or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro

Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are right. It was a bit over the top. I apologize to all who were offended.

My point although poorly communicated is that Apple is NOT A FUCKING RELIGION. just a pretty good corporation.

I disagree. Apple is not 'just' anything; Apple is special.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #42 of 76
Quote:

Jump to 25:00 on the time for the major iPad prophesy

Steve talking about how they are designing the product they want to see but it's not yet possible is exactly how I see Apple now with the wearables market and why the iPhon and iPad came out when they did. When the technology finally exists they will finally launch, but not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I disagree. Apple is not 'just' anything; Apple is special.

He's not saying Apple isn't special, but they aren't magical or supernatural. They simply work in ways that are different from their competitors. It's a cultural difference which means it's a decision that Apple employees actively make because of the decisions their founder actively made. Of course, the same can be said for religions, too.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Steve talking about how they are designing the product they want to see but it's not yet possible is exactly how I see Apple now with the wearables market and why the iPhon and iPad came out when they did. When the technology finally exists they will finally launch, but not before.
He's not saying Apple isn't special, but they aren't magical or supernatural. They simply work in ways that are different from their competitors. It's a cultural difference which means it's a decision that Apple employees actively make because of the decisions their founder actively made. Of course, the same can be said for religions, too.

I think you're splitting hairs. He was essentially taking issue with my strong language and trying to take it down a peg or two. Anyway, Apple is a magical company; look at the iPad. 1wink.gif
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #44 of 76
Quote:

I think you're splitting hairs. He was essentially taking issue with my strong language and trying to take it down a peg or two. Anyway, Apple is a magical company; look at the iPad. 1wink.gif

I assume you mean mstone when you use 'he' but I don't understand what is being referred. I only see an apology and a link to Steve talking back in 1983 but I don't what the apology is for.

My comments were regarding what I quoted and calling Apple a religion is not something I agree with. They are people making products and the only thing separating them from their lessors are what they hold dear in their creations.

post #45 of 76
Quote:

I assume you mean mstone when you use 'he' but I don't understand what is being referred. I only see an apology and a link to Steve talking back in 1983 but I don't what the apology is for.

My comments were regarding what I quoted and calling Apple a religion is not something I agree with. They are people making products and the only thing separating them from their lessors are what they hold dear in their creations.

Yes, I was referring to mstone. He was replying to Pixeldoc, who referenced a post I made. No-one was calling Apple a religion, though mstone seemed to take issue with my language and made a sarcastic reply talking about Steve Jobs being crucified and referring to Mount Cupertino. He then made a pseudo non-apology 'if any offence was caused.'
- African proverb
- African proverb
post #46 of 76
Quote:

Yes, I was referring to mstone. He was replying to Pixeldoc, who referenced a post I made. No-one was calling Apple a religion, though mstone seemed to take issue with my language and made a sarcastic reply talking about Steve Jobs being crucified and referring to Mount Cupertino. He then made a pseudo non-apology 'if any offence was caused.'

It doesn't sound insincere to me and from experience I don't think he'd placate anyone one of us here with an insincere gesture. That being said, this conversation is much more intense than I realized so I'm going to slowly… walk…. backwards….. out…… of……. the…….. room. 1tongue.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/23/14 at 6:55pm

post #47 of 76

I'm sure it's a good monitor...but I like my stuff to match. I wouldn't consider a Logitech keyboard or a monitor that wasn't made by Apple.

If I was going to get a MacPro (I'm not) I'd wait till the next iteration of an Apple monitor comes out.

Best

post #48 of 76
Quote:

Jump to 25:00 on the time for the major iPad prophesy 

Yup... and as we all know, the iPad was actually already sitting on a shelf when SJ spotted it and decided to make the iPhone first.

Notes:
1) he actually hinted at his "mobile communications device" earlier in the speach at 11:00.

2) he then went into his discussion of how people first use new technology using old habits, lamenting the video disk only being used for movies at the time of his speach.

3) leading into at about 13:00, his seeing the experiment by MIT in Aspen 4-5 years earlier, that was the obvious precurser to Google Street View.

4) which makes me wonder how much of Google's ballyhooed "innovation" actually came from SJ relaying these little bits of vision and experience in conversations with Larry and Sergei. I believe they even called him a sort of "mentor" once in an interview in their early years.

5) following that hypothesis, it surely was a punch in the gut to SJ when they decided to "lift" his ideas with Android, and no wonder his emotions got the best of him to go "thermonuclear" on their punk a**es. "Herr" Schmidt and his snooping around the Apple campus may have had little to do with the declaration of war, but it was rather his "protegés" that dissappointed him the most.

6) with his observation of "interest lists" at PARC, I think he was looking at social media communications, rather than what some people commented were the precurser to Craig's List.

Enough. The evidence is there that the guy was far... far!... more visionary than most people ever gave him credit for. Always trying to pull him down to a level that they could understand, rather than open their eyes and mind and at least try to see what and where he was going with his "far out left field" ideas and principles.

To this day, most "experts" still don't truly understand "why" Apple is as successful as they are, and are quick to point to Microsoft saving them "or else they would have died long ago". Not only is that an unintelligent deception (just to be diplomatic about it), but... doesn't look deeper and see that this guy more than likely would have found a way to bring these products and services to us all one way or another, with or without an Apple logo on them. He was that determined and it's surely why he was so hard to deal with for so many people. That level of intensity can get on anyone's nerves after a while, imagine it every day for 15-16 hours?!

I'm just glad that enough great minds did put up with him... and are continuing to bring us his visionary products after his passing. We haven't seen the last of Steve Job's "vision" by far. We'll just have to get by learning as a community to use these new devices without him, with his old devices that he gave us in hand to ease the way.

That's All Folks! ... 1smoking.gif
Edited by ThePixelDoc - 3/24/14 at 2:39am
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #49 of 76
Quote:

Abso-freakin'-lutely!
That's why I "try" to curtail my awe of SJ and Apple... but rarily succeed.

I also believe that there are far worse organizations to be a cult member of... many of them well known with millions upon millions of members that like to burn and kill you if you "think different". Sometimes in these forums and others, you feel the zealotry that leads people to do this. Amazing isn't it? 1eek.gif
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Not only is that an unintelligent deception (just to be diplomatic about it), but... doesn't look deeper and see that this guy more than likely would have found a way to bring these products and services to us all one way or another, with or without an Apple logo on them.

Even Steve's greatest corporate failure, NeXT, is responsible for the OS that that is in a half-billion devices in use today. I wish I had his drive to make something great.

post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

5) following that hypothesis, it surely was a punch in the gut to SJ when they decided to "lift" his ideas with Android, and no wonder his emotions got the best of him to go "thermonuclear" on their punk a**es. "Herr" Schmidt and his snooping around the Apple campus may have had little to do with the declaration of war, but it was rather his "protegés" that dissappointed him the most.

According to emails made available recently Mr Jobs was already threatening to go thermonuclear on Google before they had even purchased Android in 2005. Seems he didn't like anyone hiring Apple employees too much and told Brin he willing to go to war over it if even one named engineer was hired by them.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #52 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to emails made available recently Mr Jobs was already threatening to go thermonuclear on Google before they had even purchased Android in 2005. Seems he didn't like anyone hiring Apple employees too much and told Brin he willing to go to war over it if even one named engineer was hired by them.

[image]

Which is shitty on Jobs part as it weakens the employee's position for looking for work with more pay.

post #53 of 76
Quote:

Jobs' letter doesn't indicate the team being sought by Google, but it would seem to have been important (to both companies). Apple had likely already assembled an iPhone team, and Google wouldn't have decided to buy Android overnight but its interests/intentions might already have been well-known to Apple executives. Most of what the iPhone team was developing could have been still secret, and if any member of that team had moved to Google, even with confidentiality clauses in place, leaking of important information can happen unintentionally.

post #54 of 76

Sorry to interrupt this Steve Jobs chat, but can someone explain what this sentence in the review means?

"An official number for panel life expectancy is not published, but because it is a professional product, Sharp tells us lifetime is one step below tolerance for a 24/7 duty cycle."

Sounds like hand-waving mumbo jumbo to me.  "One step below tolerance" doesn't sound like a good thing.  How big a step?

post #55 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Jobs' letter doesn't indicate the team being sought by Google, but it would seem to have been important (to both companies). Apple had likely already assembled an iPhone team, and Google wouldn't have decided to buy Android overnight but its interests/intentions might already have been well-known to Apple executives. Most of what the iPhone team was developing could have been still secret, and if any member of that team had moved to Google, even with confidentiality clauses in place, leaking of important information can happen unintentionally.

According to timelines from Apple exec's they didn't start work in earnest on the iPhone until after Google's Android buy. I don't personally think the two were related events.

The engineer who Jobs was concerned with worked on Safari. At Mr. Jobs insistence (threats?) Google made it a point not to hire any more engineers coming over from Apple's Safari team, nor any other of their other employees for that matter unless it was OK'd with Apple.
post #56 of 76

This Sharp monitor achieves 60 Hz display through MST.  If OS 10.9.3 will enable running this monitor at 60Hz over DisplayPort on Retina Macbook Pro, does that mean the rMBP will also support daisy chaining DisplayPort 1.2 monitors or using MST hubs such as this one:

http://www.accellcables.com/K088B-003B.html

post #57 of 76
If the only thing that matters is the display panel, this sounds great but I have never read a review with so many negative (creaky, flexible cheap plastic bezel, buttons that are iffy, crappy audio, take apart to rotate, etc.

How does this reviewer give the unit a 4.5? Obviously this person is so wowed by a big screen that nothing else matters. From what I read, this unit rates a 2.5 to 3.

Best to have a real live pro review this kind of gear.
post #58 of 76
Quote:

Dude, there is no flaming sword of truth or a exorcism of demons. Get a grip man. Apple is a money making machine. You are delusional if you think that you belong to some elect group because you purchased an Apple product. Grow up.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #59 of 76
Quote:

Dude, there is no flaming sword of truth or a exorcism of demons. Get a grip man. Apple is a money making machine. You are delusional if you think that you belong to some elect group because you purchased an Apple product. Grow up.

Your post is like putting kerosene on a fire that was that almost out. Why… do…. I….. keep…… par-……. tic-…….. i-……… pat-………. ing?

post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYancy View Post

If the only thing that matters is the display panel, this sounds great but I have never read a review with so many negative (creaky, flexible cheap plastic bezel, buttons that are iffy, crappy audio, take apart to rotate, etc.

How does this reviewer give the unit a 4.5? Obviously this person is so wowed by a big screen that nothing else matters. From what I read, this unit rates a 2.5 to 3.

Best to have a real live pro review this kind of gear.

In all fairness, Apple's monitor does not rotate to portrait orientation either.  But at least the stand on the Sharp monitor appears to use standard VESA mounting, unlike Apple.  If we are going to ding third party monitors, then Apple monitors should also be dinged for the same reasons.  If Apple monitors get a free pass, then third party monitors should get the same free pass.

Edited by Haggar - 3/24/14 at 10:23pm
post #61 of 76
It is an incredible setup but I'm pretty sure Apple will push the limits of technology with a 4K consumer product this or next year. It would be like Apple to just casually throw a 4K 30" iMac on the market for under $2500 with graphics that allow for gaming at 4K. Gaming at 4K could become a reality surprisingly soon with new technologies like G-sync allowing for variable frame rates to optimize graphics performance. Considering my MacBook Pro Retina 15" from 2012 run's Assasin's Creed 3 at 1080p smoothly%u2026

Considering the implications for programmers and content creators, it is a bit scary, but exciting as well. I think we will plateau at 4K for a decade or so before the next big leap happens. But 4K seems like the near future, even for consumer technology. I'm just still trying to wrap my head around it%u2026 a world where people watch 4K Youtube Videos and complain if its only 1080p%u2026
post #62 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknwntrr View Post

It is an incredible setup but I'm pretty sure Apple will push the limits of technology with a 4K consumer product this or next year. It would be like Apple to just casually throw a 4K 30" iMac on the market for under $2500 with graphics that allow for gaming at 4K. Gaming at 4K could become a reality surprisingly soon with new technologies like G-sync allowing for variable frame rates to optimize graphics performance. Considering my MacBook Pro Retina 15" from 2012 run's Assasin's Creed 3 at 1080p smoothly

Anandtech's currently recommended system for 4K gaming is 2 Radeon R9 290x in Crossfire. That's more powerful than the new Mac Pro, let alone the iMac. I do think there will be a 4K iMac but gaming will still have to be done at 1080p.

post #63 of 76
Does anyone know where to get that wallpaper on the Sharp display? It looks really, really nice.
post #64 of 76
PROBLEM

Switching to Multistream as is suggested in the text and in the manual results in problems after a restar. The first screen will be stretched horizontallly and the login screen that comes next is without a login window. You can overcome that by blind entering the oassword but then the finder is without the files that are on it.

I have cancelled the Multiscreen. Maybe this is solved in 10.9.3. Further using the setting from the monitor is as akward as DOS was. For Windows there is software but not for Mac. I expect Apple to bring the screen soon under its own name?

Jan Tromo
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Anandtech's currently recommended system for 4K gaming is 2 Radeon R9 290x in Crossfire. That's more powerful than the new Mac Pro, let alone the iMac. I do think there will be a 4K iMac but gaming will still have to be done at 1080p.

Ok, so let's assume a 4K iMac with 30" display will round up the current line up and there will still be "normal" iMacs in 21" and 27" sizes. That would be an incredibly awesome workhorse for any designers desktop. And given Nvidias current development of power efficient, cool and quiet mid-range graphics, this might allow for decent gaming in 1080p and a 4K experience of OS X. I sure hope something like this will happen and wait it out before switching from mobile to desktop.

post #66 of 76

I saw one of these monitors yesterday in the Sydney Apple Store. The staff had hooked it up with an HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort so it was only running at 30Hz (not the best way to advertise your products) but still - the screen was massive with a beautiful quality image. I haven't seen OS X in such glory since the days of the 30" Cinema Display (of which I had one).

post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I agree. We use to use Barco CRT calibrated monitors with color densitometers . The cost of the monitor system was around $4 - $5,000 per seat excluding the cost of the high end graphics card then add in $12,000 each for the Macs (loaded) cost, external drives, back up systems, networking and servers and so on ... extra. Costs are dramatically lower these days for high end Mac systems. I dare not even mention the cost of a drum scanner and a high end RIP and 2400 LPI imagesetter.

I remember those days as well. If I remember correctly, the calibration puck (or mouse) was around $2500 alone. We had a $150,000 drum scanner in one location I worked at. The largest drum required 2 people to mount it. I can't even remember who made the thing.

post #68 of 76
Samsung is out with their latest high-performance displays. headlined by the UD590. One billion colors, 3840 x 2160 4K display at 60 HZ using DisplayPort or 30HZ HDMI. Darn aggressive price at $750. Might fit the bill for some folks.
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ud590-aims-to-make-uhd-4k-mainstream-31323039/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2
post #69 of 76
Quote:

Samsung is out with their latest high-performance displays. headlined by the UD590. One billion colors, 3840 x 2160 4K display at 60 HZ using DisplayPort or 30HZ HDMI. Darn aggressive price at $750. Might fit the bill for some folks.
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ud590-aims-to-make-uhd-4k-mainstream-31323039/
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2

Safe to assume TN panel at that price?

edit: Yep! TN panel.

post #70 of 76
Quote:

Safe to assume TN panel at that price?

edit: Yep! TN panel.

For a solo designer or graphic artist I don't think the loss of extended viewing angles would be a deal-breaker. I'm no big fan of Samsung as a company but I might consider it for my own workstation nonetheless. I can wait for user reviews tho.
post #71 of 76
Quote:

For a solo designer or graphic artist I don't think the loss of extended viewing angles would be a deal-breaker. I'm no big fan of Samsung as a company but I might consider it for my own workstation nonetheless. I can wait for user reviews tho.

You might be right for the majority but after having used my 15" Retina MBP with an IPS display I won't even consider a larger display that isn't IPS (or something similar). And note the reason I'd want this is mostly for Xcode.

PS: Thanks for posting the links even if you are just a Samsung shill.

post #72 of 76

16:9 aspect ratio? It's so stupid!

post #73 of 76
Now we need an AppleInsider follow-up review that pits the SHARP to this $600 4k monitor:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2146320/samsungs-28inch-4k-monitor-price-drops-to-under-600.html
post #74 of 76

With 4K at those prices a 4K iMac becomes more and more likely, especially since its probably going to take until August for the next update.

post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

I remember those days as well. If I remember correctly, the calibration puck (or mouse) was around $2500 alone. We had a $150,000 drum scanner in one location I worked at. The largest drum required 2 people to mount it. I can't even remember who made the thing.

It seems like yesterday at times then, like you, I can't remember the name of something that cost as much as a house!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #76 of 76
4k displays are not expensive. There is a Sheiki display at Tiger Direct on sale for 389 a piece. So technically for 1000 you can get 3 of these and connect them to the new apple mac pro. Also these are not 32 inchers. These come in at 39 inches almost 40 and support 3880x2160 resolutions at 120 or 60 herts. Nice for the price. Tiger Direct limits your purchase to 5 of these but even one is more then enough for the average photographers out there. I don't know how good it is for video but it claims to upsample from regular. Oh did i mention it also includes a Tv receiver. So you get a monitor slash tv. Not bad.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Review: Sharp's 32" 4K display is a high-performance workhorse made for Apple's Mac Pro