or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director wants Christian Bale to play role of Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic

Director wants Christian Bale to play role of Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic

post #1 of 53
Acclaimed director David Fincher is considering taking the reins of Sony's upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, but will reportedly do so only if the studio allows Christian Bale to fill the lead role.

Christian Bale
Source: TheWrap

Fincher, best known for directing The Social Network and Fight Club, made his position known during a recent meeting with Sony Pictures Entertainment co-chairman Amy Pascal, according to TheWrap. Bale has not yet been approached, the publication says, but he is not currently attached to any future projects.

Bale was under the cowl for the role of Batman in Christopher Nolan's blockbuster Dark Knight trilogy, though he's also been involved in more critically acclaimed films such as American Hustle and The Fighter. He is also known among film buffs for his roles in cult classics American Psycho and Equilibrium.

Emmy- and Oscar-winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin -- known for political drama The West Wing and his partnership with Fincher on The Social Network, a film about the formative years of Facebook -- penned the script. Based on Walter Isaacson's canonical Steve Jobs biography, the movie is expected to revolve around backstage machinations at three separate Apple product unveilings representing three different eras of Jobs's life.

Sony is reportedly set to begin filming late in 2014, though scheduling conflicts may push the commencement date back to early 2015. It would be the second Steve Jobs biopic made since the former Apple CEO's death, following 2013's Jobs starring Ashton Kutcher.
post #2 of 53
He'd be a great choice. He's got more than enough range to play Steve Jobs.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #3 of 53
Yes! Christian Bale would nail it! Like he does most films.
post #4 of 53
He'd be great. What a good idea.
post #5 of 53
Great choice. Can't wait.
post #6 of 53
Hadn't thought of him, but yeah... good fit.
(Particularly if you've seen the on-set videos of his temper tantrums... sounds like type-casting to me. 1smile.gif
post #7 of 53

Bale's a genius, flat out.  

post #8 of 53
Ditto...excellent choice that I hadn't thought of. In addition to terrific acting chops (American Hustle!) Bale even has that very subtle lisp that Steve had.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #9 of 53

Batman > Steve Jobs > American Psycho

Yes he has the range needed for this role.

post #10 of 53
I think Bale would be a great choice. I just really hope he doesn't go overboard and try to mimic Steve's body in his last couple years like he did in "The Machinist".
post #11 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

And (not to be too crass) don't forget about The Machinist.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 53

I hope they can let him show a little Patrick Bateman.

They could take the story about Steve throwing Newtons out of his office and...embellish.

post #13 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Amazing job as a drug addict in The Fighter.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #14 of 53
Hmmm...I don't know.

Does anybody here think Bale has what it takes to play Steve having a tantrum?

Does he really have any experience in this area?

1wink.gif
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
post #15 of 53
I can't wait to see the scene in the film where Bill Gates steals ideas for his Windows operating system from Jobs so Steve punches him in the face and leaves him hanging upside down from a nearby building rooftop.

Or where Steve gets booked for parking the Batmobile in handicapped parking spots.

Awesome.
post #16 of 53
Bale is the best non-Daniel Day Lewis choice.
Should erase the memory of Ashton Kutcher.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #17 of 53

I didn't have the slightest interest in the Kutcher one, but this is starting to sound like quality: Sorkin, Isaacson, Fincher, Bale? Wow.

Now get Giamatti to play Woz.

post #18 of 53

This is the first thread I've ever seen on AI where the first dozen or so posts were positive about whatever rumor or reports was presented in the article.  Where are the Christian Bale haters?

post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

I didn't have the slightest interest in the Kutcher one, but this is starting to sound like quality: Sorkin, Isaacson, Fincher, Bale? Wow.

Isaacson screwed up Jobs biography and should not be seen as a positive.

I would rather see Jorge Garcia play Woz.
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

This is the first thread I've ever seen on AI where the first dozen or so posts were positive about whatever rumor or reports was presented in the article.  Where are the Christian Bale haters?
Sucking up to Superman.
post #21 of 53
I'm leary that it could well be yet another lame cash-grab movie/book... but good casting pick!
post #22 of 53
Ever since I read that Aaron Sorkin was on board to write the script, I'd been racking my brains thinking who would play Steve, and couldn't think of anybody suitable (I have to admit Ashton Kutcher wasn't half bad!) and now I read here it could be Christian Bale, and it fits! I'm also surprised at myself for Bale not occurring to me either, as for a good few years now, he's been my favourite Hollywood actor! (It used to be Johnny Depp but he's been doing too many uninteresting big budget types over recent years) I hope CB agrees to do it - he'd be great!
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

Bale is a horrible choice. He doesn't even have NFC or an SD card slot!! I can't even customize his face.

I think Bale has Jobs' temper down. Good choice.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Giamatti is a good choice, but I'd go with Zach Galifianakis.
post #25 of 53

I don't think that any living actor could accurately portray Steve.  He was too complex for their meager talents.

post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, hard to argue with Sorkin - Fincher - Bale. The movie may not be any good but you could hardly stack it any better. 

post #27 of 53
Daniel Day Lewis. He will get every single one of Jobs' nuances right. He'll be uncanny.

But if Bale duplicates his Patrick Bates role, then he's 98% of the way there. Minus the chainsaw and Huey Lewis.
post #28 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Daniel Day Lewis. He will get every single one of Jobs' nuances right. He'll be uncanny.

Then SJ can tell Eric Schmidt "I drink your milkshake" lol.gif
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Hmmm...I don't know.

Does anybody here think Bale has what it takes to play Steve having a tantrum?

Does he really have any experience in this area?

1wink.gif

lol, I'd say so.

post #30 of 53

Christian Bale is a great candidate.  But my choice would be Daniel Day-Lewis.

post #31 of 53
Didn't I see that movie with Ashton Kutcher? Not
post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He'd be a great choice. He's got more than enough range to play Steve Jobs.

1) He can get emotional without consideration for another's feelings when he's focusing on perfection, like Jobs...

[see evolution's post above for video]

edit: Dammit! I just noticed @GTR and @Evilution pipped me.

2) He can lose weight to play Steve toward the end…

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/20/14 at 5:17pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #33 of 53
Yes please. He's the perfect choice. Phenomenal actor.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) He can get emotional without consideration for another's feelings when he's focusing on perfection, like Jobs...

[see evolution's post above for video]

edit: Dammit! I just noticed @GTR and @Evilution pipped me.

2) He can lose weight to play Steve toward the end…

You are probably being faceceos but I thought this screenplay was supposed to focus on just the iPod or iPhone unveiling?
post #35 of 53
Just don't check lights "distracting" him during a scene in Terminator! Nothing but two people and green screen crap all over the place. Like that scene couldn't have been done fifty times over! A fricken' cardboard box terminator--oooohh! The light guy apologized but ASSHOLE Bale would not give it up, the PoS! Maybe had the director screamed quiet on the set, ACTION, then the light guy wouldn't have checked the lights. Of course this was after the director asked sound if all was good%u2026 I refuse to see anything that shit Bale is in. I don't care WHAT role he plays in whatever movie. Typical Hollywood douche! Name me one job outside of those asshole Hollywood types where one employee, and that was what Bale was, can ream another while telling his supervisor to shut the F' up and still have HIS job?

Screw Bale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJCGGTPY5w

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just don't check lights "distracting" him during a scene in Terminator! Nothing but two people and green screen crap all over the place. Like that scene couldn't have been done fifty times over! A fricken' cardboard box terminator--oooohh! The light guy apologized but ASSHOLE Bale would not give it up, the PoS! Maybe had the director screamed quiet on the set, ACTION, then the light guy wouldn't have checked the lights. Of course this was after the director asked sound if all was good%u2026 I refuse to see anything that shit Bale is in. I don't care WHAT role he plays in whatever movie. Typical Hollywood douche! Name me one job outside of those asshole Hollywood types where one employee, and that was what Bale was, can ream another while telling his supervisor to shut the F' up and still have HIS job?

Screw Bale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuJCGGTPY5w

That's either fake or a reenactment.
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's either fake or a reenactment.

It's both. It's a fake video posing as being real that is attempting to reenact the scene by choreographing to the original audio.

post #38 of 53

"...one more thing" </batman voice>

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Method actor.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

What, the memory of Ashton Kutcher playing Steve Jobs pretending to act like Ashton Kutcher??
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Director wants Christian Bale to play role of Steve Jobs in upcoming biopic