thus by your definition every smartphone is always using tethering which would forbid any use with a data service on those operators. That's the reason why I say that tethering is a made up term in this context because the implied meaning is completely different from technical reality.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple cracks down on Personal Hotspot abuse with iOS 7.1 update