or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4 - Page 2

post #41 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

It's not a trap. It's another option. 

 

If somebody needs more, then they have the choice of buying the phone with more storage space. Who are you to decide that 8GB is not enough? It may not be enough for you, but it is certainly adequate for a certain segment of users.

 

The greedy ones are the whining cheapskates who expects Apple to follow everybody else's lead, and sell junky products for dirt cheap. 

 

I'm astounded by the number of people who think that Apple builds phones just for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.

Apple has everything to use 64gb as minimum. But no, gotta be greedy.

Of course, the usual delusionals who will came defending everything and vomiting a mystical 50 per cent market share in a country where most phones are close to free and contracts are the norm, while ignoring the sad 10 per cent marker share worldwide, will also irrational talking about "who needs it".

For them : shut up. It's about having a better phone, just like with better cameras, screens, etc.

 

It's worth bearing in mind that Apple probably has access to a lot more user information than you. 

 

They know which demographics buy lots of apps, music and videos, and which demographics just want two or three apps and bit of occasional surfing.

post #42 of 167

You always get a lot more for your money when you buy Apple.  The Android Tax is just too high!

post #43 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
 

 

I'm astounded by the number of people who think that Apple builds phones just for them.

 

Yeah. Some people need to step out of their own little selfish bubble every once in a while, and look at the bigger picture.

 

I would never buy an 8 GB phone, because I have many hundreds of Gigs worth of apps and other things that I need to store, but if I were going to buy an iPhone for my mother, then I would buy her the 8GB version, because anything else would be wasted.

 

I gave my mom an iPad 2 16GB a while back, and she never even used up half of the space. Its mainly a skype, facetime and internet machine.

post #44 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

It's not a trap. It's another option. 

 

If somebody needs more, then they have the choice of buying the phone with more storage space. Who are you to decide that 8GB is not enough? It may not be enough for you, but it is certainly adequate for a certain segment of users.

 

The greedy ones are the whining cheapskates who expects Apple to follow everybody else's lead, and sell junky products for dirt cheap. 

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK.  If they're not going to return money to shareholders then they might as well give something to financially-handicapped iPhone users who don't have money to burn.  Whatever happened to Apple's supposedly enormous economies of scale?  Shouldn't that economies of scale also include memory?  Apple is gaining nothing worthwhile at all by being so cheap by withholding memory.  It's just detrimental to the user experience.

 

I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

post #45 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Mmmm.

Owning an Android phone sounds like a lot of work ....

On the plus side, barely any updates. 1smile.gif
post #46 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK.  If they're not going to return money to shareholders then they might as well give something to financially-handicapped iPhone users who don't have money to burn.  Whatever happened to Apple's supposedly enormous economies of scale?  Shouldn't that economies of scale also include memory?  Apple is gaining nothing worthwhile at all by being so cheap by withholding memory.  It's just detrimental to the user experience.

 

I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

Im also a part time Apple shareholder, and I disapprove of helping out any financially handicapped people, because I do not care about them, and I don't believe that they make good customers.

 

The thing is that anybody who feels that 8GB is too little always has the option of getting the next model up. There's nobody who's forcing anybody to buy an 8GB phone against their will. 

post #47 of 167
What twisted logic some of you have. So, why do I have to pay for a Camera with X photo quality? 0.5X is enough for most people! They only post selfie on Facebook anyway!

Why X build quality? 0.1X is more than enough because it is crap anyway and most users use cases!

I will answer: It's about making a better product.

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Congrats Apple. And congrats to some of you.

Apple has so much money, such huge profit margin, and just keep milking it on storage, like at&t and data.

People were waiting for 32gb minimum before the iPhone 5. Look how pathetic the situation is.

And always the same guys defending the same stupid decisions. At least on the other plastic piece of crap you can have your media and documents on a SD card, and actually using it as a smartphone.
post #48 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What twisted logic some of you have

[…]

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Speaking of twisted logic you may want to actually try to understand how much space iOS uses.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #49 of 167

'I think it's logic Jim, but not as we know it.'

post #50 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

'I think it's logic Jim, but not as we know it.'

And what's the resale value after 1 or 2 years between a Galaxy and iPhone? Does TCO or user experience mean nothing to the value of a product?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #51 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What twisted logic some of you have

[…]

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Speaking of twisted logic you may want to actually try to understand how much space iOS uses.

3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.
post #52 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

What twisted logic some of you have. So, why do I have to pay for a Camera with X photo quality? 0.5X is enough for most people! They only post selfie on Facebook anyway!

Why X build quality? 0.1X is more than enough because it is crap anyway and most users use cases!

I will answer: It's about making a better product.

Since you need more than 2 gb of free storage to download and install your device, and some must be always free to enable sync, you can't install Modern Combat 4 and real racing on that 450€.

Congrats Apple. And congrats to some of you.

Apple has so much money, such huge profit margin, and just keep milking it on storage, like at&t and data.

People were waiting for 32gb minimum before the iPhone 5. Look how pathetic the situation is.

And always the same guys defending the same stupid decisions. At least on the other plastic piece of crap you can have your media and documents on a SD card, and actually using it as a smartphone.

Some people don't have a lot of music. Some people don't care to keep all their photos with them. Others just use a few apps. Some users use a little of each. Hence the 16GB version.
post #53 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.

As previously stated ad nauseum it only uses about 2.5GB from the box and only needs that free space temporarily to store, expand, and perform the OTA update which is mostly given back to the user after the update is complete and the device restarts. Some updates may even have more space available after the update is complete. You seriously can't be that oblivious to how files are swapped on an OS.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #54 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


3 gb minimum + 2 free gb for updates.

 

Not true man.

 

The extra space needed for an update is only temporary.

post #55 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not true man.

The extra space needed for an update is only temporary.

It appears that some are choosing to be obtuse because it doesn't fit their anti-Apple narrative.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #56 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You lost me. All retail* vendors use BASE-10 to advertise capacity and all* OSes use BASE-2 to represent actual capacity. That's why when you pop in a 1TB HDD you will only see about 0.925TiB.


* I say retail vendors because NAND vendors do market their chips as BASE-2.

** Apple actually changed this around Lion for most areas of OS X to read as BASE-10, but the OS still shows BASE-2 in other parts of the system.

Makes perfect sense - it was the Lion thing that caught me up in confusion. Thanks for the info.

post #57 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


On the plus side, barely any updates. 1smile.gif

 

Yeah, they get it right the first time.  :P

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #58 of 167
How sick is this... You guys are really trying to justify an 8gb option on an 500€ device. In 2014. From a company that says that they have more money than they need so they throw it away to shareholders. A company that started the revolution. A company that uses 32 gb since the last 4 years.

Apple, if we humanize the company, is a liar. That "making the best product possible is our goal" is a blatant lie.

It's all about ripping off people, just like companies like AT&T and Verizon about stuff like sharing your data connection.

Shit product. Shit decision.

I really hope they blow everything out of the water with another line and a bigger screen and 128 gb storage.

But get ready for same storage, same screen quality, yadda yadda. Still overall better than the rest, but the "special" attitude is over.
post #59 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple, if we humanize the company, is a liar. That "making the best product possible is our goal" is a blatant lie.

 

You're assuming that what the best product possible for you is the best product possible for everyone.  You shouldn't do that.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #60 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Makes perfect sense - it was the Lion thing that caught me up in confusion. Thanks for the info.

The change is slow but it's happening.
Quote:
The ambiguity of using the same unit prefixes for two different representations within the same industry has caused confusion. Starting around 1998, several standards and trade organizations approved standards and recommendations for a new set of binary prefixes that refer unambiguously to powers of 1024. In 2008, this international standard usage was incorporated into the International System of Quantities (denoted "ISQ" in all languages). Accordingly, the SI prefixes should only be used in the decimal sense, even when referring to data storage capacities: kilobyte and megabyte denote one thousand bytes and one million bytes respectively, consistent with SI, while new terms such as kibibyte, mebibyte and gibibyte, having the symbols KiB, MiB, and GiB, denote 1024bytes, 1048576bytes, and 1073741824bytes, respectively. As of 2014, these prefixes are sometimes, but not universally, used by the computer industry to distinguish unambiguously between decimal and binary prefixes.

I've seen a lot of people in the computer field that would rather have the decimal value change its name but the nomenclature for a decimal precedes the nomenclature for binary by a considerable amount of time. This wasn't a big deal with HDDs were 10 or 100MB but not only does the difference in size grow but the percentage of difference grows.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #61 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple, if we humanize the company, is a liar. That "making the best product possible is our goal" is a blatant lie.

You're assuming that what the best product possible for you is the best product possible for everyone.  You shouldn't do that.

Let's not be irrational. A better smartphone always has more/better storage. That's evolution.

Cutting it down is making an worse product.
post #62 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


As previously stated ad nauseum it only uses about 2.5GB from the box and only needs that free space temporarily to store, expand, and perform the OTA update which is mostly given back to the user after the update is complete and the device restarts. Some updates may even have more space available after the update is complete. You seriously can't be that oblivious to how files are swapped on an OS.

 

Who cares if it's only temporary?  What does the phone do when you need the extra space to update your software?  Does it magically create more storage space and then magically remove it after the update?  If not, then your options are to delete the pictures from your daughter's graduation or to ignore critical software updates.

post #63 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Does it magically create more storage space and then magically remove it after the update?

What the **** are you smoking?

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #64 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Not true man.

 

The extra space needed for an update is only temporary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that 2GB is not available even temporarily, you are unable to update the device? If that's the case I'm fine with stating  3+2.

 

Nobody wants to have to go deleting/hunting for space just to get an update, that's too much work. Might as well be using Android.

post #65 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


What the **** are you smoking?

 

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this discussion.  As I understand it, the system software occupies about 3.4 GB out of the box, and 2 free GB are necessary to update software.  If you have used up most or all of your free storage space with apps and photos, which wouldn't be hard to do with so little available space, where does the phone get those 2 free GB?  You said it only needs the space temporarily, which makes sense, but there is a limit on how much storage space is available on a phone whether you're storing something temporarily or permanently.

post #66 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post
 

Apple has $160 billion in the bank and they can easily afford to give users 16GB of memory for less money.  As a shareholder I give them the OK. .... I'd say Tim Cook either doesn't know what he's doing or he's deliberately trying to ruin Apple and shareholders.  He simply wants to keep all that reserve cash in his own pocket.

 

What a load of horse sh¡t.  You might as well cry to your mommy that your big sister got a bigger slice of pie.  Life ain't fair.  Deal.

post #67 of 167
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

Nobody wants to have to go deleting/hunting for space just to get an update, that's too much work. Might as well be using Android.

 

That's exactly what somebody will have to do if their device is completely filled up and they need a bit more space.

 

I remember when I had a 16GB iPad that was all filled up to the max, and when I needed some more space, I just deleted a couple of games that I had that were around a gig each. It wasn't a big deal, it took me less than a minute to do.

 

That's the price that somebody has to pay, if they opt for a device with not enough storage to meet their needs. 

post #68 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wow, look at that Galaxy S4 on the chart!

Somebody buys a brand new 16 GB Samsung phone and they're stuck using Android lol.gif

What a scam and what a rip off!lol.gif And on top of that they end up with 8.56 available out of the box! .1biggrin.gif  

In contrast to what certain people claim, that it is techies and those who desire more from their mobile devices that choose Android, I claim the exact opposite. It is the ignorant and those who are either cheap and can not afford to spend money on mobile devices that make up the majority of Android sales and activations. Most Android phones are complete junk and they're often being used as no more than feature phones. 

FTFY
post #69 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

That's exactly what somebody will have to do if their device is completely filled up and they need a bit more space.

 

I remember when I had a 16GB iPad that was all filled up to the max, and when I needed some more space, I just deleted a couple of games that I had that were around a gig each. It wasn't a big deal, it took me less than a minute to do.

 

That's the price that somebody has to pay, if they opt for a device with not enough storage to meet their needs. 

Likely if you filled up 16GB there was a lot of "crap" on there that could easily be dumped to make room for 2GB. It may not be so easy when all you get is < 3GB of usable space before you need to start grooming content on the device.

post #70 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


Let's not be irrational. A better smartphone always has more/better storage. That's evolution.

Cutting it down is making an worse product.

 

Apparently not.  Cook is on record as saying that Apple isn't in the junk business.  8 GB of storage space is apparently high end now.  Get with the times.  ;)

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #71 of 167

I just want to point out that you can't store music and videos in iCloud for free. You have to use iTunes Match, which costs $25 per year or something. 

 

However, I think buying a 16g phone (Galaxy S4) and having a little over 50% available can't really be defended by saying "buy an SD card". It seems like just poor software management.

 

PS. I believe the 8GB 5c will eventually replace the 4S/4 this year. Apple likely wants to deprecate the old connector and those devices are the last ones that they still manufacture that uses it.

post #72 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post
 

Likely if you filled up 16GB there was a lot of "crap" on there that could easily be dumped to make room for 2GB. It may not be so easy when all you get is < 3GB of usable space before you need to start grooming content on the device.

 

It's obviously easier to manage a 16GB device than an 8GB device.

 

I do have an 8GB iPod Touch lying around somewhere, and I did manage to upgrade that to the newest OS.

 

I'm not sure where you get less than 3GB of usable space from though. If the OS takes up roughly 3, then you'd have 5 GB of space to use. And, yes, some of that would have to be trimmed down, when installing a new update.

 

That's the compromise that somebody would have to make for choosing a device with limited storage space. If they don't want to be bothered with that, then get a larger capacity device. 

post #73 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this discussion.  As I understand it, the system software occupies about 3.4 GB out of the box, and 2 free GB are necessary to update software.  If you have used up most or all of your free storage space with apps and photos, which wouldn't be hard to do with so little available space, where does the phone get those 2 free GB?  You said it only needs the space temporarily, which makes sense, but there is a limit on how much storage space is available on a phone whether you're storing something temporarily or permanently.

1) Where did you get this 3.4GiB figure from? I get 4.86GiB of available space for the 8GB iPhone 5C based on the title of this article against the S4. With an 8GB device therefore having 7.45GiB of actual space (slightly less but I'll round up in your favour), we can then subtract 4.86 from 7.45 to get 2.59GiB for the OS and all such tidbits.

2) iOS 7.1 needed up to about 2.5GiB free in order to download the update, uncompress the update, and do whatever it needed to do to install the proper files into the system which were probably about 0.5GiB of files (not added, but altered), before giving back nearly all the space it needed to perform the update. No one is arguing that this seems like a lot of space and probably has to do with additional redundancies so that the update is less likely to run into issues and I don't recall seeing that before. Perhaps there were too many failed updates with iOS 7.0.6 so they cast an extra large safety net, but there is no *magic* involved. Does it suck if your device didn't have the available space? As noted by many in the thread about the iOS 7.1 update it might be an issue. I even speculated that if Apple is going to go down this route that they may be finally doubling iPhone capacities for a given price point this year.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #74 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post
 

The author is DED, what else would you expect.  

 

At times this site can be a nice resource for news, but ever so often you'll have articles like this.

 

Coming from the person who says SD cards are a substitute for installed storage. Perhaps if you want to store MP3s. Not if you expect apps you install to actually work. Or your phone to work at all after installing a couple apps. Or if you expect apps you install to not be able to access any and all personal data and message stores coped to the SD Card. 

 

Do some research on how Android actually uses SD cards. Frankly, its embarrassing. 

post #75 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Let's not be irrational. A better smartphone always has more/better storage. That's evolution.

Cutting it down is making an worse product.

While Apple "cut down" the iPhone 5C to make an 8GB model... they still left the existing 16GB and 32GB models.

If they had eliminated the 16GB and 32GB models altogether... THAT would be bad. But they didn't.

You can still get 16GB or 32GB if you feel 8GB won't suit your storage needs.
post #76 of 167

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It also offers 12GB more storage than a 32GB Windows phone. True story!

Oh yes. Absolutely true.

post #77 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by realapplefanboy View Post

This is terrible news for people in emergenging markets that were hopeful the 5C would have been an alternative. Barely 5GB is really nothing for a phone, between apps and a couple of music that poor phone is gonna be full and unusable most of its life time. I know that Apple Insider is trying very hard to somehow twist it into a different kind of news, and I thank them as an apple fan for trying, but in this case this is a very bleak perspective that not even without the third party bundles the 5C cannot allow even 5GB of user free space.

I know you're trying very hard to twist the 8GB iPhone 5c into some kind of terrible news for emerging markets, but the iPhone 5c is also available in larger capacities.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #78 of 167

I like the retro look of the 5c, if it had the same specs as the 5s and wasn't nothing more than last years phone I would have bought it over the 5s in a heartbeat. I really liked the fit, finish and the feel of the "plastic". 

 

The 5c will never do well in the US because most simply go with a 2 year contract and the extra 100.00 isn't a big deal. I know in other countries cost of the phone is more of an issue. Not sure about anyone else here but I would love it if Apple came out with a 6c that has the same specs.

 

As far as storage I can only speak for myself I could never buy anything that had 8gb. Even my iPod Nano has 16gb. 

post #79 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


1) Where did you get this 3.4GiB figure from? I get 4.86GiB of available space for the 8GB iPhone 5C based on the title of this article against the S4. With an 8GB device therefore having 7.45GiB of actual space (slightly less but I'll round up in your favour), we can then subtract 4.86 from 7.45 to get 2.59GiB for the OS and all such tidbits.

2) iOS 7.1 needed up to about 2.5GiB free in order to download the update, uncompress the update, and do whatever it needed to do to install the proper files into the system which were probably about 0.5GiB of files (not added, but altered), before giving back nearly all the space it needed to perform the update. No one is arguing that this seems like a lot of space and probably has to do with additional redundancies so that the update is less likely to run into issues and I don't recall seeing that before. Perhaps there were too many failed updates with iOS 7.0.6 so they cast an extra large safety net, but there is no *magic* involved. Does it suck if your device didn't have the available space? As noted by many in the thread about the iOS 7.1 update it might be an issue. I even speculated that if Apple is going to go down this route that they may be finally doubling iPhone capacities for a given price point this year.
 
1. I got 3.4 GB by subtracting 12.6 GB from 16 GB (numbers for the 5C) as shown in the chart in the article.  I now realize the article stated that the 8 GB model gives 4.9 GB to the user out of the box, indicating that the system occupies 3.1 GB.  If Apple advertises 7.45 GB as 8 GB, then the system must occupy less space.
 
2. Regardless, we know that the user is given 4.9 GB and that iOS updates require 2.5 GB free, so that means that the user can actually use 2.4 GB of storage space before compromising software updates.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


As previously stated ad nauseum it only uses about 2.5GB from the box and only needs that free space temporarily to store, expand, and perform the OTA update which is mostly given back to the user after the update is complete and the device restarts. Some updates may even have more space available after the update is complete. You seriously can't be that oblivious to how files are swapped on an OS.

 

3. My joking use of "magic" was because you implied here ^ that the temporary use of 2.5 GB of storage space had no impact on the usable space.

post #80 of 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Dudes... Yes the s4 sucks, etc. But who cares? The fact is that the 8gb option of the 5c is just a trap made by a greedy company.

The OS uses 3gb, 2 are needed for updates. That leaves 3gb.

In what world is that enough? 3 gb? That's fucking pathetic and a crappy move. A few photos of that awesome camera, few videos, 1 good game and that's it.

That's a bad iPhone.
 

 

Wait, is that even true?  It 'ships' with the free memory DED says, but once you update it has 2g less??  If true that is pretty substantial and would be pretty weak to use as a marketing ploy, or even as clickbait for a sensational headline.  Discounting all the other stated items/microSD slot, if the iPhone does have DED's 4.9 Gig free, with 3.7G on an S4 a 16GB phone does have nearly twice as much free memory as an 8GB phone....

 

But the real kicker is slightly alluded to in the article.  The first thing you do on the iPhone is download some key apps that pretty much use up a huge chunk of your free space- iPhoto, iWork etc.  That functionality is already shipped and included as part of the memory used with the S4.   You can do a lot less with a stock iPhone 5c *as shipped*, and once you download the apps to give you the same functionality you have a lot less space left.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's 8GB iPhone 5c offers just 3.7GB less storage than Samsung's "16GB" flagship Galaxy S4