or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Burger King to take e-wallet purchasing nationwide with new mobile app
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burger King to take e-wallet purchasing nationwide with new mobile app

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Fast food giant Burger King will roll out a mobile app in April that will let users pay for food at more than 7,000 locations in the U.S., expanding on the company's BK Crown Card program already available on Apple's iOS.

Burger King


The nation's second-largest burger chain by store count revealed details of the upcoming program on Wednesday in an email supplied to Bloomberg. According to the note, the plan will expand the company's e-wallet style payment service to 7,000 stores in "a few months."

From the company's description, it appears that the new system will take cues from the Burger King iOS app, which includes the BK Crown Card payment system.

Currently, the virtual wallet acts as a loyalty and payments card by incorporating a customer rewards system that dishes out coupons and other savings whenever a user recharges with a credit card. As noted in the app's release notes, functionality is limited to Sacramento, Reno, Baltimore and New York City.

Also available in the existing iOS app are nutrition facts and an interactive map showing nearby Burger King locations.

One new feature that may be added at a later date is an option to order ahead of time for later pickup. Jamba Juice offers a similar service in Jamba Curbside pickup, though customers must call in orders instead of using an app.

Burger King is the latest company to offer in-store purchases via app. It is unclear if Burger King will integrate the e-wallet functionality with Apple's Passbook like other solutions created by Starbucks and the Apple Store.
post #2 of 35
But...
it will fail since iOS devices don't have NFC.
post #3 of 35
Is this a IAP that's then subjected to the customary 30% cut for Apple?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #4 of 35

 

Something tells me that Steve Jobs wouldn’t have eaten at Burger King. ;) 

 

Does “Have it your way.™” extend to returning the thing seven times before they get it right?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #5 of 35

It is good for Apple to have partners like Burger King to enhance the usefulness of Apple products.  Apple is likely courting other fast food partners, along with big oil companies, etc.

post #6 of 35
An app with Burger King nutritional info... comedy gold.

In iOS 8, Passbook will be telling you to stop in for some discount cow byproducts, while Healthbook will be telling you to flee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

But...
it will fail since iOS devices don't have NFC.

NFC has been the failure so far. BT low energy is the future. And mobile payment apps have succeeded on iOS (Chipotle, Starbucks) without either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is this a IAP that's then subjected to the customary 30% cut for Apple?

There's no 30% for selling physical goods, and no need to go through Apple's IAP system. That's why there's an Amazon app where you can actually buy stuff—not downloads (go the site for that) but actual stuff.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

There's no 30% for selling physical goods, and no need to go through Apple's IAP system. That's why there's an Amazon app where you can actually buy stuff—not downloads (go the site for that) but actual stuff.

Why not downloads? If Amazon or another company is doing the storing and distributing then why insist on a 30% cut?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 35
Diabetes, now even more convenient.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

An app with Burger King nutritional info... comedy gold.

In iOS 8, Passbook will be telling you to stop in for some discount cow byproducts, while Healthbook will be telling you to flee.

Hopefully one day someone will create an app warning you about all the health issues you are inviting by eating high carbohydrate high calorie processed foods when it senses you are approaching a fast food outlet. But how to get people who needs it to install....? Apple?

post #10 of 35
"Diabetes, now even more convenient."
We have a winner.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Is this a IAP that's then subjected to the customary 30% cut for Apple?

 

I reloaded $50 on my Starbucks card app this morning, and I'm pretty sure Apple didn't get $15 of that.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Diabetes, now even more convenient.

How true. Funny but in reality there is nothing wrong with a hamburger. It is nutritious. It only becomes a problem when you have lots of hamburgers and don't get any exercise. That is a personal lifestyle choice or perhaps even an addiction but it can't really be blamed on Burger King. You need to watch you caloric intake and balance that with aerobic exercise to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity causes diabetes not hamburgers.

 

Perhaps HealthBook will help to enlighten people about diet and exercise.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #13 of 35
B-B-B-Bitcoin!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

B-B-B-Bitcoin!

I'm not impressed with anything I've read about  Bitcoin, A bunch of hackers trying ti deceive people is what it looks like to me. Eventually, the concept of a worldwide currency might be practical and progressive but Bitcoin isn't it. The whole notion of a united Earth is very far off at this point. The dollar is already the de facto standard and that hasn't helped in any way toward promoting world peace.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm not impressed with anything I've read about  Bitcoin, A bunch of hackers trying ti deceive people is what it looks like to me. Eventually, the concept of a worldwide currency might be practical and progressive but Bitcoin isn't it. The whole notion of a united Earth is very far off at this point. The dollar is already the de facto standard and that hasn't helped in any way toward promoting world peace.

You are making a bunch of very strange leaps with little logical connection.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You are making a bunch of very strange leaps with little logical connection.

Welcome to AppleInsider, circa 2014!

 

We hope you enjoy your stay here, SpamSandwich!

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

NFC has been the failure so far. BT low energy is the future. And mobile payment apps have succeeded on iOS (Chipotle, Starbucks) without either.

I do agree that BLE has a strong future but I wouldn't count NFC out. It has features that assist in transactional security that BLE will never be able to match. I think the future is BLE for setting up the negotiation and NFC for the actual secure transition between the two devices, but this still needs a strong vendor to properly coordinate with retail outlets and financial institutions to make the proper changes for this to succeed. The current solution for NFC isn't even half-assed, more like eighth- or sixteenth-assed.

I don't know about Chipotle but Starbucks works by bringing up the app or Passbook pass on your device and then using that barcode to register your purchase.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

How true. Funny but in reality there is nothing wrong with a hamburger. It is nutritious. It only becomes a problem when you have lots of hamburgers and don't get any exercise. That is a personal lifestyle choice or perhaps even an addiction but it can't really be blamed on Burger King. You need to watch you caloric intake and balance that with aerobic exercise to maintain a healthy weight. Obesity causes diabetes not hamburgers.

Perhaps HealthBook will help to enlighten people about diet and exercise.

I only eat non-preserved/processes organic grass-fed mince prime cut beef with a ciabatta bun when I make my own beef-burger. A world apart from what you get in the King. The buns are one of the worst parts one these burgers and organic mince is way better for you. 8 times the vitamin K for example. When you can leave a patty under your bed for a year and have it look the same as the day it has been served something is seriously, seriously wrong. Exercise is important for strengthening your tissues and bones and getting your heart going. Counting calories is not necessarily at all, in fact most people think the wrong foods are healthy and avoid foods with fat when they are counting calories because they think they're bad from you. What you put in your body has a far bigger effect on your weight than anything else. In short: avoid things with added sugar, avoid processed foods, eat fresh, local and learn to love cooking, avoid foods labelled low-fat because that usually means higher in sugar and the only thing eating stuff like this does is reduce the protein hormone count in your body (complex groups of amino acids) which throws off the apatite and metabolism process in your body. Like the way drinking carbonated sodas gives one spare tyre syndrome. The body isn't design to consume it. If you eat the right things you'll never need to count another calorie again, because your body begins to tell what what you need and when you've had enough and generally regulates itself like a well oiled machine.
Edited by Ireland - 3/20/14 at 2:51am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


I only eat non-preserved/processes organic grass-fed mince prime cut beef with a ciabatta bun when I make my own beef-burger. A world apart from what you get in the King. The buns are one of the worst parts one these burgers and organic mince is way better for you. 8 times the vitamin K for example. When you can leave a patty under your bed for a year and have it look the same as the day it has been served something is seriously, seriously wrong. Exercise is important for strengthening your tissues and bones and getting your heart going. Counting calories is not necessarily at all, in fact most people think the wrong foods are healthy and avoid foods with fat when they are counting calories because they think they're bad from you. What you put in your body has a far bigger effect on your weight than anything else. In short: avoid things with added sugar, avoid processed foods, eat fresh, local and learn to love cooking, avoid foods labelled low-fat because that usually means higher in sugar and the only thing eating stuff like this does is reduce the protein hormone count in your body (complex groups of amino acids) which throws off the apatite and metabolism process in your body. Like the way drinking carbonated sodas gives one spare tyre syndrome. The body isn't design to consume it. If you eat the right things you'll never need to count another calorie again, because your body begins to tell what what you need and when you've had enough and generally regulates itself like a well oiled machine.

 

Have you ever considered how many people in this world would starve to death if we had no pesticides, no herbicides, no GMOs, no fertilizers, all organic agriculture? Just like the environmentalists who tout wind and solar, organic farming sounds good until you scale it up to worldwide dimensions. We don’t have enough acreage to do that. Try talking to a real farmer who has a masters degree in agriculture from the University of Illinois. I have. 

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

Have you ever considered how many people in this world would starve to death if we had no pesticides, no herbicides, no GMOs, no fertilizers, all organic agriculture? Just like the environmentalists who tout wind and solar, organic farming sounds good until you scale it up to worldwide dimensions. We don’t have enough acreage to do that. Try talking to a real farmer who has a masters degree in agriculture from the University of Illinois. I have. 

 

That's a fair point, but it doesn't make organic food any worse for you. It doesn't make it any less healthy. It doesn't stop corn fed cattle stomachs from exploding, or pesticides from killing bees. We need to start rethinking all of this and what we put in our bodies. Where there's a will there's a way.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's a fair point, but it doesn't make organic food any worse for you. It doesn't make it any less healthy. It doesn't stop corn fed cattle stomachs from exploding, or pesticides from killing bees. We need to start rethinking all of this and what we put in our bodies. Where there's a will there's a way.

1) We should always be rethinking every decision if there are still unknowns, but I'm glad to see you say it; I just wish you'd apply that to technology when you make this hardened predictions of what you're certain will occur.

2) You do realize the average human lives longer now, right? You do realize that nearly everything you put into your body has been altered by man. From the flour in your ciabatta bun to the domesticated prime cut beef you talk up are all a product of agriculture, cultivation and animal husbandry. Does the wheat in your ciabatta bun have more nutrients than the slower-growing wheat it originated from?

3) I think @lkrupp's point is that the world would not be able to sustain the population it does now if you're personal feeding habits were the only right answer. You, and many others in wealthy and technologically advanced nations, have that option but it's simply not a possibility for most. It's like assuming that everyone in the world should have the latest Mac Pro because it's better than a $300. It's a nice thought but it's not practical.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 
I only eat non-preserved/processes organic grass-fed mince prime cut beef with a ciabatta bun when I make my own beef-burger. A world apart from what you get in the King. The buns are one of the worst parts one these burgers and organic mince is way better for you. 8 times the vitamin K for example. When you can leave a patty under your bed for a year and have it look the same as the day it has been served something is seriously, seriously wrong. Exercise is important for strengthening your tissues and bones and getting your heart going. Counting calories is not necessarily at all, in fact most people think the wrong foods are healthy and avoid foods with fat when they are counting calories because they think they're bad from you. What you put in your body has a far bigger effect on your weight than anything else. In short: avoid things with added sugar, avoid processed foods, eat fresh, local and learn to love cooking, avoid foods labelled low-fat because that usually means higher in sugar and the only thing eating stuff like this does is reduce the protein hormone count in your body (complex groups of amino acids) which throws off the apatite and metabolism process in your body. Like the way drinking carbonated sodas gives one spare tyre syndrome. The body isn't design to consume it. If you eat the right things you'll never need to count another calorie again, because your body begins to tell what what you need and when you've had enough and generally regulates itself like a well oiled machine.

Sounds like a very nice diet. I also have a healthy diet, but my comments were in response to your initial remark regarding diabetes. You can eat whatever you want so long as it is in moderation, you get adequate exercise and don't smoke. Staying physically fit and getting plenty of sleep are the best preventions from diabetes. Obese people are at a greater risk of getting diabetes because they are eating way too many calories and getting zero exercise. It is a quantity issue. They don't have an occasional burger and soda, they have like five a day.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

Sounds like a very nice diet. I also have a healthy diet, but my comments were in response to your initial remark regarding diabetes. You can eat whatever you want so long as it is in moderation, you get adequate exercise and don't smoke. Staying physically fit and getting plenty of sleep are the best preventions from diabetes. Obese people are at a greater risk of getting diabetes because they are eating way too many calories and getting zero exercise. It is a quantity issue. They don't have an occasional burger and soda, they have like five a day.

 

I understand that. But fast food is still junk.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I understand that. But fast food is still junk.

Is it? All restaurants that expedite food service only serve food items that are junk food?

I enjoy Panera Bread. They have a drive-thru. They bake their own breads and make their own soups and sandwiches in-house. Their bread barely last a day at home due to a lack of preservatives. Sure, it's probably not as healthy as eating steamed kelp (but neither is any bread and red meat) but I don't see how this is junk food. They do have fountain drinks which contain high-fructose corn syrup and potato chips as an optional side with a sandwich which are not healthy but if having just one or two unhealthy items makes the entire restaurant junk then you'd be hard pressed to find any that satisfy all your requirements.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
 

I understand that. But fast food is still junk.

Not everything that fast food restaurants offer is complete junk, just like not everything the grocery store sells is junk, although they both have some relatively healthy choices for those who want them and some terrible choices as well.

 

There are varying levels of quality in everything. It is difficult to be a perfectionist and still enjoy life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #26 of 35
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
Their bread barely last a day at home due to a lack of preservatives.

 

They’ve FINALLY taken to putting their bagels inside BAGS in that big cardboard carrying thing they give you. Why did it take them so long to figure that out? You get that many bagels, it’s either because you want to have them ahead or they’re for a party. If you want them ahead, they’re rock hard in two days! You can’t eat those! But in bags, they keep and keep.

 

Oh, and their bread. You’re right about loaves barely lasting, which is a shame because how am I to eat an entire loaf of tomato basil before it gets all moldy? Always had that problem in the past. But as I sit here, I have half a loaf in my breadbox in the kitchen that I’ve had for… oh, at least two weeks now, and it’s not showing any signs of anything. Looks fine. I’m actually more concerned about it looking fine than I ever was about the mold on past loaves! 

 

Their cream cheese, on the other hand, is pretty bad for you. But hey, it’s cream cheese. That’s to be expected. All things in moderation.

 

Speaking of Ireland (the place), when I lived there, I was really happy to see the legally mandated small print on the signs at McDonald’s that said (roughly), “Eat in moderation; a couple of times per month”. That’s one of the few things I like about the EU. That and “smoking causes lung cancer” on their tobacco products instead of “may have sort of kind of been associated with an increased risk of…” over here.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, and their bread. You’re right about loaves barely lasting, which is a shame because how am I to eat an entire loaf of tomato basil before it gets all moldy? Always had that problem in the past. But as I sit here, I have half a loaf in my breadbox in the kitchen that I’ve had for… oh, at least two weeks now, and it’s not showing any signs of anything. Looks fine. I’m actually more concerned about it looking fine than I ever was about the mold on past loaves! 

I don't usually eat a lot in one sitting but once I take a bit of their French bread it's gone. That includes an entire low which is about 1100-1200 calories (I counted).

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’m actually more concerned about it looking fine than I ever was about the mold on past loaves! 

Maybe because there's a lot less mold spores in your bread box than in the open air. 1wink.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 35
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I don't usually eat a lot in one sitting but once I take a bit of their French bread it's gone. That includes an entire low which is about 1100-1200 calories (I counted).

 

Apparently wheat causes cancer these days. That’s a shame; I won’t eat white bread.

 

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Maybe because there's a lot less mold spores in your bread box than in the open air. 1wink.gif


Oh, they’ve always been there.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apparently wheat causes cancer these days. That’s a shame; I won’t eat white bread.



Oh, they’ve always been there.

Wheat has been changed dramatically over the years.

I know that the spores are still there just in much lesser amounts.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I know that the spores are still there just in much lesser amounts.

 

That’s one of my favorite kinds of humor. :lol:

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds like a very nice diet. I also have a healthy diet, but my comments were in response to your initial remark regarding diabetes. You can eat whatever you want so long as it is in moderation, you get adequate exercise and don't smoke. Staying physically fit and getting plenty of sleep are the best preventions from diabetes. Obese people are at a greater risk of getting diabetes because they are eating way too many calories and getting zero exercise. It is a quantity issue. They don't have an occasional burger and soda, they have like five a day.

Yet whenever I go to a fast food place there's always old people hanging out. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 35
Passbook support?
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Passbook support?

Coronary artery bypass support?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #35 of 35

At least BK is WAY better than McDo...and owned by Brazilians, who know a thing or two about really good beef.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Burger King to take e-wallet purchasing nationwide with new mobile app