or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmaurice View Post

iTunes for Android? Never. Going. To. Happen.

iTunes for Windows was instrumental for iPod adoption, and subsequent dominance of the personal music player market. The difference was that every iTunes for Windows user still bought a high-margin piece of Apple hardware. iTunes for Android doesn't do any good for Apple. The iTunes Store may be a net profit center for Apple, but it's a negligible one compared to hardware profits.

That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?  Apple no longer pushes the product anymore.  iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.  They could have iTunes for Android if they ever improve their iTunes Radio service, then get Android users to pay for the service (iTunes Match or a rumored streaming service).  Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone.  Did you ever think about that?  iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.

post #42 of 70

Interesting proposition, seems like a smart move to me.

post #43 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Why do people still think iTunes is DRM? Music has been non-DRM for nearly 10 years now!

Maybe because their movies, books, and audiobooks all contain DRM?
post #44 of 70
The music industry made a huge mistake allowing the "all you can eat model". It's a race to the bottom like no other. Music sales will eventually evaporate completely. Moronic at best. Revenues are going to evaporate dramatically, and in the end it will be the artists that get screwed the most.
post #45 of 70
This probably explains the rumored iOS 8's standalone iTunes Radio app. This feature will more than likely be built into it, and include the station features of the regular iTunes Radio we have now
post #46 of 70
That just need to let me choose what I stream over iTunes Radio, and I'll stop paying Spotify every month.
post #47 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
 

That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?  Apple no longer pushes the product anymore.  iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.  They could have iTunes for Android if they ever improve their iTunes Radio service, then get Android users to pay for the service (iTunes Match or a rumored streaming service).  Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone.  Did you ever think about that?  iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.

There's an iPod in every iPhone. Of course they don't "push" the iPod, Apple would much rather you buy a more expensive iPhone, but for those who don't, there's the iPod. iTMS generates profits, but it's hardly the business that iOS devices are (and streaming is likely far less lucrative than music sales). So, where's the upside to opening it to Android? It would take a LOT of music sales to an Android user to match the margin on an iPhone, so why take away a major reason to enter, and stay, in the iOS ecosystem? Apple would much rather lose whatever iTMS revenue Android customers would bring in to maintain it as a major feature differentiator for iOS products. Apple doesn't sell music because they want to be music retailers, they sell music to make their high-margin hardware more appealing.

 

As for "feedback from Android users requesting an iTunes client on their phone" I'm sure Apple's answer would be "buy an iPhone."

post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For those not aware of it Google aldready provides a way to sync your iTunes library with Google Music for your Android device.
http://www.androidpit.com/itunes-and-android-how-to-sync

Oh there you go again, selflessly looking after Apple's interests.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

The music industry made a huge mistake allowing the "all you can eat model". It's a race to the bottom like no other. Music sales will eventually evaporate completely. Moronic at best. Revenues are going to evaporate dramatically, and in the end it will be the artists that get screwed the most.

 

And Apple tried their best to save them. Or At least the artist. As far as we known there isn't a sustainable Music Subscription services yet. Asia aside ( since most artist there aren't really just artist, they are more of celeb with many other sources of revenue ). 

 

Now if anyone, it would very likely Apple to be able to pull of a sustainable music subscription services.  However, being sustainable doesn't mean the artist gets a good deal either.

post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

For those not aware of it Google aldready provides a way to sync your iTunes library with Google Music for your Android device.
http://www.androidpit.com/itunes-and-android-how-to-sync

Reminds me of Webos fails to try to sync via iTunes.   Great advert you did though, I'm sure it made a pretty penny.  You do the google witness good, and no I don't want the "search" tower brochure.  

iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
iMac 2007, Macbook pro 2008, Mac Mini 2011
Reply
post #51 of 70
Quote:
 What would iTunes give them that Google Play/Spotify doesn't?

AAC is more resistant to squawks, squeals, and is much better hiding compression defects compared to MP3.  Maybe it's the kind of music I buy, but I can't stand MP3s.  At least two songs on an album will have loud MP3 defects.  iPhones don't offer anything I need so I'm using Android.  If Apple sold music to anyone I'd probably make more impulse buys, especially while traveling and craving some new music.

 

You don't turn away customers because you don't think they're buying enough products.  Apple's walled garden is at the point where it's keeping more customers out than in.  Check the stats.  Ask people with Android why they didn't buy an iPhone.  Also check out how cheap 64GB and 128GB microSD cards are.

post #52 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McMurtrie View Post

Ask people with Android why they didn't buy an iPhone.

It might have something to do with the fact that Apple doesn't sell a phone lower than $450... price is a HUGE part of choosing a phone.

I'm not saying all Android phones are cheap... but most cheap phones sold today are running Android.

You know Apple doesn't do cheap. Hell... their laptops start at $1,000... and that's for an 11" model!!! 1eek.gif

So yeah... if you could ask every person on Earth why they bought an Android phone... I bet most of them would say price.

And most didn't choose Android as much as they were looking for a cheap phone and it happened to be running Android.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Only if Apple could support if with ad sales...and they conceivably could.

Or a dollar per year copying WhatsApp's model.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #54 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post
 

Reminds me of Webos fails to try to sync via iTunes.   Great advert you did though, I'm sure it made a pretty penny.  You do the google witness good, and no I don't want the "search" tower brochure.  

 

What? It's insanely simple to use. I used this service back when I had an iPod, iPad and iPhone 4 years ago because I hated iTunes so much. It's fantastically easy. Download the app. Open your music folder. Click upload. Done. My girlfriend did the same thing for her iPhone 5. If you haven't used it, I highly recommend you try it out. It's free, obviously.

I think being handcuffed to iTunes was what initially pushed me away from iOS. I see releasing an iTunes app as a good move for Apple, assuming iTunes is not as horrific as it used to be.

post #55 of 70
Absolutely never going to happen. The only reason iTunes for Windows happened was because it was an ESSENTIAL to spread iPod adoption. The end. It wasn't to "sell more music". Windows users don't buy music, neither do Andorp users.

Not to mention what a huge conflict of interest this would be, and would amount to acknowledging the existence of the platform and doing something beneficial for it....instead of continuing the campaign to burn it into the ground, as they should.
post #56 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Absolutely never going to happen. The only reason iTunes for Windows happened was because it was an ESSENTIAL to spread iPod adoption. The end. It wasn't to "sell more music". Windows users don't buy music, neither do Andorp users.

  In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media. If this is the case all of the media companies would be facing total oblivion and extinction by now. Hang on there not, therefore I must surmise that view point is a crock of horse dung.

post #57 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

  In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media. If this is the case all of the media companies would be facing total oblivion and extinction by now. Hang on there not, therefore I must surmise that view point is a crock of horse dung.

I'll give you an example. I'm at the gym one day and a couple of guys are talking. They're talking about newly released movies and being able to watch on their phone. I ask them what app they're using to watch those movies and they're like "you got an Android?" I'm like no, iPhone. They're like "sorry you can't get this app."

Of course this is in a vacuum but that's 5 android users easily getting pirated movies, in 2014, on their phones.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

  In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media. If this is the case all of the media companies would be facing total oblivion and extinction by now. Hang on there not, therefore I must surmise that view point is a crock of horse dung.

I'll give you an example. I'm at the gym one day and a couple of guys are talking. They're talking about newly released movies and being able to watch on their phone. I ask them what app they're using to watch those movies and they're like "you got an Android?" I'm like no, iPhone. They're like "sorry you can't get this app."

Of course this is in a vacuum but that's 5 android users easily getting pirated movies, in 2014, on their phones.
Wow five people at the gym now means all windows and android users!!! What app were they using btw?
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
 

The only reason Apple made itunes for Windows is you needed a PC to use an iPod and most people used a Windows PC. How does itunes on Android sell Apple hardware.

Probably doesn't, not directly anyway; the idea is to sell music. Apple does have one of the largest music libraries, if not THE largest, and has the clout to get the first shot at exclusive new album releases. Any other Beyonce fans here? And don't forget iTunes Festival - some damn good shows there.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

Reply
post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How about all Android users are connected to the internet, it is a cellphone with constant internet access.  Your comment demonstrates your ignorance.
Your above comment was so stupid, this one is equally stupid.  The Windows version of iTunes is dogshit, always has been.

Well you are such a pleasant fellow aren't you. I will explain.

I was referring to the fact that iOS totally dominates internet traffic yet is apparently out numbered a zillion to 1 if you believe the media by Android devices. Hence my comment ... it was poking fun at the media ...think about it, simple math means a lot of Android devices seem to not be connected ... get it? It's a well known joke amongst Apple folks, that given the internet data, most Android devices must be under beds collecting dust or playing Angry Birds ...

Second point. I'd say in fact it's Windows that's 'dogshit' . I suspect most iTune issues are really more to do with screwed up Windows, Virus protection software and the like. Remember the saying about Windows ... 'Plug and pray' 1wink.gif
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #61 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Wmp is not the topic being discussed. If and its a big if Apple make a itunes android version, if its not any good then it wont enhance their reputation to android users.

we were discussing iTunes being introduced as quality software to Windows users. before iTunes we were struggling with the horror of WMP. switching to iTunes was a Godsend to us! and switching to a mac and using iTunes was jaw dropping.

Everything on Windows will suck. That's a given.
post #62 of 70
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
That was 10 years ago.  So where is the iPod now?

 

Let’s see. iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, iPhone, iPad, oh, and on every single computer that runs OS X.

 

You blind?

 
iTunes no longer pushes iPod sales or iOS sales.
iTunes stopped pushing hardware sales years ago.

 

[citation needed, but will never be provided, because it isn’t true]

 
Perhaps Apple has received enough feedback from Android users

 

1. They couldn’t care less about feedback from Android users.

2. There is nowhere for Android users to submit “feedback”. Apple offers no products or services associated with Android. Apple does not acknowledge that Android exists. Apple SHOULD NOT acknowledge that Android exists.

 

Do you have any idea how many idiots would whore “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”?

 

Originally Posted by singularity View Post
In your version of reality does this mean all Windows and Android (I think your spell checker might be faulty?) just pirate media.


Sounds like a pathetic attempt at a strawman argument to me. From you, that is.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
Reply
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post

Wow five people at the gym now means all windows and android users!!! What app were they using btw?
Didn't say all users pirate media just relaying the fact that it is easy to do on Android and I did note that it was only an observation of 5 users in a vacuum. I do not know which app it was. Nice exclamation points.
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

I don't listen to much radio anymore but what's the big difference between iTunes Radio and this Spotify like streaming service? Seems like the same thing to me. Pick a band it plays them.

Wouldn't it make sense for apple to somehow let us iTunes Radio w/o a data charge? Hook your iPhone up to your car stereo through a USB and listen on the road with no data charge. Why can't apple do that?

Because:
a) Apple has no clout with the wireless carriers. Sure they could become their own MVNO, but you'd still be charged 10 cents a kilobyte. They can only pass on the charges they are charged.
b) Spotify, Pandora, Rdio, etc have to pay pennies each time a song is played, regardless if you listen to it. So does Apple. A monthly service does not cover that cost, because everyone wants a cut. Why do you think the majority of the music on these services are cover versions? If Apple can make it so that they have more clout over the music companies, then they can eliminate more of the middle-man overhead by dealing with them directly instead of third party licencing agencies.

How did you think radio works? Some people sitting in an office playing retail CD's ? No no no. They have a license to use specific cd's that are given to them. They can't go out and rip their own to stream. 4G data also isn't seamless. Try streaming a any of those services while you're out in North Dakota. There isn't even 2.5G data out there, it's GPRS/EDGE, and only when you're in the towns. You need to have LTE access to stream high quality radio due to latency reasons, but better yet, have the radio station push the next song in the playlist when data is available or loop back to what has already been downloaded when data is not available.

What people seem to forget is that good quality mobile data is only available for about 5 miles outside of major population centers, that's generally good enough for commuters but not for travelers.
post #65 of 70
iTunes for Android is going to be a big mistake for Apple, in my opinion. Rather than driving Android users to iOS, it will make the switch from iOS to Android much easier.
BTW, where's Apple "going thermonuclear war on Android" in all this?
Edited by LilSmirk - 3/23/14 at 2:55am
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Let’s see. iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iPod classic, iPhone, iPad, oh, and on every single computer that runs OS X.

 

You blind?

 

[citation needed, but will never be provided, because it isn’t true]

 

1. They couldn’t care less about feedback from Android users.

2. There is nowhere for Android users to submit “feedback”. Apple offers no products or services associated with Android. Apple does not acknowledge that Android exists. Apple SHOULD NOT acknowledge that Android exists.

 

Do you have any idea how many idiots would whore “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em”?

 


Sounds like a pathetic attempt at a strawman argument to me. From you, that is.

it may be a pathetic strawman argument from me but I was just responding to an anecdotal example that inferred that all android users pirated.  My inference may be due to my (mis)understanding of the post or its intent

post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Or a dollar per year copying WhatsApp's model.

Possibly, although I understand WhatsApp was still losing money until they were bought by Facebook. Now they'll just be folded in and their losses will be papered over with Facebook's ad revenue.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #68 of 70

There is often a fair bit of hoo-hah about Apple being dependent on the iPhone for 50%+ of its revenues.  As iTunes is a healthy business expanding it for some corporate diversification could be seen as a sensible move.

 

I don't think iTunes as a music and video store offers a whole lot of tie-in value any more; iPod is slowly but surely dying and iOS gets more of its value from the app store ecosystem, and by being the better mobile computing operating system for many.  Apple TV still gets some of that tie-in value, but I think we're only talking about expanding the iTunes Store to Android smartphones, not the whole Android ecosystem.  iTunes as a product in itself could still offer a lot of value as a music vending product on other mobile platforms, as it has proved on desktop Windows.

 

Since the music element of iTunes is DRM-free anyway, I think this could be a good move, if Apple can deliver a good product.  Experience with Apple-developed Windows programs casts some doubt, but I'm sure they could deliver if they put enough backing behind the initiative.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #69 of 70
What if iTunes for android was really the soft diplomacy way to link an Apple account to an android device so that if Apple rolls out a mobile payment system it is functional across ~100% of mobile devices instead of just iOS (or just android).

Mobile payments have been technically feasible for a while but past and current implementations leave a lot to be desired in terms of security, ease of use and rate of adoption. Note that Apple has a proven track in these areas.

And Apple is in a relatively unique position of having the clout to take on credit card companies, play them off against one another and negotiate their way into a cut of the transaction fee.

Providing strong incentives to get merchants on board could also be a helpful step towards improving Maps POI data.
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

What if iTunes for android was really the soft diplomacy way to link an Apple account to an android device so that if Apple rolls out a mobile payment system it is functional across ~100% of mobile devices instead of just iOS (or just android).

Mobile payments have been technically feasible for a while but past and current implementations leave a lot to be desired in terms of security, ease of use and rate of adoption. Note that Apple has a proven track in these areas.

And Apple is in a relatively unique position of having the clout to take on credit card companies, play them off against one another and negotiate their way into a cut of the transaction fee.

Providing strong incentives to get merchants on board could also be a helpful step towards improving Maps POI data.

I think you've got it. If Apple is in fact working on iTunes for Android, this theory makes a lot of sense.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple reportedly exploring on-demand music streaming service, iTunes for Android