or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video

HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video - Page 2

post #41 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

The double tapping is actually surprisingly productive.  On my LG G2, the power button is at the back (insane change just for the sake of standing out), so I started using the double tap to turn it on.  Now I find that I want to do that on my Nexus devices as well!  You are of course shaving off just fractions of seconds, but it's easy to get used to.

I can see that. Touch ID saves only a fraction of a second over a 4-digit PIN but it's handy I find myself wanting to do it on my iPad.

The part I don't get is using it just to show some light points with limited info that then needs the flap opened and the Home Button pressed and PIN entered to use the device. That seems like it's just a novelty that will wear off quickly.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #42 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really HTC? These are the only colors you could come up with?

HTC-One-M8_Gunmetal_Silver_Gold-imp-1032x400.jpg

hero_hero_mba_11.png
Not quite Samsung copy Apple business plan. But HTC shadow Apple business plan...
post #43 of 107
Good luck to HTC. Hope they take sales away from Sammy.
post #44 of 107

If I HAD to pick an Android handset, this would be the one. I kinda like the dot display, I like the idea of being able to refocus a shot and I don't mind how it looks. Plus I absolutely despise Samesung, so they would never get a look in, and none of the other 5,000,000 Android manufacturers are doing anything worthwhile.

post #45 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Considering how brilliant it is on the iPhone, that Samsung et al. are using them, including the HTC One Max, it seems to be that it should be noted if there isn't one.

I'd much rather have no fingerprint sensor than a crappy knock-off.

post #46 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I'd much rather have no fingerprint sensor than a crappy knock-off.

No argument here. Being best in show or not showing at all is why I tend to use Apple's products.

post #47 of 107

Ars' preliminary review is up: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/hands-on-with-the-htc-one-m8-fix-the-bad-keep-the-good-add-a-gimmicky-camera/

They're not impressed by the dual camera, apparently it's just bokeh simulation rather than actual depth changing. On the other hand, they seem to think the double-tap-wake works well. There's also this interesting part:

Quote:
 HTC has also added an "extreme battery saver" mode, which will turn off just about all communication (phone, text, sync) unless you manually request it, and it will also disable multitasking and the home screen. What's left is a simple "dumbphone"-like interface that HTC says will last up to two weeks.

I've lost count of the time I wished my phone had something like that. Hopefully it'll turn out to be more than just a gimmick.

post #48 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Ars' preliminary review is up: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/03/hands-on-with-the-htc-one-m8-fix-the-bad-keep-the-good-add-a-gimmicky-camera/

They're not impressed by the dual camera, apparently it's just bokeh simulation rather than actual depth changing. On the other hand, they seem to think the double-tap-wake works well. There's also this interesting part:
I've lost count of the time I wished my phone had something like that. Hopefully it'll turn out to be more than just a gimmick.

1) On AnandTech many people were detailing how the camera is a definite downgrade. They mentioned things I don't understand like OIS not being included.

2) "Extreme battery saver" mode sounds interesting but is that some survival option in Settings so you can last 2 weeks or is that an intelligent way for the phone to last a long time with only a small, likely unnoticeable drop in performance so it can last 2 weeks? I assume it's the former.

post #49 of 107
Quote:

Considering how brilliant it is on the iPhone, that Samsung et al. are using them, including the HTC One Max, it seems to be that it should be noted if there isn't one.

Why did you not consider the rest of my comment? Here it is...

I know the One Max has a fingerprint sensor but I never read that it worked reliably. Maybe choosing to skip the fingerprint sensor was a wise decision to help the M8 provide a better experience to its customers. Or, it is possible Samsung locked up all or nearly all of the Validity fingerprint sensor supply so that HTC could not buy any for the M8.
post #50 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Why did you not consider the rest of my comment?

I read it but it wasn't relevant to the part of your reply to which I was responding. IOW, the reasons for it not being included are not germane to why it's exclusion was likely mentioned in this article. Biometrics are have been abuzz in technology since before Touch ID was announced. If Samsung doesn't include a digitizer on the next Note I would hope that would be noted, especially if Apple et al. finally offer the same feature not their tablets.

post #51 of 107
Quote:

All the hyperbole I'm reading about this phones design is laughable. When the 5 came out the tech press referred to it as a stretched out 4S and mocked Apple's video where Jony Ive said it was completely redesigned. The design of the One (M8) isn't that much different to last years device and yet the tech media is calling it the Cadillac of phones and the design more aspirational than the iPhone. BGR has already crowned it the best smartphone ever. Seems a bit of a double standard to me. If Apple doesn't radically redesign their phone it's considered boring and just an incremental update. Yet that's exactly what we got with HTCs new phone but the tech press is drooling over it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 1rolleyes.gif

It's no surprise that it's being crowned the best out there.  The HTC One is widely considered the best smartphone of 2013 (outside of sites like AI, of course).  The phone is amazing and well worth the praise, and it's really impressive when one considers HTC's release cycle.  HTC releases their flagship early in the year so other companies have the rest of the year to outdo them.  A company like Apple, who releases their flagships at the end of the year, should be getting best smartphone of the year every time as they can have the latest and greatest right before the cut off.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #52 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

It's no surprise that it's being crowned the best out there.  The HTC One is widely considered the best smartphone of 2013 (outside of sites like AI, of course).  The phone is amazing and well worth the praise, and it's really impressive when one considers HTC's release cycle.  HTC releases their flagship early in the year so other companies have the rest of the year to outdo them.  A company like Apple, who releases their flagships at the end of the year, should be getting best smartphone of the year every time as they can have the latest and greatest right before the cut off.

Best is a subjective term.

You have to consider that Apple deals with a lot more volume than HTC so a lot more resources and production have to be done before they can sell a single unit, especially since they sell many millions their opening weekend so it's possible that Apple has to sign off their final design before HTC does; but that's beside the point. I guess I fail to see how it would be "the best" in 2013 if they waited until later in the year when iPhones from previous years are besting the HTC One in independent tests.

Edited by SolipsismX - 3/25/14 at 5:46pm

post #53 of 107
Quote:

All the hyperbole I'm reading about this phones design is laughable. When the 5 came out the tech press referred to it as a stretched out 4S and mocked Apple's video where Jony Ive said it was completely redesigned. The design of the One (M8) isn't that much different to last years device and yet the tech media is calling it the Cadillac of phones and the design more aspirational than the iPhone. BGR has already crowned it the best smartphone ever. Seems a bit of a double standard to me. If Apple doesn't radically redesign their phone it's considered boring and just an incremental update. Yet that's exactly what we got with HTCs new phone but the tech press is drooling over it like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 1rolleyes.gif

I think HTC One won MWC best smartphone for 2013.  It did not sell well.  May be second try will be different?

post #54 of 107
Quote:

My 1rolleyes.gif was more to do with hypocrisy. Let's face it the 2014 One doesn't look that much different than the 2013 One yet I haven't seen one tech site ding HTC the way Apple and Samsung get dinged because their designs look the same. Reading BGR's coverage HTC could have served up dog shit and they would have asked for seconds because it was served up in a unibody aluminum chassis.
post #55 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

I think HTC One won MWC best smartphone for 2013.  It did not sell well.  May be second try will be different?

See one post above yours.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #56 of 107
Quote:

My 1rolleyes.gif was more to do with hypocrisy. Let's face it the 2014 One doesn't look that much different than the 2013 One yet I haven't seen one tech site ding HTC the way Apple and Samsung get dinged because their designs look the same. Reading BGR's coverage HTC could have served up dog shit and they would have asked for seconds because it was served up in a unibody aluminum chassis.

They did tweak it enough to be different from last years.
post #57 of 107
Quote:

Lots of digital ink was used writing countless reviews and comments about the original HTC One. It was thought to be one of the best phones around.

But you're right... it didn't sell very well.

I don't see what has changed in a year to reverse HTC's fortunes. If anything... the mobile marketplace is even tougher now.

Best of luck to them.
post #58 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They did tweak it enough to be different from last years.
iPhone 5 was completely different but that didn't stop tech press from calling it a stretched out 4S. I could call this years One last years One minus the plastic band in the middle.
post #59 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Lots of digital ink was used writing countless reviews and comments about the original HTC One. It was thought to be one of the best phones around.

I don't see what has changed in a year to reverse HTC's fortunes. If anything... the mobile marketplace is even tougher now.

Best of luck to them.
Especially with the weak camera. I've seen some of the photos taken with the camera and they're pretty bad. If it had a better camera I think Samsung might have been a bit worried, but now they have nothing to worry about IMO. Better camera > unibody metal chassis.
post #60 of 107
Quote:

Best of luck to them.

HTC was not able to obtain enough 4MP UltraPixel image sensors from STM initially.  It lost momentum. 

post #61 of 107
Quote:

Best is a subjective term.

You have to consider that Apple deals with a lot more volume than HTC so a lot more resources and production have to be done before they can sell a single unit, especially since they sell many millions their opening weekend so it's possible that Apple has to sign off their final design before HTC does; but that's beside the point. I guess I fail to see how it would be "the best" in 2013 if they waited until later in the year when iPhones from previous years are besting the HTC One in independent tests.

Best is certainly subjective and that's why I fully expect the iPhone 5S to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at AppleInsider.  Likewise, I'd expect the Moto X to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at a site like MotorolaInsider and the Galaxy S4 to be considered the best at SamsungInsider.

Your benchmark scores, while impressive, mean little to me.  AI members are traditionally anti-benchmark scores and for good reason.  I would have expected you to know how little benchmark scores mean as you're a long time member.  However, your charts do help to reinforce my point!  The newer phone topped the older phone in how well they can perform that benchmark test.  Despite this, the HTC One was still considered the best smartphone of 2013 by most sources.  Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Quote:

Best of luck to them.

This is the truth and as a big fan of HTC phones, the truth hurts.  I doubt the HTC One M8 is going to turn things around for them.

post #62 of 107
Quote:

Best is certainly subjective and that's why I fully expect the iPhone 5S to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at AppleInsider.  Likewise, I'd expect the Moto X to be considered the best smartphone of 2013 at a site like MotorolaInsider and the Galaxy S4 to be considered the best at SamsungInsider.

Your benchmark scores, while impressive, mean little to me.  AI members are traditionally anti-benchmark scores and for good reason.  I would have expected you to know how little benchmark scores mean as you're a long time member.  However, your charts do help to reinforce my point!  The newer phone topped the older phone in how well they can perform that benchmark test.  Despite this, the HTC One was still considered the best smartphone of 2013 by most sources.  Pretty impressive if you ask me.

They are if they scores are so segmented that they don't consider other scores or the user experience. For example, having the fastest CPU in a phone means nothing if get horrible battery life or if the OS and other SW is so inefficient that a slower device with more efficient code feels faster even if in raw computing it's slower. Same goes for the display, having a higher PPI is great (to a point) but there are other considerations like the batter life and GPU performance that needs to be considered thereby making the "best" claim on benchmark pointless in and of itself.
Quote:
This is the truth and as a big fan of HTC phones, the truth hurts.  I doubt the HTC One M8 is going to turn things around for them.

As @Marvin stated, their lineup is too diluted to have a breakaway success.

edit: I accidentally found a Huddler feature that displays the various keyboard shortcuts one can use: Option-Zero

post #63 of 107
Quote:

HTC was not able to obtain enough 4MP UltraPixel image sensors from STM initially.  It lost momentum. 

Hmmmm... I didn't know about the supply issue.
post #64 of 107
Quote:

As @Marvin stated, their lineup is too diluted to have a breakaway success.

And Marvin is certainly correct.  I think that hurt them a lot early on and it allowed Samsung to run away with things in the Android market.  HTC bent over to appease the carriers who wanted 'exclusive' phones.  HTC is getting better about it now, but I definitely think it hurt their brand in the long run to start the way they did.

post #65 of 107
I don't see my phone, the Note 3,listed in the benchmarks.

Where did it come in?
post #66 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM76 View Post

I don't see my phone, the Note 3,listed in the benchmarks.

Where did it come in?

They're from Anandtech's review of the iPhone 5s published on Sept. 17, 2013.  The Note 3 hadn't been released yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

post #67 of 107
Quote:

They're from Anandtech's review of the iPhone 5s published on Sept. 17, 2013.  The Note 3 hadn't been released yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

I didn't know he was replying to my post. @DSM76, here are the results from their Note 3 review.

post #68 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

You're right about that. The 5C is selling way more.

Wait a minute, I thought Apple's reporting made it impossible to know how many 5C they've sold? That's the fundamental argument of those who claim Tim was not expressing disappointment when he said sales of the 5C were not in precise alignment with officially sanctioned expectations that may or may not have been better or worse than whatever quantities may or may not have actually sold. If that's the case, how can you know that the 5C is outselling… well, anything?

Someone is making claims that are not true.

Lorin Schultz (formerly V5V)

Audio Engineer

V5V Digital Media, Vancouver, BC Canada

Audio Engineer

post #69 of 107
Quote:

Let's face it the 2014 One doesn't look that much different than the 2013 One

Hm. My reaction to it was disappointment because I thought last year's model looked much better. My initial impression was that the look is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

yet I haven't seen one tech site ding HTC the way Apple and Samsung get dinged because their designs look the same.

Maybe they're giving HTC a free pass, but maybe they perceive the same difference I do.

Audio Engineer

Audio Engineer

post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Wait a minute, I thought Apple's reporting made it impossible to know how many 5C they've sold? That's the fundamental argument of those who claim Tim was not expressing disappointment when he said sales of the 5C were not in precise alignment with officially sanctioned expectations that may or may not have been better or worse than whatever quantities may or may not have actually sold. If that's the case, how can you know that the 5C is outselling… well, anything?

Someone is making claims that are not true.

It's a safe statement to say that the 5C has outsold the HTC One M8 because the M8 just got released today.  It's not really a fair comparison to make on release day, but don't forget what website you're on.  ;)

post #71 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

With timely OS updates too!

Oh wait...

Well, hopefully they have that part sorted out with 4.4.

HTC was one of the last phones I was considering before the iPhone released. They were making some neat phones during that time.

Then the iPhone happened.

post #72 of 107

So many people hating on this phone, at least HTC pays Apple to use their patents :P Id support HTC over pretty much every other Android handset maker. 

post #73 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Hm. My reaction to it was disappointment because I thought last year's model looked much better. My initial impression was that the look is very different.

Maybe they're giving HTC a free pass, but maybe they perceive the same difference I do.
I liked last years model better too, but I don't think this model looks that much different. If this was Apple (or Samsung) the tech press would mocking it as just an "incremental update" and wondering what Apple designers do with all their time (as was said when the 5 was announced). The camera appears to be crap yet CNET's review gave the device 4.5 out of 5 stars (5S and S4 got 4 stars). The Verge too gave it a really high score when they've dinged other phones in the past for a weak camera. It's almost as if the tech press has decided to help prop up HTC in any way they can. Maybe that's a good thing; not letting Samsung become the only viable Android option.
post #74 of 107
Quote:

And Marvin is certainly correct.  I think that hurt them a lot early on and it allowed Samsung to run away with things in the Android market.  HTC bent over to appease the carriers who wanted 'exclusive' phones.  HTC is getting better about it now, but I definitely think it hurt their brand in the long run to start the way they did.

A big mistake was making the Droid DNA for Verizon, and the HTC One for every other carrier. My brother was a big HTC fan but when his contract was up he chose the iPhone because there wasn't a good enough HTC phone available at the time. Their release dates don't match up with when their customers contracts are up, so they're left buying alternatives.
post #75 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I feel bad for HTC. They try so hard with the products and they just can't send the right message about why people should buy their products instead of Samsung's. HTC deserves to be where Samsung is now.

It might help if they didn't make 22 different models of smartphone:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

That way they don't dilute the attention for their flagship models. Then they should actually promote the things they've done better with the flagship model.

It might help if they had a marketing budget of $14 billion, like Samsung.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

I like this smartphone. Only one thing that in my eyes is a bit of a disappointment is the camera. I get that megapixels aren't everything when it comes to photo quality. But I would have liked to have seen the One's camera being upped to 8MP or so (which would be more than enough) rather than sticking with 4MP.
Btw: the sensor hub is not specially built in by HTC. All Snapdragon processors since the Snapdragon 600 (so also last years HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4) have built in sensor hubs like Apple's M7 (which is a NXP LPC18xx). Samsung has been using Atmel sensor hub MCU's since the S4.

While HTC is probable the only other phone maker I'd also consider (I like their build quality) besides apple at the moment, wouldn't you want to wait to see apple latest offering? From May it could only be 3-4 months away.

Just makes since to look at the playing field since we are all stuck with 2 year contracts.

Apple has got to have something up their sleeve with the iPhone 6 besides just a bigger screen.

Yet, a bigger screen and a refresh physical form factor is all I require.... which is all rumored to be true;)
post #77 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I don't like the SD card.  There is really no need for that or else Apple would have them on the iPhone.

The only reason Apple doesn't have it in the iPhone is because if you want more storage, you have to pay an extra $100 over the previous storage capacity. Purely a profit reason only. Not every phone manufacturer feels the need to rip people off when in comes to getting more built in storage.

post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by SudoNym View Post

I don't like the SD card.  There is really no need for that or else Apple would have them on the iPhone.

I used to believe that.  But now with lots stuff in my phone, I wish I could use SD card to store all the photos and videos instead of always running out of space and need to sync with my mbp.  Yeah, syncing up to cloud is another option but it eats up my bandwidth fast, or i have to constantly looking for free wifis...

post #79 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

A big mistake was making the Droid DNA for Verizon, and the HTC One for every other carrier. My brother was a big HTC fan but when his contract was up he chose the iPhone because there wasn't a good enough HTC phone available at the time. Their release dates don't match up with when their customers contracts are up, so they're left buying alternatives.

People's contracts expire every single day of the year.

If Verizon has 100 million customers... 130,000 of them have their contracts expire today. And 130,000 will expire tomorrow... and so on.

There is really no good time for a company to release a phone based on when people's contracts are up.

If you release a phone today... someone will be ready to buy today. And the same is true for tomorrow. And next week. And next month.

My Verizon contract happens to expire on November 30, 2015. But there are plenty of people whose contracts expire tomorrow... and every day in between. So like I said... there is no perfect time for a company to release a phone since contracts are constantly expiring.

A person upgrades their phone once every 2 years... but people upgrade their phone every day.

Their best bet is to just release the phone and hope someone buys it. That's pretty much all they can do.
post #80 of 107
Quote:

People's contracts expire every single day of the year.

If Verizon has 100 million customers... 130,000 of them have their contracts expire today. And 130,000 will expire tomorrow... and so on.

There is really no good time for a company to release a phone based on when people's contracts are up.

If you release a phone today... someone will be ready to buy today. And the same is true for tomorrow. And next week. And next month.

My Verizon contract happens to expire on November 30, 2015. But there are plenty of people whose contracts expire tomorrow... and every day in between. So like I said... there is no perfect time for a company to release a phone since contracts are constantly expiring.

A person upgrades their phone once every 2 years... but people upgrade their phone every day.

Their best bet is to just release the phone and hope someone buys it. That's pretty much all they can do.

There are a lot whose contract expiry dates coincide with iPhone launch dates, millions of contracts restart at that time.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › HTC unveils 5" HTC One M8 with gesture controls, dual rear cameras, slo-mo video