or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video

HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video

post #1 of 107
Taiwanese handset maker HTC on Tuesday unveiled its latest flagship device intended to take on Apple's iPhone: the HTC One M8, with a larger screen, higher-spec internals, a depth-sensing camera and dual LED flash -- but no biometrics.

HTC One M8

The most noticeable change from last year's model is the larger display, which is up 0.3 inches diagonally to 5 inches. That extra real estate brings with it a slight increase in overall dimensions and an extra 17 grams of weight, though the M8 retains the same 0.37-inch profile as its predecessor.

HTC retained much of the last HTC One's industrial design, though they have moved to a "unibody" construction that eschews the plastic buffer between the case and display.

Internally, the M8 is driven by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 801 quad-core processor clocked at 2.3 gigahertz. The handset sports 2 gigabytes of RAM and ships with Android 4.4 "KitKat" with HTC's Sense and BlinkFeed customizations, though a pure Google edition will be available as well.

HTC One M8
HTC's dynamic Dot View case for the M8. The Dot View can display calls, texts, the time, and the weather.

The M8's new dual rear camera system, which HTC aptly calls Duo Camera, captures information about the depth of objects in the scene alongside the actual image. This will allow users to easily select the background and foreground for editing, as well as adjust focus after the photo is taken.

Apple has been seen working on similar post-shot focus technology, though with a much different implementation. Apple's approach, as shown in patent applications, involves a moveable lens placed inside the camera module itself rather than an exterior sensor.

The new camera system also sports a dual-tone flash that automatically selects a color based on available light and the ability to capture slow-motion video, much like the features introduced in the iPhone 5s.

Borrowing a page from rival Samsung, the M8 also ships with gesture recognition technology. Swiping in the air will activate the phone, putting it up to your ear will automatically answer a call, and double-tapping turns the phone off.

Additionally, HTC has added a new "extreme power saving mode" which the company says can give users an additional 15 hours of runtime at 5 percent battery, including receipt of text messages and phone calls. The company also built in a low-power sensor hub for fitness apps, similar to the iPhone 5s's M7 motion coprocessor.

Interestingly, the M8 does not include biometrics of any kind. The field has been reenergized by the success of Apple's Touch ID system, and Samsung added a fingerprint sensor of its own to the upcoming Galaxy S5.

HTC will ship the M8 in three colors -- Gunmetal Gray, Glacial Silver and Amber Gold -- in versions for more than 230 mobile operators. The handset will fetch $649 without a contract, with on-contract devices going for $199 or $249 depending on the carrier.
post #2 of 107
That video is awful. Haven't they learned that a cold, industrial video doesn't attract as many people a heartfelt, personal video. This is a communication device so show how it can connect you to others.
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/25/14 at 12:41pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #3 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That video is awful. Haven't they learned they a cold, industrial video doesn't attract as many people a heartfelt, personal video. This is a communication device so show how it can connect you to others.

Their commercials may be a bit warmer. Not sure who the intended audience for that particular video was so perhaps it was for press releases and tech sites where the facts are more important. No sense wasting the fluff when you can save it for consumers in a TV ad.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/25/14 at 12:46pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 107
Quote:

That video is awful. Haven't they learned they a cold, industrial video doesn't attract as many people a heartfelt, personal video. This is a communication device so show how it can connect you to others.

Haven't you heard? HTC's heat was turned off for nonpayment, so cold is all they know.lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #5 of 107

I like this smartphone. Only one thing that in my eyes is a bit of a disappointment is the camera. I get that megapixels aren't everything when it comes to photo quality. But I would have liked to have seen the One's camera being upped to 8MP or so (which would be more than enough) rather than sticking with 4MP.

Btw: the sensor hub is not specially built in by HTC. All Snapdragon processors since the Snapdragon 600 (so also last years HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4) have built in sensor hubs like Apple's M7 (which is a NXP LPC18xx). Samsung has been using Atmel sensor hub MCU's since the S4.

Edited by Chipsy - 3/25/14 at 1:05pm
post #6 of 107

I'm a pretty big fan of HTC phones and this looks great to me.  My 2 yr. contract comes up in May and it'll be tough choosing between this and the Sony Xperia Z2.

post #7 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Their commercials may be a bit warmer. Not sure who the intended audience for that particular video was so perhaps it was for press releases and tech sites where the facts are more important.

Fact: they confirmed this product is made from individual bits and that, for some reason, waves of water tend to crash around the outside of it.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #8 of 107

What an ugly POS.  They have no taste at all.  It is WAY too big to use one handed and it will not fit in a pocket.  The camera is not as good as Apple.  And Android is fragmented and has all kinds of malwhere on all the phones.

This is not even as good as the 5C which is outselling HTC.

post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Fact: they confirmed this product is made from individual bits and that, for some reason, waves of water tend to crash around the outside of it.

ROTFL!.

You are absolutely correct. I had looked at a different video earlier and not the one AI used. Shouldn't have assumed anything so my bad. Sorry Soli....
1embarassed.gif
post #10 of 107
Really HTC? These are the only colors you could come up with?

HTC-One-M8_Gunmetal_Silver_Gold-imp-1032x400.jpg

hero_hero_mba_11.png
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

Only one thing that is in my eyes is a bit of a disappointment is the camera. 

I don't like the SD card.  There is really no need for that or else Apple would have them on the iPhone.

post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

It is WAY too big to use one handed and it will not fit in a pocket.

Not everyone has tiny hands.  I have no problems using thier current device with one hand.  I can't imagine this small increase will change that.

post #13 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I'm a pretty big fan of HTC phones and this looks great to me.  My 2 yr. contract comes up in May and it'll be tough choosing between this and the Sony Xperia Z2.

Ohhh! You're into pain, aren't you??
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #14 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Their commercials may be a bit warmer. Not sure who the intended audience for that particular video was so perhaps it was for press releases and tech sites where the facts are more important. No sense wasting the fluff when you can save it for consumers in a TV ad.

Perhaps, but it's still god awful and even though it's mostly tech media at their event with the internet and live streaming they need to consider the larger picture. Even with the Mac Pro, which isn't considered a consumer product for the masses, they detail the industrial aspect not with CGI but with how it was designed and built. I see this as fundamentally different mentalities between Apple and most their competitors, and the one area I wish their competitors would copy Apple.

post #15 of 107
There are a few neat things there for sure. The trouble is getting new hardware features supported by Android app developers, since the fragmented OS and fragmented hardware are cobbled together by so many different parties with different interests.

That "dot display" is ridiculous... and I'm not ashamed to say I WANT IT!
post #16 of 107
Quote:

Not everyone has tiny hands.  I have no problems using thier current device with one hand.  I can't imagine this small increase will change that.

He's just trolling by making over-the-top pro-Apple comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Ohhh! You're into pain, aren't you??

I think it looks great for an Android-based device. That said, i would still go for a Nexus for the value and lack of any bolted-on super-UI.

* As opposed to sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That "dot display" is ridiculous... and I'm not ashamed to say I WANT IT!

1) I definitely don't want it.

2) How does the camera HW work with that case? It looks like it covers it up and then has another camera on it, or is that two different HTC devices in the image?
Edited by SolipsismX - 3/25/14 at 1:17pm

post #17 of 107
Quote:

What an ugly POS.  They have no taste at all.  It is WAY too big to use one handed and it will not fit in a pocket.  The camera is not as good as Apple.  And Android is fragmented and has all kinds of malwhere on all the phones.

It actually doesn't look all THAT bad actually...

post #18 of 107
Quote:

The iPhone 5C isn't even in the same league as this phone. Also if it's too big does that mean you won't be upgrading when Apple comes out with its' bigger iPhone? By the way it's called "malware".

http://www.cnet.com/news/htc-one-m8-specs-versus-samsung-galaxy-s5-iphone-5s/

post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

HTC-One-M8_Gunmetal_Silver_Gold-imp-1032x400.jpg

hero_hero_mba_11.png

And that's where I ditched my respect for HTC. So sad.
post #20 of 107
There was this techie girl who had two "4"s tattooed on her behind …

When she bent over -- "page not found".
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 3/25/14 at 1:39pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #21 of 107
Quote:

2) How does the camera HW work with that case? It looks like it covers it up and then has another camera on it, or is that two different HTC devices in the image?

It's showing the front (on the left) and back (on the right) of the phone.  No cameras are being covered.

post #22 of 107
Quote:

It's showing the front (on the left) and back (on the right) of the phone.  No cameras are being covered.

I just found a page detailing it more. Knowing that now I really don't like it. On top of that you need to double-tap the top to get it to turn on which seems pretty pointless compared to just hitting the button to see the time, etc. or it being a task to flip over the cover to use. I also wonder if the thickness of the plastic compared to the size of the holes means that dot-matrix images won't show up well under certain conditions. Will they have a way to adjust the lighted pixels for optimize viewing thought the case?

post #23 of 107

I quite like the idea of the dot case.

post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The iPhone 5C isn't even in the same league as this phone. Also if it's too big does that mean you won't be upgrading when Apple comes out with its' bigger iPhone? By the way it's called "malware".

http://www.cnet.com/news/htc-one-m8-specs-versus-samsung-galaxy-s5-iphone-5s/

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

post #25 of 107
Quote:

I just found a page detailing it more. Knowing that now I really don't like it. On top of that you need to double-tap the top to get it to turn on which seems pretty pointless compared to just hitting the button to see the time, etc. or it being a task to flip over the cover to use. I also wonder if the thickness of the plastic compared to the size of the holes means that dot-matrix images won't show up well under certain conditions. Will they have a way to adjust the lighted pixels for optimize viewing thought the case?

The ad is awful and I'm still in shock they picked those three colors. The double-tap doesn't make any sense I'm not sure what value that can add. Yep down to ripping off colors and crazy hardware. Too bad the ppi are good and the phone should be fast. 

post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

I would hope so the phone was just released today. HTC overall builds the best Android phone, the fit and finish of their phones are always good. Can't tell you how well a phone is going to sell when it was released less than 24 hours ago. The problem with HTC and LG is they are putting too many odd features on their phones. 

The index finger control on the back of the LG G2 just plain stupid. The double-tap on the HTC One also makes no sense. However some on this forum have a habit of bashing something they never touched or even saw in person. We will find out if the 5C is a success if Apple decides to release a 6C. 

post #27 of 107
"No biometric sensors" was mentioned twice. Just because Apple has a fingerprint sensor HTC does not have to have one. I know the One Max has a fingerprint sensor but I never read that it worked reliably. Maybe choosing to skip the fingerprint sensor was a wise decision to help the M8 provide a better experience to its customers. Or, it is possible Samsung locked up all or nearly all of the Validity fingerprint sensor supply so that HTC could not buy any for the M8.
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Just because Apple has a fingerprint sensor HTC does not have to have one.

Considering how brilliant it is on the iPhone, that Samsung et al. are using them, including the HTC One Max, it seems to be that it should be noted if there isn't one.

post #29 of 107
With timely OS updates too!

Oh wait...
post #30 of 107
All the hyperbole I'm reading about this phones design is laughable. When the 5 came out the tech press referred to it as a stretched out 4S and mocked Apple's video where Jony Ive said it was completely redesigned. The design of the One (M8) isn't that much different to last years device and yet the tech media is calling it the Cadillac of phones and the design more aspirational than the iPhone. BGR has already crowned it the best smartphone ever. Seems a bit of a double standard to me. If Apple doesn't radically redesign their phone it's considered boring and just an incremental update. Yet that's exactly what we got with HTCs new phone but the tech press is drooling over it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 1rolleyes.gif
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That's really pathetic!

post #32 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's really pathetic!
I know design matters to a lot of people and I applaud HTC for bringing good design to Android handsets. But if this phone was plastic (even high quality plastic like 5C or Lumia phones) would the BGRs of the world be branding it the best smartphone ever? From what I can tell it's an incremental upgrade on par with the GS5 (though the camera seems to be meh) but people are shitting their pants over this phone while they yawned when the GS5 was announced. All because the phone case is metal.
post #33 of 107
Quote:

That video is awful. Haven't they learned that a cold, industrial video doesn't attract as many people a heartfelt, personal video. This is a communication device so show how it can connect you to others.

I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.
post #34 of 107

It's a very nice looking phone, I'll give them that, and the dot case looks cool.

Random fact: double-tapping the phone will also wake it up from sleep, similar to Windows Phone 8.

Edited by Emes - 3/25/14 at 3:47pm
post #35 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.

That is considerably down from the 51 models that they offered just 2 years ago.

http://allthingsd.com/20120126/htc-to-give-up-on-quantity-and-try-quality/

Mass marketing can be beat by quality marketing, but HTC has neither.
post #36 of 107
Quote:

If I wasn't an iPhone user, I'd definitely get an HTC such as this, probably the best non-Apple smartphone that I've seen close up. It's a shame that so many Android users buy that Samsung junk instead.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #37 of 107
An iPhone for Apple haters. 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

By the looks of it, they just cut out the blue and red versions of the first HTC One:

htc-one-gold-marquee-slide-02.png 

And black
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And black

And the "metallic brown" colour.

But I'd say they dropped all the current colors to replace with a more subtle gold, smokey silver, and light silver.

post #40 of 107
Quote:

The double tapping is actually surprisingly productive.  On my LG G2, the power button is at the back (insane change just for the sake of standing out), so I started using the double tap to turn it on.  Now I find that I want to do that on my Nexus devices as well!  You are of course shaving off just fractions of seconds, but it's easy to get used to.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video