or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Is it a good time to buy an iMac or worth waiting for a 2014 model?

Is it a good time to buy an iMac or worth waiting for a 2014 model?

post #1 of 4

My birthday is coming up and I have been toying with the idea of buying a new Mac to replace my aging hackintosh desktop.

I was considering a fully up specc'ed build to order iMac i7 with SSD, but now I am wondering if it would be best to wait until later in the year for a 2014 edition since it's possibly be over half way through it's life when I come to buy. 

post #2 of 4
There is always a newer higher-specification model coming. However, most new models are evolutionary advances. If a revolutionary Mac is coming, then there will be some anticipation of it. We may not know what the revolutionary new Mac will be, but we will know that it will be. This was the case of the Power Mac G5 and the new black canister Mac Pro. It was also the case of the Intel-based Macs.

You appear to be set on a new iMac. iMacs have seen only evolutionary changes for the better part of a decade. I don't expect this situation to change anytime soon. Therefore, I recommend that you determine the highest specification iMac that you can afford. Then about 10% over that.

You can expect your new iMac to give faithful service for the better part of a decade.
post #3 of 4

Why the new i Mac now it is only slight modifications when their new models come out.

post #4 of 4

The wait for 4K really isn't a huge problem, but the fact that the current iMac doesn't have Thunderbolt 2 may become an issue later.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Is it a good time to buy an iMac or worth waiting for a 2014 model?